Author Topic: Another dumb car ad on TV  (Read 1597 times)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Another dumb car ad on TV
« on: March 20, 2010, 06:49:16 am »
This one for a 2010 srx.

Guy driving it, shot from the side, rolling along. shot pulls in and shows him reach down and pull the shift lever back, along the car axis, not towards him which would be sideways.    Why?   

I checked GM website and cannot see if the srx has a manumatic, how the gearchange is done. He definitely pulls the lever straight back tho' no sign of sideways.

How many people use the manumatic stuff anyway especially in a Caddilac...and... why would a TV ad show it? Is this something to do with being a real man but one who is forced to drive a Cadillac?

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
Re: Another dumb car ad on TV
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 07:02:27 am »
The GM six speed that they brought out for the Outlook/Acadia/Enclave and Traverse has that feature.

Is it useful? - nope. Do I use it - yes but always accidently when I start in low rather than drive. Ooops

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 07:43:58 am »
This one for a 2010 srx.

I had to Google it to find out what it was...
http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles/cadillac/srx/overview

Love that first comment, "Beautiful From Every Angle".  :rofl: I'm sure glad they told me that because it sort of reminds me of the Pontiac Aztec.

There is another good one on that page. "Let The Best Car Win". I guess that is why they needed a bail-out.  :rofl:

The Cadillac is North America's pinnacle of luxury automotive engineering. I find that pretty sad.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 09:57:11 am »
The GM six speed that they brought out for the Outlook/Acadia/Enclave and Traverse has that feature.

Is it useful? - nope. Do I use it - yes but always accidently when I start in low rather than drive. Ooops
But would that not be a push to go up into D ?  This guy pulled as if he was changing down into 2.   ON the GTI doing that would be pulling down into S for sport... but I just don't quite see that in a Caddy.

Now the 2010 srx does have a wimpy V6 rather than a manly V8...could that be it?

Mitlov

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 03:22:58 pm »
I thought the manumatic on the SRX worked where you moved it down to D, left to S, and then up or down to shift?  If that's the case, he was already in S and just shifting.  He was showing it properly.

And what do you mean "how many people would use it"?  The feature is there if you want it...why not advertise it?  Most people never end up using the airbags in their car, yet you still advertise the fact that they're there.  And when I drove a CTS, I spent most of the time in manumatic mode.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 04:44:35 pm »
If this had been an ad demonstrating the "sportiness" of the srx then sure.  But it wasn't.

You spent time in the CTS "sports sedan"  in manumatic mode but I would bet you that most people would just put it in drive and go somewhere. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 04:46:15 pm by tpl »

Mitlov

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 04:54:25 pm »
If this had been an ad demonstrating the "sportiness" of the srx then sure.  But it wasn't.

It was advertising the SRX.  This is one feature of an SRX that might appeal to some people.  Without having seen the ad myself (do you have a link?), it seems to be saying that you can use it as a luxury crossover but also have some degree of driver involvement.  It's just trying to pitch the vehicle to multiple markets at once.  Nothing special if you ask me; every manufacturer does it.  I really don't understand why you were annoyed by it.

You spent time in the CTS "sports sedan"  in manumatic mode but I would bet you that most people would just put it in drive and go somewhere. 

The same could be said of the GTI or any other vehicle with flappy paddles or other methods of manumatic shifting (short of an EVO MR or an F430).  Most people who buy a vehicle with flappy paddles or manumatic sticks never use them, yet companies advertise them, because some people want them and others just like to have the option for the rare occasions they do use it.

Companies advertise the max towing rating of a truck, even though few people tow 100% of the towing rating.  Companies advertise 0-60 times even though few owners ever do hard launches.  In short, companies (all car companies) advertise what a car CAN do, not what most people do every day, which is drive to the grocery store and work at 20% throttle in stop-and-go traffic.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 04:58:35 pm by Mitlov »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 04:59:44 pm »

It was advertising the SRX.  This is one feature of an SRX that might appeal to some people.  Without having seen the ad myself (do you have a link?), it seems to be saying that you can use it as a luxury crossover but also have some degree of driver involvement.  It's just trying to pitch the vehicle to multiple markets at once.  Nothing special if you ask me; every manufacturer does it.  I really don't understand why you were annoyed by it.

The same could be said of the GTI or any other vehicle with flappy paddles short of an EVO MR or an F430.  Most people who buy a vehicle with flappy paddles never use them, yet companies advertise them, because some people want them and others just like to have the option for the rare occasions they do use it.

Yes but it did not show the transmission lever, nor any acceleration. There was no engine noise in the ad. I do not have a link... it was just some ad on tv.   FWIW its not the first ad I have seen where the driver manipulates the lever on an automatic for no apparent reason.

and yes I have flappy paddles and rarely use them

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 05:44:54 pm »
There's a few ads like that. Here's one where the guy pushes the shifter forward: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQwdfhwYdS0&feature=related .

And another one with a woman doing the same: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVN9rHhwK3A .

I don't have much of an opinion about the ad, but the song is catchy as hell (1901, by Phoenix). Great album, too.  :thumbup:

CatsEye68

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 08:48:30 am »
This one for a 2010 srx.

It's a great ad, with great music. Compared to the Toyota hair-shirt "thank you for having faith in us" ads, it probably deserves a Cleo award.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 08:57:51 am »
I've seen this ad. I certainly don't find it particularly dumb or annoying  ???.....just another car ad

(have to agree with SiRCivic on the music  :thumbup: )
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 02:48:43 pm »
I don't mind the SRX ads... find the visual drama and music interesting. Although some of the items the one with the guy focuses on in the interior are strange, and the one where the hatch opens in the middle of the street is also odd. Generally, better than most though.

As opposed to that new Kizashi ad... not going to help Suzuki one bit.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 02:51:07 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!