Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Hyundai Sonata  (Read 63873 times)

Calvin

Re: First Drive: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 02:32:10 pm »
1st...I was wondering where the heck the commenting system went!  Oh!  Here it is! LOL Duh...or Doh!

2nd...What!!!!!!!!!!!!  No SE model here!  Balderdash!!  What a rip off (I'd use stronger langauge, but we're a polite nation  ;D)...why wouldn't THAT be the one I wanted to look at!??  I've read these things are amazing on fuel...upwards of 50 mpg driven with the intent to get good mileage (Imperial people - this aint the US of A!  and I don't do l/100km 'cause it's meaningless!) and I know I'd probably want the turbo, but 200 hp from a 4 is more than my current 6 has...by 45, and would probably be plenty adequate for my daily driving duties.  Can't be THAT bad.  But I want the SE, not a GLS, thanks a bunch.  Poopie Hyundai.

elcee

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 02:55:37 pm »
The exterior looks quite good although it still does nothing for me. What is this thing about having instrument at the bottom of long tubes. There are no reasons for this.
I like clean, simple and easy to read instruments. Some dash now look like the front of slot machine with cheesy colors and shapes.   

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 02:58:36 pm »
A well matched single engine choice in a good looking, well handling car is fine. Hope they do not start differentiating with external flair. Have not seen one yet. More interested in the next Elantra.
Yeah forgot about the instruments. Bit daft the tubes. Ditch the useless tach and give me a big speedo. It seems to me that they did that in the van and the big speedo looked nice.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 03:04:39 pm by Rupert »

Offline dasiuyan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 03:33:49 pm »
Direct Injection with Tubro charged engine will be the answer for tomorrow. Just like Ford Eco-Boost, a V6 Eco-Boost Tarus has similar V8 figure but yet better emission. This is what most Euro brand started doing several years ago. American brand is a bit behind on this. japanese is playing around with Hybrid most of the time.

I believe our 'lower' quality/standard gasoline may be a factor of seeing more such engine car in our market (Even our sulphur-'Enriched' diesel was the factor of seeing Common Rail Diesel not until recently). If the turbo charged engine is the same one from Genesis Coupe, it is good to see regular gasoline could be use in these type of engine.

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 04:36:24 pm »
"The new GDI engine is strong, though most of the power is found above 3,000 rpm, and while it revs willingly, it didn’t feel quite as smooth as other four-cylinder motors in the class"

Geez, did you drive others in this class back to back? Must have a good ear.

Great that the fuel economy is improved. The Sonata already had the best real world highway mileage in this class according to Consumer Reports. These new numbers are better than the Elantra and other compacts.

CatsEye68

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 04:56:20 pm »
Who says it lacks rear headroom - I mean, apart from you?  According to Edmunds, the 2011 Sonata offers 37.8 inches of rear headroom.  The competition: Altima - 36.8, Accord 37.2, Camry 37.4.  No matter whose numbers you select, the Sonata will be at or near the top for rear headroom.

Simply going by what the article states:

"Interior space is quite good, though the sloping rear roofline means there isn’t as much rear seat headroom as there could be. "

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 05:24:19 pm »
Wow! Talk about a stunner! This thing will sell like hot cakes. Not since the latest gen of the Camry have I liked the styling on a car so much.

Guys aside from us here almost everyone else will be fine with 200hp from a 4cyl. I mean seriously, the 95 Maxima had 190hp and I don't think anyone ever complained about the lack of acceleration in that thing. You guys are beyond power hungry. Like many have said the masses buy these things in 4cyl trim.

Very interested to see what the hybrid version will be like. Particularly interested to see if they'll use the same trans or if they'll come out iwth a CVT by then. I only say that because most hybrids (at least those I can think of save the monster Hybrid Yukon) come with a CVT. Lets hope they copy the Nissan one if they do.

Nice job Hyundai! SUV world better look out for the new Santa Fe too - something tells me they'll go for broke on that one too!

Whoa, I wouldn't be admitting that you like the Camry's styling to anyone within earshot.  You might get a "shoulda had a V8" slap to the head.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 05:29:26 pm »
Who says it lacks rear headroom - I mean, apart from you?  According to Edmunds, the 2011 Sonata offers 37.8 inches of rear headroom.  The competition: Altima - 36.8, Accord 37.2, Camry 37.4.  No matter whose numbers you select, the Sonata will be at or near the top for rear headroom.

"Interior space is quite good, though the sloping rear roofline means there isn’t as much rear seat headroom as there could be. "

Dude - there is a big difference between saying that "..there isn't as much rear seat headroom as there could be" and saying that there is a "lack of rear seat headroom" that "might be a deal-breaker".  Anyone that finds the Sonata to have a deal-breaking lack of rear-seat headroom is going to find very slim pickings in its class, because it's actually one of the best.  Sure, if it were shaped like a brick there could be more rear headroom available.  But what's there is ample for its class.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 05:30:23 pm »

Sure, but what is that quote really saying? "This car would have more rear headroom if it was a wagon"? Well duh. Sure, sloping roofline will affect headroom, but without comparing to other vehicles, how useful is that statement really?

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 05:37:43 pm »
I particularly love the fact that only a 4 cylinder is offered. This way I can be assured I can dress car up with all the bells and whistles and still get the 4 cyl I want. Too many cars have top of line options tied to larger engine.

That's not a new thing anymore.  More companies have seen the light and are offering the top trim levels with a 4 cyl.  I don't know them all off hand but the new Suzuki and Malibu are 2 that let you get the top model with a 4 banger.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2010, 06:42:54 pm »
No V6 required - even Americans are moving away from them.  Really, a good 4 banger with 200 horses should work just fine.

Agreed, 200 HP is decent enough for a bread 'n butter sedan.  An Acura TSX moves just fine (at least the previous generation did) with 200.

I will definitely be giving this one a look see - especially when they bring the turbo out

Hyundai gave several reasons for this decision.

1. US mileage requirements are becoming much stricter in 2016. Hyundai wants to lead the industry in mileage

2. Less front end weight when not designing for a V6 option. The Sonata is about 200 pounds lighter than most competitors which helps mileage and handling. It has the best power to weight ratio in class.

3. Only about 10% take on V6 engine recently.

I believe that any sales Hyundai loses to conservative family buyers, they will pick up in non-family buyers who would have never considered one before. I have a friend (single guy) with a 2005 G35 who is seriously looking at this car. To use Hyundai's term, they want their vehicles to become "aspirational" not just good value.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

BobCat

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 06:53:50 pm »
Nice car, it is just a disappointment when one put your mind on a specific model, based on the American specifications, only to find that the Canadian version will be a down scaled version. I don't have the full list but it appears as if the keyfob/pushbutton start will only available on the Canadian Limited model with the nav package (in the US it is available on the "standard" Limited). The Infinity radio will not be part of the Canadian Limited nav package where it is included in the US upgrade. Given the fact that we effectively pay more for the car over here it just does not make sense.  We also have only a subset of the US available colours. Why are we short changed all the time. I hope I am wrong but this is what I noted when comparing the info provided on the Canadian website with the US one.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2010, 07:08:32 pm »
Here's a vid of the Camry 4 banger vs. the new Sonata in a "race".  I was quite surprised that the Camry pulled so hard out of the hole compared to the Sonata.  I honestly thought the Sonata (with 25 extra horseys) would do a bit better from a stop.  Bear in my the "out of the hole" power is what you use day in day out squirting through traffic.  Still...that Sonata is a beautiful car!!  Best in class styling by a long shot!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INBnV2kZx34 
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2010, 07:49:13 pm »
Here's a vid of the Camry 4 banger vs. the new Sonata in a "race".  I was quite surprised that the Camry pulled so hard out of the hole compared to the Sonata.  I honestly thought the Sonata (with 25 extra horseys) would do a bit better from a stop.  Bear in my the "out of the hole" power is what you use day in day out squirting through traffic.  Still...that Sonata is a beautiful car!!  Best in class styling by a long shot!!

Hard to say definitely who initially pulls ahead of who with the point of view used to shoot that video, but after a few seconds, it's clear the Sonata has more top end torque. I'd be interested to see 80-120kph numbers for both of those vehicles. IMO, that is a more meaningful number than 0-100kph.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2010, 07:54:14 pm »

Hard to say definitely who initially pulls ahead of who with the point of view used to shoot that video, but after a few seconds, it's clear the Sonata has more top end torque. I'd be interested to see 80-120kph numbers for both of those vehicles. IMO, that is a more meaningful number than 0-100kph.

It's not hard to say.  You can see the Camry easily pull ahead.  But like you said...the Sonata gets it on the big end..

Well it depends what type of driving you do.  City driving/stop and go?  0-100.  Highway cruising/plenty of passing....80-120..

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2010, 08:43:59 pm »
About 75% of my driving is done on the highway, so it's the Sonata FTW.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2010, 08:56:42 pm »

C'mon man, what vid were you watching?  It's only "hard to tell" for dyed in the wool Hyundai fans.  :P  The Camry LEAPS ahead off the line, then is just as obviously reeled in by the Sonata.

The Camry sure looks like a shipping crate next to the swoopy Sonata, though.

Jaeger

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2010, 09:00:08 pm »

I've had the same experience with my 09 Sonata Sport (175hp). It feels a little lethargic off the line (0-100 9.5 sec.) However it feels much stronger in the mid range especially when merging onto the freeway. Calgary has a mix of slower roads and freeways so it's a decent compromise with great fuel economy

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2010, 09:20:11 pm »

C'mon man, what vid were you watching?  It's only "hard to tell" for dyed in the wool Hyundai fans.  :P  The Camry LEAPS ahead off the line, then is just as obviously reeled in by the Sonata.

Jaeger

No doubt!!

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2010, 09:34:05 pm »

Jaeger

All I'm saying is that the camera is at a weird angle that is constantly changing. It's pretty hard to tell. Actually, here's a behind the scene video that shows it much better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjY5Hz0FHts&feature=related From that video, you clearly see that the Camry is never ahead of the Sonata.