Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Infiniti M37 and M56  (Read 20715 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2011 Infiniti M37 and M56
« on: March 16, 2010, 04:06:10 am »

With new styling, more power, better fuel economy, and a host of technology and comfort features, Infiniti’s new M37 V6 and M56 V8 sedans hope to break out of their relative obscurity in the highly competitive mid-size luxury sedan field.

Read More...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: First Drive: 2011 Infiniti M37 and M56
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 06:12:39 am »
I hope that when the next test of these cars appears that there will be some comparison with the various models of the BMW 5-er/M-B E-classe.   From the review it gives an impression of being aimed at M-B & BMW wannabees with a gadget fetish... this is not a bad thing... German mid size cars can be a bit austere as luxury cars.

i wonder why they are in "relative obscurity"  Look ok. Priced ok. Plenty of Nissan/Infiniti dealers ( in GTA/SW Ont anyway) but I have seen very few Infiniti M cars in the years since the first ones were introduced in 2003 IIRC.
Is it because the G cars are so good that people just don't bother with the more expensive M ?
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 06:39:50 am »
That's part of it. But it is easier to succeed at the lower end of the "luxury" line where value is more important than higher in the product line where prestige is a much more important factor. Infiniti just never convinced they were true alternative to German sedans above $50K. Infiniti's lack of consistency has cost them a lot.

These are the first good interior pictures I have seen and I understand why. The interior are a bit of let down IMO: what's up with this steering wheel that could be coming from a low end Hyundai? The dash is barely ok; putting that much wood on it (and on the console) is not by itself a guaranty for success. Of course, it is all a matter of personal opinion. I found it too busy with no aesthetic gain from being such.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 07:41:32 am »
I've always been a huge fan of the M.  IMO, it's a beautiful car inside and out.......and a very competent performer as well.  Infiniti has a done a great job with the new M.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

John MacDonald

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 07:51:55 am »
I hope that when the next test of these cars appears that there will be some comparison with the various models of the BMW 5-er/M-B E-classe.   From the review it gives an impression of being aimed at M-B & BMW wannabees with a gadget fetish... this is not a bad thing... German mid size cars can be a bit austere as luxury cars.

i wonder why they are in "relative obscurity"  Look ok. Priced ok. Plenty of Nissan/Infiniti dealers ( in GTA/SW Ont anyway) but I have seen very few Infiniti M cars in the years since the first ones were introduced in 2003 IIRC.
Is it because the G cars are so good that people just don't bother with the more expensive M ?

I think the problem with previous models is with the comparison with the G series.  The old model did not look much bigger, expensive, or different than the G.  As mentioned above the interior of the M was never a strong point in the past.  Then the real kicker (for me at least) the V6 that was in the G produced more power than in the M and it was the same engine.  Then the V8 got a lot worse fuel efficiency and not a whole lot more performance.  I think with this new model they have solved these problems (or at least attempted to).  Now the big question is how are they going to get the consumer into their dealer to try one of these.  I'm under the impression that those looking for a vehicle in this price range go all german (BMW, Audi, MB) and sometimes go for a Lexus, rarely do they ever stop by the Acura or Infiniti dealer as the "flag ship" model is not up to par.  What I never get is why do sport packages never increase engine performance?  I understand that the V8 is geared for fuel efficiency but if you're opting for the sport package why not adjust it a bit (30-40 more HP) and sacrifice a bit of fuel efficiency.  That would make it a lot easier for me to spend $7,500-$12,000 more.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12407
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 09:14:31 am »

I think the problem with previous models is with the comparison with the G series.  The old model did not look much bigger, expensive, or different than the G.  As mentioned above the interior of the M was never a strong point in the past.  Then the real kicker (for me at least) the V6 that was in the G produced more power than in the M and it was the same engine.  Then the V8 got a lot worse fuel efficiency and not a whole lot more performance.  I think with this new model they have solved these problems (or at least attempted to).  Now the big question is how are they going to get the consumer into their dealer to try one of these.  I'm under the impression that those looking for a vehicle in this price range go all german (BMW, Audi, MB) and sometimes go for a Lexus, rarely do they ever stop by the Acura or Infiniti dealer as the "flag ship" model is not up to par.  What I never get is why do sport packages never increase engine performance?  I understand that the V8 is geared for fuel efficiency but if you're opting for the sport package why not adjust it a bit (30-40 more HP) and sacrifice a bit of fuel efficiency.  That would make it a lot easier for me to spend $7,500-$12,000 more.

Agreed on all points.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

CatsEye68

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 09:28:14 am »
While I like this car, it seems very overpriced for what you get. There is still a status deficit in many buyers minds between the Infiniti brand and MB or BMW, and these prices do not take that into account.

John MacDonald

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 10:02:13 am »
While I like this car, it seems very overpriced for what you get. There is still a status deficit in many buyers minds between the Infiniti brand and MB or BMW, and these prices do not take that into account.

