Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Hyundai Sonata  (Read 63840 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: First Drive: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2010, 08:52:30 pm »

Just because some people on the internet are praising the new Sonata, does not mean the market will be receptive to it.

[pantomime voice]

OH YES IT DOES!

[/pantomime voice]

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2010, 09:10:06 pm »
The Camry and Fusion are both decent-looking sedans,but the Fusion's big, brassy Gillete Mach 3 grille is anything but subtle, and neither vehicle would I describe as elegant - at least not when a Passat CC rolls by.  And as for them "looking like no other sedan"?  Dude, please.

Why not just leave it at you like what you like.  You don't like the look of the new Sonata?  That's more than okay by them, I'm sure.  But if you are holding up the Camry and Fusion as watershed examples of the height of sedan design, you'd better resign yourself to the fact that not everyone is going to see the automotive landscape in your very particular way.

Jaeger

Likewise, people also need to accept the fact that not everyone thinks the Camry is bland or bloated. The Camry is a very popular car, and I'm sure part of the reason for that is elegant, unoffensive styling.

Passat CC is more flashy than elegant, but we can agree to disagree. Also Passat CC competes more in the "upscale sedan/full size sedan" class, than the midsize sedan class.

"Dude, please"? So tell me, what cars actually DO look like a Camry or a Fusion (excluding the new Sonata)? I'm really curious to hear exactly what cars the Camry and Fusion look similar to.

As for "watershed examples of the height of sedan design", don't put words into my mouth. Stick to what I actually wrote, not what you think I wrote.

The midsize sedan segment is highly receptive to subtle, inoffensive, and elegant designs. It has been like that for a long time. There are objective reasons why I feel the Camry and Fusion fit this description. Strong sales for both the Camry and Fusion also reflect this.

Further, the midsize sedan segment has not been receptive to awkward, overly flashy, gimmicky, or radical designs. Perfect example, 1996 Ford Taurus, otherwise known as "the oval". Again, the market has been like this for a long time.

Just because some people on the internet are praising the new Sonata, does not mean the market will be receptive to it. Time will tell how the market reacts.

I think half of Camry sales come from reputation and brand loyalty.  Not from attractive or non-offensive designs or it's performance.  Also the Passat CC is only a 4 passenger car.  I sat in one at the T.O auto show and in the back there's a built in, centre console.  That and my head was brushing against the rear window because of that sloping design.

Factual

« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2010, 09:28:20 pm »
Again, I will point to the example of the 3rd-generation 1996 Ford Taurus.

The 2nd-generation Ford Taurus had a good reputation and strong brand loyalty at the time. Then the radically-styled 1996 3rd-generation came along, and it alienated a lot of Ford buyers. Taurus reputation and brand loyalty decreased, because many loyal Taurus buyers were turned off by the car's controversial and arguably offensive styling.

Inoffensive designs matter a lot in the midsize sedan segment.

Part of having an inoffensive design means having a subtle design with a little bit of elegance.

If the Camry had a controversial or offensive design, then I guarantee you it wouldn't be selling as well, and it's reputation and brand loyalty would be negatively affected.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2010, 10:00:19 pm »
If the Camry had a controversial or offensive design, then I guarantee you it wouldn't be selling as well, and it's reputation and brand loyalty would be negatively affected.

Factual,do you remember the commercials when the redesigned Camry came out??

Husband pulls up in bright red Camry. Wife accuses him of cheating on him and points out a lot of men still want to "get with this" pointing at her body.

Husband: "But honey, it's a Camry"
     Wife: "That?" (with an incredulous look)

The redesigned Camry was most definitely controversial (and flashy by Camry standards) when it came out. Yet it sold very well.

Acura TL owners liked the simple elegant lines of their cars. Many are completely turned off by the new one no matter how good it objectively is. Sales dropped.

My 09 Sonata has clean, elegant lines according to reviewers who like that stuff. For those who like more flash, the lines on my car are just plain Boring...(yawn).

We simply mirror our preferences and I for one will take the flash of the new model when the time comes
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2010, 06:23:34 am »
I think Factual is possessed of some mild delusion of being the arbiter of sound automotive design.  Or else he/she is simply confusing his/her personal preferences with hard and fast rules of general application.  The irony is that he dismisses the fairly widespread praise heaped upon the Sonata in this thread as a meaningless predictor of future sales success, yet he somehow holds his personal dislike of the design as meaningful.  Whatever.  I somehow think Hyundai will just fine with this vehicle. 

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2010, 06:43:55 am »
In my opinion the Camry and Fusion both achieve that. There is a very thin line between "bland" and subtle/elegant. People like to call VWs "subtle" and "elegant" yet the Camry is called both "bloated" and "bland" (which is an amusing contradiction, as a car cannot be BOTH bloated *and* bland, it's either one or the other) due to people jumping on the anti-Toyota bandwagon.

