Author Topic: Steering You Right: Turning them in  (Read 3841 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Steering You Right: Turning them in
« on: March 08, 2010, 04:04:35 am »
Lawyer Jordan Charness worries when his teenage children drive, but he felt a little better when his kids did not regret reporting a drunken driver to the police who later turned out to be one of their friends.
Read More...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Steering You Right: Turning them in
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 07:55:23 am »
Good on those kids.

I wonder, seriously, what this will do for their popularity among their peer group at school.  When I was at high school equivalent, different century, different country one would certainly not dreamed of snitching on ones school mates.

If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country.
E. M. Forster

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 07:58:56 am by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 09:07:33 am »
..Oy Teepl...when ya opening the skool pub taday ???............we're  parched.......... ;)..did ya ENJOY Mr Rogers last nite  !!!!!! >:(
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 09:09:27 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

BarryM

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 01:37:43 pm »
..Oy Teepl...when ya opening the skool pub taday ???............we're  parched.......... ;)..did ya ENJOY Mr Rogers last nite  !!!!!! >:(
Seriously... what mental disorder do you have? You aren't right in the head. At all.

Matt

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 02:01:28 pm »
Good on those kids.

I wonder, seriously, what this will do for their popularity among their peer group at school.  When I was at high school equivalent, different century, different country one would certainly not dreamed of snitching on ones school mates.

If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country.
E. M. Forster

Fortunately drunk driving is less socially acceptable.
It is quite common to take keys or dissuade someone from driving drunk, even if you need to use some force to do so.
Actually calling the police would be frowned upon in most of my circles.

When I went to school you didn't lose popularity points for "talking" to someone who thought it was a good idea to slap around his girlfriend.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 03:18:26 pm »
I took a zero tolerance stand against drinking and driving when I was in high school, and it never cost me any friends.  One instance my bud was picking me up, and showed up in the bag.  I dragged him out of the car, kicked his ass for a while, and then called the cops on him.

This isn't calling the cops 'cause your friend is doing 55 in a 50 zone.  This is serious :censor: that kills a lot of people.  Those are good kids.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 03:21:49 pm »
When I went to school you didn't lose popularity points for "talking" to someone who thought it was a good idea to slap around his girlfriend.

Really?  Ouch.  We had "blanket parties" for dudes that laid hands on their girls.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=blanket%20party  (definition 2, 3... for those that don't know what it is)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 03:56:48 pm »
I took a zero tolerance stand against drinking and driving when I was in high school, and it never cost me any friends.  One instance my bud was picking me up, and showed up in the bag.  I dragged him out of the car, kicked his ass for a while, and then called the cops on him.

This isn't calling the cops 'cause your friend is doing 55 in a 50 zone.  This is serious :censor: that kills a lot of people.  Those are good kids.

When I was at "high school"  two kids had access to cars sometimes but generally did not drive to school as it just wasn't something that was done.  No parking for one! 

We, many of us, used to go to the pub and have a beer at lunchtime. Illegal but accepted but of course we didn't drive.  We ( UK in the early '60s) just didn't have this dumb puritan attitude to drinking that is prevalent in NA.   I gather that the incidence of drinking and the attitudes are different now over there.