You may be right but you also have to admit that compared to previous models this is a big improvement in narrowing that gap.  The old models were a bit more expensive than the current model and I have a hard time thinking of any vehicle in this price range that has this much kit in it for the price.  I know BMW, MB, and Audi might make a better driving vehicle but I'm not sure they offer the same amount of features.  That being said personally I would not buy this vehicle compared to it's competitors as you say it just doesn't have the same brand "status."

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 12:45:01 pm »
I've never been a big fan of Infiniti's interiors and would have to sit in this one to see how it fares in person, but I have to say that this is one great looking vehicle! The way the hood curves in around the headlamps is very distinctive and gives it a menacing look.  :thumbup:

Mankie Scott

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 01:30:48 pm »
The new M sounds great, and the recent IIHS crash tests show it's at least as safe as the last one, but I still want to wait for the Rear Crash Testing that IIHS will do in April, since the last M did poorly in the rear testing.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 01:48:02 pm »
I've never been a big fan of Infiniti's interiors and would have to sit in this one to see how it fares in person, but I have to say that this is one great looking vehicle! The way the hood curves in around the headlamps is very distinctive and gives it a menacing look.  :thumbup:

Infiniti interiors have come a LONG way over the last few years.  I've owned 3 Infiniti vehicles and can speak from experience.  I had a 2003 G Sedan, and while the interior wasn't what I would consider "bad" and didn't have any rattles, the plastics were extremely hard and the interior wasn't up to par for the class of the vehicle.  The second gen G Sedan is leaps and bounds better than the 1st generation and Infiniti really stepped up their interior quality in a huge way.  If you have sat in any recent Infiniti interior (G, M, FX, EX) you'll see that their interiors have come a long way and are right up there with the competition.  Of course this is JMHO.  :)

I totally agree with you on the menacing look. 

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 05:45:09 pm »
..just like Mazda when they tried to introduce the "Amati" up market cars with the Millenia...they HIT the  BRASS CEILING..........................folks with the "brass" wanted a Lexus or a Germanium ............................same PROBLEM IMHO.............
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 06:55:31 pm »
Infiniti and Acura have never managed to develop that certain cachet that Mercedes and BMW have when it comes to status. For some reason Lexus was able to move into that group but not the other two "luxury" marques from Japan.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

350Zed

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 07:06:55 pm »
Part of the mystique of MB and BMW is perceived exclusivity dervied from premium pricing.  This is a fallacy because the value difference between those brands and their nearest competitors--Infiniti, Lexus, Audi, and even Hyundai (Genesis)--is diminishing, and Beemers and Benzs are far too common on the road.

I like Infiniti's offerings because they are different (far fewer on the road versus BMW and MB) and they offer better value (performance and content at the same price).

Compare the M37 to a 535i or E350, and although they may seem to price-compete in base configurations, add options/packages to either of the Germans and you'll find that you're spending way more for something that doesn't perform nearly as well.  A similar conclusion can be drawn comparing the M56 to the 550i or E500.

The brand-sheep can have their blue-propeller and 3-point-star... the smart money goes to Infiniti.

350Zed

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 07:10:00 pm »
..just like Mazda when they tried to introduce the "Amati" up market cars with the Millenia...they HIT the  BRASS CEILING..........................folks with the "brass" wanted a Lexus or a Germanium ............................same PROBLEM IMHO.............

If this was a Nissan product, your argument would be valid.

It isn't.................................... and it's not.

[oh crap, my ........... key is stuck too]  ::)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 07:35:13 pm »

If this was a Nissan product, your argument would be valid.

It isn't.................................... and it's not.

[oh crap, my ........... key is stuck too]  ::)

Since when is Infiniti not Nissan?  ???

Lexus = Toyota

Acura = Honda

Infiniti = Nissan

Amati would have been  Mazda  (launch aborted and Millenia sold as a Mazda)

I think that's where some of the perceived status still comes from for MB and BMW. Neither brand can be viewed as a "dressed up" something else.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 08:20:49 pm »
Don't know what the purpose of the M37 is.    The G37 is a damn nice vehicle,  I wouldn't pony up the extra 7K for the M.

If I was running Infiniti (psst. Infiniti, i'm open to offers.  Call me.)  i'd dump the M37 and just have the M56.   The M56 looks pretty sweet to me with that 420 HP V8.  There's your flagship, and its a pretty nice one by the look of it.

The M37 though?  Meh, give me the G.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 08:30:11 pm »
I like the sound of that "Forest Air" option.   

That means if I "let one fly" in the car when i'm with the wife, I won't have to worry about any negative after effects.   :D

The "breeze like" flow of air will take care of it!!
Now thats luxury!!  Top that you Germans!

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • to the beat of the different drum
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 08:50:09 pm »
I really like the new M.  Nissan's styling dept has been doing a very good job of things ever since the G-Coupe launched.  It's the only Japanese luxury brand that feels completely different from the parent. 

That.... and 0%... that's NONE of Infiniti's cars are FWD skin-jobs.

Infiniti just never convinced they were true alternative to German sedans above $50K.
They seem to be doing well with SUVs though.  There are a lot of FX's on the road.  New ones too.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 08:54:31 pm by Mattesa »

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 10:59:24 pm »
Wish they made the V8 with a manual. THAT would be a fun car!!!
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons