Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Nissan Altima 3.5 SR sedan  (Read 21056 times)

Shaoul

Re: Test Drive: 2010 Nissan Altima 3.5 SR sedan
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 07:30:15 pm »
Only autobox is a CVT? No V6 manual except for the coupe? Et tu Nissan? >:(

Et tu Nissan? :think: I'm french and have no idea what you are trying to say here.

"Et tu, Brute?" (pronounced and occasionally spelled "Et tu, Bruté?") ("Even you, Brutus?", or "And you, Brutus?" or "You too, Brutus?" or "You also, Brutus?") is a Latin phrase often used poetically to represent the last words of Roman dictator Julius Caesar. Immortalized by Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, the quotation is widely used in Western culture as an epitome of betrayal.  ;)

Well in french "Et tu" is "Are you" in English therefore "Are you Nissan", huh, did not make any sense.

Well, "Are you?" in French is "Es Tu?" not "Et tu?", just in the interest of linguistic accuracy  :P

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 07:36:17 pm »
Why all this back and forth about French? Sir O's post was in reference to a famous Shakespearean quote in Latin.

(Altima1 was obviously one of those guys sleeping in the back of high school English class  ;D )
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Shaoul

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 07:56:17 pm »
Why all this back and forth about French? Sir O's post was in reference to a famous Shakespearean quote in Latin.

(Altima1 was obviously one of those guys sleeping in the back of high school English class  ;D )

The Latin reference has already been made by someone else (though I'm surprised it was needed for that famous Shakespearean phrase :D), but I wanted to clear the confusion between that and the similar French translation of "are you?" Just a public service, that's all  ;D

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 08:32:03 pm »

Don't get all twisted here, any frenchman and one such as I who does not give 2 shites about latin would look at that short phrase and say what is this person trying to say in french.  Latin was the last thing on my mind.  Pax tecum ;D

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 09:54:09 pm »
Omnes relinquite spes, o vos intrantes! :rofl2:
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Dan

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 09:55:22 pm »
Wow you guys are funny....we go from talking about the Altima that was just reviewed and now you guys are talking about French and Latin lol....how about back to the car review now haha

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2010, 09:58:45 pm »
Omnes relinquite spes, o vos intrantes! :rofl2:

But that would mean giving up on YOU!!   :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2010, 10:02:17 pm »
Pardonnez-moi, mais je ne comprend pas ce que vous dit.  Je parle que les langues morts. ;D

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2010, 10:49:49 pm »
I rented a Nissan Altima for a whole week in a recent trip and I agree the CVT is a deal breaker. Any time I tried to accelerate with even a little bit of enthusiasm, I get this rubber band bahaviour where there's lots of revs and no speed to show for it till the gears eventaually catch up, which was VERY frustrating! I never got used to that and I drove the car some 600kms. If this is one of the better CVTs currently available, then I can only imagine how bad the lesser ones would be. Other than that, the car was fine and I have no complaints. It wouldn've definitely been a contender when time comes to replace my current ride, but the CVT ruled it out. Give me a 6-speed auto over this contraption any time!

Work for Toyota by any chance? ;D
FYI 0-60mph(0-100) in 6.4 secs, so I don't know what your problem is :think: http://www.insideline.com/nissan/altima/2008/full-test-2008-nissan-altima-coupe.html

I don't think his opinion is by any means showing any bias.  It's been written in many magazines, that a CVT is unnatural feeling or "weird".  And 0-100 in 6.4 is no better than other family sedans with a V6 and 6 speed auto.  A Camry, Malibu, Mazda 6 will produce similar numbers.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2010, 06:07:45 am »
I rented a Nissan Altima for a whole week in a recent trip and I agree the CVT is a deal breaker. Any time I tried to accelerate with even a little bit of enthusiasm, I get this rubber band bahaviour where there's lots of revs and no speed to show for it till the gears eventaually catch up, which was VERY frustrating! I never got used to that and I drove the car some 600kms. If this is one of the better CVTs currently available, then I can only imagine how bad the lesser ones would be. Other than that, the car was fine and I have no complaints. It wouldn've definitely been a contender when time comes to replace my current ride, but the CVT ruled it out. Give me a 6-speed auto over this contraption any time!

FYI 0-60mph(0-100) in 6.4 secs, so I don't know what your problem is :think: http://www.insideline.com/nissan/altima/2008/full-test-2008-nissan-altima-coupe.html

I don't think his opinion is by any means showing any bias.  It's been written in many magazines, that a CVT is unnatural feeling or "weird".  And 0-100 in 6.4 is no better than other family sedans with a V6 and 6 speed auto.  A Camry, Malibu, Mazda 6 will produce similar numbers.

I did not say it was better, but the poster said "there's lots of revs and no speed to show for it"

Ok have a look at this, see how long it took to reach 70mph with a 2.5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXlhqzyzyqo

and the 3.5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXokc-lMqm0&feature=related

and BTW CR's latest ratings, the first 2 have come a long way ;)

The 2010 Top Picks are:

Family sedan – Nissan Altima

Small sedan – Hyundai Elantra SE

Sporty car – Volkswagen GTI

Small SUV – Subaru Forester

Best car overall – Lexus LS 460L

Green car – Toyota Prius

Family SUV – Chevrolet Traverse

Sports sedan – Infiniti G37

Family hauler – Mazda5

Pickup truck – Chevrolet Silverado 1500
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 06:14:09 am by Altima1 »

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2010, 10:18:22 am »
The Altima has come a long way?  It's been basically the same car for several years since the major redesign in the early 2000s.  Nissan has just restyled and improved it along the way.  But the platform and engines are mostly the same.  It's the rest of the class that have come a long way like the Mazda6, Fusion, Malibu, and Sonata.  I disagree with the CVT though.  Audi had a CVT in the A4 with a 3.0 V6 several years ago and then abandoned it, I'm guessing because of drivability and reliability reasons. The top cars in the Family sedan class are a toss up.  There really is no clear cut winner or best car.  It's mostly down to taste since all of them perform within a whisker of each other.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2010, 10:27:01 am »
Altima1 - "and BTW CR's latest ratings, the first 2 have come a long way

The 2010 Top Picks are:

Family sedan – Nissan Altima...."

