Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 VW Tiguan 2.0T Highline 4Motion  (Read 29391 times)

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
Re: Test Drive: 2010 VW Tiguan 2.0T Highline 4Motion
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 11:46:48 am »
I shopped this car last summer and liked it a lot, but there were 2 issues that kept me away: no manual or even DSG available with 4motion, and i found the pricing was too high for what it was. For the same money as a 4motion highline, i could have bought a used BMW X3, a superior car in most respects.

My inlaws have an X3 and it is an absolute penalty box on wheels.  If it were a 3 series I would get tired of the constant bumps and firmness, but for a CUV, come on.  They've been criticized for the ride ever since it came out.  And the interior is nothing special either.  Very plain and cold.  Top Gear magazine even called it the worst BMW.

Sorry to read your inlaws have had such a bad experience with their X3. I can only comment on my own experience with extensive test drives of '05 and '06 x3's with sport package, and the experience of a friend who owns an '05 sport package as well. To me the ride was firm, but i liked it fine (i was also coming out of another BMW with very firm suspension, so maybe i was just used to it).

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 11:49:21 am »
Love the Tiguan. I'm a big guy and by far it provides the roomiest feeling, most comfortable front seating position of any compact utility from a luxury or non-luxury brand. It does have one of - if not the - smallest cargo areas, but since I typically don't cart around much that's not a primary concern. The space/comfort, quality, features, and drive are the big draws.

There is tremendous pricing pressure in the market these days from players like Hyundai/Kia which does make buyers question the value of vehicles like this. Over $40 gets to be a bit much - a Comfortline makes more sense, and the jump in price from '09 to '10 didn't help, but do think it's a solid purchase overall depending what you're looking for. For me, no other vehicle in segment checks off as many boxes as Tiguan and I know I'd be happy with it long term. Even moreso if a TDI 4MOTION manual existed.

My brother in law who is 6'6" sat in a GMC Terrain at the T.O autoshow and surprisingly was comfortable.  And even more surprising is that I (6'2) was able to sit behind him without hitting my knees against his seat (after I moved the rear seat back a bit).  My biggest complaint of the Tiguan is that it just looks like a girls SUV.  It looks tiny (like a Kia Sportage) and it's expensive.  It may drive better than many other CUVs but what about function?  It has a small interior and small cargo area. If you have kids, this thing is useless.  For the money, there are more useful CUVs to pick from.

The Equinox/Terrain are very generous front and rear, with good cloth seats up front too (don't like the leather seats, but that's the only way to get them heated) except for the plastic piece on the side of them which digs into you when getting in or out (depending how you do it) and find there's more side-to-side legroom restriction in the footwell area. However, I still don't find the atmosphere as appealing, and with Tiguan's pana roof they don't feel as airy and have bulky pillars hindering visibility. For most who wouldn't notice, don't care, or must have greater rear seat and cargo space they are a very roomy couple.

Sat in an X3 (just barely) and couldn't believe how much I disliked it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:08:57 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 11:52:14 am »
I shopped this car last summer and liked it a lot, but there were 2 issues that kept me away: no manual or even DSG available with 4motion,

They did you a favour by offering no DSG.... ;D

Stick to manual or conventional automatics for now.

Well I tried the DSG in a GTI few years back, and i did like it. Then I tried it last year in a Jetta TDI, and didn't find it much better than the tiptronic - perhaps i wasn't using it correctly. Either way, I much prefer 3 pedals.

RET

A manual 2010 VW Tiguan 2.0T Highline 4Motion is needed
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 12:14:29 pm »
...or even better a TDi manual 4Motion.   I am about to return my leased 2007 GTi and I love that car and hoped to go with a Tiguan but no manual 4Motion so looking elsewhere.

RET

aknutson

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 12:28:44 pm »
Me and my wife are purchasing our next vehicle in the next month or so and during the summer we tried out a lot of vehicles.  I'm a car guy and she's a SUV/CUV gal.  So there were a lot of vehicles to choose from.  We decided to test drive this vehicle when doing the other VW's that I was interested in (Passat CC and GTI), and compare it to other SUV/CUV's that we've tried.  The SUV/CUV that we compared this vehicle to include the Toyota Rav4 V6 and Venza V6, Mitsubishi Outlander V6, used 2007 Acura RDX, and the Hyundai Santa Fe (2009/2010 both with biggest V6).  I was very impressed with how well the VW handled but that was to be expected as it was clearly the smallest of the SUV/CUV that we test drove.  The engine was really good, but not as good as in the other VW vehicles that I tried it in (CC,GTI).  The storage area seemed very small compared to the other vehicles that we tried and the back seat, while adaquate, was one of the smallest of the bunch.  The one thing that we absolutely loved in the VW is the pano sun roof.  Wow was that a nice option and by far the best I've seen in any vehicle.  I wondered why they don't have more like this in other vehicles.  In the end our favourite was the Hyundai Santa Fe 2010 V6.  It wasn't the quickest, or best handling, or best looking exterior, but it was the best overall vehicle.  The engine was very good (especially when compared to the 2009 3.3L V6 in the old Santa Fe) but the best engine was in the Toyota Rav4, which felt like a rocket ship compared to some SUV's.  I would say the 2010 Santa Fe would be tied with the Toyota Venza for second in the engine category.  The interior in the Santa Fe was head and shoulders over the majority of the competition and our favourite of the bunch.  It was tied for quitest interior at highway speeds with the Toyota Venza.  Loved the amount of space in the vehicle and the rear seats reclined the furthest for a comfy place to be on a long road trip.  When the price was factored in with 0% financing for 5 years it was a no brainer.  As for the cars that we tried I didn't fall in love with any of them enough to call one my own so I figured I would just make my wife happy.

ha ha, count us in on the new Santa Fe list, we just took delivery of our 2010 GL V6. Love it so far - the mileage is impressive out of the V6, and I have never found it to be lacking in power in town or on the highway. Overall a fantastic value in this crowded market and you made a smart buy. But it's funny because I'm still the car guy as well, and my wife prefers the CUV's. If you liked the pana sunroof, did you look at the new Tucson? It's smaller than the Santa Fe but in Limited trim it offers a panoramic sunroof and a nicely appointed leather interior.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 12:34:18 pm by aknutson »

aknutson

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 02:15:18 pm »
It would be great if higher trim levels were offered with FWD and manual. After all, its a golf underneath. For those that wanted to bring down the MSRP, reduce maintenance costs and get better fuel economy, offering the Highline with FWD/manual would be perfect. If VW charges $3,400 for 4motion and DSG (according to build/price at VW.ca), that would mean they could bring the price of a FWD/stick down to around $33K, and at that point it would be a great buy. From what I see on the 401 every winter, most people only use AWD to get into a ditch faster anyways...

bgheorghiu

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 05:36:04 pm »
Great car but would be a lot more appealing with the TDI engine and a low to mid-thirties price point.  Great torque, great fuel economy and no competition (yet).  Seems like a no-brainer to me.   

Alex_S

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2010, 12:02:40 am »
Me and my wife are purchasing our next vehicle in the next month or so and during the summer we tried out a lot of vehicles.  I'm a car guy and she's a SUV/CUV gal.  So there were a lot of vehicles to choose from.  We decided to test drive this vehicle when doing the other VW's that I was interested in (Passat CC and GTI), and compare it to other SUV/CUV's that we've tried.  The SUV/CUV that we compared this vehicle to include the Toyota Rav4 V6 and Venza V6, Mitsubishi Outlander V6, used 2007 Acura RDX, and the Hyundai Santa Fe (2009/2010 both with biggest V6).  I was very impressed with how well the VW handled but that was to be expected as it was clearly the smallest of the SUV/CUV that we test drove.  The engine was really good, but not as good as in the other VW vehicles that I tried it in (CC,GTI).  The storage area seemed very small compared to the other vehicles that we tried and the back seat, while adaquate, was one of the smallest of the bunch.  The one thing that we absolutely loved in the VW is the pano sun roof.  Wow was that a nice option and by far the best I've seen in any vehicle.  I wondered why they don't have more like this in other vehicles.  In the end our favourite was the Hyundai Santa Fe 2010 V6.  It wasn't the quickest, or best handling, or best looking exterior, but it was the best overall vehicle.  The engine was very good (especially when compared to the 2009 3.3L V6 in the old Santa Fe) but the best engine was in the Toyota Rav4, which felt like a rocket ship compared to some SUV's.  I would say the 2010 Santa Fe would be tied with the Toyota Venza for second in the engine category.  The interior in the Santa Fe was head and shoulders over the majority of the competition and our favourite of the bunch.  It was tied for quitest interior at highway speeds with the Toyota Venza.  Loved the amount of space in the vehicle and the rear seats reclined the furthest for a comfy place to be on a long road trip.  When the price was factored in with 0% financing for 5 years it was a no brainer.  As for the cars that we tried I didn't fall in love with any of them enough to call one my own so I figured I would just make my wife happy.

This is extremely insightful - a close friend has a Santa Fe and has recently echoed similar sentiments..  Thank you for sharing and very interesting..

Alex_S

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2010, 12:28:05 am »
A nice article overall but I'll go against the grain and say the Tiguan is not a 'true' competitor vs BMW and MB.  It might slot in nicely below in price but in terms of prestige, VW's Audi division sizes up nicely in the segment.  If the company is trying to put this vehicle up against BMW/MB by slightly undercutting price, I think it is a decision that is not unlike a decision to produce and market the VW Phaeton. We know how costly the Phaeton was..

I believe the Tiguan competes against the RAV4, CRV, TUCSON and among these, would have to agree with the other visitor that the Hyundai TUCSON is the MOST APPEALING of the bunch on a value basis.  Have seen pics of Hyundai's pano roof and looks sweet along with 18" rims on the Ltd edition.  Throw in class leading fuel efficiency, all of your requisite safety features, a warranty that puts competitors to shame and arguably the best looks - it is not close in my books.. The fact the TUCSON is cheaper is simply the cherry on top.  If price was no object and needed a premium SUV, I would pay extra for the Audi Q5 personally..
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:21:31 am by Alex_S »

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2010, 07:55:28 am »
^^^^^^

The Tiguan is just like all the other VW products, stuck between the offerings from the mainstream brands (Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford, Hyundai, etc.) and those from luxury brands (BMW, M-B, Audi, Lexus). It's nothing new; it's been like this for at least 10 years now.

The closest natural competitors to VW vehicles are made by Acura and Volvo, with Volvo's maybe a tad higher on the luxury pole.

The Tiguan vs Phaeton comparison doesn't make sense at all. VW was trying to jump 20 steps by launching a vehicle at least two times than anything else it sold with the Phaeton. The Tiguan has a place on the market. It's a very good compromise between mainstream and luxury.

John MacDonald

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2010, 08:09:20 am »
I'm glad some of you liked my 2 cents about the CUV/SUV buying experience that me and my wife had.  As for the mention of the Hyundai Tucson me and my wife did not try the new one as we are both not fans of non-turbo/supercharged 4 cylinders.  We like to have that passing/merging power you get out of higher output engines and the 2.4 cylinder 175 HP motor in the Tucson would not be up to snuff for us personally.  We actually had friends who bought the previous model 2009 Tucson with AWD and V6.  Actually I was the one that introduced them into Hyundai as they aren't much for car shopping and were looking for some guidance.  I originally got them to go out in the Santa Fe and they both seemed to like it but in the end they were more concerned about the payment amount and the old Tucson had some great deals on at the time.  But looking back I think they made a mistake as the new Tucson is so much better it would be worth the extra cash per month.  As for the pano roof in the Tucson it is nice but compared to the Tiguan it's not as good.  We could have gone with the new Kia Sorento and get a pano roof but both me and the wife aren't really sold on Kia right now even thoug the Sorento is exactly the same vehicle as the Santa Fe under the skin.  Plus I think the Santa Fe will have slightly better resale value than the Kia, and add in the fact that Hyundai actually has a better deal than the kia I can sacrifice the pano roof for the regular sunroof in our Limited model.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2010, 09:22:49 am »
A nice article overall but I'll go against the grain and say the Tiguan is not a 'true' competitor vs BMW and MB.  It might slot in nicely below in price but in terms of prestige, VW's Audi division sizes up nicely in the segment.  If the company is trying to put this vehicle up against BMW/MB by slightly undercutting price, I think it is a decision that is not unlike a decision to produce and market the VW Phaeton. We know how costly the Phaeton was..

I think the Phaeton’s case was truly unique, and not really comparable to the Tiguan's. Sure, VW does risk losing sales on the Tiguan if they price it too high for the market, much as they did on the Phaeton. But the difference between those two cars is the Phaeton was worth its price (at least if brand prestige was not important to the buyer), and one could argue it was even under-priced, for what it was, which was a cut-price Bentley Continental (minus the turbos of course).

When the Phaeton was first introduced here, most auto journos agreed that it was a better car than its immediate competitors. It was an over-engineered masterpiece and, yeah, as we know, a sales flop. VW obviously underestimated how much the NA luxury car buyer preferred brand prestige. On the other hand, the Tiguan isn`t an over-engineered masterpiece, it`s just a nice -if pricey- CUV.

Offline Susido

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2010, 01:07:05 pm »
I'd just like to know what "automatic headlights with coming home function" is...

As far as pricing is concerned, it doesn't sound so bad now that I've discovered a Kia dealer trying to extort over $44K +tax for a 2011 Sorento (real MSRP is about $41.5). But it does have a real nice panoramic sunroof to rival the Tiguan. Best value in this segment right now certainly seems to be the Santa Fe.

Offline Susido

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2010, 01:17:24 pm »
  We could have gone with the new Kia Sorento and get a pano roof but both me and the wife aren't really sold on Kia right now even thoug the Sorento is exactly the same vehicle as the Santa Fe under the skin.  Plus I think the Santa Fe will have slightly better resale value than the Kia, and add in the fact that Hyundai actually has a better deal than the kia I can sacrifice the pano roof for the regular sunroof in our Limited model.

