Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Hyundai Sonata  (Read 63870 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2010, 09:39:53 pm »

All I'm saying is that the camera is at a weird angle that is constantly changing. It's pretty hard to tell. Actually, here's a behind the scene video that shows it much better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjY5Hz0FHts&feature=related From that video, you clearly see that the Camry is never ahead of the Sonata.

Not the same video IMO.......Looks like they both do a more leisurely roll out in this vid than the vid I posted.  But ya never know...

And you are truly a slappy if you don't think at 36 seconds into the first video the Camry is clearly ahead....Autoblog, AutoAddicts, and several others agree the Camry has the edge off the line...I mean..that's not a bad thing entirely as it shows the Sonata REALLY has beans up top to run down a car that crushed it off the line..
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 09:47:45 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2010, 09:48:04 pm »

Not the same video IMO.......Looks like they both do a more leisurely roll out in this vid than the vid I posted.  But ya never know...

And you are truly a slappy if you don't think at 36 seconds into the first video the Camry is clearly ahead....

This one is weird, they start at :23 in and cross the line at :42.  19 seconds?   

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2010, 09:50:32 pm »
And you are truly a slappy if you don't think at 36 seconds into the first video the Camry is clearly ahead....Autoblog, AutoAddicts, and several others agree the Camry has the edge off the line...I mean..that's not a bad thing entirely as it shows the Sonata REALLY has beans up top to run down a car that crushed it off the line..

I want to see some instrumented numbers on both cars, in North American trim, before I decide this one.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2010, 09:52:34 pm »

And you are truly a slappy if you don't think at 36 seconds into the first video the Camry is clearly ahead....

This one is weird, they start at :23 in and cross the line at :42.  19 seconds?   

Have no idea how long the actual course is...but without optimal traction (it looks cold and wet) I wouldn't say ~19 seconds for the 1/4 mile is out of the question...

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2010, 09:54:36 pm »
Yes, you're probably right... we need a translator!

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2010, 12:12:07 am »
Hyundai's Canadian website is showing 5 colours available for the Sonata.  Hyundai's US site is showing 10 colours available.  I hope that's a mistake.  If not, then it's a solid WTF I have to ask Hyundai Canada.   >:(

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2010, 12:15:53 am »
Hyundai's Canadian website is showing 5 colours available for the Sonata.  Hyundai's US site is showing 10 colours available.  I hope that's a mistake.  If not, then it's a solid WTF I have to ask Hyundai Canada.   >:(

Won't be the last time Canada gets the middle finger from an auto manufacturer...

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2010, 12:31:20 am »
I'm surprised that Hyundai would show that video. No good news there for Hyundai.

All they are showing is that the Camry is the better accelerating car, the way the vast majority of their customers are going to use it. I mean, it took a long time for the Sonata to catch up.

The Sonata will be toast at the stop light grand prix.

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2010, 12:32:00 am »
I'm surprised that Hyundai would show that video. No good news there for Hyundai.

All they are showing is that the Camry is the better accelerating car, the way the vast majority of their customers are going to use it. I mean, it took a long time for the Sonata to catch up.

Turbo should cure that ASAP!! 

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2010, 12:34:06 am »

Turbo should cure that ASAP!! 

No doubt. IF the Camry doesn't have a V6 in it.

Also, as long as they didn't design in a lot of turbo lag.

I guess I still don't see the point in hyping a video where your car gets beat so bad - being used the way it usually will be. Looks like it takes 12 seconds before the Sonata gets the lead.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 12:37:06 am by Erik »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2010, 12:39:59 am »

I guess I still don't see the point in hyping a video where your car gets beat so bad - being used the way it usually will be. Looks like it takes 12 seconds before the Sonata gets the lead.

You can chip much of that out if need be...

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2010, 12:43:56 am »

Any how many automotive appliance users will be heading for the chip store to do that with their Sonata? Not saying it wouldn't be fun, but it doesn't look like Hyundai is really going after the performance market. By everything I can find, the Genesis coupe has been a sales dud, so if they can't sell performance there, then I doubt many will be buying it in a Sonata.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2010, 12:54:18 am »

Any how many automotive appliance users will be heading for the chip store to do that with their Sonata? Not saying it wouldn't be fun, but it doesn't look like Hyundai is really going after the performance market. By everything I can find, the Genesis coupe has been a sales dud, so if they can't sell performance there, then I doubt many will be buying it in a Sonata.
A sales dud?  I see them everywhere here, in the land of "domestics rule".  You have sales figures??

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2010, 01:05:01 am »

A sales dud?  I see them everywhere here, in the land of "domestics rule".  You have sales figures??

That's the fun part. Hyundai doesn't release figures for the coupe separately. Everything is just listed as Genesis, oddly.

Been reading the Hyundai and Genesis forums, and the impression I am getting is that they are moving in the US at less than 1000 units per month. Well under.

Total Genesis name plate sales in the US in 2009 were 21889 units. The Genesis boards seem to think the Genesis sedan makes up about 2/3 of this total.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 01:21:07 am by Erik »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2010, 01:12:32 am »
Mine is certainly moving! :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2010, 01:21:01 am »

Maybe get your camera moving too......... ;)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2010, 02:12:52 am »

Maybe get your camera moving too......... ;)

This weekend.

gut

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2010, 02:41:26 am »
Exterior design-wise this thing looks like cross between Camry and Toyota's convertible (what was the name...    anyway.)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2010, 02:55:25 am »
Exterior design-wise this thing looks like cross between Camry and Toyota's convertible (what was the name...    anyway.)

A Solara?  You're kidding, right?

Factual

« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2010, 04:06:09 am »
I'm amazed at how many people here are praising the styling.

The car looks like a mix of a Camry, Solara, and Lexus ES, with some random side character lines thrown in to try and ape the VW CC, the chrome trim randomly stretched all the way to the headlights, and really odd proportions with the way the front and rear door handles are placed. Then there is the front end that looks like it was involved in an accident, it looks way too busy with all the wavy and curvy elements.

This might look "new and flashy" now, but this design is going to age poorly. There is no elegance or subtlety to it, nor does it look distinctive.

Even though there are many people who like to jump on the bandwagon and call the Camry "bland", the Camry is distinctive and the design has aged well. The Camry doesn't look like any other sedan, it just looks like a Camry.