Author Topic: Feature: Honda Civic - still going strong  (Read 17437 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Feature: Honda Civic - still going strong
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 10:33:13 pm »
By asking for a turbo, you guys are just jinxing the chances of ever seeing one.  You should all now accept the fact that Honda does not listen to its customers.  

Well they may not be listening to you in particular, but where the Civic is concerned they must be paying attention to their customers because more people bought that car than any other in Canada each year for the last 12 years.  I can think of no more conclusive proof of the fact that they are giving their customers what their customers want.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 10:56:19 pm »
"Everything is perfectly laid out, ergonomically friendly and easy to use."

Quite a strong statement for such an ugly interior.

How so?! An interior can be all those things (objective), whether the interior is ugly (subjective) or not. I don't see what one has to do with the other...
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 10:10:20 am »
"Everything is perfectly laid out, ergonomically friendly and easy to use."

Quite a strong statement for such an ugly interior.

How so?! An interior can be all those things (objective), whether the interior is ugly (subjective) or not. I don't see what one has to do with the other...

Agreed - ergonomics and aesthetics are not the same thing.  You can have a functional interior that isn't particularly beautiful, and a beautiful interior that isn't particularly functional.  Of course, you can also have both beauty and function.  While I don't particularly like the look of the Civic's split dash, I find it hard to conceive that it could be described as "ugly".  Of course, people like what they like and don't what they don't.

Jaeger

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 10:55:16 am »
So you would agree with the author that it is "perfectly" laid out?

I should have been more subjective in my writing. I find the dash is really cheap looking...cheap plastics. I do not like the visibility it affords. I hate the speedometer. 

I hope the next one changes substantially.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 11:04:12 am »
..c'mon this was a PEE ARRRGH exercise...........walk around tha block....and ye'll see 100 Civics ...so wot.............seen the houses people BUY fer $300K PLUS..................... :-* :-* :-*...Oh Camry Buyers get into $450K Mansions...... ;) ;D :stick: and need  a "Boomerang device" to locate their beige mobiles in tha neighbourhood....... >:D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 11:16:40 am »

I should have been more subjective in my writing. I find the dash is really cheap looking...cheap plastics. I do not like the visibility it affords. I hate the speedometer. 

I really have no idea what you're talking about here.  The dash itself is highly legible in all respects, and the outward view is very much the traditional road-in-your-lap Honda experience.  Heck, the speedometer is so legible that the guy in the next lane over on the highway can easily read your speed.  I have a fair bit of wheeltime in the current generation Civic (I don't own one, but there are 3 or 4 in my extended family) and have never found the slightest deficiency in any aspect of visibility.  And if you think this dash "is really cheap looking", I suspect you have never been inside a Cobalt. 

You don't like it? Hey, that's fine.  Happily for Honda, a LOT of people do.  Substantial changes?  I think that would be unlikely.  They don't want to mess with success, and your personal dislike for the vehicle aside, this vehicle has unquestionably been a success for Honda.  Incremental improvements that address the wants / needs / desires of their paying customers seems a more probable strategy to me.

Jaeger

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2010, 02:43:40 pm »

I really have no idea what you're talking about here.  The dash itself is highly legible in all respects, and the outward view is very much the traditional road-in-your-lap Honda experience.  Heck, the speedometer is so legible that the guy in the next lane over on the highway can easily read your speed.  I have a fair bit of wheeltime in the current generation Civic (I don't own one, but there are 3 or 4 in my extended family) and have never found the slightest deficiency in any aspect of visibility.  And if you think this dash "is really cheap looking", I suspect you have never been inside a Cobalt. 

You don't like it? Hey, that's fine.  Happily for Honda, a LOT of people do.  Substantial changes?  I think that would be unlikely.  They don't want to mess with success, and your personal dislike for the vehicle aside, this vehicle has unquestionably been a success for Honda.  Incremental improvements that address the wants / needs / desires of their paying customers seems a more probable strategy to me.

Jaeger

So you do agree with the author that it is "perfectly" laid out? I guess no changes shoudl be made by Honda then. Should not mess with prefection.

A lot of people bought Cavaliers/Sunbirds. They are cheap looking too.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2010, 03:49:19 pm »

Jaeger

So you do agree with the author that it is "perfectly" laid out? I guess no changes shoudl be made by Honda then. Should not mess with prefection.

Well, that would be your guess, not mine.

Obviously you are deeply bothered by the author's (not my) use of the term "perfectly laid out".  I can only suggest therapy.  I notice that you didn't care to explain in what way the dash affords poor visibility - but merely to continued to rant.  And if you are seriously suggesting that there is any comparative equivalence between the current Civic and the craptastic Cavalier / Sunbirds of old, you may be beyond the reach of therapy.  You are certainly beyond the point of reasonabe discussion - and hence, this is where we part company.  Have a nice day.

Jaeger
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 03:58:09 pm by Jaeger »

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 08:10:43 pm »
Heck, the speedometer is so legible that the guy in the next lane over on the highway can easily read your speed. 

