Author Topic: The latest Consumer Reports reliability ratings--some thoughts  (Read 25481 times)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Re: The latest Consumer Reports reliability ratings--some thoughts
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2010, 01:47:00 pm »
So far I have better reliability out of my 1998 VW than my 2002 Honda.  That seems like a statistical abnormality.   :think:   Lets see if either of them will make it to when my kids are old enough to drive in a few years.  Ouch, I can feel the insurance pain just thinking about it...

Move to Saskatchewan for lower insurance! You can always build your own.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2010, 02:48:57 pm »
How did the Land Rover LR3 fare? :run:

Have a peek yourself:

Could be worse.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 02:51:25 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2010, 03:09:48 pm »
So far I have better reliability out of my 1998 VW than my 2002 Honda.  That seems like a statistical abnormality.   :think:   Lets see if either of them will make it to when my kids are old enough to drive in a few years.  Ouch, I can feel the insurance pain just thinking about it...

Move to Saskatchewan for lower insurance! You can always build your own.

I don't think my spouse would want to move back to Saskatoon.  Lower insurance is enticing though.  :)

Yup, Lego is ultra-reliable.   30+ years Lego can still work today without any problems. 

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2010, 04:08:23 pm »
..ya ain't kiddin' pardner...SNAP right TO IT................. :shuffle:....that may be a sore point fer some tho'.......

Saf with a ship load O' Lego Bits in his Dungeon err'''basement................... ;)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 04:10:06 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2010, 11:34:56 am »
How did the Land Rover LR3 fare? :run:

Have a peek yourself:

Could be worse.

Yeah Baby! Only half a black circle ;D. I'll get some pics up of the new LR soon.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2010, 01:50:45 pm »
I'm most surprised the Freestar is one of the most reliable vans. That is turn around for the books.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/Ford/Freestar/2007/Minivan/ratings

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2010, 05:58:46 pm »
I'm most surprised the Freestar is one of the most reliable vans. That is turn around for the books.

You sure you are not confused with the Windstar? (the real Ford Minivan). The Freestar was that Volvo derived 3 row seat vehicle that was renamed the Taurus X. I wouldn't call the Freestar a minivan..

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2010, 06:02:42 pm »

You sure you are not confused with the Windstar? (the real Ford Minivan). The Freestar was that Volvo derived 3 row seat vehicle that was renamed the Taurus X. I wouldn't call the Freestar a minivan..

Nope, you're thinking of the FreeSTYLE. The Freestar was the renamed Windstar.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2010, 10:16:13 pm »

YNope, you're thinking of the FreeSTYLE. The Freestar was the renamed Windstar.

Wow I was completely out of it on that one. I guess I don't have a love of the Ford minivan ;) I rented the big minivan (Freestar?) about 6 years back in Hawaii. A real POS. With 5k on the clock it rattled and the side door kept springing open.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 11:07:11 am by ktm525 »

Mitlov

« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2010, 10:19:30 pm »
I don't know how it was to drive, but the Freestyle was actually pretty cool.  It was the only vehicle I know of that provided comfortable, roomy seating for six adults while simultaneously offering better fuel economy (in FWD trim) then your typical minivan.  I think it's main problem was that, like the R-Class, it was a vehicle without a genre, and buyers didn't know what to think of it, and didn't come in asking for it.  It wasn't a minivan, it wasn't a crossover SUV, it was...a...something.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2010, 02:13:24 pm »
Dad's Freestar is 5 years old now. Regular maintenance and nothing more, well aside from a new passenger door after being run over by a Freightliner. :o

(Background for those unfamiliar with that story)

He's planing on keeping it for a few more years at least: it's paid for, it's reliable, and the resale is realy low.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 02:17:51 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Nathan@1010tires

« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2010, 11:44:48 pm »

Mine spent one day in the shop when I was on vacation in NS. Bought March 14th 2008, currently sitting at 59k. Rattles? There's one coming from the dash that I need to get fixed.

I'm curious, is yours lowered Nathan?

Of course  ;D.

I see where you are going, and it is a valid point. I will also say however I had a '91 Civic before this thing which was also lowered, had triple the mileage and rattled less.

