Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Hyundai Sonata  (Read 63827 times)

John MacDonald

Re: First Drive: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
« Reply #140 on: March 05, 2010, 03:19:16 pm »
Have we yet heard what the HP of the turbo version will be?
When will the car be released?
I hear it will come out in the fall and have HP rating in the 250-270 range, torque will probably be about the same as HP, maybe a bit more.  So this vehicle will be able to keep up with any V6 midsize cars out there.

Now take that and put into the Genesis Coupe; it probably is the same 2.0L engine + GDI  :skid:

Not sure if it will be GDI as it runs a bit hotter than regular engines.  Add in the Turbo and it might run too hot.  It is the same engine out of the Genesis coupe, also the same out of the Lancer Rallyart, and also the Dodge SRT4.  So it would only take minor tweaks to give it 250HP, heck put premium in the Genesis coupe and it gets also 10 more horse power.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #141 on: March 05, 2010, 03:57:58 pm »
I hear it will come out in the fall and have HP rating in the 250-270 range, torque will probably be about the same as HP, maybe a bit more.  So this vehicle will be able to keep up with any V6 midsize cars out there.

Now take that and put into the Genesis Coupe; it probably is the same 2.0L engine + GDI  :skid:

Not sure if it will be GDI as it runs a bit hotter than regular engines.  Add in the Turbo and it might run too hot.  It is the same engine out of the Genesis coupe, also the same out of the Lancer Rallyart, and also the Dodge SRT4.  So it would only take minor tweaks to give it 250HP, heck put premium in the Genesis coupe and it gets also 10 more horse power.

So you're saying the new "world" 2.0 I4 in the Sonata may not need (or won't use) GDI to output 250HP, but will the G. Coupe with 210HP not seem weak when a family sedan makes faster 0-60? Do you think it calls for some changes for the Geneses coupe, 2011 MY maybe?  ;)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

John MacDonald

« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2010, 07:57:24 am »

So you're saying the new "world" 2.0 I4 in the Sonata may not need (or won't use) GDI to output 250HP, but will the G. Coupe with 210HP not seem weak when a family sedan makes faster 0-60? Do you think it calls for some changes for the Geneses coupe, 2011 MY maybe?  ;)

All I know is that the 2.0 I4 Turbo that will make it's way into the Sonata will probably not have the GDI as it's not in the Genesis, Lancer, or SRT4.  The main reason for GDI is fuel efficiency and why would they make the higher model more fuel efficient than the base model?  I can think of only one vehicle(s) that the upgraded engine gets better fuel mileage than the base model, and that's the Jetta/Rabbit/GTI, where the 2.0T gets better mileage than the 2.5 engine.  I do think that if they give the 2.0T out of the Genesis a boost and put it into the Sonata then they should do the same boost in the Genesis.  Not only because of the Sonata getting more power but because the Genesis competition is getting power upgrades.  One of the main competitors for the Genesis is the Mustang and that new stang will be getting over 300HP from their base model and over 400 HP with the GT.  I think if Hyundai could upgrade the 2.0T to 260HP for both the Genesis and Sonata, and then tweak the 3.8L V6 to give another 30HP then they can stay competitive.  Maybe they should go the GDI route in the 3.8L V6 to get more power and better fuel efficiency, oh and put that engine in the Genesis sedan and Veracruz.

FYI - On Saturday I tried the new Sonata to have a real opinion on the vehicle.  The model I tried was red with the beige interior, oh and was the middle range (GLS I think it's called).  So it had alloys, auto trans, and sun roof.  Someone on here was wondering if the beige was going to be two toned and I can report that it will indeed be two tone and a very attractive two tone.  I think I like the two tone VW Passat CC beige better but it is a very good interior color combo.  I would like to say that I'm not a fan of beige interior so it would not be my choice by as beige interiors go it is one of the best, another vehicle that we test drove (not this past weekend but within the last 6 months) was the Nissan Maxima and it had a beige interior and it was a terrible color. 

Now onto more important things.  The engine/transmission - let me first say that me and my wife would never consider a 4 cylinder without it being either turbo charged or super charged (we like to have more performance out of our vehicle), that being said we were both impressed by the engine.  I can see why some might say it's harsh(ish) engine but we only found that the case when driving at low speeds (under 40km/hr) and driving leisurely.  We do the same route for all our test drives and it includes a section of city driving, highway driving, and a stretch of secondary roads that are rough (lots of heaves, bumps, and pot holes), the route takes about 20 minutes to complete.  We do two performance tests to simulate merging (30-90km/hr) and passing (80-120km/hr), for both I always "put the pedal to the metal" so I get the full attention of the trany and engine.  The merging performance was surprising as we both expected a 4 cylinder performance but got a more V6 like performance.  I won't say that it's a full fledge V6 feeling but I would say it's about as close as you could ever get with a non turbo 4 cylinder.  As for the passing test it also surprised pulling very hard and quickly up to 100 km then tappering off for a second before getting a second wind and pulling it up to 120km with ease.  Cruising at 115km/hr it was very quite and you could not say it was a 4 cylinder or V6.  So that low end harsh(ish) that others have noted is not present at highway speeds or really any speed after 50Km. 