Have caught myself doing that a number of times  ;D

I quite like the current Civic. Coupe and especially sedan. Think it one of the few true cool, yet thrifty and affordable cars. It's not light, but something about it comes across that way with the design and flingability - different from a Mazda3 which may be a better handler and what not but I don't get the same sense - that I appreciate and admire in a strange way. And Honda took some calculated risks with the design such as the dash/speedo, seat fabric, e-brake handle, forward A-pillar, etc which makes it stand apart. Truely reminds me of an evolution of the '90s generation of car.

Last I read the next generation would be slightly smaller. And due pretty soon. Like others, I'm very much looking forward to what they come up with next and hope to hell they don't beat it with the Honda-ugly stick.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 08:40:51 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 08:51:46 pm »
Heck, the speedometer is so legible that the guy in the next lane over on the highway can easily read your speed. 

Last I read the next generation would be slightly smaller. And due pretty soon. Like others, I'm very much looking forward to what they come up with next and hope to hell they don't beat it with the Honda-ugly stick.

I think they have already given it a couple of whacks with that stick, but agree - here's to hoping Honda doesn't go for the home run swing with the next re-do

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 12:41:42 am »
I think MK8 Civic was spot on and the sales number speak for themselves. Just open your eyes and look around every second car on the road is a Civic. It still is the best car on the market. The dashboard works amazingly well. The interior has not dated nor has the design. Considering that it has been out for 4 years It looks like it was design yesterday. Honda doesn't need to listen to anyone they know what they doing the Civic is proof of this.

Quote from: WxyOne18link=topic=66282.msg636090#msg636090date=1268959906
I think they have already given it a couple of whacks with that stick, but agree - here's to hoping Honda doesn't go for the home run swing with the next re-do

This is rumored to be the next Civic.

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 10:59:35 am »

Jaeger

Well, that would be your guess, not mine.

Obviously you are deeply bothered by the author's (not my) use of the term "perfectly laid out".  I can only suggest therapy.  I notice that you didn't care to explain in what way the dash affords poor visibility - but merely to continued to rant.  And if you are seriously suggesting that there is any comparative equivalence between the current Civic and the craptastic Cavalier / Sunbirds of old, you may be beyond the reach of therapy.  You are certainly beyond the point of reasonabe discussion - and hence, this is where we part company.  Have a nice day.

Jaeger

You are saying that I am ranting? Gee, I wonder who is in need of therapy. Don't worry, I won't question anything about the beloved civic anymore. I can feel the pain it is causing you.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 12:23:19 pm »
I think MK8 Civic was spot on and the sales number speak for themselves. Just open your eyes and look around every second car on the road is a Civic. It still is the best car on the market. The dashboard works amazingly well. The interior has not dated nor has the design. Considering that it has been out for 4 years It looks like it was design yesterday. Honda doesn't need to listen to anyone they know what they doing the Civic is proof of this.

Hmmm... that looks promising.  Wow, a new Honda that isn't uglier than the previous one...  i guess it's possible...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 12:39:00 pm »

Hmmm... that looks promising.  Wow, a new Honda that isn't uglier than the previous one...  i guess it's possible...
Yep - here's hoping.

Jaeger

Dragon75

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2010, 03:10:28 pm »
Hey people,

When will you all learn NOT to ask Honda for anything.

People begged for a turbo for the TSX, and Honda delivered a V6 instead.

People asked for a station wagon variant of the Accord, and Honda gave us the  Crosstour.

By asking for a turbo, you guys are just jinxing the chances of ever seeing one.  You should all now accept the fact that Honda does not listen to its customers.  
If you persist in asking for a turbo, Honda will serve up the next generation Civic with a resurrected Acura Vigor 5-cylinder mated to your choice of a 4-speed automatic or 5 speed manual and seating for 6 passengers.  So, please stop asking and you won't be disappointed.
TSX wagon coming soon just to make you happy, and there are a bizzillion turbos for Civics and they aren't standard because over 50% of buyers don't want it so Honda is happy to let you do it yourself. My buddy's shop does it all the time.

MMMMB

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2010, 11:09:42 am »
The slope of the hood on the 8th gen is quite susceptible to stone chips.  I know of a couple people who've repainted their hoods already.  I'd still take a 6th gen over the 8th.  Whether they stick with the R18 or not will be interesting, e.g. what will compete with the smaller DI-T 4s (better fuel economy, power, and great torque for dd) from GM and Ford...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2010, 05:56:55 pm »
I used to own a 2008 Civic SI Coupe, so what I'm about to say comes from experience.

I loved the styling of the coupe -- until they face-lifted it in '09.  I don't find it ugly now, just not as nice as the '06-'08.