The issue I had with the electrical however, was beyond a nightmare. The hatch would not open and it took the dealer 5.5 weeks to figure it out, they even flew out techs from Toronto to look at it. That stupid handle is a classis case of over-engineering.

On the other hand, I hit a rock on the highway at 130 about ten days ago, sounded like a grenade went off. My oil pan has about a navel orange sized dent and the subframe looks like someone bit a big chunk out of it. I have a new pan in the mail but I have driven it about 1000 kms since without issue... lol.

I have my eyes on a 2.0T Gen Coupe GT next though. I need RWD in my life again. 

vdk

« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2010, 01:28:17 am »

Mine spent one day in the shop when I was on vacation in NS. Bought March 14th 2008, currently sitting at 59k. Rattles? There's one coming from the dash that I need to get fixed.

I'm curious, is yours lowered Nathan?

Of course  ;D.

I see where you are going, and it is a valid point. I will also say however I had a '91 Civic before this thing which was also lowered, had triple the mileage and rattled less.

The issue I had with the electrical however, was beyond a nightmare. The hatch would not open and it took the dealer 5.5 weeks to figure it out, they even flew out techs from Toronto to look at it. That stupid handle is a classis case of over-engineering.

On the other hand, I hit a rock on the highway at 130 about ten days ago, sounded like a grenade went off. My oil pan has about a navel orange sized dent and the subframe looks like someone bit a big chunk out of it. I have a new pan in the mail but I have driven it about 1000 kms since without issue... lol.

I have my eyes on a 2.0T Gen Coupe GT next though. I need RWD in my life again. 

How low can you go?  :rofl2: It's probably part of the reason why, I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that. ;D

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2010, 10:32:16 am »
A co-worker bought a new Civic coupe last fall. The hood is pretty heavily chipped already. The centre console doesn't really rattle, but there are a number of little squeaks coming from it. She has had an ongoing issue with the rear struts. They are really noisy, and the dealer can't isolate the issue.

I recommended the car to her, so I get to hear all about the issues as they develop. :(

Nathan@1010tires

« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2010, 12:51:52 pm »
A co-worker bought a new Civic coupe last fall. The hood is pretty heavily chipped already. The centre console doesn't really rattle, but there are a number of little squeaks coming from it. She has had an ongoing issue with the rear struts. They are really noisy, and the dealer can't isolate the issue.

I recommended the car to her, so I get to hear all about the issues as they develop. :(

One of my good buddies (best man at my wedding) is one of Hondas top techs in the area. He is adamant the new Civics are not as well built as the ones from the mid to late 90's. As an example he says the front suspension on the older ones was good for 300k no problem, the newer ones may get half that. He says the new ones are still good, just not as good, and I tend to believe him.

DrJay

« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2010, 02:26:23 pm »

One of my good buddies (best man at my wedding) is one of Hondas top techs in the area. He is adamant the new Civics are not as well built as the ones from the mid to late 90's. As an example he says the front suspension on the older ones was good for 300k no problem, the newer ones may get half that. He says the new ones are still good, just not as good, and I tend to believe him.

Funny The service manager at the Honda Dealership where my wife and I leased ours said the same about our 07 Fit. Set of brakes before it hit 25,000kms $400.00 set of Tires shortly before it hit 50,000.kms $500.00 Telling Honda what to do with their Fit and how to get it there after the lease is up....Priceless

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2010, 06:35:34 am »

If they paved the road where you lived , that would help preventing  the stone chips  :stick:   ;D

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2010, 11:22:07 am »

When I was testing every damn econo box in the world a year or two ago, I noticed the noisy rears struts on the Civic. Just figured it was poor engineering on Hondas part. Damn disappointing, because they sure didn't do that in the 80's and 90's.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2010, 12:35:09 pm »

When I was testing every damn econo box in the world a year or two ago, I noticed the noisy rears struts on the Civic. Just figured it was poor engineering on Hondas part. Damn disappointing, because they sure didn't do that in the 80's and 90's.

I found a fix for that noise problem.  I crank up the radio in my gen 7 Civic and the noise from the rear passenger side be gone.  :D

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2010, 04:28:06 pm »

If they paved the road where you lived , that would help preventing  the stone chips  :stick:   ;D

;D