Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Ford Mustang  (Read 26434 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: First Drive: 2011 Ford Mustang
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2010, 08:02:24 am »
For everyone who laments the lack of IRS, well, it would be nice, but if they can make a flawed, or less than perfect design do the job, then who cares? The Porsche 911 has the engine in the absolute wrong place, but they seem to be making due with it.

:fiver: thanks

Calvin

« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2010, 08:17:51 am »
The US GT lists for $29,645 while the Canadian GT lists for $38,499.

???

Ford - give your head a shake.

Apa.ca shows that Ford covers warranty for US purchased cars.

Even with a 5% exchange rate, it shouldn't be too difficult to save $7,000 on a US purchase.
Anybody know why there is such a price difference?

It's because our guest is comparing apples with oranges. The Canadian Mustang GT comes only with the premium package and heated leather seats. The US doesn't. The price difference between 2010 GTs with HID, secirity package and 19" wheels is $6,445.

It still doesn't explain the entire price difference but it does bring the price is a little closer to a value that some folks could use try to explain the higher costs of doing business in Canada. Note what with the current cash incentive in Canada, the price difference is only $650.

Only $650!?  I'm in! LOL

One thing I don't get is why we always get the loaded versin - of almost everything (Mazda Spd 3 another example).  Uh...I mean, we're a nation of spend thrifts (true or not - small cars do sell better here than say in the US on a per capita basis) why can't we get the 5.0 with cloth, NO nav...fewer bells & whistles, you know, like the old LX's of 20 years ago (damn that's a long time - where did it go!).  All I want is a 6 spd and the Track Pack...make mine white with blue GT350 stripes and matching 19" Halibrand style wheels and I'm gold!

I wonder if they wouldn't do themselves a favour by offering something lower in the price range so they'd actually end up selling more in Canada, rather than less.  But I guess, like someone else said...they're happy with the market they have.

Mitlov

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2010, 12:09:05 pm »
Only $650!?  I'm in! LOL

One thing I don't get is why we always get the loaded versin - of almost everything (Mazda Spd 3 another example).  Uh...I mean, we're a nation of spend thrifts (true or not - small cars do sell better here than say in the US on a per capita basis) why can't we get the 5.0 with cloth, NO nav...fewer bells & whistles, you know, like the old LX's of 20 years ago (damn that's a long time - where did it go!).  All I want is a 6 spd and the Track Pack...make mine white with blue GT350 stripes and matching 19" Halibrand style wheels and I'm gold!

I wonder if they wouldn't do themselves a favour by offering something lower in the price range so they'd actually end up selling more in Canada, rather than less.  But I guess, like someone else said...they're happy with the market they have.

Because even when you talk about per capita sales instead of absolute sales, Americans buy a LOT more Mustangs than Canadians ever have.  The more you buy per capita, the more Ford can afford to offer diverse choices in your market.  The fewer you buy, the more likely you are to just have one or two trim levels to choose from. 

And I wouldn't be surprised to find that Ford has done studies in Canada and found that more people would buy a loaded Mustang GT than a stripped Mustang GT, so as long as they're only offering one, they offer the loaded one.

Here's a question--ovr50, was your Mustang GT stripped or loaded?

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2010, 12:25:14 pm »

Ovr's was a GT-CS (GT - California Special)...so it was pretty loaded up.

Note what with the current cash incentive in Canada, the price difference is only $650.

There are incentives in the US too.

I found a new 2010 GT with the MT, Skyroof, upgraded leather for $28,000 or so...not that I was looking of course. ;D

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2010, 01:26:53 pm »

Ovr's was a GT-CS (GT - California Special)...so it was pretty loaded up.

Note what with the current cash incentive in Canada, the price difference is only $650.

There are incentives in the US too.

I found a new 2010 GT with the MT, Skyroof, upgraded leather for $28,000 or so...not that I was looking of course. ;D

Come on TG, get the frickin' mustang will ya!  You know you want to...

And it has to be Grabber Blue, then you can wear your hat!!  :P

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2010, 01:35:35 pm »
No 6.1% duty to pay either on domestic product. DO IT MAN!!!! :D
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2010, 07:03:46 pm »
I may be all alone (not that it ever stops me) but I sure wish we could make it through a single new car discussion without the endless bitching about US prices versus Canadian, US options versus Canadian, heck, flippin' US colours versus Canadian.  If you think the grass is so much greener, move.  Or else do something meaningful to effect change.  Hint: anonymous grousing on a web forum won't change a thing.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2010, 07:08:01 pm »
I may be all alone (not that it ever stops me) but I sure wish we could make it through a single new car discussion without the endless bitching about US prices versus Canadian, US options versus Canadian, heck, flippin' US colours versus Canadian.  If you think the grass is so much greener, move.  Or else do something meaningful to effect change.  Hint: anonymous grousing on a web forum won't change a thing.

Jaeger

No one is bitching on this page, apart from a guest, and who cares about them!  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2010, 07:10:59 pm »

Jaeger

The last time someone said that, we ended up with Turbo Bob!!   :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2010, 08:51:26 pm »
Come on TG, get the frickin' mustang will ya!  You know you want to...

And it has to be Grabber Blue, then you can wear your hat!!  :P

Nice catch on the hat TB!

Don't think it's gonna happen boys.  After the plane, the RX-8, more plane...and a hangar...me thinks I'm done for a while "or else".

Now if I landed a couple of proposals I have out there....

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2010, 09:16:56 pm »
Mitlov - "Here's a question--ovr50, was your Mustang GT stripped or loaded?"

TopGun answered correctly - it was a '07 GT-CS so was pretty loaded up. It was also a 'vert.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2010, 10:21:11 pm »

Jaeger

The last time someone said that, we ended up with Turbo Bob!!   :rofl2:

The grass IS greener over here!  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Calvin

« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2010, 12:00:12 am »

Jaeger

No one is bitching on this page, apart from a guest, and who cares about them!  :rofl2:
Hmmm...directed at mois?  ::) Nope...can't be.  I wasn't bitching.  Phew. (BTW - I may not be a "member" but I spend more than my share of time on the site too.)

kirm

« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2010, 03:33:51 pm »
"If you think the grass is so much greener, move.  Or else do something meaningful to effect change."

I wouldn't hesitate to move if I was offered a job in my field of interest at a decent wage. I don't think the grass is greener in the States but it isn't browner either. Higher crime, lower taxes, more gestapoesc cops, lower cost of living...it all balances out in the end, I guess.

I love the new Mustang but I'm not in the market for one. My "something meaningful to effect change"? I would cross-border shop and save a bundle.

I still disagree on many of your conclusions on Supply and Demand. It's like Rubert said: Demand is kept artificially low by Ford's Canadian pricing policy. Besides that when there is no duty across the border for North American goods then the border is transparent to NA good. That SHOULD mean to the automotive manufacturers that NA is one big market. We should be lumped in with the Americans Economically speaking. So there's your demand; all of NA. And supply? Well some are supplied at a lower cost than others, evidently.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2010, 08:41:23 pm »
For folks interested in the new V8 engine, excellent article (the best I came across even if it is a few months old)

http://www.nationalpost.com/cars/story.html?id=2395821

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2010, 10:44:48 am »
"If you think the grass is so much greener, move.  Or else do something meaningful to effect change."

I wouldn't hesitate to move if I was offered a job in my field of interest at a decent wage. I don't think the grass is greener in the States but it isn't browner either. Higher crime, lower taxes, more gestapoesc cops, lower cost of living...it all balances out in the end, I guess.

I love the new Mustang but I'm not in the market for one. My "something meaningful to effect change"? I would cross-border shop and save a bundle.

I still disagree on many of your conclusions on Supply and Demand. It's like Rubert said: Demand is kept artificially low by Ford's Canadian pricing policy. Besides that when there is no duty across the border for North American goods then the border is transparent to NA good. That SHOULD mean to the automotive manufacturers that NA is one big market. We should be lumped in with the Americans Economically speaking. So there's your demand; all of NA. And supply? Well some are supplied at a lower cost than others, evidently.

It IS about supply and demand.  Many people won't cross border shop because they think it's a pain and can't be bothered, that is a barrier that means Ford can charge more. Once enough people think that the border thing isn't and issue AND they are prepared to either travel or to buy over the phone (another barrier to entry) then the price will adjust accordingly.

speed12sil

« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2010, 04:12:22 pm »
Mitlov - "Here's a question--ovr50, was your Mustang GT stripped or loaded?"

TopGun answered correctly - it was a '07 GT-CS so was pretty loaded up. It was also a 'vert.

What made you get rid of your GT-CS? Did you replace that car with the M3 in your sig? What swayed you over to the M3 sedan instead of the C63/CTS-V?

I might've missed you discussing this in another thread, but curious mind want to know. I'm still torn between the CTS-V/C63/M3 and the Cayman S   :P

Dan

« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2010, 10:25:26 pm »
With all the Options I would want puts the GT at almost $48,000. The BMW 135i with similar options plus the Dinan upgrade is only $3k more and is a better Machine. Don't take my word for it, go take if for a spin right after you try the Mustang. And why is it that American cars need such big beast engines to get that kind of horse power ?? The 135i with the Dinan upgrade gets you 384 bhp and 421 lbs-ft with 0-60 = 4.8secs all with a 3.0L engine and a big plus, the dinan upgrade adds only .1 L/100.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2010, 10:50:43 pm »
With all the Options I would want puts the GT at almost $48,000.

$48K? 

For my GT, $42,579 less $3,967 (Employee Pricing Discount) and $2,000 (Delivery Allowance) for a total of $36,612.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2010, 01:41:37 am »
I barely got my Mustang to $40K, while the basically similarly equipped 135 was about $52K. Even without the difference in price, I would take the Mustang. Just couldn't stand looking at the homely 135i every day, regardless how well it drove. Now, the 335i is a different beast, and one I would be happy to have in my garage.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 01:43:11 am by Erik »
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons