Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Lincoln MKT EcoBoost  (Read 19697 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2010 Lincoln MKT EcoBoost
« on: March 09, 2010, 04:06:14 am »

With an EcoBoost engine providing V8 power with V6 economy, the 2010 Lincoln MKT feels quick and has "agile handling that belies its heft," says Contributing Editor Chris Chase. "Most surprising about the MKT is its affinity for the twisties."

Read More...

Xpress

Re: Test Drive: 2010 Lincoln MKT EcoBoost
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 09:57:58 am »
The worst looking vehicle on the market today.

aknutson

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 10:57:34 am »
I love the new Lincoln looks - I think it's edgy, classy, and a lot better than the beek-nose new face to the Acura lineup. This vehicle makes much more sense for moving people than the outrageously proportioned cargo ship known as the Navigator. Now, how about a turbo I4 compact based on the Euro-spec Ford Kuga to compete with the SRX? Now we're talkin!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12420
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 11:08:09 am »

It's up there.  It has some real competition, but it is up there.  Woof.  Even worse in person than in the nausea-inducing photos.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Randy

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 11:24:41 am »
I don't understand the point of this vehicle. Besides being really ugly:

If you don't have 4 or more kids, why buy it?
You're hauling around a hefty 5000 lbs for nothing and making yourself look stupid in the eyes of your peers for polluting the environment.

If you did have that many kids, can you afford it?
The market of families that can afford to drop $55K-60K is woefully small. Even if I had that kind of cash (which I don't), I'd look at Audi's Q7 first.

What I really don't get is why people don't buy more wagons? You get the driving experience of a car, along with the fuel economy, all for less money than a comparably sized SUV or crossover.

Handling that belies its heft? I'd put any sport wagon up against this thing such as an A6 Avant or 5 Series Touring, heck even the ancient Saab 9-5 wagon could probably smoke this thing on a twisty road. It might handle well for 5000 lbs, but a wagon is 1000-1500 lbs less weight to haul around. That sounds a lot more tossable to me.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12420
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 11:41:59 am »
Handling that belies its heft? I'd put any sport wagon up against this thing such as an A6 Avant or 5 Series Touring, heck even the ancient Saab 9-5 wagon could probably smoke this thing on a twisty road. It might handle well for 5000 lbs, but a wagon is 1000-1500 lbs less weight to haul around. That sounds a lot more tossable to me.

I took "handling that belies its heft" to be a euphemism for "doesn't handle quite as much like a drunken hippo as you would have thought".

And even if its handling were superb by objective meaure, it would never pull enough G's to shake off its ugly.

Jaeger

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 12:37:22 pm »
If you did have that many kids, can you afford it?
The market of families that can afford to drop $55K-60K is woefully small. Even if I had that kind of cash (which I don't), I'd look at Audi's Q7 first.

Well to buy the Audi Q7 that is closest to the MKT V6 3.5 EcoBoost horsepower you would have to add an additional $21,850  :o for the Q7 4.2 V8, and with the Q7 you even get an addtional 343 lbs.  :rofl2:
Oh another + for the MKT V6 is that it does not require premium fuel whereas the Q7 requires the highend juice to go along with that premium price tag.

I agree with you on the wagon preference, too bad your neighbours to the south are not wagon friendly. But North America market does like it SUV/CUVs so I can't say Lincoln is foolish for playing in the segment.

Looks are subjective, and I can say I am not a fan of the new Lincoln face, which will hopefully change in the near future, but all the other bits IMO are a huge improvement and I'd say is more competitive with the range in this segment then the last few years offering were.

And I understand Lincoln might be announcing (maybe NYC Auto Show) the upcoming small Lincoln CUV based off the Kuga platform.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:43:13 pm by MKII »

aknutson

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 12:57:03 pm »
I don't understand the point of this vehicle. Besides being really ugly:

I think it's for retired people that saved smartly and have lots of friends. So coming into an era of baby-boomer retirement this might not be a bad idea. If you and your crew of 3 friends go golfing 4 or 5 times a week and need to carry all your bags, this might be the ride of choice.

I'm absolutely NOT in that category so I as well would prefer a hatch/wagon. I will say that the increased height from the boxy shape of these CUV's does provide an airy cabin space though, and with taller window glass, it just seems brighter and bigger. The thing I hate about them is that they all feel like they're going to topple over and they lumber around corners, where wagons/hatches keep the dynamics of a car. I would think this, like the Flex, draws a line down the middle.

