Author Topic: The latest Consumer Reports reliability ratings--some thoughts  (Read 25462 times)

Mitlov

I picked up the latest Consumer Reports print edition with the full reliability ratings (the one with the MkIII Prius and the new Outback on the front) and there's some interesting things to note.

(As a disclaimer, Consumer Reports collects data from subscribers on mechanical problems they've had with their cars.  Problems are weighted based upon severity, and then the cars are compared to all other cars from that year to see how they stack up reliability-wise; all ratings are based on how far above or below average for the year the car is.  "Predicted new reliability" is an extrapolation based upon the last three years of data--not brand reputation or problems-after-30-days or anything like that).

If you want reliable and European, go "entry-level" and naturally-aspirated.

The Volvo S40 2.4i is about 50% more reliable than average, slightly more reliable than a four-cylinder Camry.  The Golf (Rabbit) is similarly excellent, slightly outscoring the Honda Civic.  The BMW 128i and 328i both came in about 20% more reliable than average.  And the Porsche Cayman is the most reliable sporty car on the market, coming in at about 60% more reliable than average.  Typically, the higher-end models did more poorly.  The C30 T5 is about 15% better than average (not bad, but a big step down from 50% more reliable than average), the 135i is about 40% worse than average, and the GTI is barely worse than average (maybe 8% worse).  This point is based completely on the comparison charts on pp. 10 and 11, giving actual percentage ratings better and worse than average instead of the five dot colors.

Current scandal aside, Toyotas are still a safe bet reliability-wise.

Looking at the individual ratings for each year of each model, Toyotas are still getting very good marks.  Essentially every single year of every car Toyota sells is rated at "better than average" or "far better than average" for reliability.  This point is based on the individual car pages for Toyota, pp. 157-165.

If you want American, Fords are the safest bet reliability-wise.

The current-generation Mustang does very well in both V6 (50% more reliable than average) and V8 (35% more reliable than average) trims.  For comparison, a Civic Si comes in at 25% more reliable than average, and a Miata is about 30% more reliable than average.  (p. 11).  The Fusion also comes in at "far above average," and the Focus comes in at "above average."  Most other Fords come in at "average," including the Edge, Escape, Expedition, Sport Trac, F150, Flex, Ranger, and Taurus.  For comparison, instead of coming in at average or above average, Chevys and Chryslers typically came in somewhere between "far worse than average" and "average."

As one confusing point, the Mustang gets those exceptional ratings on p. 11, but is listed as "average" on p. 81.  I think that the p. 11 ratings might be against other sporty cars of the same year and the p. 81 rating is against all other cars of the same year, but I'm not positive.

Want to enjoy your purchase?  Buy what you want, not the most reliably-rated.

On p. 3, a survey of owner satisfaction appears (which is not tied in any way to the reliability ratings; it's a separate survey).  For sporty cars and roadsters, the ones with the highest "% of respondents who would definitely buy one again" are not the most reliable in the segment . Though some above-average-reliability performance cars like the Mustang and Cayman and Miata appear, you also have the 135i, the M3, the Corvette, the Mini Cooper, and the Challenger V8 getting top ratings (the Challenger V8 actually has the highest owner satisfaction of any car of any genre).  For family cars, the top four rated cars were the Fusion Hybrid, the Prius, the Jetta TDI, and the Camry Hybrid...notice a trend?

Worst owner satisfaction?  Noticing a trend here.

Ten vehicles with the lowest overall satisfaction ratings: Chevy Cobalt, Dodge Caliber, Pontiac G6, Chrysler Sebring, Saturn Vue Hybrid, Chevy Equinox, Pontiac Torrent (AWD), Pontiac Torrent (FWD), Dodge Nitro, and Chevy Colorado.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 10:05:25 pm by Mitlov »

Offline Blue01

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-13
    • View Profile
Re: The latest Consumer Reports reliability ratings--some thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 11:42:30 pm »
It happens year after year, that the crapiest cars out there are built in North America, this time by Chrysler and GM.  I'll bet they wish the Yugo was still around!
As for Consumer Report, I know some people really despise them for some unknown reason, but I've followed them for about 30 years and usually their reliability reports are pretty accurate.  There were a couple of times that I wish I had listened to them: '95 Grand Cherokee and '98 Dakota.
Ever since then it's been Subaru and Honda.

Mitlov

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 11:54:02 pm »
It happens year after year, that the crapiest cars out there are built in North America, this time by Chrysler and GM.  I'll bet they wish the Yugo was still around!

Actually, the crappiest cars out there reliability are the high-end European luxury yachts.  A8 or S-Class?  Or Jaguar XF for that matter?  Have fun.

Ever since then it's been Subaru and Honda.

Fun fact: the WRX (non-STI) is about 50% less reliable than average, the worst of the sporty cars listed on p. 11.  And as I mentioned, the Mustang is more reliable than the also-reliable Civic Si.