The interior is very good.  Not sure why others complained about the instrument cluster (binocular like), I thought it was very good and not distracting at all.  It had a 3D type of feel to it and the colors (blues) are high end feeling.  I wish our new Santa Fe had this interior (we pick it up in 12 days).  There was good room in the front and back.  I always sit in the back during the rough section to get a feeling of the size back there and get to hear any noise from the back you might miss if you are only in the front.  I'm a true 6'2 guy and am built like a hockey player (not some skinny dude) so I'll give you my impressions of the back.  Getting into the back seat I had to dip my head a bit more than some of the other sedans we've tried because of the sloping roof line.  I put the front seat all the way back and get into the back and my knees just touched the back of the seat (so would not be a problem as someone my size sat in the front and the back the guy in the front could move the seat forward an inch or two and still have plenty of room), now the head room I will say is a bit lacking compared to other (non sloping) sedans.  My head was not touching but there was only about 2 inches between me and the roof and going over that bumpy road I did feel my hair and head touch a couple of times.  But really how often would you put a 6'2 man in the back seat anyway.  The trunk was big but not big enough for me to say it was any better or worse than other sedans.  The seats in both the front and back were all very good and comfortable.  The interior is very quite but probably not the quitest of all midsize sedans, I found the VW Passat CC quiter.  Over rough surfaces it is more than adequate and handles very well for a midsize sedan.  The stereo is good but not anything better than competition, again the VW Passat CC has a better standard stereo.  Fuel consumption was very good for the trip considering we drove it harder than any normal person would drive the vehicle, also have to consider it being a new vehicle and therefore fuel consumption will improve after the first 10,000 or so kms. 

The average for the trip was 8.3L/100km and I think that's pretty good considering the performance tests.  Compared to the combined stated on hyundai website of 7.7 it came pretty close and would be closer without the performance tests. 

Overall I think Hyundai has a true winner in this vehicle, especially when they come out with the other two engines.  It wouldn't be the vehicle we would choose (standard engine, maybe the 2.0T will have enough performance) as we like more performance out of our vehicles, but if we were shopping for a fuel efficient 4 cylinder mid size vehicle this would be the car I would choose no doubt.  So for anyone who is in that boat, and even if you aren't, take one out and I'm sure you will leave impressed.

I hope this is easier for you to read. 

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2010, 08:49:15 am »
Nice to get some hands-on feedback on the vehicle - thanks for that.  :)

But next time, would you PLEASE hit the freakin' RETURN KEY a few times to break up that GIGANTIC BLOCK OF SOLID TEXT??

Thanks,

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2010, 08:58:09 am »
The craving for HP would make a little sense if the speed limits were to be dropped completely. Since that is never going to happen for obvious reasons....where is this going. 150 to 200 hp is more than enough for any highway driven car and will easilly get you over the posted limits...so whats the point...street racing?
Lets have less but more conserving horses and higher highway speed limits that more reflect the actual trafic speeds that one experiences today.

110 kph highway speed could be adopted right across the country instead of just a few provinces that is the case now.

The standard Sonata is desireable enough as it is. Since the Accent and Elantra are more in my preferred size bracket; I look forward to seeing the latest of those models. I would have thought that the Elantra is the right size for a sporty package which with the right underpinings could put a dent in the popularity of such VW products.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 09:30:53 am by Rupert »

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-1
  • Can party with the best.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mercedes-Benz C-350
« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2010, 09:30:36 am »
Someone on here was wondering if the beige was going to be two toned and I can report that it will indeed be two tone and a very attractive two tone.
That would have been me.  That's good to know.  Too much beige is, well, too much beige.  John thanks for the report but it's very hard to read.  May I suggest you edit with a few paragraphs?  Thanks.
Dopelar Effect - "The tendency of stupid people to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly."

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2010, 09:38:51 am »
I wish people stopped comparing the Sonata to the Passat CC... the later is like $10k more! Of course it'll be quieter, nicer inside, etc, etc. Other than slope of roof, they don't have much in common.

I realize it's a huge compliment for the Sonata to be constantly compared to the CC, but it's also not really fair when most of those comparisons end up with "well the Sonata is nice, but not as nice as the CC". Well, of course.

Let's compare the Sonata with its actual competitors, Accord, Mazda6, Camry, Fusion.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2010, 12:08:44 pm »
I wish people stopped comparing the Sonata to the Passat CC... the later is like $10k more! Of course it'll be quieter, nicer inside, etc, etc. Other than slope of roof, they don't have much in common.

I realize it's a huge compliment for the Sonata to be constantly compared to the CC, but it's also not really fair when most of those comparisons end up with "well the Sonata is nice, but not as nice as the CC". Well, of course.

Let's compare the Sonata with its actual competitors, Accord, Mazda6, Camry, Fusion.