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 01:04:24 pm »

Looks are indeed subjective.......There are worse looking faces and rear ends.   ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Charger_Guy

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 02:22:55 pm »
What's with Ford and their speedos?  First you get the SHO with a 220km/h speedo and now this with 200km/h.  Is this a Civic?

You have a capable engine so at least look the part of a performance vehicle and max out the speedo.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 02:26:30 pm »
What's with Ford and their speedos?  First you get the SHO with a 220km/h speedo and now this with 200km/h.  Is this a Civic?

You have a capable engine so at least look the part of a performance vehicle and max out the speedo.

What's the point when the vehicle is most likely electronically topped at 208km/h?

Charger_Guy

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 02:40:18 pm »

What's the point when the vehicle is most likely electronically topped at 208km/h?

The point is if you're shelling out $60K, you don't want your "performance" vehicle to have the top speed of an economy box.  Imagine an M5 with 500hp with a speedo that tops out at 240km/h.  How ridiculous would that be?

This brings me to my second point, why limit it to such a low "top" speed anyways?  

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 02:43:59 pm by Charger_Guy »

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 03:05:23 pm »

The point is if you're shelling out $60K, you don't want your "performance" vehicle to have the top speed of an economy box.  Imagine an M5 with 500hp with a speedo that tops out at 240km/h.  How ridiculous would that be?

This brings me to my second point, why limit it to such a low "top" speed anyways?  

Who cares?! If you're doing more than 240km/h on apublic road you're probably not watching the speedo. At least I hope you're not.

As for the whole why these things exist? Well not speaking to this vehicle in particular but lets say you have 2 kids (which I will shortly) and you have a mother-in-law you have to haul around with you. Well, you're not likely to fit 3 of them across the back seat of any sedan that I can think of with reasonable comfort (ie. drive for 4 hours or more) So that means a 3rd row. Nobody in their right mind will be caught dead in a minivan these days so voila!
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 05:38:34 pm »

Unless I'm wrong, but I don't think I am in this case, I believe every single vehicle sold in Canada has to be speed-limited to something like 208km/h. It doesn't matter if your odo shows 320km/h, your car is still limited to 208km/h.

Charger_Guy

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 06:13:40 pm »

Unless I'm wrong, but I don't think I am in this case, I believe every single vehicle sold in Canada has to be speed-limited to something like 208km/h. It doesn't matter if your odo shows 320km/h, your car is still limited to 208km/h.

SOB!! I just looked it up and you're right!!  Wow you learn something new every day.  I guess I never bothered going that fast in the ol' Charger to test it out.  Oh well, at least when I look at the Speedo it gives me the perception of being able to go faster...  :rofl2:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 06:39:41 pm »
 ::)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 07:13:10 pm »

SOB!! I just looked it up and you're right!!  Wow you learn something new every day.  I guess I never bothered going that fast in the ol' Charger to test it out.  Oh well, at least when I look at the Speedo it gives me the perception of being able to go faster...  :rofl2:

where did you look it up please? A link would be good as I can find no law in Canada for such a thing.  There is/was a private members bill which may have dies with prorogation.

I do not believe this has happened  yet as a law.   Many cars are limited to 208 km/h which is the HR tire limit, coincidentally or not I do not know.   

I remember when I bought my 330xi that was limited to 208 but a 5-er with the same  225 bhp engine was not.  My A4 had the limiter disabled when it was chipped.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 07:24:32 pm by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 08:56:08 pm »
I just thought it would be funny to stop by at Lincoln's, spend like 3 hours of their time, and then, just before signing on the dotted line, inquire if they insist on having that weird grille and if so, whether they can sweeten the deal with an unlimited supply of gravol. I'd like to see the look on their faces... Oh, wait, I actually have!  :rofl:

I see no point in this vehicle, unless it's used for pimping and getting the "crew" to and from work.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 10:42:16 pm »
The Ecoboost MKT is the same price range as the MDX. That's pretty damned good value, in a vehicle that's quieter, larger and quicker.

As far as looks, it's downright elegant compared to this:

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 01:00:56 am »
Unless Im wrong, but I don't think I am in this case, I believe every single vehicle sold in Canada has to be speed-limited to something like 208km/h. It doesn't matter if your odo shows 320km/h, your car is still limited to 208km/h.

There's no such law in Canada. Do you really think all those people walking into Porsche showrooms are plunking down $100,000+ for cars that are limited to 208 km/h?

Check out Porsche.ca and BMW.ca. You'll find many cars that are listed with top speeds well in excess of 208 km/h. Yes, many other cars are limited to lower speeds, but that's just a tire speed-rating thing, like tpl said.