While to some a car might be "bland", that same car to others is going to look subtle/elegant.

The Fusion, like the Camry looks like no other sedan, and it has clean simple lines along with short front and rear overhangs.

The Camry and Fusion are both decent-looking sedans,but the Fusion's big, brassy Gillete Mach 3 grille is anything but subtle, and neither vehicle would I describe as elegant - at least not when a Passat CC rolls by.  And as for them "looking like no other sedan"?  Dude, please.

Why not just leave it at you like what you like.  You don't like the look of the new Sonata?  That's more than okay by them, I'm sure.  But if you are holding up the Camry and Fusion as watershed examples of the height of sedan design, you'd better resign yourself to the fact that not everyone is going to see the automotive landscape in your very particular way.

Jaeger

Jaeger, 99% of all sedans look plain boring when compared to the CC...  That said, I must say the Camry SE (exterior) and Fusion Sport (2010) do stand out a bit.

I mostly agree.  Except I would add that most sdans in the midsize segment stand out "a bit".  They all have design elements that set them apart in a small way, but none really  manage to be both very successful AND very different from its competitors.  Moving to a different class for an example - the Acura TL arguably "looks like no other sedan" in its class.  It is also widely derided s being excruciatingly fugly.

Most of the cpmpetitors in the mainstream midsize segment are are instantly recognizable by virtue of their differences, yet remain more alike than not.  I can distinguish a Camry from an Altima from  a Fusion from a Mazda 6 at a glance - can't you?  Yet I wouldn't describe any of those vehicles as "looking like no other sedan!".  And understand that I am no Camry=basher.  I think it's a good-looking vehicle (particulary in black) and very strong all-'round performer (in SE trim).  But standout design in the segment?  Nope - I just don't see that at all.  I WOULD say that of the Passat CC.  That thing is like Halle Berry showing up for soccer practice.  All of the other soccer moms suddenly look like... well... a Camry.

And as an aside unrelated to your post, the suggestion that the Passat CC competes against full size sednas may be one of the more ridiculous comments I have seen in a while.

Jaeger

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2010, 07:29:56 am »

Are you kidding? The Camry looks like a bloated Yaris! Yeah, real original.

The Yaris is somewhat bloated yes, but the Camry no. The Camry has short front and rear overhangs, clean, simple lines and nice proportions with no random character lines. Sorry, but I don't see it.

Calling the Camry bloated? Yeah, now that's original; good job on jumping onto the bandwagon  ::).

I didn't say the Camry looked bloated; I said it looked like a bloated Yaris, as in, it looks like a blown up Yaris, a bigger Yaris. There is a big difference.

I'm in the camp that liked the previous Camry design a lot more than the current one. I hate both the Yaris and Camry design, too bulbuous to my taste.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2010, 07:34:03 am »
This article isn't specific to the new Sonata, but just some great info on how Hyundai has come.  An interesting read for sure.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/04/autos/hyundai_competition.fortune/index.htm
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Factual

« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2010, 08:20:34 am »
Factual,do you remember the commercials when the redesigned Camry came out??

Husband pulls up in bright red Camry. Wife accuses him of cheating on him and points out a lot of men still want to "get with this" pointing at her body.

Husband: "But honey, it's a Camry"
     Wife: "That?" (with an incredulous look)

The redesigned Camry was most definitely controversial (and flashy by Camry standards) when it came out. Yet it sold very well.

Acura TL owners liked the simple elegant lines of their cars. Many are completely turned off by the new one no matter how good it objectively is. Sales dropped.

My 09 Sonata has clean, elegant lines according to reviewers who like that stuff. For those who like more flash, the lines on my car are just plain Boring...(yawn).

We simply mirror our preferences and I for one will take the flash of the new model when the time comes

I don't think you can conclusively say that just based on a commercial. When the current 7th-gen Camry debuted, sure it was flashy for a Camry, but it was certainly not controversial. If it was controversial, as I stated with the Taurus, brand loyalty and the reputation of the Camry would have dropped, leading to decreased sales. While the current 7th gen Camry was flashier than the previous 6th gen, it also has some family similarities to the 5th gen Camry. While it was flashy when it first came out, it still looked like a Camry.

This new 6th generation Sonata on the other hand looks NOTHING like the previous 5th gen model. There is zero similarity in the exterior. Likewise, this 6th gen Sonata does not look like any previous generation of Sonata either; there are zero family cues to previous Sonata generations.

I think Factual is possessed of some mild delusion of being the arbiter of sound automotive design.  Or else he/she is simply confusing his/her personal preferences with hard and fast rules of general application.  The irony is that he dismisses the fairly widespread praise heaped upon the Sonata in this thread as a meaningless predictor of future sales success, yet he somehow holds his personal dislike of the design as meaningful.  Whatever.  I somehow think Hyundai will just fine with this vehicle. 