If you read my post and all you get is "the crappiest cars out there are built in North America," either you're reading very selectively or I completely failed to accurately summarize what I saw.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 12:10:53 am »
With respect to the German makes, the simpler base models have always been the best bet.  The complex, gadget laden flagships have always been the least reliable in the line, though there was a time when the S-Class was a pretty tank-like beast, offering mostly size, not stupidity.

For all the "Toyota's are crap" rhetoric, it's obviously false.  Others have caught Toyota, but in real terms, they haven't fallen far.

Great to see Ford coming on strong.  God knows we need the Big Three to stage a comeback!  That's great for consumers and for the economy.

vdk

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 12:12:19 am »
The Golf outscored the Civic. Unreliable who? :P

Mitlov

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 12:28:05 am »
With respect to the German makes, the simpler base models have always been the best bet. 

Definitely.  But what I thought was most notable was that the simple European models aren't just the best of Europe; they're downright reliable by any measure.  Reliability is now a wash (at worst) between the Golf and the Civic, and between the 328i and the IS250, and between the S40 2.4i and the TSX.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 12:30:13 am by Mitlov »

vdk

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 12:32:08 am »
I wonder how long it will take for people to realize that some European cars are no longer reliability nightmares.

Mitlov

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 12:44:37 am »
I wonder how long it will take for people to realize that some European cars are no longer reliability nightmares.

Sadly, I'm guessing another decade.  People seem slow to catch on to these things.

Don't believe me?  Look at the comments thread of any CD review of ANY German car.  By page three, it's inevitably turned into a "I drive an Infiniti/Toyota/whatever instead because in 1992 I had a Volkswagen that was awful, and I have a co-worker with a [insert random German car here that's unrelated to the one being tested] that's just awful."

While there certainly ARE some reliability disasters coming out of Germany, this shows that you just can't paint with that broad of a brush.

vdk

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 12:49:32 am »
^^ That's exactly what I thought too!

It's hard for some people to grasp the idea that German cars have improved since their 96 lemon.

Mitlov

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 12:53:00 am »
Speaking of unreliable cars, though, I just saw that the Jaguar XF is a shocking 131% less reliable than average, by far the worst surveyed on pp. 10-11.   :o

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 02:56:00 am »
Reliability is now a wash (at worst) between the Golf and the Civic, and between the 328i and the IS250, and between the S40 2.4i and the TSX.

Only in your dreams.  :)

Around year 7 is when the divide becomes very evident.

Mitlov

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 04:06:36 am »
Only in your dreams.  :)

Around year 7 is when the divide becomes very evident.

Have you been two years into the future to tell us all how E90 325i/328is stack up against IS250s?  Both models were new for model year 2006...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 05:42:05 am »
"I picked up the latest Consumer Reports print edition with the full reliability ratings (the one with the MkIII Prius and the new Outback on the front) and there's some interesting things to note."

My copy of April 2010 Consumer Reports has a Mk VI Golf GTI on the front... I guessed that the cover is different for  a Canada subscription copy.  But then;   My CR doesn't go up to pp 157 for Toyota...My CR has an ad for CR.org on p 81 ( Mustang note above)

are we talking about the same publication here?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 05:52:20 am by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 05:59:14 am »
TPL...Maybe you have the monthly magazine and Mitlov the annual car guide/reliability rating?
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 07:39:24 am »
TPL...Maybe you have the monthly magazine and Mitlov the annual car guide/reliability rating?
I do indeed have the magazine.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 08:03:18 am »

Ten vehicles with the lowest overall satisfaction ratings: Chevy Cobalt, Dodge Caliber, Pontiac G6, Chrysler Sebring, Saturn Vue Hybrid, Chevy Equinox, Pontiac Torrent (AWD), Pontiac Torrent (FWD), Dodge Nitro, and Chevy Colorado.

Is that the new Equinox? If so, what happened to supposedly the best CUV ever?  ;)

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 08:04:19 am »
I get the mag too. Great read....when I have time. The annual auto guide gets a place of yearlong permanence on the bathroom reading rack!  ;D
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Mitlov

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 10:50:47 am »

Is that the new Equinox? If so, what happened to supposedly the best CUV ever?  ;)

I suspect it's the old one, as the new one hasn't been around long enough to compile data on.

Mitlov

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 10:52:42 am »

Mine isn't the monthly magazine.  It's one of two annual car guides (the other of which focuses on the subjective ratings instead of reliability).  The title is "Consumer Reports Best & Worst New Cars," which is a misleading title for a publication that's primarily supplying data on reliability of used cars.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 11:35:46 am »

Mine isn't the monthly magazine.  It's one of two annual car guides (the other of which focuses on the subjective ratings instead of reliability).  The title is "Consumer Reports Best & Worst New Cars," which is a misleading title for a publication that's primarily supplying data on reliability of used cars.

Like TPL, the only one I've seen has the red GTI on the cover. But seems that may be the April issue since it's also available in the US http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4779179

Perceptions in the mass market take eons to change.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!