Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Ford Mustang  (Read 26418 times)

speed12sil

Re: First Drive: 2011 Ford Mustang
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2010, 07:32:26 pm »

Well, I for one am getting tired of the "if they don't put an IRS in it's crap" comments. It's like beating a dead...horse...LOL. Seems they've been beating BMW's and other reviews (Ok...reference to Autoblog again, if we have to) states the Camaro's IRS is worse than the Mustang's SRA.  So I think you may be wrong on your wish. 

Although, your idea would make a sweet SVO model.  Or even with an Eco-boosted 4 banger.  That, could be cool.  8)

Eh I'm not saying it's crap if it doesn't come with the IRS. It's just that now Ford has finally stepped up to the challenge and fixed all the other things that are often criticized; Namely, the hard plasticy pre '11 interior, the anemic base offering, they couldn't go the full distance and fix the suspension. It's a shame that everything else is pretty much as good as it should be, but they just won't change that final weak link in the chain.

But whatever, I guess the target group that they're after mostly don't care how the rear tires are hung, so long as the ride is decent and can be used for drag racing or cruising down the boulevard, to use the very cliche term.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2010, 07:38:26 pm »
They had IRS in 2003, and it wasn't that great.  Besides, with all of the suspension tweaks available for not alot of money, the SRA can be made to perform very, very well.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2010, 10:36:03 pm »
Where these tests continue to fall down is comparing them to other cars...that's what we all do...and it's fun!

Sound like AutoBlog freak'n loves it!!! 

If they'd only put a freaking IRS in the back. Call this a troll post if you want, but the same tired o' "The SRA is just fine on the track" or "But most buyers do drag racing anyway"  still doesn't excuse this car from getting an IRS, when the similarly priced Camaro has it (so cost is not an excuse). And AB says the best SRA out there? Well yeah since it's the only RWD car these days that still use this setup. Uh.

If they put in the IRS and the ecoboost 3.5 as the GT's engine(which the fanboys will scream sacriligious, but whatever), I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

When I priced up a Camaro, it was significantly more expensive.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2010, 10:38:46 pm »
You can get a base V8 Camaro cheaper than a base Mustang GT by about $1500.....

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2010, 10:59:27 pm »
You can get a base V8 Camaro cheaper than a base Mustang GT by about $1500.....

Hmmm... I thought I had looked at the basest of base ones.  Maybe I had to move it up a notch because the base model was so awful..?

SJP

« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2010, 08:41:18 am »
IMO, the Camaro looks badass, but it's too damn big, and the interior looks cheesy

speed12sil

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2010, 12:15:00 pm »
They had IRS in 2003, and it wasn't that great.  Besides, with all of the suspension tweaks available for not alot of money, the SRA can be made to perform very, very well.

I realize that. But then the IRS used in the '03-04 was a compromised design that was using the existing mounting points, and the rubber bushings used weren't exactly helping with the hard launches mustang owners do.

Search the various mustang forums and you'll come across improvements that IRS mustang owners have found that make the drivetrain much more resilient to hard launches and much less likely to get destroyed.

Then again if I'd have to go through all that trouble to beef up/fix a suspension design that other high HP American sports cars seem to have no problem with (Viper/Vette), might as well not bother.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2010, 05:17:21 pm »

Then again if I'd have to go through all that trouble to beef up/fix a suspension design that other high HP American sports cars seem to have no problem with (Viper/Vette), might as well not bother.

But neither the Viper nor the C6 Vette sport a "traditional" IRS set-up.  The Vette with its leaf-spring assisted rear, and the Viper with the Dana 44 IRS set-up (Corvette also uses a Dana 44 diff).

These are hardly run of the mill IRS set-ups....oh...and the Vette and the Viper cost significantly more than a Mustang.

nsmyhte

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2010, 03:08:12 am »
Agree that Ford has a winner here but I've got to comment on the price differences between US and Canada.

/rant on

All I've got to say is BS! It has nothing to do with supply and demand.

It has everything to do with supply and demand. If Ford didn't sell enough Mustangs to its liking in Canada, they'd lower prices. The fact that they demand more for a Mustang in Canada than they comparably do in the states is proof that they're happy with their sales numbers in Canada.

That defines supply and demand to perfection.

It's not really supply and demand but rather economies of scale. Canadian cars are more expensive because our car market is one tenth the size. Therefore, in order for manufacturers to make as much money in Canada as they do the states, they need to raise the price and the marginal profit. They need to make more profit per individual car compared to the states where they sell a lot more cars and therefore can sell them closer to cost.

The lesser a certain car is sold in Canada compared to the states, the greater the price difference. This is why the more expensive (and rarer) the car is, the greater the price difference.