Jaeger

Done yet with the assumptions and personal attacks  ::)?

I've stated the facts, and if you don't like them, that's your problem.

Those who dismiss or ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

If you dismiss the fact that awkward, overly flashy, or radical designs struggle in the midsize sedan market, then you're just being oblivious to reality, but by all means continue to do so.

If the new 6th generation Sonata does better sales-wise than the previous 5th generation, I will eat my words. If not, well then many "enthusiasts", as well as bloggers and journalists will be served a lot of crow.

I mostly agree.  Except I would add that most sdans in the midsize segment stand out "a bit".  They all have design elements that set them apart in a small way, but none really  manage to be both very successful AND very different from its competitors.  Moving to a different class for an example - the Acura TL arguably "looks like no other sedan" in its class.  It is also widely derided s being excruciatingly fugly.

Most of the cpmpetitors in the mainstream midsize segment are are instantly recognizable by virtue of their differences, yet remain more alike than not.  I can distinguish a Camry from an Altima from  a Fusion from a Mazda 6 at a glance - can't you?  Yet I wouldn't describe any of those vehicles as "looking like no other sedan!".  And understand that I am no Camry=basher.  I think it's a good-looking vehicle (particulary in black) and very strong all-'round performer (in SE trim).  But standout design in the segment?  Nope - I just don't see that at all.  I WOULD say that of the Passat CC.  That thing is like Halle Berry showing up for soccer practice.  All of the other soccer moms suddenly look like... well... a Camry.

And as an aside unrelated to your post, the suggestion that the Passat CC competes against full size sednas may be one of the more ridiculous comments I have seen in a while.

Jaeger

You simply proved my point. Fact is, there are NO other sedans that look like a Fusion or Camry. Whether or not they stand out in traffic or on the streets is irrelevant to this question. The point is, as you yourself admit, you will not mistake a Camry for a Fusion, or an Altima, etc. on the street. Compare this to the new 6th gen Sonata, and it's a little different. It can be mistaken for a number of vehicles, since it mimics and imitates the styling of a number of vehicles.

The only thing ridiculous is your posts that continue to be full of assumptions while lacking in facts.

Here are THE FACTS:

In Canada, the CC starts at roughly 33K. The Camry starts at roughly 25K; the Accord at roughly 25K, the Fusion at roughly 21.5K, the Altima at roughly 24K, and the Sonata at roughly 23K.

For full-size sedans, the Ford Taurus starts at 30K, the Avalon at 39K, the Maxima at 39K, the LaCrosse at roughly 33K, the Hyundai Genesis at 39K. This is keeping in mind all of these cars (with the exception of the LaCrosse) come standard with a V6. The LaCrosse V6 starts at roughly 35K.

A V6 CC starts at 45K. For 33K, you only get a 4 cylinder CC.

Sorry, but the CC does not compete in the midsize segment when it costs 8-11K more than the competition. Even though it might not be considered full-size in terms of dimensions, it is priced like a full-size sedan. It is priced too high for most in the midsize segment to consider it. The V6 CC is priced higher than even most full-size sedans.

I didn't say the Camry looked bloated; I said it looked like a bloated Yaris, as in, it looks like a blown up Yaris, a bigger Yaris. There is a big difference.

I'm in the camp that liked the previous Camry design a lot more than the current one. I hate both the Yaris and Camry design, too bulbuous to my taste.

I find this to be an even more puzzling statement than your previous one. I completely fail to see how the Camry, with it's narrow horizontal headlights and tail lights, as well as overall straight character lines looks like a bloated Yaris. The Yaris sedan itself is somewhat bloated, with it's curvy lines and bulbous, bug-eyed headlights and tail lamps. To claim it looks like a "bloated Yaris" is to infer it looks even more bloated than a Yaris sedan, which is a very puzzling statement.

It seems however that you are convinced that the Camry is bloated, so it is pointless to argue further.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 08:26:16 am by Factual »

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2010, 08:46:21 am »
I never said the Camry looks bloated. I said it looked like a big Yaris. They both look like big bubbles.

aknutson

« Reply #110 on: March 04, 2010, 10:05:56 am »
Hyundai made a good move going for bold style and I4-only. Don't forget this is the first model year, I'm pretty sure a turbo is on the way that will provide those looking for more power with their thrills, while still keeping the fuel-sipping nature of the I4. A 4 cylinder car isn't what it used to be - these new engines are powerful, torquey, and when paired up with the 6-speed auto, incredibly smooth. We have owned an older I4 Camry for years - never groaned about more power, but we were often thankful at the pumps. If the car weighed 4500 lbs then yes, a V6 would be advisable. The car is light, so is a smaller motor, and it makes sense.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2010, 10:19:25 am »
This thread is a much better read with Factual on ignore.  Now if everyone would stop quoting him.

