Author Topic: 2010 Mini 50 Camden Cooper S; Day 1  (Read 17300 times)

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Mini 50 Camden Cooper S; Day 1
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 08:25:16 am »
Very happy with my '09 S hardtop. Sure, the interior is a bit of a jumble but it works, the seats are comfortable and it drives like a dream. Plus, with the back seats down it'll hold everything we need for a week at the cottage and get under 6 L/100 km on the trip. The base suspension and 16" tires are the way to go if you're more of a cruiser than a racer (the sport suspension and 17" tires firm things up noticeably).

Offline dutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 GMC Acadia, 2015 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 10:29:13 am »
I know they are expensive, but they seem to be worth it! My wife's 2004 Mini was wonderfull to drive, no squeeks or rattles and all around a terrific car. Sad to say we sold it when baby #2 came along, but once she is out of the child seats we will pick up another one. Not too many cars can compare to a Mini for fun to drive, quality interiors and ofcourse it looks good too.

aknutson

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 11:26:14 am »
A novel little car, but I'd be hard pressed to pick one over an MX-5 for sheer joy of driving...and the Mazda has normal gauges.

carsncars

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 12:04:30 pm »
A novel little car, but I'd be hard pressed to pick one over an MX-5 for sheer joy of driving...and the Mazda has normal gauges.

True, but the MINI has rear seats (albeit only for occasional use) and a hatch (it can carry a decent amount, in fact).

James... unfortunately there's no panic option and no option for the car to honk/chirp on lock/unlock. It'll only do that if equipped with the alarm system. Don't ask me why BMW went this way. :P

Yeah, some days I find myself thinking that I wish it soaked up potholes better, or that it could seat 4 comfortably, or that it was less expensive... but then you hit an entertaining piece of road, and you realize that this car is more than the sum of its parts. It's small and expensive, and thus will never have truly mainstream appeal (perhaps the Countryman will change that a bit), but for those who see its appeal it's worth every penny. ;D

Johnson

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 12:57:36 pm »
The interior is a little bit cartoony(retro), but build quality is solid, I have had my 2007 Cooper S for 3 years, no squeaks or whatsoever.  

If you find the steering to loose and not connected, turning on the sport button might help.  It firms up the steering and increase the throttle response.  I agree it isn't the most connected steering (I had a 2003 MCS and that was CONNECTED), but if you change to sport tires, it does make it a lil better.

I agree the Lotus might give more go-cart feel than the MINI, but at almost double the MSRP, you cannot compare the two.  Under $35000ish, you can't really find a NEW car with the power and build quality of the MINI Cooper S.  The only competition are the Golf GTI and ..... Civic SI?  Correct me if I am wrong though.  :)

MX5: It's a nice car, but they are apple to orange.  Mini wins with more seats and space.  MX5 with open air goodness. 

;DHere's the priceless appeal of the MINI, on numerous occasion Kids scream "MINIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII' when they saw my car driving by, its nothing special but it puts a smile on your face.  To get this kind of appeal to even kids, you might have to go up to the Ferrari bracket.  (oh maybe the beetle, but that's a debate for another day. :) )
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 01:04:53 pm by Johnson »

aknutson

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 01:19:38 pm »

True, but the MINI has rear seats (albeit only for occasional use) and a hatch (it can carry a decent amount, in fact).

James... unfortunately there's no panic option and no option for the car to honk/chirp on lock/unlock. It'll only do that if equipped with the alarm system. Don't ask me why BMW went this way. :P

Yeah, some days I find myself thinking that I wish it soaked up potholes better, or that it could seat 4 comfortably, or that it was less expensive... but then you hit an entertaining piece of road, and you realize that this car is more than the sum of its parts. It's small and expensive, and thus will never have truly mainstream appeal (perhaps the Countryman will change that a bit), but for those who see its appeal it's worth every penny. ;D

I'd agree with that wholeheartedly. If any car sold today were to become a classic (under $75K) it would be the Mini.

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2010, 01:40:30 pm »
;DHere's the priceless appeal of the MINI, on numerous occasion Kids scream "MINIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII' when they saw my car driving by, its nothing special but it puts a smile on your face.  To get this kind of appeal to even kids, you might have to go up to the Ferrari bracket.  (oh maybe the beetle, but that's a debate for another day. :) )

Ha ha, I can relate to this also. My Cooper S is a "bumblebee" (yellow w/black roof) and even here in a city with a Mini dealership it gets attention (I believe it's the only one this colour in the area). Out in the country, driving through a small town, on numerous occasions I've seen people grab someone else and point. Anonymous it ain't.

I think a big part of the attraction, for those of us who have one, is that like the Miata it's a car that's built for those who want to feel connected to the driving experience. A lot of vehicles these days are designed to insulate the driver from driving. With a Mini you feel involved. From the feel of the shifter to the burble in the exhaust note, these are things that both the Mini and Miata got right.

Johnson

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2010, 02:17:18 pm »
nice bumblebee Mini~ hehe.

Some cars just bring emotions to the driver and others.
I saw a transformer's Bumblebee on the road a couple weeks back with a license plate that says BUMBLBEE.  I was amazed by that too. 

I agree a lot of cars these days are to provide comfort rather than connectibility.  Take most premium brands, they are so quiet and easy to drive.  It is great though that there are different brands and choices for us, so I can pick my Mini, and others can pick their Lexus.  Let's just all get along :).  To me, there is no need to dislike other brands (fanboysism).  Some day I would like a Lexus or some sort of quiet luxury car. 

Offline ThisWas

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 03:07:54 pm »
James wrote: "if you look at purely the specifications and price the Mini does not make much sense, especially in a country that’s next to a country that is in love with excess."

I've got maps spread out on my desk.  What country could James be referring to?  Are Greenlanders in love with excess?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 03:11:33 pm »
:rofl:

carsncars

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 04:40:20 pm »
I've just gotta say... I love the rims and paint job on the Camden. :)

Some don't like the rims but I think they look awesome.

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 05:05:48 pm »
To each their own! :) I saw this car in person at the auto show and it didn't do it for me - the wheels are weird to my eye, the paint colour is a bit bland and the black headlight housings look odd. The Mayfair edition in Hot Chocolate that was sitting nearby looked more distinctive. But that's me - much of the fun of getting a Mini is choosing the colour combo and options you want.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 09:46:08 pm »
To each their own! :) I saw this car in person at the auto show and it didn't do it for me - the wheels are weird to my eye, the paint colour is a bit bland and the black headlight housings look odd. The Mayfair edition in Hot Chocolate that was sitting nearby looked more distinctive. But that's me - much of the fun of getting a Mini is choosing the colour combo and options you want.

Exactly!...The great thing about Mini's is that they are a bit of a throw back to the days when you ordered a car and had about 3 pages of options to choose from. With Mini you can really personalize one to suit your own tastes.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Nuno

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2010, 11:18:03 am »
I took the Mini challenge a few years ago at Downsview Park and I wasn't that impressed with the Mini Clubman's that they had us driving that day, however they did have a Mazda3 GT that handled well even trough some of the bad bumps on the course. I haven't been happy with the new Mini's since they were introduced and this Mini50 doesn't do anything to change that I would rather drive a Mini30.

Laterz :)

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2010, 01:28:36 pm »
The Camden seems a bit much, but I wouldn't turn down a Cooper S. Or a John Works Cooper! :drool:

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2010, 05:36:53 pm »
+10 and sunny here all weekend. Mini's are even more fun when the top comes off! ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2010, 06:39:46 pm »
 ::)  that's just GOOFY talk.................... :D...... :o 36DD
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 06:42:04 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2010, 07:32:59 pm »
+10 and sunny here all weekend. Mini's are even more fun when the top comes off! ;D
I agree. 9 degrees and sunny. My car came out of hibernation this weekend. You do get a lot of weird looks though. ;D
There's nothing like a ragtop.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2010, 07:41:29 pm »
Alright, I'll bite- WTF is Camden?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...