The paint quality was absolute crap.  After a few months of owning my car and driving it as a daily driver in normal conditions (i.e. the occasional gravel road here and there) the hood already had many deep stone chips.  After about a year of owning the car, I found rust on the hood.  Yes, that was RUST on a 1 year old car.  I was quite disappointed.  Also, I found out that using the do-it-yourself washes with the scrubby foam brushes is a great way to leave scratch marks in the clear coat on that car.  Even after several coats of wax, I couldn't get them to disappear.  The paint quality was horrible on that civic.  Such a shame, too, because it was the Fiji blue Pearl, the dark blue that they have on the SI.  An awesome colour to be sure.

As far as the interior is concerned:

I thought it was very handsome, with nice soft-ish touch materials where they mattered, and a nice alcantara style cloth in other places.  I was a big fan of the two tier dash.  I could stare out the windshield at the road straight ahead and catch my speed at the bottom of my peripheral vision.  It was great.  The seats were super comfy, and the interior was just a nice place to be.  Not GTI nice, but not bad none the less.  Actually, one time I did a 33 hour straight drive from Winnipeg to New Orleans.  I credit the interior and comfort of that car as the reason that I made it down there sane and alive.

It was, however, very prone to wear.  The 'alcantara' cloth on the armrest was starting to fade after about a year of owning the car.  A buddy of mine had a Civic DX sedan, and his shift knob (5-speed) had all the colour and markings worn off of it.  It was just a white piece of plastic after 4 years of owning it.  Thankfully the shift knob in my SI was machined aluminum, so it didn't wear in the same way.  The 'soft touch' material on the dash (passenger side, mostly) was very prone to scratching.

As far as visibility was concerned, the only complaint I had is that the A-pillar was so far forward, and raked so far back, that when going around a left-hand corner, it blocked my view of where I was going.  I actually had to learn to lean my body to the right slightly to peer around the pillar.  Other than that, visibility was great.  Other than the huge blind spot, of course.  But it was a coupe.  I knew I'd sacrifice a little bit of visibility rearward for that!

Was I happy with the vehicle?  Absolutely.  Would I buy another one?  In a heatbeat, if I was looking for that type of vehicle.  It had a few deficiencies and gripes that I didn't like, but over all I was very satisfied with it.

I got rid of it because a small pick-up truck was the order of the day.  Otherwise I'd still have it.

For comparisons sake, I now have a 4 year old Ford Ranger.  Compared to the Civic, the paint is holding up great.  We were out wheeling one day, and a friend with a JEEP and an aftermarket steel bumper backed into the side of my truck, and left a big gouge down the side of the truck.  That was almost a year ago.  One summer and winter later, and it still hasn't begun to rust.  There's no stone chips on the hood, no scratches from trailside branches being dragged down the side of the truck, etc.

The interior also holds up very well.  Sure, its got a vinyl floor, rough cloth seats and a hard plastic dash, but they feel like they can last forever.

It's the complete opposite of the Civic.  Unsatisfying to drive.  Definately not as comfortable.  Not as nice to look at.  Definately bulletproof and indestructable.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2010, 07:24:53 pm »
^^^ Welcome.  Heck of a good first post.

Jaeger

Offline vaff3

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Accord, 2001 Acura MDX
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2010, 11:29:34 pm »
I have a black 08; EX sedan; 5spd; bought new; and have to agree with most of the comments by the previous Civic owner.  We had just got the car, and my wife took it to Calgary, met a gravel truck and the hood was plastered with paint chips.  I took it to a friend's shop and covered it with paint protection (and had the windows tinted).  I still feel a bit blind looking and turning left because of the front pillars.

That being said, I think it's a gorgeous looking car.  I love the two tier dash, as I can lower the steering wheel, and seeing the speedo isn't an issue.  The manual transmission is a work of art.  It has the same interior dimensions as my dad's '88 Accord.  The ACE structure is a top notch safety feature. The flat rear floor allows seating for 3.  I get great gas mileage.  It has no rattles, squeaks, squeals, shimmies...never been to the shop. 

I owned a '00 Acura EL as well, and there was no comparison between the two cars.  The Civic was better in every area you could measure.  Don't get me wrong, the EL was great too, but it was clear how much the compact sedan had improved in 8 years.

Would I buy another one?  Absolutely, but I don't intend on getting rid of this one for a long time...however, I've said that before. If I do, Honda will get first shot at retaining my business.

RacerStu

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2010, 08:57:33 pm »
I sure wish they sold the European style Type S and Type R Civics in Canada. I would only buy a hatchback, so I won't replace my 93 DX until Honda offers a hatch again. I love my car, it weighs less than 2200 lbs and is pretty peppy with 102 hp. I have carried amazing loads in it more times than I can count, I have no use for a sedan or coupe. I'm about due for a new car, but will only buy a Honda hatch which isn't loaded down with a bunch of useless power junk. Import the European hatch and I'll buy one tomorrow. Otherwise I'll stick with my reliable '93 which has never let me down, gets 43 mpg in the city, handles like it's on rails with the big, sticky tires I've installed and can blow the doors off most new cars if I shift at 7,000 rpm. My Civic is still has the original clutch, rad, alternator, starter, ect. All I've changed is the tires, brakes, exhaust and filters over the past 17 years.