Poll

Much hoohaa is said on here about auto vs manual vs dsg type transmissions.  And especially that you now can't get a new Ferrari with a manual 'box.  So my question is this, if you were buying a new Ferrari F430 which box would you (honestly) tick?

Manual
29 (60.4%)
Flappy Paddle F1 Style
19 (39.6%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: April 13, 2010, 01:19:42 am

Author Topic: Flappy Paddles?  (Read 12581 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: Flappy Paddles?
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 09:37:50 am »
Re: Downshift

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 10:09:34 am »
I haven't tried a VW DSG yet, I will definitely have to do this.

One thing for those of you who own one, is the reason that journo's find it a bit boring because the shifts are too smooth?  Would it feel more meaty if the shifts were stronger, or more jerky?

Maybe. The shifts, up and down, are more pronounced in "sport mode" but then the transmission doesn't like 5th or 6th at any speed one can use on a road in Ont. You can change into 5th using the paddles but it will soon change back into 4th.Some say it won't use 5th or 6th at all. I suspect that it will use 5th and 6th at over 160 kph.
So sport mode is not economical at all.

Maybe it needs a manual sport mode which it doesn't have... it may be that taking the console apart one might find a switch that can be shorted/opened... dunno.

The thing about the DSG imho is that there is no "slurring" like a slushbox. No case where revs rise out of step with acceleration. It is either in a gear or in another gear.  I like that... that's what makes it acceptable to me.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 10:18:15 am »
I vote for flappy paddles, but could easily live without. I think that if it works then it's good. Whatever makes the lap times lower.

As for DSG, I can't see any downsides in car like GTI or like. Tried it and liked it.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 10:45:07 am »
Plus I think the sound of the V8 blipping under every downshit would erase any issues about me not using my left foot.

We can blip the throttle ourselves you know...oh...maybe we don't.

Unless you're racing or can somehow discern 0.000003 of a second, the fact this is a question on here is silly.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 10:55:50 am »

So.  A modern really fast big car, in Ontario today.  DSG/DCT/F1.     But a small fast car, an Exige for instance then definitely a manual.  In NO CASE a slushbox automatic.

I have no problem with sequential paddle shifting transmissions with a real clutch (or two).  Not a whole lot different than a motorcycle.   
I just want to feel that solid connection from the engine to the drivetrain that gives instant response to throttle inputs.  I don't want to feel that elastic band winding up like in most automatics.
Mr Pickypants

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 11:00:57 am »

One thing for those of you who own one, is the reason that journo's find it a bit boring because the shifts are too smooth?  Would it feel more meaty if the shifts were stronger, or more jerky?

Give me a call next time you are in my neighborhood.

The shifts are smooth but I thought that was the point, perfect shifts. If I wanted clunky up/downshifts I'd do it myself.   ;D

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 11:16:52 am »

The shifts are smooth but I thought that was the point, perfect shifts. If I wanted clunky up/downshifts I'd do it myself.   ;D

That's fun part of manual for me.  The challenge of getting it right or learning to get better at it.  The grinding sound is a good feedback mechanism. 

If I were to win a Ferrari, I'm sure I can adapt to driving with paddles.    :)

Like boxers vs briefs.   Pick the one comfortable to you and enjoy.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 11:35:33 am »

Give me a call next time you are in my neighborhood.

LOL, will do!

Plus I think the sound of the V8 blipping under every downshit would erase any issues about me not using my left foot.

Unless you're racing or can somehow discern 0.000003 of a second, the fact this is a question on here is silly.

I just never seem to get the blip right, that's how I managed to do this:

:rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Mitlov

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 11:38:28 am »
For me, the point where you modulate the clutch as you let it out after shifting is probably the single moment when I feel the closest connection to the engine.  When I never experience this, I just feel more distant from the mechanics of the car.

I don't cast aspersions on people who prefer two pedals, but FOR ME, I would never want a "driver's car" without three.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 12:42:36 pm »
I've never driven a Ferrari or any car in that class.  As such, I'd like to try both options.  BUT, the poll said pick one and I agree that Ferrari has been associated with F1 for a long, long time so it makes sense to take advantage of their F1 heritage.  As a result, I picked the paddles.

BTW, I noticed that your poll's end date is one day before my birthday.  Coincidence?  Hmmm.  Just in case, remember:  paddles, not stick. :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2010, 08:26:04 pm »
ha ha, yes you win a Ferrari!

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2010, 11:15:01 pm »
I don't cast aspersions on people who prefer two pedals, but FOR ME, I would never want a "driver's car" without three.

I do...usually out of self-defence.

They feel the need to explain themselves to me for some reason.  They know it's typically an excuse...so then they take aim at ME and tell me I'm stupid for liking 3 pedals.   WTF?

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2010, 12:59:28 am »

I do...usually out of self-defence.

They feel the need to explain themselves to me for some reason.  They know it's typically an excuse...so then they take aim at ME and tell me I'm stupid for liking 3 pedals.   WTF?

Where you get the idea someone is calling you stupid for liking 3 pedals is beyond me. Certainly, and I can only speak for myself, I was just trying to explain why the F1 trannies are becoming much more popular, and manuals less so. I was definitely not saying anyone was a fool for wanting to have a manual. It's not an excuse either, it's just the facts of what's happening. As I stated on here before, I am on my 13th BMW, all 12 prior to this one have been manuals, and I love the BMW manual trannies. But, for me, it was time for something else, and I am very happy with my DCT tranny.

I think you are being a bit paranoid thinking that posters are saying you are stupid for wanting a manual tranny. It's usually manual drivers on forums that try to make other posters feel stupid, not vice-versa.

Come on, TopGun.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2010, 08:24:17 am »
Auto- manual- slow -fast

Who cares

As you get out, enjoy driving you car

That is the only thing that matters

But if you can fun of someone on a forum, that not bad either  ;D

DrJay

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2010, 10:28:12 am »
Auto- manual- slow -fast

Who cares

You had me right up to "That is the only thing that matters" after that .... not so much ... Funny how militant people can get about their views which is not a bad thing.  Just shows that "CAR" people are pretty passionate ... they like what they like and vocal about what they don't.  Which (I believe) is the whole point of these forums to hear both sides, share ideas and maybe learn sumthin'

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2010, 10:43:00 am »
Auto- manual- slow -fast

Who cares

You had me right up to "That is the only thing that matters" after that .... not so much ... Funny how militant people can get about their views which is not a bad thing.  Just shows that "CAR" people are pretty passionate ... they like what they like and vocal about what they don't.  Which (I believe) is the whole point of these forums to hear both sides, share ideas and maybe learn sumthin'

On here?!?  :rofl2: :rofl2:

DrJay

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2010, 11:05:04 am »
Auto- manual- slow -fast

Who cares

On here?!?  :rofl2: :rofl2:

Right...true enough .. my bad  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2010, 03:30:55 pm »

Don't get me wrong, I love the joy of heel and toeing and do it every chance I get.  I'm quite proficient at it but I'm not proficient and driving a high performance vehicle near the edge of it's limits.  I wager it would save me a lot of time and a lot of grief driving around a track because of the focus required.  Definitely more than 0.0000003 seconds.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2010, 03:36:08 pm »
58% Manual vs 42% Flappy Paddle so far.  Closer than I thought...

Mitlov

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2010, 03:41:54 pm »
58% Manual vs 42% Flappy Paddle so far.  Closer than I thought...

The gap used to be much bigger.  I think that the frequent-posting regulars are overwhelmingly three-pedal fans; the casual posters are perhaps 50/50, perhaps slightly in favor of flappy paddles, and that's why the gap started big but then narrowed.