I know where you're coming from but I'm more or less sold on the Sorento, given all the additional features on it over the Santa Fe but pricing is such a disparity right now. When I mentioned the disparity between the Sorento and shared platform Santa Fe to a Kia dealer I was chastised by the sales manager who told me they weren't the same platform at all (instead the Sorento was essentially the same as the Veracruz!). When I told him I could easily find a dozen references on-line to support my case, he told me to come back after I look and "apologize to him". Most bizarre dealership experience I've ever had...

vdk

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2010, 01:24:55 pm »
I'd just like to know what "automatic headlights with coming home function" is...

When you lock the car the lights will stay on for 15s so you can find your way home.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2010, 02:42:57 pm »

As far as pricing is concerned, it doesn't sound so bad now that I've discovered a Kia dealer trying to extort over $44K +tax for a 2011 Sorento (real MSRP is about $41.5). But it does have a real nice panoramic sunroof to rival the Tiguan. Best value in this segment right now certainly seems to be the Santa Fe.

I am confused with that pricing.  MSRP right on Kia's website shows a fully loaded EX V6 Luxury at $39,945.  What exactly was being optioned out on the the model they were quoting you on?
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Susido

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2010, 07:02:57 pm »

I am confused with that pricing.  MSRP right on Kia's website shows a fully loaded EX V6 Luxury at $39,945.  What exactly was being optioned out on the the model they were quoting you on?

Well freight of $1650 would be the big one if not included in your price. Add to that AC tax, $200 more for paint other than black, $400 for 2-tone seats, $400 for chrome wheels, and you get MSRP of $41345 according to CarCostCanada. God knows how much PDI they want. The rest is what you could just call additional dealer profit but probably included the usual nitrogen filled tires, phony rust protection and useless window etching.

At least that dealer (from h*ll) was smart enough not to put any price stickers on the window.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 07:06:48 pm by Susido »

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2010, 06:58:32 am »
Generally this class of car isn't for me, so I'm innately biased. However, that said, I drove a Tiguan last year and found it to be just about the nastiest vehicle I'd ever tried. Unlike a GTI, which feels more expensive than its sticker price, the Tiguan manages to feel fundamentally cheap. Could have been the cloth seats and manual a/c in the base 4motion version I drove, but I doubt that leather and climate control would really have changed my perspective.

The drive is deadly dull. The 2.0T engine is a fantastic piece of engineering, but it doesn't seem suited to the pairing with the auto 'box that comes standard on 4motion models, and the added weight of the awd kit makes it even more sluggish. All this talk of the sharp handling bewilders me, too. It was a bouncy, understeering mess.

I paid under $50k for my Touareg TDI, which can actually go off road, has a low-range transmission and locking centre diff, has twice as much torque, gets better mileage and looks tough and rugged as an SUV should (yea, yea, I'm shallow like that...). Admittedly you can play that "base model vs. loaded model" game with countless cars, but in this case I couldn't imagine picking the Highline Tiguan over the Comfortline Touareg.

John MacDonald

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2010, 06:59:58 am »

The dealer in Med Hat Alberta must be ripping their customers off.  The new Sorento tops out at $39,945.  The only way they can justify asking $44K +tax is if there is a $4,000 bag of cash in the back.

John MacDonald

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2010, 07:15:28 am »
  We could have gone with the new Kia Sorento and get a pano roof but both me and the wife aren't really sold on Kia right now even thoug the Sorento is exactly the same vehicle as the Santa Fe under the skin.  Plus I think the Santa Fe will have slightly better resale value than the Kia, and add in the fact that Hyundai actually has a better deal than the kia I can sacrifice the pano roof for the regular sunroof in our Limited model.

I know where you're coming from but I'm more or less sold on the Sorento, given all the additional features on it over the Santa Fe but pricing is such a disparity right now. When I mentioned the disparity between the Sorento and shared platform Santa Fe to a Kia dealer I was chastised by the sales manager who told me they weren't the same platform at all (instead the Sorento was essentially the same as the Veracruz!). When I told him I could easily find a dozen references on-line to support my case, he told me to come back after I look and "apologize to him". Most bizarre dealership experience I've ever had...

I know this will sound like I'm tooting my own horn but rarely do I ever meet an auto sales person who knows more about vehicles than me.  Most of the time I know more about their own product than they do and I don't think I've met sales person who knows their competition like I do.  So you have to understand to expect a sales person to know anything about a competitor is asking too much, heck this guy doesn't even know everything about his own product.  Make no mistake the new Sorento is the Hyundai, there are a few tweaks her and there but basically they are the same vehicle.  The Veracruz is a much bigger vehicle and I know this because I took one out and it has a legit 3rd row seat that adults can fit into.  If I were you and had this experience I would email him some info and ask that next time he should do his homework before mouthing off of a potential customer.