Author Topic: Audi RS5 (specs now available)  (Read 13016 times)

Mitlov

Audi RS5 (specs now available)
« on: February 20, 2010, 12:53:35 pm »

Full gallery: http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/audi-rs5-leaked-brochure-images/full/#2

Gorgeous.  Just gorgeous.  The sort of sexy restraint that made the B7 RS4 such a stunningly-good-looking car without any of the garishness of, say, the C63 AMG or IS-F.  Just look at that:

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/audi-rs5-leaked-brochure-images/full/#11

And Audi delivers the same brilliant interior it always does, executed better than ever:

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/audi-rs5-leaked-brochure-images/full/#16

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/audi-rs5-leaked-brochure-images/full/#18

We don't yet know what sort of engine it has, but we know that whatever it is doesn't redline until 8200 rpm.

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/audi-rs5-leaked-brochure-images/full/#12

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/20/leakage-alert-audi-rs5-brochure-images-surface-ahead-of-geneva/

EDIT:

Specs:

Unbridled power lurking in a classically elegant coupé: the Audi RS5 will debut at the 2010 Geneva Auto Show. The high-revving 4.2-liter V8 with its 331 kW (450 hp) unleashes powerful performance while achieving remarkable fuel economy. The seven-speed S tronic and an innovative center differential in the quattro drivetrain transmit power to all four wheels.

Developed by quattro GmbH, the RS models comprise the dynamic spearhead of Audi's model range. The Audi RS5 is the latest torchbearer in a tradition dating back over 15 years to the RS2 Avant: superior handling in the mid-size class.

A close relative of the V10 which powers the high-performance Audi R8 sports car, the high-revving V8 engine delivers its output from a displacement of 4,163 cm3. Like nearly every Audi gasoline engine, this one also operates via direct fuel injection known by the abbreviation FSI. This same technology has propelled the Audi R8 racing car to four triumphs at the classic endurance race in Le Mans. The common-rail system generates up to 120 bars of pressure.

Intensive fine-tuning of the dual-branch intake and exhaust system allows the undersquare engine to breathe freely; four adjustable camshafts and tumble flaps in the intake manifold facilitate mixture formation. The 4.2 FSI provides imposing torque and is right at home even at high revs - almost like a race engine. The engine delivers 331 kW (450 hp) at 8,250 rpm and - between 4,000 and 6,000 rpm - transmits a maximum of 430 Nm (317.15 lb-ft) of torque.

The vigorous strength, the spontaneous responsiveness, the joyful high-revving, and the throaty, sonorous music: this V8 produced by hand at Audi stunningly combines the essence of power and emotion. The 4.2 FSI propels the coupé's 1,725 kilograms (3,802.97 pounds) in 4.6 seconds from 0 to 100 km/h (0 to 62.14 mph) to an electronically governed top speed of 250 km/h (155.34 mph). Audi can increase that to 280 km/h (173.98 mph) upon request.

http://www.netcarshow.com/audi/2011-rs5/
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 11:59:39 am by Mitlov »

Mitlov

Re: Audi RS5 brochure images leaked!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 12:54:43 pm »
Any guesses on engines?  I'm betting on a supercharged version of the current S5's engine, making, say, 450 horsepower and gobs of torque.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 01:02:07 pm »
Very nice!

Offline auto_enthusiast

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 01:51:42 pm »
Looks great - I'm thinking it will have a variation of the twin turbo 4.2 V-8 maybe with close to 500 hp.

vdk

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 02:06:16 pm »
It has the same redline as the NA 4.2 V8. It's probably the same engine. The RS4 has it, the R8 has it, it's only natural the RS5 will have it too.

Mitlov

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 02:47:36 pm »
It has the same redline as the NA 4.2 V8. It's probably the same engine. The RS4 has it, the R8 has it, it's only natural the RS5 will have it too.

