Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Volkswagen Touareg  (Read 16212 times)

Offline micha

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW Golf R; 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen; 1998 Mercedes E320
Re: First Drive: 2011 Volkswagen Touareg
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 02:07:02 am »
How many people buy a $50,000 SUV and go offroading with it? Probably not too many. The Touareg doesn't need the offroad capabilities.

I think the new one is a huge improvement. It looks much nicer than the old one, especially inside. It uses less fuel and probably handles better than the old one because of the reduced weight. Also like the touchscreen, much better than i-drive and whatever all the others are called. Just point at what you want.

@ ethan: I don't think anyone would cross-shop a Pilot against a Touareg. The difference in refinement and price is just too big. The Mercedes doesn't fit either. The ML starts at close to $60,000 and the Touareg at $45,000.

If I think about it, maybe they should offer the offroad package. Just to add a few potential customers.

my $0.02

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 08:21:20 am »
@ ethan: I don't think anyone would cross-shop a Pilot against a Touareg. The difference in refinement and price is just too big. The Mercedes doesn't fit either. The ML starts at close to $60,000 and the Touareg at $45,000.

I totally disagree on that. The Touareg will probably start around $45k, right in the middle of the price range of the Pilot. The Pilot EX-L sells for $45,020. So, for $45k, would you rather drive an Accord on stilts or a Touareg?

At $45k, the Touareg is great value IMO.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 11:55:27 am »

I totally disagree on that. The Touareg will probably start around $45k, right in the middle of the price range of the Pilot. The Pilot EX-L sells for $45,020. So, for $45k, would you rather drive an Accord on stilts or a Touareg?

At $45k, the Touareg is great value IMO.

If they price the diesel at $45k it would be great. The diesel mid level current Touareg at the autoshow was $56k so don't hold your breath.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 01:39:27 pm »
Sure, diesel would be even better, but the 3.6L FSI is also very good. At $45k, the Touareg comes with a great engine, fully appointed interior (leather, etc.), highly advanced transmission (8 speeds!) and drives great. Compare that to Honda's thirsty 3.5L with 5 speed transmission and mess of an interior! Buttons! And more buttons!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 02:22:08 pm »
Sure, diesel would be even better, but the 3.6L FSI is also very good. At $45k, the Touareg comes with a great engine, fully appointed interior (leather, etc.), highly advanced transmission (8 speeds!) and drives great. Compare that to Honda's thirsty 3.5L with 5 speed transmission and mess of an interior! Buttons! And more buttons!

Did I miss something? Has VW anounced pricing on this?

The 2010 Touareg Comfortline has leatherette (ie vinyl). No power seats and a very base stereo. These are not items in a "fully appointed" interior.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 03:01:36 pm »
Very base stereo? The 2010 Touareg comes standard with a 10 speaker sound system with Sirius satelite radio. It also currently comes with a much more robust drivetrain. Replacing this with a normal AWD system will allow VW to put those savings elsewhere, possibly leather standard.

I'm not sure if leather will be standard in the 2011, but Greg's tester had leather in it.

Leather or no leather, a $45k Touareg is very well equipped and worth every penny, IMO.

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 05:46:28 am »
I would not have bought my current Touareg if it didn't have proper off road capabilities. The only other options for those who want a proper off road vehicle with some semblance of style are the Toyota 4runner or the Land Rover LR4, but they don't come in diesel flavour for Canada. If I didn't need the off road capabilities I'd buy an X5.

How many people buy a $50,000 SUV and go offroading with it? Probably not too many. The Touareg doesn't need the offroad capabilities.

I think the new one is a huge improvement. It looks much nicer than the old one, especially inside. It uses less fuel and probably handles better than the old one because of the reduced weight. Also like the touchscreen, much better than i-drive and whatever all the others are called. Just point at what you want.

If I think about it, maybe they should offer the offroad package. Just to add a few potential customers.

my $0.02

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2010, 07:16:17 am »
I would not have bought my current Touareg if it didn't have proper off road capabilities. The only other options for those who want a proper off road vehicle with some semblance of style are the Toyota 4runner or the Land Rover LR4, but they don't come in diesel flavour for Canada. If I didn't need the off road capabilities I'd buy an X5.

I'm curious, why exactly do you need the off road capabilities of the Touareg?

And secondly, you can still get all that off road capabilities with the new Touareg, get the offroad package.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2010, 12:17:22 pm »

And secondly, you can still get all that off road capabilities with the new Touareg, get the offroad package.

I thought it siad the off version will not be coming to N/A. FWIW I have never seen a Touareg in a real offroad situation or setting. Lots of 4Runners though...

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2010, 01:16:08 pm »

I thought it siad the off version will not be coming to N/A. FWIW I have never seen a Touareg in a real offroad situation or setting. Lots of 4Runners though...

You're right; from the article:
In Europe, a 4XMotion AWD system coupled with a height-adjustable air suspension designed for serious off-roading will also be available, but this won’t be coming to Canada.

I missed that. Maybe 5 people will complain about this and buy something else. Everyone else that buys a Touareg will benefit greatly from this AWD change.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2010, 10:47:11 pm »
Are they moving to a slip and grip Haldex?

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2010, 06:07:38 am »
As a previous customer of Volkswagen with the Jetta and the Passat with very strong feelings about their lack of quality and resale values, I nevertheless wandered over to the VW Canada website yesterday to see if I could learn more about the new Touareg.

The answer to that was no - other than seeing a few more pictures and it does look rather nice. Call me a glutten for punishment if you will, but I would consider the new 'Reg if - the stars line up right, diesel is affordable and the price of all that matters - comes down. I know, I know - I need therapy for all the abuse I would likely end up suffering and more on that next.

So whilst veering thru the annals of VW's website a pop up asks me if I would like to take a survey about their website, after I have finished surfing. Sure, why not - quality can always be improved and my opinion is certainly valuable. ::)

Now we have to recall the purpose of my visit - to learn more about the new Touareg, right?  So I didn't find anythng other than those four pictures. Not a lot of new information here so naturally my quest for knowledge was limited. And my responses reflected that - they should never have asked.

But wait there is more - because I finish the survery and they ask me if I would like to receive more information about VW products yada yada...and  I cave and say yes. :banghead:

Shortly afterwards I receive a thank you note for susbscribing - isn't that nice and they ask me to confirm certain points. How nice ----especially when the GD form is entirely in FRENCH -- Now how did that happen? :think:

No, you will not be able to convince me that their quality issues have improved. Geesh. >:(

loser40

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2010, 08:54:07 am »
I like it...

Massively more attractive than before and with new efficient engine choices, an 8 speed auto-box,and great MPG.

If VW price it right it'll sell like hot cakes.

M.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2010, 09:46:58 am »
As a previous customer of Volkswagen with the Jetta and the Passat with very strong feelings about their lack of quality and resale values...

An all-too-common refrain from VW owners.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Claude Normand

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2010, 09:38:46 am »
I do not understand why the autor says that cargo capacity increased 25 litters behind seatsat 660 and increased 72 litters to 1642 littersif back seat is lowered. The 2010 Touareg has 900 litters capacity beyong back seat and 2000 litters capacity if back seat is lowered.  Then 2011Touareg is like a Audi Q5 for cargo capacity.