Just because you wouldn't cross-shop them doesn't mean a lot of others wouldn't.  I suspect a lot of people who are attracted to the CC's styling might give an upper-trim-level Sonata a look.  And why not?  Both are mid-size, stylish, 4-cyl sedans.  Looks like a Limited model is getting pretty close to $30k on the Sonata and that's without the turbo.  The CC starts at $33k.  Certainly not $10k difference. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

John MacDonald

« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2010, 12:44:19 pm »

When I compare the Sonata to the CC I do it with regards to interior and exterior styling not engine performance (the CC has a turbo and the Sonata doesn't) and price.  Obviously the CC is more expensive and is somewhat a luxury vehicle and therefore might not be what a lot of people cross shop.  Overall I like the CC better than the Sonata but when you factor in price the Sonata is a lot better car.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 08, 2010, 01:02:00 pm »

Just because you wouldn't cross-shop them doesn't mean a lot of others wouldn't.  I suspect a lot of people who are attracted to the CC's styling might give an upper-trim-level Sonata a look.  And why not?  Both are mid-size, stylish, 4-cyl sedans.  Looks like a Limited model is getting pretty close to $30k on the Sonata and that's without the turbo.  The CC starts at $33k.  Certainly not $10k difference. 

Sonata starts at $24k, the CC at $33k. Sure, you can add a bunch of options on the Sonata, but you also can on the CC.

My point is that you can't expect a $24k vehicle to offer the exact same level of material quality than a $33k vehicle. That's all.

Like I said, it's very flattering for a mainstream bread-n-butter vehicle like the Sonata to be compared to the CC constantly... but I just think it's a tad unfair for the Sonata when people say it comes up short against the CC.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2010, 02:54:17 pm »
I wish people stopped comparing the Sonata to the Passat CC... 

Then Hyundai shouldn't have tried to make it look like the Passat CC.  I see that comparison coming up a lot.  Not just on-line, but in early reviews as well.  Overall it's good for Hyundai to be compared against such competition.  Try not to see everything as a veiled criticism of your favourite brand.

Jaeger

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2010, 03:52:05 pm »
When I compare the Sonata to the CC I do it with regards to interior and exterior styling not engine performance (the CC has a turbo and the Sonata doesn't) and price.  Obviously the CC is more expensive and is somewhat a luxury vehicle and therefore might not be what a lot of people cross shop.  Overall I like the CC better than the Sonata but when you factor in price the Sonata is a lot better car.
[/quote]

Did you do the back seat test on the CC as well? I'd expect headroom to be much tighter based on recent reviews
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 08, 2010, 04:55:40 pm »
I haven't actually laid eyes on one yet, but I think Hyundai has a winner on it's hands with the 2011 Sonata. I'm going down to the dealer lot right now for a closer look.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Spudislander

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2010, 10:15:46 pm »
In my opinion, the car is just plain ugly!

John MacDonald

« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2010, 07:00:14 am »

Did you do the back seat test on the CC as well? I'd expect headroom to be much tighter based on recent reviews
[/quote]
Of course I checked out the back seat.  I do the same thing on every test drive to get the best comparison between products.  There's more room in the back of the Sonata, but if I recall correctly (I test drove it back in July) the head room in the back was about the same if not better.  I think they have their back seats a bit lower to give more head room.  I will say I like the back seat of the CC better just because it doesn't pretend to offer a 3rd seat in the middle, that's just a styling thing.

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2010, 08:11:45 am »
I like the back seat of the CC better just because it doesn't pretend to offer a 3rd seat in the middle, that's just a styling thing.
When I sat in a CC I thought that was a great step in the right direction.  2.5 rear seats has always seemed like a poor idea to me.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2010, 08:29:37 am »
I like the back seat of the CC better just because it doesn't pretend to offer a 3rd seat in the middle, that's just a styling thing.
When I sat in a CC I thought that was a great step in the right direction.  2.5 rear seats has always seemed like a poor idea to me.

Why? Having 5 seat belts can be useful for short trips. I've had 5 people in my little Accent a couple of times, and 4 people a handful of times. If 5 adults fit in the Accent for short trips, I'm sure it'd be okay in a Sonata or Passat...  ::)

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 09, 2010, 09:05:29 am »

Why? Having 5 seat belts can be useful for short trips. I've had 5 people in my little Accent a couple of times, and 4 people a handful of times. If 5 adults fit in the Accent for short trips, I'm sure it'd be okay in a Sonata or Passat...  ::)

It's just me.  Why don't we go back to bench front seats then?  Then we can carry 6 people in a pinch.  Where does it end?  I've never had to carry 5 people in 48 years of driving.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #158 on: March 09, 2010, 09:08:39 am »
 ??? ::) add the one   carry the two...... 5 people in 48 years!!!!........that's ONE hot CHICK every 10 YEARS...yer slippin' dude..................... :P............get "contacts" ;)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 09, 2010, 09:19:06 am »
It's just me.  Why don't we go back to bench front seats then?  Then we can carry 6 people in a pinch.  Where does it end?  I've never had to carry 5 people in 48 years of driving.

I think someone needs more friends! ;)