Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Suzuki SX4 Hatchback JLX  (Read 22783 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2010 Suzuki SX4 Hatchback JLX
« on: March 24, 2010, 04:07:13 am »

Suzuki's funky little five-door SX4 Hatchback offers all-wheel drive at a relative bargain basement price, but its limited cargo capacity, less-than-stellar drive-train and price put it at a disadvantage when viewing the competition, says reviewer Peter Bleakney.

Read More...

John Meyer

Re: Test Drive: 2010 Suzuki SX4 Hatchback JLX
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 06:09:17 am »
I've owned several Suzukis and have been extremely happy with them.  Very reliable and efficient.  Just retired a 2001 Esteem with 400k on it and that was with virtually no preventative maintenance outside of synthetic oil every 10k and platinum plugs.

I've rented an SX-4 3 times and it is a very tight and pleasant car.  Comfortable with good visibility and well laid out.  I found the fuel efficiency to be quite poor however.

I live in snow country at the top of a steep hill and I still don't know why people feel they need awd.  A set of the right tires and front wheel drive will get you through almost anything.  The 4wd weight and fuel penalty lasts all year long.  The SX-4 can also be had in 2wd.

BTW, does anyone know what the fuel penalty of a limited slip differential in
a fwd car might be?  Could be a great alternative to 4wd.

The SX-4 is a very nice and well screwed together small car and should be very very reliable.  I couldn't live with the fuel efficiency but if you are dumping an SUV or large car, this should be a very attractive package.

Cheers,
John Meyer

John MacDonald

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 07:32:11 am »
I've owned several Suzukis and have been extremely happy with them.  Very reliable and efficient.  Just retired a 2001 Esteem with 400k on it and that was with virtually no preventative maintenance outside of synthetic oil every 10k and platinum plugs.

I've rented an SX-4 3 times and it is a very tight and pleasant car.  Comfortable with good visibility and well laid out.  I found the fuel efficiency to be quite poor however.

I live in snow country at the top of a steep hill and I still don't know why people feel they need awd.  A set of the right tires and front wheel drive will get you through almost anything.  The 4wd weight and fuel penalty lasts all year long.  The SX-4 can also be had in 2wd.

a fwd car might be?  Could be a great alternative to 4wd.

The SX-4 is a very nice and well screwed together small car and should be very very reliable.  I couldn't live with the fuel efficiency but if you are dumping an SUV or large car, this should be a very attractive package.

Cheers,
John Meyer

I'm glad you had such a good experience with Suzuki.  I can't say I have ever driven one.  But based on Consumer reports and JD power Suzuki is one of the least reliable car manufacturers (I think this was more due to their SUV's which have been poorly built over the past 10 years).  That being said this SX4 is one of the few that gets a good rating for reliability and overall quality.  If I was in the market for a small car with AWD for under $25,000 I don't know why anyone wouldn't buy the Subaru Impreza.  It's a much superior car in every respect and has the proven reliability that comes with years of experience.  I like the styling of the Subaru better than this Suzuki.  The only advantage Suzuki has is the interest rates for loans and their warranty.

Another thing I'm just not understanding is this new Kazashi and the starting price of $30,000.  I understand that it's supposed to be fully loaded but I have a hard time believing that it will have every option minus the navigation for $30,000.  I think it's a very good looking vehicle and the effort to make it the best handling mid(ish)-sized vehicle is a good idea.  The power is nothing really to write home about either at 180 HP.  For $29,000 you can get a limited Hyundai Sonata that is a true mid-size vehicle, just as good looking, gets better fuel economy, better interior, same warranty, good interest rates, better resale value, and nearly 200 HP.  If you really think you need AWD you can get an AWD Ford Fusion with a V6 for ($30,799 minus the delivery allowance os $4,000) $26,799, and get one of the better midsize vehicles.  Or you could get the new Subaru Legacy 2.5i Sport for $28,000.  I just don't see how Suzuki will ever make any dent in market share.  They really need to take a page out of Kia/Hyundai.

Roy

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 08:37:36 am »

If I was in the market for a small car with AWD for under $25,000 I don't know why anyone wouldn't buy the Subaru Impreza.  It's a much superior car in every respect and has the proven reliability that comes with years of experience. 
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more.  The subaru sedan is the same price but you get more vehicle.  Styling is different though so that may be a bigger factor for some.  But the SX4 should be priced a few thousand less for its size.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 08:58:35 am »
Yep, I'd stretch for the Impreza too. The SX-4, while a nice little vehicle, is priced too high to be considered when people are looking at buying a compact car (Versa, Yaris, Accent, etc.) and just doesn't offer enough to be considered for people looking at compacts.

If you want cheap FWD, why buy a 18-19k SX-4 when you can get a Yaris, or even a Matrix with more space, better fuel econonmy, and for less money? And if you want a cheap AWD, why buy a 22-23k SX-4 when a Matrix AWD starts at $23,600 and the Impreza sedan starts at 21k and the 5-door at 22k. Add in poor dealership network, why would anyone buy a SX-4 at its current prices?

It's too bad because I do like the SX-4 quite a bit, but it's just too expensive for the overall package.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 09:37:08 am »
The reason people might choose the Suzuki over the Subaru, probably has something to do with interest rates and incentives...

John Meyer

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 11:33:35 am »
John Mac's comments on price seem to be well founded.  However, I do like the much higher seating position of the Suzuki over the Subaru.

On the Kazashi, it certainly has gotten strong reviews and sounds like a very nice piece but price is a killer there as well.  Do people willing to spend this kind of $ actually walk into a Suzuki dealership?  Maybe it is an attempt at image upgrading a la Genesis?

However, watch for the right deal and it could be very attractive like the SX-4.  Also, I've seen a huge variation of prices from dealer to dealer on Suzukis.

I've noticed the Consumer Reports poor reliability ratings on Suzuki but the 3 I've had have been excellent with a combined mileage of over 550k.

Could a few re-badged Daewoos and the 4x4 have spoiled the ratings?

Cheers,
John Meyer

aknutson

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 11:59:15 am »

a fwd car might be?  Could be a great alternative to 4wd....

Glad to hear the sentiments on AWD vs. FWD, I'm of the same mind - unless you have extenuating circumstances, FWD does most of the work that an AWD car does, unless you are off-road or climbing steep grades. AWD is a performance luxury feature, and I would love to have one, but I won't try and convince myself I need it  ;D

As for LSD on FWD, typically it is only on high performance FWD cars, so mileage suffers anyways. I would think that the penalty would be minimal.

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 02:51:23 pm »
Another vehicle I want to love but because of cvt's questionable performance and the "not-so-flat" folding rear seat (see pic in article) will have to pass it off. Too bad.....so sad.   :(
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +44/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 128i, 2017 Kia RIO EX, 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WDGMC Sierra
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 03:26:47 pm »
My better half has had a 2007 SX4 hatchback JLX AWD for about 3.5 years now and I've had many opportunities to drive it over that time. I was very interested to see how other were responding to this car. I thought I would offer my take on some of the comments thus far.

Re: Fuel Economy
Yes, fuel economy on this car is not great and this car will definitely appear thirsty if you are comparing it to a Civic, Fit, Echo, Corolla or others in that segment. However, I think the SX4 compares more to the Subaru Impreza or VW Golf/Rabbit and the fuel economy is more inline with those vehicles. The big disappointment for us has been the small tank and the associated short range.

Re: Reliability
It is tough to gauge Suzuki on this front because there has been so many re-badged Daewoo models sold by them over the years. All I know is that after 3.5 years and ~75K km of daily driving, our SX4 has held up pretty well. The only unexpected maintenance has been an alternator and a wheel bearing.

Re: Why buy the SX4 over an Impreza or Matrix AWD
To be honest, I personally would probably buy an Impreza but my better half prefered the SX4 because of the smaller footprint and associated maneuverability in city driving. She also preferred the higher seating position and the more nimble feel of this car compared to the Impreza. She also felt that the SX4 had a more premium feel compared to the Impreza but admittedly that is a very subjective thing. The Matrix is also an attractive option but the lack of a manual gearbox was a show stopper for us and I suspect would be the same for many shoppers.

Re: Why buy the FWD SX4 over the Fit, Versa, Yaris, Accent, etc
I would also have a tough time choosing the FWD SX4 over some of the other FWD competition in this segment. However, I will say that the SX4 has a very solid/substantial feel compared to some of the alternatives. Again, I would tend to compare it more with the VW Golf/Rabbit is terms of the way it feels on the road.

Overall, the SX4 has grown on us over the past few years. I'm not sure if we'll get another but if you want a small AWD car with a Manual transmission it is worth a test drive. You might be pleasantly surprised.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 08:01:55 pm by Flinter »

Someone

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 07:50:56 pm »
I own a 2009 JX SX4 and I can tell you I have been nothing but pleased with it. It handles extremely well and can hold a ton of stuff. I once brought an entire dining room set, couple cases of beer, a huge plant, and god knows what else and it fit everything. The visibility is great as well and is it ever nimble. The 5 speed is smooth as silk but I would prefer a better shift knob. I used the AWD in the winter extensively, especially the lock to get out of some thick snow and it worked flawlessly. I think the lock differentiates it against the Subaru. A block heater is included as well which isn't too bad. The fuel economy isn't that great in the city but on the highway its pretty good. Supposedly, it is still better than the Impreza.

I tested the Subaru as well and found it to be a nice car but it wasn't as "fun" to drive and it handled poorly, weighed more and it drove like it. Plus like others have said, its hard to get great incentives on it...I know when I bought mine I got 72 months @ 0.0% no down payment and 2000 off MRSP which isnt too bad for that price range. Good luck getting that at Subaru. Plus you get 2 more year warranty on the powertrain and a full 5 years roadside assistance.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 08:22:35 pm »
A major difference between the SX4 and the Impreza is the way the AWD works.  The Impreza's AWD system is on all the time.  Power is constantly being sent to all four wheels.  This kills fuel economy (subies are known for poor fuel consumption, aren't they?)

