Author Topic: Feature: Honda Civic - still going strong  (Read 17428 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: Honda Civic - still going strong
« on: March 17, 2010, 04:07:21 am »

James Bergeron hadn’t been behind the wheel of a Civic in a while, so he decided to accept Honda’s invitation to thrash a few 2010 Civics around a race-track to find out how they stack up to newer competitors.

Read More...

John MacDonald

Re: Feature: Honda Civic - still going strong
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 07:12:59 am »
Not sure when they might get around to it but I'm really looking forward to the next generation of Civics, hopefully it's not just a face lift.  I remember when this current model came out it was very different from the competition and got better performance and gas mileage.  If they do the same jump in power and fuel economy (not to mention another upgrade to the interior styling) then the next generation should be a major hit.  Oh and wouldn't it be nice for the SI to get a small turbo charger and get 250HP.

Handman1

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 07:28:02 am »
he probably wanted to get a free trip and head out to south beach

Malibu_Jack

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 08:23:45 am »
Not sure when they might get around to it but I'm really looking forward to the next generation of Civics, hopefully it's not just a face lift.  I remember when this current model came out it was very different from the competition and got better performance and gas mileage.  If they do the same jump in power and fuel economy (not to mention another upgrade to the interior styling) then the next generation should be a major hit.  Oh and wouldn't it be nice for the SI to get a small turbo charger and get 250HP.

Hopefully, the Civic will not be the next victim to fall out of the Ugly tree like the rest of the Honda lineup...

carsncars

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 08:50:53 am »
he probably wanted to get a free trip and head out to south beach

...who wouldn't? ;D

While I just can't see warming up to the Civic's interior, it's still a solid choice of car. Pretty reliable, well priced (new--used, not so much) and more entertaining than a Corolla. I'm even quite fond of its dustbuster-aping looks. I agree--hopefully the next generation doesn't follow the same trend as the Insight, CR-Z, or Crosstour.

Offline DF

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 11:32:02 am »
Wouldn't it be nice if they can make the hatchback version available here.  How about a six speed manual transmission along with Honda's super handling all wheel drive, or just bring back the torque vectoring front wheel drive like in the Prelude.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 11:38:56 am »
..the new FIESTAS are just awaiting to eat it's LUNCH....and beat it up fer POP MONEY......... :stick: >:D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 12:36:29 pm »
"The Civic was Canada’s best selling car in February, and has been so for 12 consecutive years.."

Aparently, it doesn't suck as badly as some on here would have you believe.  ;)

Long in the tooth, but still a solid entry.  I'm not a fan of a digital speedo or a split dash on an aesthetic level, but having driven more than a few of these Civics, I can say that on a functional level it works very well indeed.  That said, a more traditional dash layout would be welcome in the next generation.  An upgrade to a 6 speed manual would also be on the wish list.  Oh, and Honda, please don't make it excruciatingly ugly.  And it doesn't need to be ANY bigger, okay? 

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Testwhat

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 12:41:05 pm »
Where were the comparison vehicles?  Most new cars are pretty competent on their own and only back to back drives can reveal the differences.  Put these older Civics up against the new Mazada3 and even the new Hyundai and Kia products and I'm not sure the results would be as impressive

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 12:59:58 pm »
It doesn't need to be a turbo but a jump in HP for the SI is definitely required, although since they already have a 2.4L turbo in there stable it might be the easier option even the 237-hp Type R Mugen engine is likely not enough to compete with 265+hp turbo competitors.
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

b16vtec

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 03:17:29 pm »
Hey people,

When will you all learn NOT to ask Honda for anything.

People begged for a turbo for the TSX, and Honda delivered a V6 instead.

People asked for a station wagon variant of the Accord, and Honda gave us the  Crosstour.

By asking for a turbo, you guys are just jinxing the chances of ever seeing one.  You should all now accept the fact that Honda does not listen to its customers.  
If you persist in asking for a turbo, Honda will serve up the next generation Civic with a resurrected Acura Vigor 5-cylinder mated to your choice of a 4-speed automatic or 5 speed manual and seating for 6 passengers.  So, please stop asking and you won't be disappointed.

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 03:23:16 pm »
"Everything is perfectly laid out, ergonomically friendly and easy to use."

Quite a strong statement for such an ugly interior.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 03:39:28 pm »
People buy them regardless so why bother?

I would buy a nicely designed and executed Honda compact 5-door hatch, with decent power, decent feature set, for a decent price, but I don't think it's coming anytime soon.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 06:42:52 pm »
...can we SPELL..................."PUFF PIECE"......hope yer sunburn don't itch too much Wingie.............. :stick: :thumbdown:

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 08:18:58 pm »
I would buy a nicely designed and executed Honda compact 5-door hatch, with decent power, decent feature set, for a decent price, but I don't think it's coming anytime soon.

It's called the Honda Fit...

Dragon75

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 08:20:32 pm »
..the new FIESTAS are just awaiting to eat it's LUNCH....and beat it up fer POP MONEY......... :stick: >:D
Yeah I can't wait for the new Pinto either ::)

Dragon75

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 08:25:53 pm »
Where were the comparison vehicles?  Most new cars are pretty competent on their own and only back to back drives can reveal the differences.  Put these older Civics up against the new Mazada3 and even the new Hyundai and Kia products and I'm not sure the results would be as impressive
You only have to wait a few months then all new models can be compared, till then . The Mazda 3 is the only one in my eyes that can challenge the Civic currently in all categories mind you its demographic is much smaller than the Civics, and that butt ugly grill scares even die hard mazda 3 freaks. Say Cheese  ;D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 08:45:45 pm »

It's called the Honda Fit...
+1
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline onearmed

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 09:26:21 pm »
I wouldn't want to own one after warranty  ;) :rofl: 

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 09:48:29 pm »
I really enjoyed my MK8 Civic. Compared to the Focus I'm driving now. The ford is not a patch on Civic in terms of quality fit and finished. Driving dynamics they are about equal. But everything else is just not as good IMO. The only saving grace is I saved a small fortune buying Focus over a the same year Civic. Almost half the price in fact. So that makes me smile and helps me swallow the cheaper feel.