Author Topic: The latest Consumer Reports reliability ratings--some thoughts  (Read 25487 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12421
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: The latest Consumer Reports reliability ratings--some thoughts
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2010, 12:42:23 pm »
Now you gotta come up with something better than that dude.

Why, when you make it so easy?  :)

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

vdk

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2010, 03:04:13 pm »

Jaeger

Pardon me. I'll let you live in your little bubble undisturbed.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12421
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2010, 05:36:55 pm »

Jaeger

Pardon me. I'll let you live in your little bubble undisturbed.

Did you have something to contribute to the subject of the thread?  No?  Just more pot shots?  Hey, do what you need to do to stay happy.

Jaeger

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2010, 09:48:54 am »
^^ That's exactly what I thought too!

It's hard for some people to grasp the idea that German cars have improved since their 96 lemon.

It's only the Rabbit that's been any good.

I've driven a MK8 Civic for 3 years and 50,000 clicks. Not once a single problem. Perfect from the day I brought until I sold it. I wouldn't hesitate buying another Honda. 

How are Kia and Hyundai are the still below average?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 12:04:11 pm by Ontariodriver »

Mitlov

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2010, 11:38:14 am »
^^ That's exactly what I thought too!

It's hard for some people to grasp the idea that German cars have improved since their 96 lemon.

It's only the Rabbit that's been any good.

I guess it's all in how you define "any good."  The GTI, the Jetta TDI, the Tiguan, and the Passat are all rated as average reliability; the CC and the Rabbit are far above average (5 out of 5).  That's a good chunk of their lineup that's average or above.

I'm sure some will call me a VW fanboy for posting that, but those are Consumer Reports ratings, not my own.  And I've never heard anybody argue that Consumer Reports is unfairly biased in favor of VW or in favor of German cars.

I've driven a MK8 Civic for 3 year and 50,000 clicks. Not once single problem. Perfect from the day I brought until I sold it. I wouldn't hesitate buying another Honda. 

As long as we're comparing one person's experience to one person's experience, instead of comparing Consumer Reports ratings to Consumer Reports ratings, I've got twice that age and (edit: math failure) 2.5 times that mileage on my Jetta and I've just had wear-and-tear items replaced (brakes, tires, and the rear shocks) and one coolant temperature sensor fail.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 12:03:51 pm by Mitlov »

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2010, 12:03:01 pm »
I'm sure some will call me a VW fanboy

VW drivers have always rated their cars very highly. regardless of issue that they may or may not have had.

vdk

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2010, 12:50:01 pm »
Yeah that must be it.. ::)

Offline G35X

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +5/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2010, 01:14:37 pm »
VW drivers have always rated their cars very highly. regardless of issue that they may or may not have had… “ – ontariodriver

Very true. This statement applies to other makes, too.  MB drivers, BMW drivers, Corvette drivers…  In my neighbourhood there are unusually high number of Range/Land Rovers, many driven by 30/40 something women.  If reliability rating is any indication, there should not be this many Rovers.  Maybe those drivers are wealthy masochists. Or, are they trying to identify themselves with the vehicle that Her Majesty drives?

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2010, 03:59:04 pm »

Very true. This statement applies to other makes, too.  MB drivers, BMW drivers, Corvette drivers…  In my neighbourhood there are unusually high number of Range/Land Rovers, many driven by 30/40 something women.  If reliability rating is any indication, there should not be this many Rovers.  Maybe those drivers are wealthy masochists. Or, are they trying to identify themselves with the vehicle that Her Majesty drives?

Or they didn't put reliability high on their priority list when shopping for a vehicle.   

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2010, 04:17:21 pm »
..ONLY thang her Majesty drives is "ORSES.................chav-over James........... ;D  i needs ta shoot a peasant............... :o ;D 8).......save le COQUE.. ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 04:20:30 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

mp3butt

« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2010, 08:45:03 pm »
I'm sure some will call me a VW fanboy

VW drivers have always rated their cars very highly. regardless of issue that they may or may not have had.

I concur. Unless a person looks at his/her vehicle purely as an appliance, there must be some degree of passion to it. Thus, if that person does not think of the vehicle highly, it would have been purchased at the first place. It is just logics.
I still don't quite understand why some folks still have quibs over CR's data. I am not a statistician so I can't common on the reliability on the results. I had filled up the survey before when CR still attached a copy in Canadian edition of the mag. Most of the questions were hard stat like the number of transmission related repair you have in the year. Of course, the owner satisfaction question is always on the subjective side. It is the case for CR, and it is the same case for any organizations handing out customer satisfaction survey. "Satisfaction" is not science; it is mostly rooted from one's emotion towards the objective. So what you get about owner satisfaction from CR is as good as other similar studies, including JD Power.

Another thing worth  keeping in mind is the demongraphics of CR subscribers. They are a educated and concerned group. They care about their well being and the qualities of things they own. The chance of having them BSing on the survey may be lower than just fetching anyone on the street. Going back to our context, having spent my own money on the subscription for at least 10 years, I am still convinced that CR's data is still as reliable as you can ever find. Logically, it should be more reliable than JD powers, which just surveys every new car owner.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2010, 07:22:08 pm »
Consumers MAY! have had a leg UP on car quality back a while............they automatically gave Toyota a TOP RATING   WDF!!!...............nowadays aka 2010...the difference is car quality,reliabiltyand value is SLIM to NONE.......so buys wot ya likes Gals & Girls..........i suspect not many "average" blue collar folks subscribed to Consumers Mags.....so there was a built in bias.....upper mittle klass folks bragging ON THEIR PURCHASES....how much truthiness would that endow????...

Yeah I'm Dr./Lawyer/teacher etc......and MY CAR is ACES 'cos i'm so intuitive...but i wouldn't know a drift or burnout from a donut......and i use my car like an appliance to get to tha office 3km away daily and it has been superb................ :stick: :pimp: >:D

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2010, 08:06:13 pm »
Yes, reliabilty is fairly even for the first 5 years or so.   Year 7/150k kms is another story.

Mitlov

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2010, 09:12:24 pm »
Yes, reliabilty is fairly even for the first 5 years or so.   Year 7/150k kms is another story.

I guess we'll see when the MkV GTI and the 2008+ WRX hit seven years old, which won't happen for another couple years yet.

Offline onearmed

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2010, 09:31:25 pm »
Below Avg Reliability for me 2003 VW

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2010, 09:45:22 pm »
Below Avg Reliability for me 2003 VW

Don't worry..we still love you!   :rofl:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2010, 08:04:17 am »

Most of the people around here would not care about year 7.
Most people here appear to lease cars
By the way my 7 year old 198,000 km GMC is running perfect  ;D
so is the 10 year old 130,000 323 BMW

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2010, 11:30:29 am »

Most of the people around here would not care about year 7.
Most people here appear to lease cars
By the way my 7 year old 198,000 km GMC is running perfect  ;D
so is the 10 year old 130,000 323 BMW
..Phussay............... ::) :-*.....My 97 Ranger at 250,000 is smoother than yer Prius ;D...OOOPS............and Millie a ten year olde  with 165,000 just said her first words....."papa .......................a 10 year old BMW wif 130,000...how far is his beer store frum HOME :stick: :cheers:......................

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2010, 12:49:22 pm »
How did the Land Rover LR3 fare? :run:

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2010, 01:41:51 pm »
So far I have better reliability out of my 1998 VW than my 2002 Honda.  That seems like a statistical abnormality.   :think:   Lets see if either of them will make it to when my kids are old enough to drive in a few years.  Ouch, I can feel the insurance pain just thinking about it...