Ooh, didn't even think of that.  The R8 4.2 has 420 horsepower, 317 lb-ft of torque, and a redline of 8250 rpm.  The only thing that makes me think there might be more to it than that is the S4.  The S4 doesn't exactly match the 335i's power; it outguns it.  The R8's 4.2 is almost exactly where the M3 is, in both power and torque.  I expected a forced-induction engine with power and torque more along the lines of the C63 AMG than the M3.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 02:54:26 pm »
I'd be surprised if the RS5 has a different engine than the RS4... but maybe. In any case, I'm sure it will be :drool:-worthy. :D

Mitlov

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 02:56:31 pm »
I'd be surprised if the RS5 has a different engine than the RS4... but maybe. In any case, I'm sure it will be :drool:-worthy. :D

I'm sure it'll have the same engine as whatever the upcoming B8 RS4...but I honestly would be a bit surprised if it shared an engine with the long-in-the-tooth, on-its-way-out B7 RS4.

If it does, though, at least we know one thing: it'll sound like Norse gods having sex.

vdk

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 03:05:57 pm »
The 4.2 V8 compares very good to BMW's 4L V8. No reason to change it ;D. Plus as you said, it sounds  :bow: :love: :drool: 

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 03:45:56 pm »

I'm sure it'll have the same engine as whatever the upcoming B8 RS4...but I honestly would be a bit surprised if it shared an engine with the long-in-the-tooth, on-its-way-out B7 RS4.

If it does, though, at least we know one thing: it'll sound like Norse gods having sex.

Does this mean that the stereo will only play Der Ring Das Nibelungen?   I seem to remember that weakly God-like entities have sex in there somewhere... off stage.  Siegmund and Sieglinde in Die Walkure. Trouble is they are brother and sister...
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Mitlov

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 11:56:22 am »
450 horsepower naturally-aspirated 4.2L V8...so it's the same engine but tweaked to give a slight advantage over the M3.

TRAGICALLY, this supermodel of a performance car will only be available with a 7-speed DSG...no traditional manual :(

http://www.netcarshow.com/audi/2011-rs5/

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 12:09:34 pm »
TRAGICALLY, this supermodel of a performance car will only be available with a 7-speed DSG...no traditional manual :(

That's a joke, right? :thumbdown:

Mitlov

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 12:15:18 pm »

It doesn't appear to be :( Hey, car companies, I understand that dual-clutch transmissions are the best performance-oriented automatics ever, but some people still prefer to go a tenth of a second slower and row their gears.  BMW (M3) and Porsche (911) get this...why don't VWAG and Ferrari?

vdk

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 02:06:40 pm »

You know why I think that's weird coming from Audi. Because the RS4 was available ONLY with a manual transmission. Why the change of heart?

In this case RS4 > RS5.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
Re: Audi RS5 (specs now available)
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 02:22:09 pm »
It doesn't bode well for the next-gen RS4, does it?

Like Mitlov, I'd prefer to go a little bit slower but have more fun than I would go slightly faster but have an autobox*. The RS4 already makes more sense than the RS5, if it's available with a stick while the RS5 isn't, then the choice is obvious. And it seems this is the time to buy once, since the new RS4 will probably have an auto... :(

* OK, so a DSG doesn't have a torque converter. But a proper manual has a manual clutch - anything else is an automatic gearbox, whether it's a traditional torque converter auto or a modern twin-clutch DSG.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 10:43:46 pm »
Likely the bean counters have been at it again. Lower warranty claims with the auto box.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

vdk

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 10:52:20 pm »
Likely the bean counters have been at it again. Lower warranty claims with the auto box.

I can see that happening since it's AWD...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 11:35:02 pm »
BMW eventually brought M5 and M6 with manual..  i'm sure Audi will come around.

if not, I ain't spending my future lottery win in audi shop.  :rofl2:  :rofl:

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Mitlov

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 02:19:27 am »
BMW eventually brought M5 and M6 with manual..  i'm sure Audi will come around.

if not, I ain't spending my future lottery win in audi shop.  :rofl2:  :rofl:

If I recall correctly, BMW's trick was to make the traction control not fully defeatable on the manual-transmission M5 so that you couldn't blow the entire drivetrain with a few poorly-handled launches.  While not the "no-nanny" ideal, it beats the hell out of not offering a manual at all.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Volkswagen, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 08:47:18 am »
Audi is planning on using the same 8-speed automatic across it's entire line.  Perhaps they have the same idea with the DSG?
I haven't tried out a DSG yet, but I think I'll like it.  Why do people still want to row through the gears?
Mr Pickypants