Author Topic: Still King: Camry wins MTs latest family sedan comparo...  (Read 9812 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Still King: Camry wins MTs latest family sedan comparo...
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 08:44:30 am »
Legacy   :o

Has a CVT, and it have not been out 10 years yet
How could you like that  ??? ::)

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 09:08:19 am »
The CVT is the weak point of the Legacy, but it isn't any worse than having an outdated 4-speed automatic transmission. So in that sense, it balances out. But yeah, I would have to decide if the rest of the Legacy is a strong enough vehicle to outweigh the CVT issue. At least Subaru as their excellent AWD system to counter-balance the CVT. The Altima doesn't offer anything to counter-balance the CVT. For that alone, I wouldn't consider the Altima.

So, yes, CVT is definitely a 'minus' in my opinion, and it's going to be a while before I consider a CVT a 'plus' or even just be indifferent towards it, like I do towards 5-speed autos nowadays.

CatsEye68

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 09:20:49 am »
MT must have gone from its past record of selling the Car of the Year prize to the biggest advertiser to now doing the same for its comparison tests, as this result has no credibility whatsoever. Look at the interior pics of the Camry... a sea of hard gray plastic. Look at the plastic hubcaps on steelies. Look at just about every other vehicle in the group. There is no way that the Camry should be even in the front half of the group. Most other comparos have reached that conclusion, but not MT. It really undermines their already weak credibility.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 09:57:34 am »
Whatever, I always exclude the Camry from these list because I just don't care about it at all. Once you do that, it's hard to argue with the rest.

I know the feeling, I have never considered a Hyundai at any time when looking at cars; to me, they're a non-starter.  Although I did buy my Outback from a Hyundai dealer.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 10:12:48 am »
Whatever, I always exclude the Camry from these list because I just don't care about it at all. Once you do that, it's hard to argue with the rest.

I know the feeling, I have never considered a Hyundai at any time when looking at cars; to me, they're a non-starter.  Although I did buy my Outback from a Hyundai dealer.

I felt exactly the same 11-12 years ago; I'd laugh at my friend's parents who had purchased a Sonata back then. 8-9 years later, I was buying a new Kia, then a used Hyundai, and now will always consider their offerings. Things change. Well, except Toyota, always boring, those guys.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 10:47:33 am »
..i guess Milquetoast onna shingle is in this YEAR............it's the veggimite fer Non Outback Ozzies.......can someone tell MTrendless........60's Tees and high Jean waistlines combined with  tyres squealing   on straight roads!!! wdf...videos went out wif Madonna capice!!!
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2010, 01:58:34 pm »
The only surprise I found in the test compario is that the Camry was the cheapest car of the bunch.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2010, 02:55:06 pm »

Whatever, I always exclude the Camry from these list

Ah yes.  If you can't beat them, omit them.  It's always easier to get the results you crave when you omit the best.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 03:02:19 pm »

Ah yes.  If you can't beat them, omit them.  It's always easier to get the results you crave when you omit the best.

So MT omitted the Mazda6 because.... they wanted the results they craved...

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 03:28:55 pm »

Well they do say at the beginning that they only looked at the 7 top-selling sedans on the market... blame Mazda for not selling enough of their Mazda6's then...  ;)

Offline 99 Silver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-8
  • Dog lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2010, 03:40:18 pm »
From the article:
"Meanwhile resale values have taken a hit of between four and six percent, according to Kelly Blue Book, and some experts think that could go to 10 percent before this is over. Present ALG data indicates our Camry LE's residual values ranked fifth in this test, just above the domestics".

It will be intersting what effect resale values have on sales, and how long the values will be reduced.  It took Audi years to overcome the effect.

Jerry
Kitchener
13 Boxster
17 Lexus RX350
In the past: 12 Acura TL, 04 MazdaSpeed Miata, 07 Infiniti M35, 05 Infiniti G35x, 03 Infiniti G35, 99 Acura 3.2TL, 99 Miata, 95 Chrysler Sebring, 93 Ford Probe GT, 93 Chrysler Concorde, 89 Taurus SHO, 86 Taurus, 79 Mazda RX7

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2010, 04:00:11 pm »
Read it an weep, people!  ;) I'm sure the Sonata fans will be on suicide watch with the new car finishing in 3rd.....