Also, there is probably a relatively higher proportion of Mustangs sold in the states compared to Canada, further increasing the relative price of Canadian Mustangs.  Go to the Midwest or South and you'll see way more Mustangs and other muscle cars compared to here in Canada. Of course, climate plays a big role in that. Not many places in Canada can you drive a V8 powered muscle car year round, forcing many muscle cars to therefore become not their owners' primary car.

Mitlov

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2010, 03:26:30 am »

Well, I for one am getting tired of the "if they don't put an IRS in it's crap" comments. It's like beating a dead...horse...LOL. Seems they've been beating BMW's and other reviews (Ok...reference to Autoblog again, if we have to) states the Camaro's IRS is worse than the Mustang's SRA.  So I think you may be wrong on your wish. 

Although, your idea would make a sweet SVO model.  Or even with an Eco-boosted 4 banger.  That, could be cool.  8)

Eh I'm not saying it's crap if it doesn't come with the IRS. It's just that now Ford has finally stepped up to the challenge and fixed all the other things that are often criticized; Namely, the hard plasticy pre '11 interior, the anemic base offering, they couldn't go the full distance and fix the suspension. It's a shame that everything else is pretty much as good as it should be, but they just won't change that final weak link in the chain.

But whatever, I guess the target group that they're after mostly don't care how the rear tires are hung, so long as the ride is decent and can be used for drag racing or cruising down the boulevard, to use the very cliche term.

Who cares if it's a theoretically-inferior design if it works in real life?  The 2011 Mustang out-handles the Camaro, and from what I've read about the 2011 Mustang so far, I'm betting it won't give up anything to the Genesis when it comes to handling.  I think it's safe to say that you're not going to find a significantly better-handling sports coupe than the track-pack-equipped 2011 Mustang unless you're willing to (1) give up the back seat (370Z, Miata, etc), (2) look at a substantially-more-expensive cars (335i and M3), or (3) live with the power output of the RX-8.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2010, 08:46:33 am »
I have to agree. Much as I hate the thought of the Mustang suspension design the real test should be in driving it. If it works in the real world then why criticise the design?  I'd much rather have a Mustang over an IRS Camaro.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2010, 10:44:24 am »

Who cares if it's a theoretically-inferior design if it works in real life?  The 2011 Mustang out-handles the Camaro, and from what I've read about the 2011 Mustang so far, I'm betting it won't give up anything to the Genesis when it comes to handling.  I think it's safe to say that you're not going to find a significantly better-handling sports coupe than the track-pack-equipped 2011 Mustang unless you're willing to (1) give up the back seat (370Z, Miata, etc), (2) look at a substantially-more-expensive cars (335i and M3), or (3) live with the power output of the RX-8.

Agreed.  I'd rather see an IRS, but if the existing setup works as well as it seems to, no biggie.  And I'll take the Mustang over the Camaro any day of the week.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2010, 05:02:24 pm »
I agree.  The SRA Mustang has been kicking ass in Speed Challenge...against V8 M3s and other fast cars.  Sure it's racing, but the fact it can even hang with the IRS cars, let alone beat them says alot about how polished the initial product is and how tunable the chassis is.

peter kim

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2010, 01:04:31 am »
The US GT lists for $29,645 while the Canadian GT lists for $38,499.

???

Ford - give your head a shake.

Apa.ca shows that Ford covers warranty for US purchased cars.

Even with a 5% exchange rate, it shouldn't be too difficult to save $7,000 on a US purchase.
Anybody know why there is such a price difference?

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2010, 07:27:05 am »

???

Even with a 5% exchange rate, it shouldn't be too difficult to save $7,000 on a US purchase.
\

Becuase they can.

I do wonder why no Track pack for Canada? That seems like it would be a big seller. Maybe they want to hold off until they clear the 2010s out because a track pack v6 would come way to close to the performance of an 2010 GT?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2010, 07:46:28 am »

???

A used 5.0 from the US in a couple of years will be a performance bargain!!

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2010, 11:18:46 am »

???

It's because our guest is comparing apples with oranges. The Canadian Mustang GT comes only with the premium package and heated leather seats. The US doesn't. The price difference between 2010 GTs with HID, secirity package and 19" wheels is $6,445.

It still doesn't explain the entire price difference but it does bring the price is a little closer to a value that some folks could use try to explain the higher costs of doing business in Canada. Note what with the current cash incentive in Canada, the price difference is only $650.

SJP

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2010, 09:53:35 pm »
For everyone who laments the lack of IRS, well, it would be nice, but if they can make a flawed, or less than perfect design do the job, then who cares? The Porsche 911 has the engine in the absolute wrong place, but they seem to be making due with it.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2010, 12:42:34 am »
For everyone who laments the lack of IRS, well, it would be nice, but if they can make a flawed, or less than perfect design do the job, then who cares? The Porsche 911 has the engine in the absolute wrong place, but they seem to be making due with it.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:  Good call!

Mitlov

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2010, 02:09:38 am »
SJP wins.  He should register and become a regular member.