As usual the biggest issue for Hyundai is going to brand perception.  Sadly there are still a lot of people who owned one in the early 90's when they were junk and have sworn off of them.  Not unlike the legions of domestic owners that will now only buy an import.   Granted the ship of perception is turning, it's still taking time.  IF they can make this Sonata more reliable as the last and if it's more of a drivers car than the last then this will absolutely be a home run. 

I for one love the styling and it would probably the first car I recommend to someone shopping in this category. 

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2010, 11:00:00 am »

I've stated the facts, and if you don't like them, that's your problem.

Your "problem" - well, at least one of them - is an acute inability to distinguish fact from your own narrow personal opinion.  No doubt this is reflected in your choice of a forum handle.

Your contributions to this forum thus far are as pedantic as they are pointless.  Welcome to the ignore list.  :)

Jaeger

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2010, 11:04:47 am »
At risk of sounding like the 'broken record' here, i do agree that the bolder styling may turn off a few that just want their boring reliable appliance to get from here to there. 
But, what it has also done is interest someone like me.  The previous gen. Sonata I wouldn't even have considered as a purchase.  Drove a couple as rentals - was completely competent, but it was just 'meh'.  Forgettable.

The new one has got me. I want to and will check this car out, particularly when the turbo debuts.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2010, 11:26:57 am »
As usual the biggest issue for Hyundai is going to brand perception.I for one love the styling and it would probably the first car I recommend to someone shopping in this category.

I hope the perception problem stays around long enough that when I replace my 09 with a 2013 the value/quality equation is still strong  :D.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2010, 12:11:01 pm »
As usual the biggest issue for Hyundai is going to brand perception.I for one love the styling and it would probably the first car I recommend to someone shopping in this category.

I hope the perception problem stays around long enough that when I replace my 09 with a 2013 the value/quality equation is still strong  :D.

Absolutely, that is the biggest concern I have going forward with Kia/Hyundai... at some point, they won't be as good value as they are now. When that happens, I'll have to decide if I'm willing to pay more and stay with them, or search elsewhere for a great bargain. Hopefully, they'll remain agressive with their prices/incentives for the next 3-4 years so that I have time to buy another vehicle or two from them at great bargains!

aknutson

« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2010, 01:13:47 pm »

Absolutely, that is the biggest concern I have going forward with Kia/Hyundai... at some point, they won't be as good value as they are now. When that happens, I'll have to decide if I'm willing to pay more and stay with them, or search elsewhere for a great bargain. Hopefully, they'll remain agressive with their prices/incentives for the next 3-4 years so that I have time to buy another vehicle or two from them at great bargains!

If Hyundai is gaining massive market ground with their current formula (which they are) I don't think they will budge on the value equation. They may stretch their reaches into a broader, more upstream market, but if you notice the Genesis V8 is still a great 'value', given the $70K competition from Mercedes and BMW. The brand equity of big names like Toyota are crumbling from simple mistakes - all Hyundai needs to do is make their cars reliable and keep pouring on the style and value, and they are going to move leaps and bounds ahead. When we were shopping for a CUV I had a look at the CR-V, and it was a perfectly nice vehicle, but after driving the Santa Fe there was really just no comparison. Hyundai has the right formula, and I think they will keep it.

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-1
  • Can party with the best.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mercedes-Benz C-350
« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2010, 01:17:00 pm »
The previous gen. Sonata I wouldn't even have considered as a purchase.  Drove a couple as rentals - was completely competent, but it was just 'meh'.  Forgettable.
The new one has got me. I want to and will check this car out, particularly when the turbo debuts.

I was the same last year - drove a 4cyl and a V6 Sonata and while they were ok, they didn't light my fire in any category other than "competent tools".  The 2011 version is a different kettle 'o fish.  It's a looker.  I drove one two days ago and walked around it 6x and I'm going back next week for another look when the better model comes in.
Dopelar Effect - "The tendency of stupid people to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly."

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2010, 01:37:00 pm »
Hyundai has been top 10 in quality for at least the last 2 years. But I'm with sacrat - I hope the luddites of the world keep thinking of them as "cheap" and "old and rusty". For those that still think of Hyundai like that you're living in the past. Thats like saying that Fords rust faster than any other manufacturer because they use recycled metal! Or that AMCs blow up anytime they touch something.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #119 on: March 04, 2010, 02:32:42 pm »
Hyundai has been top 10 in quality for at least the last 2 years. But I'm with sacrat - I hope the luddites of the world keep thinking of them as "cheap" and "old and rusty". For those that still think of Hyundai like that you're living in the past. Thats like saying that Fords rust faster than any other manufacturer because they use recycled metal! Or that AMCs blow up anytime they touch something.

That was Honda  :rofl2: