Poll

Much hoohaa is said on here about auto vs manual vs dsg type transmissions.  And especially that you now can't get a new Ferrari with a manual 'box.  So my question is this, if you were buying a new Ferrari F430 which box would you (honestly) tick?

Manual
29 (60.4%)
Flappy Paddle F1 Style
19 (39.6%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: April 13, 2010, 01:19:42 am

Author Topic: Flappy Paddles?  (Read 12565 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Flappy Paddles?
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2010, 03:47:13 pm »
With some cars, I would much prefer a manual transmission.  A Ferrari might be a rolling homage to F1, but I'd still want a DIY shifter.  It's the kind of car you don't sit in rush hour gridlock in.  A WRX would be such a difficult choice for me.  I'd much prefer the stick for driving fun, but a WRX would probably be a commuter car as well.

That said, I'm currently walking to work, so I'd be pretty tempted to choose the manual.

Mitlov

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2010, 04:11:16 pm »
With some cars, I would much prefer a manual transmission.  A Ferrari might be a rolling homage to F1, but I'd still want a DIY shifter.  It's the kind of car you don't sit in rush hour gridlock in.  A WRX would be such a difficult choice for me.  I'd much prefer the stick for driving fun, but a WRX would probably be a commuter car as well.

That said, I'm currently walking to work, so I'd be pretty tempted to choose the manual.

Isn't the WRX's automatic just about the worst auto you can find in a performance car?  If you want two pedals in a mid-price rally car, for Odin's sake get a Ralliart.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2010, 06:24:03 pm »

Isn't the WRX's automatic just about the worst auto you can find in a performance car?  If you want two pedals in a mid-price rally car, for Odin's sake get a Ralliart.

Yeah if you're gonna get flappy paddles at least get one with two clutches.  Rubberband transmissions do not apply in this thread.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2010, 06:54:02 pm »
60-40 split, with 30 votes, almost over, right down to the clutch now.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2010, 09:19:40 pm »
..GRAB-FEST..........paddle your own canoe....................... ;)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2010, 09:48:50 pm »
Manual more fun

Dual clutch more fast 

/end thread. haha

Every time I have taken a manual then a DSG type tranny onto a track I was substantially faster in the DSG despite being fairly prolific with a manual with more concentration on turn and braking points I hit my marks perfectly with the DSG but typically with the manual am a fraction of a second late on turn in.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2010, 10:06:21 pm »
From where I sit a manual transmission =

or

or

Flappy paddles:

You can certainly make the argument that the more advanced technically does the same job just as well, and is likely more efficient and less hassle to use. True enough.

But I know which one *I* would pick!
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Mitlov

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2010, 11:47:19 pm »
I don't know, Beyonce is such an arrogant self-absorbed diva that, from where I'm sitting, Lars's "real girl" doesn't sound half-bad ;)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2010, 01:17:12 am »
From where I sit a manual transmission =

or

or

Clutch, BRAKE (with Mitlov on this), and GAS are definite a pop & go ... do check under the hood for fluids tho.

vdk

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2010, 01:38:30 am »
^^ I have that poster. ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2010, 11:05:52 am »
..i have  THAT shirt..... :P

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2010, 02:48:01 pm »
Plus Beyonce is going to be GIGANTIC when she stops dancing/gets older.  Like having a manual with excess curb weight.... ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2010, 02:58:38 pm »
Plus Beyonce is going to be GIGANTIC when she stops dancing/gets older.  Like having a manual with excess curb weight.... ;D
Or like a M-B S class?    Big and fast and comfortable....
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2010, 05:25:26 pm »
Ha ha ha, I'd ride that!

vdk

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2010, 05:34:47 pm »
Rodeo?

madjak30

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2010, 12:35:03 pm »
It kind of boils down to three criteria...

Get to work comfortably, stress free in the city traffic...auto box  :sleep:

Set the best lap time on your favorite course...flappy paddle box   :winner:

Enjoy the drive, and be involved with the machine...manual box   :skid:

For me there is an additional criteria:

Have a vehicle that the better half won't want to drive...manual box (performace exhaust would also be a deterant here)   :cheers:

I know not all have a significant other that has no interest in learning to drive a manual...all the better for me!!

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2010, 04:54:12 pm »

For me there is an additional criteria:

Have a vehicle that the better half won't want to drive...manual box

Good Call. Many girls my age never learned to drive manual. Doesn't work for my better half though. She prefers to row her own, and so I must share.  :'(
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2010, 05:20:05 pm »
My wife won't drive a manual in traffic ... so his & her cars.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2010, 05:27:06 pm »
My SO can drive manual.  If I don't drive my manual in stop&go, she will.   She like my car more than hers. 

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2010, 05:32:00 pm »
The bug is cuter than a silver Civic.