Author Topic: Still King: Camry wins MTs latest family sedan comparo...  (Read 9811 times)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Re: Still King: Camry wins MTs latest family sedan comparo...
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2010, 08:10:05 pm »
Not that this has anything to do with Camrys, but I happened to look around the parking lot during a hockey practice tonight.

21 cars
4 were Corollas
1 Matrix
1 Highlander
the rest were a smattering, Pontiac, couple of GM pickups, a couple of Ford Fusions, a Honda or two, couple of Hyundais, couple of Subarus...interesting that in a random crowd of parents of 12 year olds, the single most popular make, by far, was Toyota.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2010, 08:24:40 pm »
Not that this has anything to do with Camrys, but I happened to look around the parking lot during a hockey practice tonight.

21 cars
4 were Corollas
1 Matrix
1 Highlander
the rest were a smattering, Pontiac, couple of GM pickups, a couple of Ford Fusions, a Honda or two, couple of Hyundais, couple of Subarus...interesting that in a random crowd of parents of 12 year olds, the single most popular make, by far, was Toyota.

Obviously that had nothing to do with Camry's.  :) No Bimmer or Benz?

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2010, 08:40:16 am »

21 cars
4 were Corollas
1 Matrix
1 Highlander

I came to a 4 way stop 2 days ago and there was 3 Hyundai Santa Fe, oh and me in my sucky CR top rated Altima amd it's time bomb CVT ;D

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2010, 08:48:37 am »
Anyone who has been here for a number of years will have read many times how MT is pure garbage.  Well WOW, that perception has now changed dramatically with this incredible review favoring the Camry.  Very timely review for Toyota, they needed that. The new leper is now CR which for some reason went and rated the Altima #1 both in the 4 and V6 version, and if I recall correctly most if not all Nissans are now recommended, what's happening to CR?

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2010, 09:48:14 am »
I don't know how much the article counts for but if you look at the prefference count the Sonata is in the lead and has been for the duration on here.

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2010, 09:54:00 am »
Anyone who has been here for a number of years will have read many times how MT is pure garbage.  Well WOW, that perception has now changed dramatically with this incredible review favoring the Camry.  Very timely review for Toyota, they needed that. The new leper is now CR which for some reason went and rated the Altima #1 both in the 4 and V6 version, and if I recall correctly most if not all Nissans are now recommended, what's happening to CR?

MT is garbage.  I can go back and look at any old copy of MT where they predict this and that and they couldn't have been more wrong.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2010, 10:54:18 am »

MT is garbage.  I can go back and look at any old copy of MT where they predict this and that and they couldn't have been more wrong.

And if you look at R&T, they have always had the Accord first as far back as I can remember.

Should I be ready for change, Fusion or Sonata, but Nissan has not yet pi$$sed me off.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2010, 11:12:06 am »

And if you look at R&T, they have always had the Accord first as far back as I can remember.

Should I be ready for change, Fusion or Sonata, but Nissan has not yet pi$$sed me off.

Well to be fair to R&T, the Accord has pretty much been the top dog in this segment up until a year or two ago...

Mitlov

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2010, 11:32:56 am »
I'm not sure that these rankings are worth all that much on their own, because all the cars present are pretty darned good, and the rankings are all based upon preference of one virtue over another.  Instead, I think what's really worthwhile is looking at what the review of each car, what the reviewers actually liked and disliked, and finding the car where its strengths match your desires. 

Want a quiet, uninvolving ride and good objective performance numbers?  Get a Camry SE.
Want a taut, communicative driving experience and a huge trunk?  Get a Fusion.
Want good steering feel and a massive back seat?  Get an Accord.

Et cetera.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2010, 12:00:29 pm »
I'm not sure that these rankings are worth all that much on their own, because all the cars present are pretty darned good, and the rankings are all based upon preference of one virtue over another.  Instead, I think what's really worthwhile is looking at what the review of each car, what the reviewers actually liked and disliked, and finding the car where its strengths match your desires. 

Want a quiet, uninvolving ride and good objective performance numbers?  Get a Camry SE.

Et cetera.

but... but... but... we like to argue about lists!!!  ;D

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1231
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2010, 12:51:46 pm »

Et cetera.

I agree.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2010, 01:09:51 pm »

Et cetera.

Hey Mitlov! No CVT, dealbreaker for me ;D

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2010, 01:28:55 pm »

Et cetera.

but... but... but... we like to argue about lists!!!  ;D

Perhaps you should EN-LIST. They are always looking for a few Good ones.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2010, 06:08:04 pm »

Perhaps you would like to swap your Altima with my brother-in-law's Altima.   :)   

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2010, 07:07:45 pm »
Remember when it said "feel > stats" under my profile picture?  I prefer good feel over performance statistics.  I'm not racing a family sedan, so all that matters is how it feels, not whether it's a half-second faster around Laguna Seca.

Ya, ya, I remember.  You prefer to feel like your car is giving great performance over a car that's actually delivering great performance. 

And you prefer stats > feel...which explains the love for the GT-R.

And you can tell a car is delivering great performance on the street by???????

Sival

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2010, 11:04:00 pm »

I think this may be a matter of how the rankings were made. From what I understood, MT basically asked their testers to rank the cars in terms of midsize sedans, they didn't do a point-based ranking. This could mean that the Camry fit better with what the testers expected out of a midsize sedan, large, convenient and boring. CR is more point-based, like 10 points for acceleration, 10 points for ride, etc... Sure, this doesn't avoid bias, there tends to be a logo bonus for brands with good reputations and a penalty for those with bad reputations, but it does allow to compare cars better.

Reading the article, it seems MT ranked the Altima last for two reasons: a somewhat smaller back seat and the lack of certain convenience features. Otherwise, in terms of handling, performance, comfort and fuel economy (well, the ratings, not the one obtained in the test), the Altima did well, as they said. If their ranking was point-based, the Altima would probably have lost a few points for the negative points, but would probably have ended with a lot of points for all the things it got right, it could have ended up in the top 3.

The fact is, they didn't say much negatively about any of the cars, so that indicates a pretty close field.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2010, 11:20:27 pm »
After reading the article, while I absolutely understand why the Camry won (it's the most mass-market-friendly), the second-place Fusion sounds like the winner for enthusiasts. 

Possibly...but the numbers don't bear that out.  It was slower through the figure eight than the Sonata AND the Camry.  Now maybe it "feels" sportier...but in this case it didn't seem to translate to quicker in their standard handling test...

Remember when it said "feel > stats" under my profile picture?  I prefer good feel over performance statistics.  I'm not racing a family sedan, so all that matters is how it feels, not whether it's a half-second faster around Laguna Seca.

Ya, ya, I remember.  You prefer to feel like your car is giving great performance over a car that's actually delivering great performance. 

That is always preferable.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2010, 11:29:13 pm »
So Rrocket, when you getting the new Camry?

Offline Marko

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2010, 10:06:30 am »
I don't understand why the fact that a car is "best selling" makes it more desirable to some consumers? To me that makes it less desirable, I'd rather drive something rarer. As such, I would not buy any car on that list.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2010, 11:25:11 am »
,,,aaah a TRUE contrarian.......how deep does that "Commitment" GO................. a K KAR perchance.......... :stick:...naw i'm "thinkin" ter DREAMIN of a FERRARI KIT KAR.... :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once