Author Topic: Inside Story: 2010 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - First Look  (Read 6338 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Inside Story: 2010 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - First Look
« on: March 04, 2010, 04:01:46 am »

This week, Michael Clark looks at the Toyota 4Runner, but with a twist: he's in Colorado, and it's a U.S. version. He goes above and beyond to provide an overall look, and also point out the differences south of the border.

Read More...

Roy

Re: Inside Story: 2010 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - First Look
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 09:48:44 am »
Like the truck hate the pricing.  Why does the cargo floor have to be so high?  This is common in many CUV/SUV which really impedes on usable cargo area.  The sliding floor is neat but wish it was lower.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 10:02:23 am »
In a perfect world, I would opt for a stripped steel-wheeled four-banger stickshift 4×4, hint-hint.

So would I! My uncle ran his ~1990 4-cylinder 4-Runner up to about 400,000km before he got rid of it.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 11:58:00 am »
Aside from some questionable styling (front signal lights look like a bug-eye goldfish) and overwraught cheap silver painted interior the real problem I have is the model lineup.

Third row seat only available in the limited. The 20" tires on the limited don't look right, too tall and skinny.

I would take a trail with the 3rd row seat. Looks like a US model for me.

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 01:59:05 pm »
I do like the look of the 4Runner....a more aggressive one at that.
Make mine with the Trail option and color me gone.   ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 02:03:05 pm »
Like the truck hate the pricing.  Why does the cargo floor have to be so high?  This is common in many CUV/SUV which really impedes on usable cargo area.  The sliding floor is neat but wish it was lower.

The 4Runner is a real truck, with body-on-frame construction and a live axle in the rear. It's going to have a higher load floor - there's no way around it.

If you want something lower, then get a Highlander.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 04:23:36 pm »
I wonder how many want the third row seat here. Maybe it should be made a stand alone item at all levels. I am not a customer here but in my van I had to take the third row seat in order to get the tow package. The seat has never been used and I am stymied from having a neat storage bin. I suppose I could take it out but then I have to store it somewhere. It folds into the floor but it is still weight that has to be hauled around.

jacko

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 11:28:04 pm »
dont understand why US gets a 2wd version, but not canada.
not everyone or every corner of canada gets massive amount of snow that every single canadian need a 4wd!  :banghead:

just like the rav4, it only took toyota ohhhh over 10yrs to realize there's a market for the 2wd as well. they actually followed the footsteps of the current generation CRV. if honda didn't bring in a 2wd model, toyota would've been still selling 4wd rav4's.  ::)

new 4runner is beautiful, but the price is ugly.

Scott Thomas

Unknown Dangers
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 01:47:06 am »
All Car Companies should have came forward with a full disclosures of what car were dangerous. Instead of waiting for a huge media blitz and tons of public pressure. I never seen so many car companies GM - NISSAN - TOYOTA - HYUNDAI  having recalls all at the same time. I had no idea my car was affected until I looked on
carpedalrecall.com  and found I had a bad Anti Lock control unit on my 2008 Pontiac G8 , my co workers Ford Truck had a recall also. So be careful

Wilson

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 07:07:21 am »
hmmm...almost $37,000 and they can't even finish the underside of the hood?  No thanks.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 07:59:15 am »
Gosh...I thought that I was the only one who proposed that 4WD/AWD was not required to go through muddy puddles.

aknutson

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 12:44:19 pm »
Gosh...I thought that I was the only one who proposed that 4WD/AWD was not required to go through muddy puddles.

To be fair, the 4Runner is in a bit of a different league than most of these car-based CUV's that get an AWD system thrown in for marketing purposes. This truck built its reputation for being pretty much unstoppable off-road, and while I think (as the author stated) an I4/4x4/stick combo should be an entry level model, the true four-wheel-drive system does seem to suit this vehicle. Those more interested in family transport would be happier with a Highlander, for which FWD makes more sense.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 01:15:22 pm »

To be fair, the 4Runner is in a bit of a different league than most of these car-based CUV's that get an AWD system thrown in for marketing purposes. This truck built its reputation for being pretty much unstoppable off-road, and while I think (as the author stated) an I4/4x4/stick combo should be an entry level model, the true four-wheel-drive system does seem to suit this vehicle. Those more interested in family transport would be happier with a Highlander, for which FWD makes more sense.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you can get a FWD Highlander in Canada any more??
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

aknutson

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 04:20:07 pm »

I may be wrong, but I don't think you can get a FWD Highlander in Canada any more??

Well, if they have neglected their Toyota.ca website you could be correct, but when I pulled it up they still offer a base FWD/I4 combo that is a cool $4500 cheaper than the V6/AWD entry model at just over $33K. To be honest, you get a lot more value with a Sienna than you do with a Highlander, but now we're getting WAY off track!

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 04:32:54 pm »
Sorry, it appears that the FWD HL is still available on the Canadian website. I was incorrect. I though for sure it was gone. But, whatever, appears to still be there.  :-[

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 08:43:13 pm »
Sorry, it appears that the FWD HL is still available on the Canadian website. I was incorrect. I though for sure it was gone. But, whatever, appears to still be there.  :-[
I think they just bought it back this year

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 04:40:14 pm »
Had a good look at the new Runner at the auto show. What a ugly beast. To me it looks all wrong.