Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Porsche Panamera 4S  (Read 15325 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2010 Porsche Panamera 4S
« on: February 12, 2010, 04:05:46 am »

The Panamera with all-wheel drive “does a remarkable job of melding sybaritic motoring comfort with sporting behaviour, and as a bonus – it’s a bloody useful hatchback,” says reviewer Peter Bleakney. “My only gripe is poor rear visibility.”

Read More...

Pishtosh

Re: Test Drive: 2010 Porsche Panamera 4S
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 07:32:01 am »
"Imposing", "unmistakeably Porsche"....perfect.  In spite of the griping about the looks of this thing written elsewhere these descriptors are probably exactly why the car is attractive to the real potential buyers.  I am one of the potential buyers of course....except for the being able to afford it part.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 08:13:09 am »
Other gripe - exterior styling.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

TagueVagn

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 09:14:18 am »
Now if only a car like that had any place in Alberta.  Bump bump bump bump

Something tells me your rather large golden retriever was not in the back without those seats folded down! 

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 09:48:52 am »
I saw one of these parked in my lot yesterday, and spent a minute checking it out. It actually looks pretty good in the flesh and it really didnt seem so big. The only truly bad angle on the car is at the C-pillar and, to be clear, it's awful.

With that said, I have to give credit to Porsche for building this car with a hatchback. Car marketers are always complaining that North Americans dont see wagons or hatchbacks as premium vehicles. Hopefully this cars existence and anticipated success in the marketplace will finally shut those people up.

Finally, everyone is comparing this car to the Aston Martin Rapide. This would make sense, except for the fact that the Rapide is going to cost roughtly $250k Cdn so they arent really in the same league.

john

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 10:42:17 am »
Lebowski is right about the Aston being in another league in price but not in where they compete.  The Aston is a beautiful vehicle that has a lot going for it but when you compare with the porsche you can't justify the extra $80,000.  Plus the turbo version of the porsche is much quicker, has more room in the interior, and is probably better handling.  The Aston is a lot better looking but is it worth $80,000 more for a slower, less practical, vehicle.

Vanster

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 11:06:03 am »
Seems Porsche has joined the Honda Crosstour styling club. Of course, since this car costs what a condo in many places does, such styling will be lauded as "revolutionary" while the Crosstour is "hideous."

Dan

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 11:18:48 am »
I think this car look pretty nice and the fact that it only seats 4 people is a plus in my books because this car is intended to be luxurious, sporty and comfortable so what better way then each passenger having bucket seats....if only I could afford one hahaha.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 11:28:23 am »
Lebowski is right about the Aston being in another league in price but not in where they compete.  The Aston is a beautiful vehicle that has a lot going for it but when you compare with the porsche you can't justify the extra $80,000.  Plus the turbo version of the porsche is much quicker, has more room in the interior, and is probably better handling.  The Aston is a lot better looking but is it worth $80,000 more for a slower, less practical, vehicle.

FWIW I do think the Aston and Panamera compete well on paper (except on price of course), but i`ll be a bit surprised if these  cars will be frequently cross-shopped.

I think the Panamera and Rapide represent the fundamental differences between Aston and Porsche, and that is that they approach things from opposite ends of the form/function spectrum.

The Aston DB9, for instance, is a painfully beautiful car, inside and out. But a Porsche 911 turbo likely drives circles around it.

But I doubt anyone buys an Aston because it drives better or is cheaper to run than a Porsche. They buy it because it looks the way it does and, when it isn't in the shop, it drives pretty well. So my guess is someone who is considering a Rapide will do so because it looks the way it does, regardless of how it drives and, as such, will likely have little interest in the Porsche.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 12:05:15 pm »
Some of the people in this tax bracket just buy both the Rapide and the Panamera.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 12:16:34 pm »
Ooh a suped up CrossTour... nice!

:rofl2:

Seriously though, it does the job it is supposed to do very well indeed.  Now Porsche please get going on the 928.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 12:38:56 pm »
Some of the people in this tax bracket just buy both the Rapide and the Panamera.

Haha, yeah, that's probably true.

