Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Ford Mustang  (Read 26446 times)

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
Re: First Drive: 2011 Ford Mustang
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 05:01:30 pm »
I loved the 4.6 anyway, so this is no huge big deal for me. Just more horsepower that I likely wouldn't use. Great package all around and an awesome car. Still would take the (much more expensive)  6 speed Challenger SRT8 if I were buying one.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 06:38:53 pm »
I loved the 4.6 anyway, so this is no huge big deal for me. Just more horsepower that I likely wouldn't use.

I liked the old 4.6 too.  Autoblog stated that the 5.0 is quieter when you're not "on it"...which made it less appealing to me.  I figure there is enough aftermarket stuff to stiffen it up the way I'd want it as the 4.6 I drove felt floaty compared to the RX8.

I know of a new Grabber Blue 2010 in the US with the cool glass roof...wonder what that's goin' for today!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 06:56:22 pm »
Really like this car...and Mustang's in general.  Though I'm biased a bit as I have owned 3 of them.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 07:48:52 pm »
Really like this car...and Mustang's in general.  Though I'm biased a bit as I have owned 3 of them.

Huh.
I never realized that Toyota made the Mustang. :)

Offline robsaw

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 09:45:50 pm »
Agree that Ford has a winner here but I've got to comment on the price differences between US and Canada.

/rant on

All I've got to say is BS! It has nothing to do with supply and demand. In fact, many cars are actually built here in Canada. It's all smoke and mirrors and the automakers are pulling the wool over your eyes. They charge what they charge because the market bears it. It's that simple. ...

/rant off

You do realize that "the market bears it" = "supply and demand".  Where the vehicle is made is irrelevant in the era of free trade.  Vehicle prices are very much supply and demand and catering to perceived rather than actual value decisions of the consumer.  Pickup trucks used to be profit margin leaders because a big, powerful truck can attract a high price even though they are not necessarily the most expensive vehicle to make.  On the opposite end, small cars usually have the worst profit margins because the consumer simply won't pay for what is perceived to be less car.  But you are right, if people stopped buying Mustangs in Canada it would put downward pressure on prices, which, of course, is exactly supply and demand at work.

Mitlov

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 12:35:41 am »
This car makes me think Ford made some sinister deal with the devil to offer an impossible combination of performance, refinement, and low price (particularly at US prices).  It's just unbelievable.  In a good way.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 01:19:55 am »
This car makes me think Ford made some sinister deal with the devil to offer an impossible combination of performance, refinement, and low price (particularly at US prices).  It's just unbelievable.  In a good way.

Well that's the way the Mustang always was....sure it went away for a few generations (early 70's to early 80's, then again in 1994 until...oh..2002)

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 06:32:08 am »
According to MSN Canada, the following is too bad... :'(

However, Canadians will be denied the excellent V6 Performance Package, which adds GT-tuned suspension, larger wheels with summer performance tires, and a more aggressive rear axle ratio. It's the perfect combination for insurance-aware enthusiasts. No official word why, but hopefully Ford of Canada can make that happen soon.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2010, 08:50:17 am »
It seems to me that supply is not a problem...they want to make more vehicles and put on more shifts surely. What we have here is a situation where pricing policy is probably depressing demand here which seems to me is the opposite of the hypothesis. This situation is not only common to automobiles. Surely jobs and pay packets are what is important at present.

SJP

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2010, 08:59:21 am »
Of course, if every Canadian who wanted one of these decided to go south, then it would affect change, but it's not going to happen, and if I decided to buy one, I would be happy to know that the extra money I paid would come back to me, since the owner of the local Ford dealer is a customer of mine, and so is  most of his staff.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2010, 09:34:45 am »
The new V8 really gets my attention.  Heckuva package here from Ford.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2010, 10:37:22 am »
Of course, if every Canadian who wanted one of these decided to go south, then it would affect change, but it's not going to happen, and if I decided to buy one, I would be happy to know that the extra money I paid would come back to me, since the owner of the local Ford dealer is a customer of mine, and so is  most of his staff.

You own a Timmis'?  :)

SJP

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2010, 11:04:28 am »
You own a Timmis'?
Ha Ha NO, but if I did, I might get my money back quicker, albeit in smaller increments. I just like to shop locally, especially with people that shop with me.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2010, 01:40:24 pm »
Isn't there a thread for all the cross-border stuff somewhere else?

Just looked at the Ford.ca site...they offer the GT500 brakes in a $1,700 package that includes different ESC tuning and 19" wheels.

The California Special is back too for $2,000 it appears.

2010s seem to have $5,000 on the bonnet.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2010, 01:49:50 pm »
Isn't there a thread for all the cross-border stuff somewhere else?

AMEN!

Jaeger

speed12sil

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2010, 02:01:30 pm »
Where these tests continue to fall down is comparing them to other cars...that's what we all do...and it's fun!

Sound like AutoBlog freak'n loves it!!! 

If they'd only put a freaking IRS in the back. Call this a troll post if you want, but the same tired o' "The SRA is just fine on the track" or "But most buyers do drag racing anyway"  still doesn't excuse this car from getting an IRS, when the similarly priced Camaro has it (so cost is not an excuse). And AB says the best SRA out there? Well yeah since it's the only RWD car these days that still use this setup. Uh.

If they put in the IRS and the ecoboost 3.5 as the GT's engine(which the fanboys will scream sacriligious, but whatever), I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2010, 02:28:49 pm »

Huh.

I've only owned 4 imports.  The other dozen cars I've owned were domestics.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2010, 03:13:36 pm »

Huh.

... took that long? ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2010, 03:17:51 pm »

Huh.

... took that long? ...

I gave them more than a fair shake before I switched over.  Mostly Fords...

Calvin

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2010, 07:24:54 pm »
I liked the old 4.6 too.  Autoblog stated that the 5.0 is quieter when you're not "on it"...which made it less appealing to me. 

You're kidding right?  Hmmm...412 under-rated horsepower (more like 440+), wicked sound on the throttle (Check Motor Trend's shakedown - WOW!)...and because it's a quiet cruiser you'd sooner pick the 2010.  I think you should hold judgment until you actually see/hear/drive one. 

If they'd only put a freaking IRS in the back. Call this a troll post if you want, but the same tired o' "The SRA is just fine on the track" or "But most buyers do drag racing anyway"  still doesn't excuse this car from getting an IRS, when the similarly priced Camaro has it (so cost is not an excuse). And AB says the best SRA out there? Well yeah since it's the only RWD car these days that still use this setup. Uh.

If they put in the IRS and the ecoboost 3.5 as the GT's engine(which the fanboys will scream sacriligious, but whatever), I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Well, I for one am getting tired of the "if they don't put an IRS in it's crap" comments. It's like beating a dead...horse...LOL. Seems they've been beating BMW's and other reviews (Ok...reference to Autoblog again, if we have to) states the Camaro's IRS is worse than the Mustang's SRA.  So I think you may be wrong on your wish. 

Although, your idea would make a sweet SVO model.  Or even with an Eco-boosted 4 banger.  That, could be cool.  8)