While I am a fan of CRs reliability histories, their review and selection of "Best Cars" often leaves a great deal to be desired from a auto enthusiast POV. In fact, if CR likes a vehicle, often many on here would not like it. Unless, of course, you are a fan of driving appliances from A to B.

The CVT would be a killer for me, in an otherwise decent car such as an Altima Coupe 3.5.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Shaoul

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2010, 11:07:44 am »

FYI 0-60mph(0-100) in 6.4 secs, so I don't know what your problem is :think:

I did not say it was better, but the poster said "there's lots of revs and no speed to show for it"

Ok have a look at this, see how long it took to reach 70mph with a 2.5

and the 3.5
and BTW CR's latest ratings, the first 2 have come a long way ;)

The 2010 Top Picks are:

Family sedan – Nissan Altima

Small sedan – Hyundai Elantra SE

Sporty car – Volkswagen GTI

Small SUV – Subaru Forester

Best car overall – Lexus LS 460L

Green car – Toyota Prius

Family SUV – Chevrolet Traverse

Sports sedan – Infiniti G37

Family hauler – Mazda5

Pickup truck – Chevrolet Silverado 1500

The poster also said that the CVT had a rubber band behavior; i.e. lots of tension initially and then an explosion of power. Again, whether that process takes 6.4 or 16.4 seconds to launch the car to 100 km/hr is irrelevant; it's the non-linearity of the whole thing that annoys.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2010, 12:49:42 pm »

The 2010 Top Picks are:

While I am a fan of CRs reliability histories, their review and selection of "Best Cars" often leaves a great deal to be desired from a auto enthusiast POV. In fact, if CR likes a vehicle, often many on here would not like it. Unless, of course, you are a fan of driving appliances from A to B.

The CVT would be a killer for me, in an otherwise decent car such as an Altima Coupe 3.5.

I find your comments interesting Ovr50, over the years I have come to know you as the defender of CR, do I sense a change?  The Altima has always been one of the sportier appliance, Mazda 6 although far less now apparently.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2010, 12:59:08 pm »
The Altima has come a long way?  It's been basically the same car for several years since the major redesign in the early 2000s.  Nissan has just restyled and improved it along the way.  But the platform and engines are mostly the same.  It's the rest of the class that have come a long way like the Mazda6, Fusion, Malibu, and Sonata.  I disagree with the CVT though.  Audi had a CVT in the A4 with a 3.0 V6 several years ago and then abandoned it, I'm guessing because of drivability and reliability reasons. The top cars in the Family sedan class are a toss up.  There really is no clear cut winner or best car.  It's mostly down to taste since all of them perform within a whisker of each other.

The 06 Altima and the 07 Altima are completely different cars, they only share similarities in looks.  Nissan has proven it was a wise move and the Canadian sales are there to prove that, what? 1500 units less than the Camry?  In the US it is in the top 10, 5th 6th I forget.

The next one will definitely be a bigger change.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2010, 01:08:19 pm »

The 06 Altima and the 07 Altima are completely different cars, they only share similarities in looks.  Nissan has proven it was a wise move and the Canadian sales are there to prove that, what? 1500 units less than the Camry?  In the US it is in the top 10, 5th 6th I forget.

The next one will definitely be a bigger change.

I agree - anyone that says the 3rd and 4th gen Altima's are "basically the same car" hasn't driven both.  Significant upgrade in horsepower with an even more significant reduction in torque steer, major improvement in interior ergonomics and quality of materials, and unlike every other midsize entry slowly bloating its way to full size territory (and some already arriving there) Nissan actually reduced the size of the present Altima versus the previous gen.  Is it perfect?  Hell no.  But to describe the changes as purely cosmetic is to exit reality, stage left.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2010, 01:13:07 pm »

The 2010 Top Picks are:

I find your comments interesting Ovr50, over the years I have come to know you as the defender of CR, do I sense a change?  The Altima has always been one of the sportier appliance, Mazda 6 although far less now apparently.

No, Altima1, not a change in my attitude to CR. I have always defended CRs "Reliability Histories" as IMO they are the best in an "iffy" business. I have never been a fan of CR's picks for top cars, nor of their reviews. A review of my posts over the years will verify this. I find CR too "utilitarian" for my taste, but (and I repeat) their reliability stats are good. CR is another tool at your disposal when deciding on which vehicle to buy, but not the only guide. That has always been my opinion.  :)

vdk

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2010, 01:19:17 pm »

The 2010 Top Picks are:

No, Altima1, not a change in my attitude to CR. I have always defended CRs "Reliability Histories" as IMO they are the best in an "iffy" business. I have never been a fan of CR's picks for top cars, nor of their reviews. A review of my posts over the years will verify this. I find CR too "utilitarian" for my taste, but (and I repeat) their reliability stats are good. CR is another tool at your disposal when deciding on which vehicle to buy, but not the only guide. That has always been my opinion.  :)

They chose the GTI as Best Sporty car. There must be something wrong.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2010, 01:54:51 pm »
vdk - "They chose the GTI as Best Sporty car. There must be something wrong."

They don't get everything wrong all the time.... ;) ;D

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2010, 03:12:34 pm »
Edmunds.com just posted their new review of the 2010 Altima 3.5SR. They don't seem to mind the CVT as much as might be expected..??

http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/altima/2010/testdrive.html