Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Lincoln MKT EcoBoost  (Read 19677 times)

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
Re: Test Drive: 2010 Lincoln MKT EcoBoost
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 07:42:11 am »
Unless Im wrong, but I don't think I am in this case, I believe every single vehicle sold in Canada has to be speed-limited to something like 208km/h. It doesn't matter if your odo shows 320km/h, your car is still limited to 208km/h.

There's no such law in Canada. Do you really think all those people walking into Porsche showrooms are plunking down $100,000+ for cars that are limited to 208 km/h?

Check out Porsche.ca and BMW.ca. You'll find many cars that are listed with top speeds well in excess of 208 km/h. Yes, many other cars are limited to lower speeds, but that's just a tire speed-rating thing, like tpl said.

From what I can see, every car's maximum speed is limited to the capabilities of their stock tires. Since most cars come with average tires, that means a 208km/h limit for most cars. Both the M3 and M5 are limited to 250km/h, most likely because of its tires. Without this electronic limit, I'm sure they could go much higher than 250km/h.

In this particular case, from what I can see, the Lincoln MKT Ecoboost is limited to 196km/h. So I ask again, what's the point of having speedo's to 300km/h when the car is limited to 196km/h?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 07:46:46 am »
My 330 came out of the showroom with VR rated tires.   As they were Goodyear RSA all seasons I would not have trusted them at speed on a hot day regardless but whatever.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 07:59:30 am »
....what's the point of having speedo's to 300km/h when the car is limited to 196km/h?

My buddy had a '81 Supra and the speedo only went to 140kph.....we never knew how fast we were going most days so if it had a 300kph speedo we would have known.  ;D

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 08:09:17 am »
....what's the point of having speedo's to 300km/h when the car is limited to 196km/h?

My buddy had a '81 Supra and the speedo only went to 140kph.....we never knew how fast we were going most days so if it had a 300kph speedo we would have known.  ;D

Bahhh I'd rather just see the needle hit against the maxixum and stay there. Looks way cooler!!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12420
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 09:03:37 am »

As far as looks, it's downright elegant compared to this:

No, they're both ugly. 

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 02:04:56 pm »

As far as looks, it's downright elegant compared to this:

No, they're both ugly. 

Jaeger

You sure do spend a lot of time in a threads for a car that you don't like.
And you're wrong too. How sad.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 02:19:41 pm »

It's a discussion board - that happens.  Do you constrain yourself to only making positive comments about vehicles that you like?  If so, that's your choice - I won't pretend to care one way or the other.

The only thing sad is how fugly this vehicle is.  But the sadness is alleviated to some extent by someone - I'm not naming names - descrbing this bloated wreck as "elegant".  Good laughs are hard to come by.

Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 05:08:20 pm »

It's a discussion board - that happens.  Do you constrain yourself to only making positive comments about vehicles that you like?  If so, that's your choice - I won't pretend to care one way or the other.

The only thing sad is how fugly this vehicle is.  But the sadness is alleviated to some extent by someone - I'm not naming names - descrbing this bloated wreck as "elegant".  Good laughs are hard to come by.

Jaeger
Whatever Stevie Wonder.
I agree with Chris Chase

Lincoln has done a terrific job with the MKT’s styling, and that’s much of the battle that car companies face in developing an upscale vehicle. If you’re in the market for a large, luxurious crossover, this one should definitely be on your list.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 05:10:10 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 06:15:18 pm »

Jaeger
Whatever Stevie Wonder.
I agree with Chris Chase

Lincoln has done a terrific job with the MKT’s styling, and that’s much of the battle that car companies face in developing an upscale vehicle. If you’re in the market for a large, luxurious crossover, this one should definitely be on your list.

Agree with whoomever you choose and engage in an much childish name-calling as you need to make yourself feel better.

Jaeger

Anyone else hearing the them music from Jaws?  Man, that was one elegant shark, wasn't it?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 06:39:11 pm by Jaeger »

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 06:22:53 pm »
 :-*

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 06:30:57 pm »
I agree with Car and Driver’s characterization of the vehicle’s  “goofy proportions and polarizing snout”, not to mention its “boattail butt”.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/09q2/2010_lincoln_mkt_with_ecoboost-short_take_road_test

But TTAC’s second take is a little more accurate:

The Lincoln MKT is a Looney Tunes cartoon: based on previously made creations, packaged into something unique. While the animated series started from the Warner Brother’s impressive music library, the MKT comes from an old Volvo S80 platform, sharing a motor with the Mazda6. So both creations are downright looney. Which explains the MKT’s krill filtering grille: silly in pictures, insane in natural sunlight where it’s obvious that 40% of it’s toothy smile is blocked off by solid plastic paneling. Which probably says more about the current state of Lincoln better than anything else.

While the Lincoln MKT’s design is proportionally derivative and stylistically challenged, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Still, the MKT’s droopy butt sticks out like a sore thumb in any lighting condition outside of a PR-coordinated photo shoot: even the oversized, italicized “T” on the decklid badging reeks of branding desperation.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/review-lincoln-mkt-take-two/

And their first take spot on:

The MKT’s grill is so unrelentingly grotesque it’s easy to overlook the fact that the crossover’s hind quarters are equally—if less aggressively—hideous. For anyone who appreciates well-sculpted sheet metal and artful illumination, the MKT’s butt is an abomination. The enormous red strip bisecting the back end at nipple height is a distorted echo of an over-sized Ford Thunderbird logo pasted onto an homage to the Acura RL’s ungainly reverse snow plow motif. Adding insult to aesthetic injury, the MKT’s back-up lights are in exactly the wrong place (dead center).

But wait! There’s more! The rear’s glass-to-metal ratio and forward tilt suggests nothing so much as an oncoming Amtrak train. You can’t ask the MKT’s designers “what the hell were you thinking?” because, clearly, they weren’t. The MKT’s profile is blessedly bland, if you discount the 10-spoke 20″ EcoBling wagon wheels filling-up the arches and ruining the ride. We’ll get to that . . .
Based on its looks, the only logical market for Lincoln’s unfathomably ugly station wagon is someone driving a hearse.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/review-lincoln-mkt-ecoboost/

I guess a lot of people are “wrong” about this elegant vehicle.

Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2010, 06:42:25 pm »
Awwww, and I thought you didn't care? :love:

The Truth about Cars? Oh sure, THEY're objective with respect to Dearborn products. :rofl2:

Radical styling statement

Lincoln's now-signature double-wing chrome grille is used to good effect here. The bustle-back rear harkens to prewar American grand touring cars, and the full-width taillamp strip quickly identifies the car as a Lincoln. Whether you like the overall styling of the MKT (we do), it's nice that 1) it doesn't look even remotely like the Ford Flex; and 2) it looks completely different from all the other three-row crossover vehicles on the road.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/0905_2010_lincoln_mkt/index.html
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 07:18:06 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2010, 07:57:37 pm »
The Truth about Cars? Oh sure, THEY're objective with respect to Dearborn products. :rofl2:

Well, they liked the Fusion Sport quite well -as do I.  Ford CAN built a very attractive vehicle.  They can also build the automotive equivalent of the Elephant Man - as they have done with the MKT.

Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2010, 09:41:34 pm »
Elephant man? ::)

What was it you just said about childish name calling?

And you're still wrong. It's styling is typical for it's class. Big blocky body, big wheels, big grills etc.

You want pretty you're looking in the wrong class.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2010, 10:33:01 pm »
Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver

You said it, Sir Osis. They're ALL fugly. I have to agree with Jaeger, though - the MKT is the fugliest of them all by a country mile. Looks like a baleen whale with wheels to me.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2010, 10:40:25 pm »
Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver

You said it, Sir Osis. They're ALL fugly. I have to agree with Jaeger, though - the MKT is the fugliest of them all by a country mile. Looks like a baleen whale with wheels to me.

DON"T YOU START! ;D

Arguing about styling is always a hoot, but pointless. I honestly don't see how the MKT front end is any better or worse than the Q7 above for example.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2010, 11:12:51 pm »
I honestly don't see how the MKT front end is any better or worse than the Q7 above for example.

Agreed.
Not a class of vehicle that contains many beautiful designs, but the Lincoln is certainly not at the bottom of that group. Saw another one on the road, and it don't look too bad at all.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 06:12:21 am »
Elephant man? ::)

What was it you just said about childish name calling?

I was referring to the vehicle, not to you.  As you well know.

Jaeger

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2010, 07:47:10 am »
Even Acura designers would find the MKT fugly. That in itself says a lot!  :rofl2:

John MacDonald

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 08:26:18 am »
This vehicle's exterior is terrible, but no one is commenting on the interior and I have to say I actually find it very nice.  I would actually buy the Flex (same vehicle, different looks) before buying this as it is at least retro(ish) cool looking.  As for all this talk about speedo and what not, who in their right mind would be driving this vehicle over 200Kms/hr, you might as well kiss your ass good bye cause you'll probably lose control and die in a big fireball.  I'm just trying to understand why anyone would bye any Lincoln or Caddy for that matter.  You can get euro/asian products that are better, with better resale and reliability.  lastly if I was looking for an SUV that has 3rd row seats I would go for something like the Buick Enclave or the Hyundai Veracruz (which by the way has a 3rd row seat that grown men can fit in).  I will admitt the the Veracruz is under powered and a bit out dated looking but value for money it's one of the best.  As for the Enclave, I just find it's a very good looking vehicle compared to most 3rd row seating CUV's.