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_1005_best_selling_midsize_family_sedan_comparison/index.html

I've never seen someone get so excited over a Camry.  Ever.  And Motor Trend too...  You know it's nice out, spring time.  Go outside.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2010, 04:06:56 pm »

I've never seen someone get so excited over a Camry.  Ever.  And Motor Trend too...  You know it's nice out, spring time.  Go outside.

There probably weren't any Camrys in Cuba.  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2010, 05:40:58 pm »

There probably weren't any Camrys in Cuba.  ;D

No.   Lotsa cool little Hyundais with diesels though!

DrJay

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2010, 06:05:44 pm »
MT writers/editors selected Camry.   Online readers of the MT article seem to prefer Fusion.

Actualy that has changed significantly since then...and the current leader by almost 10% .....Sonata! and in a distant last MT's pick Camry ....oh my what are the buying public thinking?

Not sure the observations were entirely acurate in that they didn't seem to be comparing apples to apples. Size yes but not equipment.  The Sonata they tested was the SE (sport) which is not available in Canada. None of the other models tested were sport models and the reasons they cited for slagging the sonata (ride quality on uneven pavement) they immediately admitted the GLS and LTD would ride smoother (so why didn't they use one with comparitive suspension? and that most consumers are likely to buy?)

Seems as though their ranking criteria was based soley on all the cliche reasons people generally hate mid-sized sedans but buy anyway out of necessity.  Brands like Mazda, Nissan, Subaru and yes Hyundai have attempted to raise the bar in this segment with unboring designs and an attempt to bring at least some measure of performance and appeal to the mid size fence sitters that have avoided buying for a lack thereof. 

Camry IMO personifies the cliche mid size and every reason I would not buy a midsize if that were my only choice and go CUV/SUV instead. The only two I would consider seriously are the Subaru and definately the Hyundai Sonata. So suicide watch? I hardly think so, lets see the numbers when the dust settles.

P.S. The real reason the Camry came first .... they just couldn't stop it.  sorry had to get that shot in there.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2010, 06:25:35 pm »

Well they do say at the beginning that they only looked at the 7 top-selling sedans on the market... blame Mazda for not selling enough of their Mazda6's then...  ;)

Hard to believe the Subaru is in the top 10 selling vehicles in the US.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2010, 06:30:16 pm »

Hard to believe the Subaru is in the top 10 selling vehicles in the US.

It's not.  It's in the top 10 selling "cars" (or maybe sedans) in the US.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2010, 06:35:17 pm »
Wow, I'm actually amazed. If I would care more for this car (with the CVT trans), I would have looked for the numbers to confirm your statement. But I don't.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2010, 06:38:41 pm »
Wow, I'm actually amazed. If I would care more for this car (with the CVT trans), I would have looked for the numbers to confirm your statement. But I don't.

I dunno..I'm doubtful too. Here's top 10 cars for Feb, and no Legacy:  http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2010/03/best-selling-cars-usa-february-2010.html

And another list...no Subaru either:  http://autos.aol.com/gallery/best-selling-cars/

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2010, 07:15:13 pm »
Would imagine they're talking sales of mid-sized family sedans.

I'm NOT a sedan shopper, but my choices in this segment would be:
- Passat (lovely in every respect except could use more appealing seats, available with high content and MT... and a wagon  :D)
- Sonata (exceptional combination of style, size, value, power/fuel economy, features, and standout pricing. Really think it the leader in segment)
- Regal (more expensive because base car is highly contented, but high quality and solid... would have to drive to see if base engine performance is satisfactory, the Turbo puts it into TSX pricing but that's probably the only way I'd buy one)
- Legacy (AWD, doesn't disappoint in many areas)
- TSX (it's something I'd consider stretching for)
- Mazda6 (great balance of style, size, value)

None of the others appeal to me.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 07:17:11 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!