Author Topic: Audi RS5 (specs now available)  (Read 13001 times)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Re: Audi RS5 (specs now available)
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2010, 10:49:30 am »
 ;D ;D Haven't you guys just about beat this Manual vs DSG/DCT tranny argument to death? There are fans on both sides of the fence; and both trannies have advantages and disadvantages, depending on your driving preferences. If you can't get a manual in the new RS4, and you must have one, then maybe buy something else? Or am I missing something here? You can still get a BMW with a choice.

;) ;D ???
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Volkswagen, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2010, 10:59:38 am »
You can still get a BMW with a choice.

Yeah, but Audi>BMW.

(pokin' 'em again)  ;D

Mr Pickypants

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2010, 11:04:22 am »
I love manual trannies, and totally appreciate what you are saying. But I think their time has passed into the land of  "remember when cars had manual steering and brakes" or "remember off-throttle oversteer".

I think that is the strangest thing I have ever seen written on a driving enthusiast's forum, very strange indeed.

Why is it strange to say? Old technology dies and is replaced.  How many sport cars today don't have ABS, traction control, stability control, drive by wire throttle, etc.,

Every TVR ever made. Which is why I have wanted one since I was a kid, and still do. And which is why old 911's are so good compared to new ones. And which is why early BMW and Lotus' are some of the best driving cars in the world and also don't have some of these. And did anyone mention Caterham 7's? The ultimate driver's car.

I don't mind dual clutch transmissions at all, in fact I look forward to owning one at some point.  I just think manual shifting with a clutch is a nice thing to do, so it's good to have the choice.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2010, 11:42:56 am »
It's a shame we don't get a lot of those supercars over here. I think there have been a few Koenigseggs in the States, but what about TVR, Ascari, Pagini, etc.?

The US got Nobles as kit cars for a while. :drool:

Mitlov

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2010, 11:48:36 am »
I do think DSG/PDK sounds like something I'd want on a street car where you get all the advantages and feel of a manual tranny

No matter how often you say this, it isn't true.  You do NOT get the same "feel" when you're not modulating the clutch yourself.  Sure, it's not objectively better than a DSG (not faster, not more fuel efficient, not more convenient), but it is absolutely not true that you get the same "feel" with a DSG that you do with a traditional manual.

Audi is all about advantage through technology, why would they want to go retro when DSG is faster and better by any measurable factor? 

They offer a traditional manual in a B7 RS4, a B8 S4, and the R8 supercar (both the V8 and the V10).  Given that context, the question for me isn't "why would they offer a manual in the RS5," but "why wouldn't they?"  It's not like the RS5 is more performance-oriented than the R8 V10, right?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2010, 11:58:50 am »
It's a shame we don't get a lot of those supercars over here. I think there have been a few Koenigseggs in the States, but what about TVR, Ascari, Pagini, etc.?

The US got Nobles as kit cars for a while. :drool:

There used be TVRs in Canada, I remember the dealer in TO in the '80s.  This one was available IIRC and a coupe version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tvr.280i.arp.jpg
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2010, 12:12:16 pm »
You can still get a BMW with a choice.

Yeah, but Audi>BMW.

(pokin' 'em again)  ;D

Not in my world, or lots of other's...... ;D ;D ;D  8)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Volkswagen, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2010, 12:12:46 pm »
I do think DSG/PDK sounds like something I'd want on a street car where you get all the advantages and feel of a manual tranny

No matter how often you say this, it isn't true.  You do NOT get the same "feel" when you're not modulating the clutch yourself.  Sure, it's not objectively better than a DSG (not faster, not more fuel efficient, not more convenient), but it is absolutely not true that you get the same "feel" with a DSG that you do with a traditional manual.

Apart from dropping the clutch  at 7000rpm and trying to do a smoky burnout, what advantage is that clutch modulation feel in a quattro like this?  There is no clutch modulation once you're moving.

Audi is all about advantage through technology, why would they want to go retro when DSG is faster and better by any measurable factor? 

They offer a traditional manual in a B7 RS4, a B8 S4, and the R8 supercar (both the V8 and the V10).  Given that context, the question for me isn't "why would they offer a manual in the RS5," but "why wouldn't they?"  It's not like the RS5 is more performance-oriented than the R8 V10, right?

You're right, why shouldn't they offer a full manual if they have one?  But I suspect the reason they still offer a full manual on the R8 is because the previous R-tronic DSG sucked as it was a single clutch design.  Apparently the new one works quite well and I suspect the manual will disappear eventually.

BTW, here's a quote from Jalopnik about it:

Good news, in the V10 version, R-Tronic has been perfected. Even in full auto mode, the transmission makes snap decisions and executes them quickly, driving through heavy traffic is no more a chore than in a normal auto and it's completely unintrusive. Put it into manual control mode and the sport setting and it's utterly awe-inspiring. Shifting with the paddles is lightning quick and you can knock out upshifts and downshifts like an F1 driver. The car feels even faster with the automatic. If manual transmissions die as a result of transmissions like this, we'll only be a little heartbroken, because the V10 mated to the R-Tronic is a seriously good combination.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2010, 05:00:22 pm »

Exactly. What would you be "feeling" if the clutch is not there. Feels like air under my foot.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Mitlov

« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2010, 07:47:13 pm »
Motherload of RS5 pics, in red, white, and blue:  http://www.netcarshow.com/audi/2011-rs5/

The more I look at it, the more I think that the regular S5 looks better.  The exhaust pipes are cartoonishly large, and the front is just a little too much.  Plus, you can get an S5 with a 6MT...I'm still mad about that.  BMW puts a manual in all or essentially all versions of the 1-Series, 3-Series, 5-Series (no joke), and Z4, but Audi won't even make it an option in the A3 VR6 or the RS5?  I'm thinking of jumping ship with my fanboy loyalty here...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2010, 08:09:59 pm »
They tested it in 2-3 car mags this month FYI...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...