DragonflyJack

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 02:44:42 pm »
  Ah yes....4 door sedan snootery...What crap...  Are the tires optional?
  Who buys(into) this bunk?   I'll take 7 Chevy's please..Leather standard...
                 dragonfly

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 03:05:51 pm »
  Ah yes....4 door sedan snootery...What crap...  Are the tires optional?
  Who buys(into) this bunk?   I'll take 7 Chevy's please..Leather standard...
                 dragonfly

good call, dragonfly, Chevy Aveo Rulez!!

SJP

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 03:25:26 pm »

"Lebowski is right about the Aston being in another league in price but not in where they compete.  The Aston is a beautiful vehicle that has a lot going for it but when you compare with the porsche you can't justify the extra $80,000.  Plus the turbo version of the porsche is much quicker, has more room in the interior, and is probably better handling.  The Aston is a lot better looking but is it worth $80,000 more for a slower, less practical, vehicle."

In all honesty, anyone looking at buying either of these has practicality or value at the bottom of their criteria. For that matter any one looking at the Porsche is not too concerned with looks either, in my opinion. There are a LOT of vehicles for a fraction of the price that make a LOT more sense. The only thing missing name badge. I have driven some reasonably high performance machines, and have yet to find a place in this country in my daily driving where I could push any of them to their limit. And none of them were as capable as the Porsche or Aston.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 04:03:51 pm »

In all honesty, anyone looking at buying either of these has practicality or value at the bottom of their criteria....There are a LOT of vehicles for a fraction of the price that make a LOT more sense.

I disagree. There are not "a LOT" of vehicles for a fraction of the price that make more sense than the Panamera. Actually, short of Audi's forbidden fruit RS-series wagons, i can't think of any other hatchbacks/wagons that have all the Panamera's abilities. Sure, a Subaru STI is just as quick, and an Audi A6 wagon is just as luxurious, but neither will combine the two elements as well as will the Porsche.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 04:06:57 pm by lebowski »

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 11:05:22 pm »
Other gripe - exterior styling.

:iagree:  Terrible when compared to the Quattroporte...or the upcoming Sportbacked Audis.  I'd take the Maserati.

And before you jump on me talking about hatchback utility...please...look at the roofline.

Another gripe is the Road Test review.  Hello!! Quit the freak'n spewing of specs...describe the drive in a little more than one or two sentences for heaven's sake.

Mitlov

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 11:59:37 pm »
Seems Porsche has joined the Honda Crosstour styling club. Of course, since this car costs what a condo in many places does, such styling will be lauded as "revolutionary" while the Crosstour is "hideous."

More than one people are jumping to the conclusions that reviewers and audiences will fawn over its looks.  I'm not sure why.  If you read the article itself, it says:

s it pretty? Not really. Is it homely? To some. British mouth-piece Jeremy Clarkson calls it as ugly as an inside-out monkey.

The Panamera is a great car despite its looks, not because of them.  And I think most people understand that.  Like the Audi R8, it's a fantastic, if awkwardly-proportioned, car.

Offline Snowdog

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 07:01:57 pm »
I have seen a lot of moaning about the looks, but IMO, it is better looking than a lot of the competition. A8/BMW 7 series etc...

Aston make IMO the best looking cars on planet earth, so yeah they look better.

I also like the practicality of a hatchback, though short of big lottery win I wouldn't be looking at one of these.

SJP

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 05:18:14 pm »

"I disagree. There are not "a LOT" of vehicles for a fraction of the price that make more sense than the Panamera. Actually, short of Audi's forbidden fruit RS-series wagons, i can't think of any other hatchbacks/wagons that have all the Panamera's abilities. Sure, a Subaru STI is just as quick, and an Audi A6 wagon is just as luxurious, but neither will combine the two elements as well as will the Porsche."

Not if you are talking about the Porsche's PERFORMANCE capability, NO, but my point is that a lot of that capability is only important sitting around talking about specifications. looking out my window at the 4 foot snow drift, most of what this car can do means nothing. If a buyer were to buy buy a car based on practicality or sensibility, there are many less expensive vehicles, that can serve the purpose of providing a good vehicle that can carry four people and some luggage. If you add better fuel economy, more luggage space, AWD, seating for 5 etc, then a very large number of less prestigious vehicles would work very well. 

My point is that this vehicle is not bought with practicality or sensibility being the deciding factor, or even an important factor. If you really want one, fine, I am sure it is a great car in many ways, but that doesn't make it a "practical" choice