Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Nissan Altima 3.5 SR sedan  (Read 21066 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2010 Nissan Altima 3.5 SR sedan
« on: February 24, 2010, 04:07:36 am »

While it's refreshed for 2010, changes to the Nissan Altima sedan are mostly cosmetic, says Assistant Editor Jil McIntosh. Handling and performance combine with an improved interior that now makes this a contender among the segment's best, she says.

Read More...

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2010 Nissan Altima 3.5 SR sedan
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 06:20:16 am »
If only at least the SR model had a conventional automatic transmission... We probably would have replaced our Mazda6 GT automatic with a SR model but since driving enjoyment is on top of my list, Nissan has been simply ruled out since so many years. New vehicles with 6-speed auto have now better fuel economy than Nissan's with CVTs. I know I don't speak for the masses but Nissan, come on! I hope you have a back-up plan for the near future... And how can you make awesome cars like the Z and the Gs yet fall so short with the Altima SR and my gosh, screw up so badly the poor Maxima.  :'(

Sign that things are changing so much in the auto world, anyone considering the Altima SR should seriously check out the Fusion Sport which is AWD for the same price ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12406
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 09:21:12 am »
No more stick with the V6 sedan - boooo!  >:(

If I wanted an auto, I'd be more than happy with the CVT.  In manual mode, it's "shifts" are much quicker than almost any other conventional automtic I have driven and come very close to VW's DSG.

But I don't WANT an automatic.  >:(

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Toe

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 11:27:28 am »
Rear wheel hop on a front wheel drive car?  Or did you mean that the back end steps sideways on bumpy turns, like in the pony cars of yore?  Like that great scene from Bullitt with the rear axle hopping like mad while McQueen is reversing after missing a turn.  Aside from that, how's the torque steer on this model?

67 Piston Slap

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 01:22:46 pm »
A $37,000 front wheel drive CVT sedan?

You have got to be kidding me.

vdk

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 01:34:45 pm »
The CVT is not bad as long as you don't put your foot down. Then it gets weird.

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 03:02:26 pm »
As much that I have heard positive about cvt's (ie. mileage) and especially Nissan's, todays auto tranys are far superior and as a result  getting mileage close to if not equal to manual t's (some even exceed).   ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 03:25:12 pm »
Only autobox is a CVT? No V6 manual except for the coupe (really like the coupe though)? Et tu Nissan? >:(
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 06:43:44 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 04:22:34 pm »
I've read and heard about problems with the Murano and their CVTs.  I don't trust a new technology like this, especially when it's being used with a powerful V6 engine.  6 speed autos will give you the same performance and mileage, so I don't see the point in going with this any further.  Nissan would be better off investing in a conventional auto.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 04:27:39 pm »
One of the best looking "midsized" sedans...but I would never buy one with the CVT. I hated it on my test drive.

Shaoul

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 04:54:01 pm »
I rented a Nissan Altima for a whole week in a recent trip and I agree the CVT is a deal breaker. Any time I tried to accelerate with even a little bit of enthusiasm, I get this rubber band bahaviour where there's lots of revs and no speed to show for it till the gears eventaually catch up, which was VERY frustrating! I never got used to that and I drove the car some 600kms. If this is one of the better CVTs currently available, then I can only imagine how bad the lesser ones would be. Other than that, the car was fine and I have no complaints. It wouldn've definitely been a contender when time comes to replace my current ride, but the CVT ruled it out. Give me a 6-speed auto over this contraption any time!

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 06:26:15 pm »
Only autobox is a CVT? No V6 manual except for the coupe? Et tu Nissan? >:(

Et tu Nissan? :think: I'm french and have no idea what you are trying to say here.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 06:34:59 pm »
I rented a Nissan Altima for a whole week in a recent trip and I agree the CVT is a deal breaker. Any time I tried to accelerate with even a little bit of enthusiasm, I get this rubber band bahaviour where there's lots of revs and no speed to show for it till the gears eventaually catch up, which was VERY frustrating! I never got used to that and I drove the car some 600kms. If this is one of the better CVTs currently available, then I can only imagine how bad the lesser ones would be. Other than that, the car was fine and I have no complaints. It wouldn've definitely been a contender when time comes to replace my current ride, but the CVT ruled it out. Give me a 6-speed auto over this contraption any time!

Work for Toyota by any chance? ;D
FYI 0-60mph(0-100) in 6.4 secs, so I don't know what your problem is :think: http://www.insideline.com/nissan/altima/2008/full-test-2008-nissan-altima-coupe.html

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 06:38:35 pm »

Et tu Nissan? :think: I'm french and have no idea what you are trying to say here.

"Et tu, Brute?" (pronounced and occasionally spelled "Et tu, Bruté?") ("Even you, Brutus?", or "And you, Brutus?" or "You too, Brutus?" or "You also, Brutus?") is a Latin phrase often used poetically to represent the last words of Roman dictator Julius Caesar. Immortalized by Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, the quotation is widely used in Western culture as an epitome of betrayal.  ;)

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 06:41:37 pm »
No more stick with the V6 sedan - boooo!  >:(

If I wanted an auto, I'd be more than happy with the CVT.  In manual mode, it's "shifts" are much quicker than almost any other conventional automtic I have driven and come very close to VW's DSG.

But I don't WANT an automatic.  >:(

Jaeger

After almost 2 years of driving a CVT I have come to hate conventional automatics, those claiming "intelligence" and they never seem to be able to make up their minds in what gear to be in but instead give you this chronic "flare".

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 06:46:34 pm »

"Et tu, Brute?" (pronounced and occasionally spelled "Et tu, Bruté?") ("Even you, Brutus?", or "And you, Brutus?" or "You too, Brutus?" or "You also, Brutus?") is a Latin phrase often used poetically to represent the last words of Roman dictator Julius Caesar. Immortalized by Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, the quotation is widely used in Western culture as an epitome of betrayal.  ;)

Well in french "Et tu" is "Are you" in English therefore "Are you Nissan", huh, did not make any sense.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 07:14:29 pm »

Well in french "Et tu" is "Are you" in English therefore "Are you Nissan", huh, did not make any sense.

He was basically calling Nissan a traitor for not having a manual...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 07:18:40 pm »
To each his own but the CVT was the deal breaker for us when we were replacing my wife's car last year.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Shaoul

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 07:24:27 pm »

Work for Toyota by any chance? ;D
FYI 0-60mph(0-100) in 6.4 secs, so I don't know what your problem is :think:

Try "owning a Toyota by any chance" and you'd make more sense since I happen to  currently own one  ;D. However, I'm no fanboy of any particular brand like u seem to be and would have sooner gone for an Altima over, say, a Camry if the former had a conventional auto since I believe the Altima is at least the equal of the Camry in most aspects (and better in quite a few).

And you didn't get the point; acceleration time is irrelevant, what I find unacceptable is the non-linear way power is delivered much of the time because of the CVT, especially if you have a lead-foot like I do.

vdk

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 07:26:32 pm »

What? Maybe in Quebecois. Not in French. Et = And in French.