With the SX4 you have the option of turning it off outright, or having it work as a slip and grip system (as well as the ever useful 'lock' function).  This saves fuel by eliminating driveline friction when the rear wheels aren't being powered.

I have an aunt who recently purchased one of these things.  I had an opportunity to drive it for a day not too long ago.  My impression is that it was a fairly competent little car around town.  The engine was peppy enough, but seemed a little buzzy as I approached the higher RPMs.  This particular car was an '09, so it still had a conventional automatic, not a CVT.

If I was in the market for a little hatch/wagon like that though, I don't even think I'd stop by for a test drive.  It just seems like it was designed as a white good.  As if the engineers who worked on it wanted to make it functional, and stopped at that.  It didn't have any soul.  It's not hard to make small cars interesting.  The Honda Fit comes to mind....

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 08:43:49 pm »
In my experience, the SX4 gets similar fuel consumption to the Impreza's, which means it burns way too much gas for the size of the engine and the car itself. I'd choose the Impreza over the Suzuki every time.
I used to work here.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 08:51:41 pm »
In my experience, the SX4 gets similar fuel consumption to the Impreza's, which means it burns way too much gas for the size of the engine and the car itself. I'd choose the Impreza over the Suzuki every time.

If that's the case, shame on Suzuki.  Their car is lighter than the Subie.

Someone

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 08:56:52 pm »
A major difference between the SX4 and the Impreza is the way the AWD works.  The Impreza's AWD system is on all the time.  Power is constantly being sent to all four wheels.  This kills fuel economy (subies are known for poor fuel consumption, aren't they?)

With the SX4 you have the option of turning it off outright, or having it work as a slip and grip system (as well as the ever useful 'lock' function).  This saves fuel by eliminating driveline friction when the rear wheels aren't being powered.

I have an aunt who recently purchased one of these things.  I had an opportunity to drive it for a day not too long ago.  My impression is that it was a fairly competent little car around town.  The engine was peppy enough, but seemed a little buzzy as I approached the higher RPMs.  This particular car was an '09, so it still had a conventional automatic, not a CVT.

If I was in the market for a little hatch/wagon like that though, I don't even think I'd stop by for a test drive.  It just seems like it was designed as a white good.  As if the engineers who worked on it wanted to make it functional, and stopped at that.  It didn't have any soul.  It's not hard to make small cars interesting.  The Honda Fit comes to mind....

Well you will be missing out. The SX4 is very fun to drive with the 5 speed. The fit's drivetrain does not register on the same map as the SX4, never mind the small brakes, crappy tires and overall cheaper feel. Also can not compare in terms of power, handling, or overall solidity. The SX4 is the auto markets best kept secret, if people actually went out and drove one they will be impressed.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 08:59:53 pm »
  It's not hard to make small cars interesting.  The Honda Fit comes to mind....

I read DSport every month.  Best mag for import performance by a long shot.  They did a comparo between a Fit and the SX4.  I was shocked when 3 out of the 4 reviewers picked the SX4 over the Fit.  I mean...the import tuner crowd's love for Hondas (and their engines) is legendary.  Their main gripe?  The engine of the Fit!!  Not enough torque was the basic issue.

Just adding some fuel to the fire...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Someone

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 09:00:31 pm »

I'm still breaking mine in but at roughly 9000km's I'm typically averaging between 8.0 to 8.4 l/km and this has been in colder weather. Not great but not terrible

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 09:22:33 pm »

If that's the case, shame on Suzuki.  Their car is lighter than the Subie.

The Suzuki is not that much lighter than the Subie. Plus the Subie's combined fuel economy is 13-14% worse.

SX4 JX AWD Manual
Curb Weight - 2902 lbs
EPA Fuel (City) - 10.7 l/100km
EPA Fuel (Hwy) - 7.8 l/100km
EPA Fuel (Combined) - 9.4 l/100km

Subaru Impreza 2.5i
Curb Weight - 3058 lbs
EPA Fuel (City) - 11.8 l/100km
EPA Fuel (Hwy) - 8.7 l/100km
EPA Fuel (Combined) - 10.7 l/100km

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 09:33:44 pm »
Not as much difference in Cargo capacity as one would think either. This is taken from the Canadiandriver comparison tool.

SX4 JX AWD Manual
Cargo capacity hatchback(seats up) -   457 litres (16.2 cu.ft.)
Cargo capacity hatchback(seats folded) - 1534 litres (54.3 cu.ft.)

Subaru Impreza 2.5i
Cargo capacity hatchback(seats up) -   538 litres (18.9 cu. ft.)
Cargo capacity hatchback(seats folded) - 1257 litres (44.3 cu. ft.)

Offline sparky

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 09:50:03 pm »
Whenever there's a Suzuki thread, I like to chime in with my experience. I've had three Zukis -- a Sidekick, a Vitara and an Esteem wagon. All were reliable, economical and a pleasure to own. The two little utes were both go-anywhere 4x4s, fun, functional, and bulletproof. Never had a Daewoo-built Suzuki, but they could be the source of any reported reliability woes. I don't have much faith in JD Power, and I wonder about CU's sample sizes for lower-selling vehicles.