Poll

Much hoohaa is said on here about auto vs manual vs dsg type transmissions.  And especially that you now can't get a new Ferrari with a manual 'box.  So my question is this, if you were buying a new Ferrari F430 which box would you (honestly) tick?

Manual
29 (60.4%)
Flappy Paddle F1 Style
19 (39.6%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: April 13, 2010, 01:19:42 am

Author Topic: Flappy Paddles?  (Read 12574 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Flappy Paddles?
« on: February 12, 2010, 12:19:42 am »
Even though I love the feel of a manual gear change (especially a Ferrari one), I would have a very very hard time deciding which one to choose.  The F1 'box makes you into an instant hero, with perfect blips on every downshift, it would be difficult to resist that...

:skid:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
Re: Flappy Paddles?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 12:31:38 am »
Even though I love the feel of a manual gear change (especially a Ferrari one), I would have a very very hard time deciding which one to choose.  The F1 'box makes you into an instant hero, with perfect blips on every downshift, it would be difficult to resist that...

:skid:

Agreed.  Have read several car reviews on various cars that have said the same thing. "You won't miss the manual" type comment.  IS-F, GT-R, Audi R8, Gallardo, any Ferrari, etc...

Is a very good paddle box better than a so-so or finicky manual?  Because some of the manuals in those high end cars are a bit finicky.  Heck, I've even heard about the manual in a BMW car referred to as "rubbery". 

Although I've almost always owned a manual, some of the paddles boxes are REALLY good now.  I guess if it's good enough for F1, it's good enough for me...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:34:41 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 12:35:28 am »
Stick shift and clutch peddle all the way.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 12:38:03 am »
Stick shift and clutch pedal all the way.

vdk

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 12:46:47 am »
Why would anyone pick the flappy paddles (besides impressing your friends and maybe because you can't drive stick but you're too afraid to admit it) in a car like that is beyond me. You won't drive it 20k/year in Toronto traffic - there's really no excuse.
A proper sports car like the F430 should only come with a manual transmission. Want a GT you can cruise around in and show off to your friends, there's the Continental GT etc.

Of course for guys with money and cohones there will always be the GT3. ;)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 01:07:30 am »
I love the DCT tranny on my M3....it makes the car so much more versatile. Easy going when you don't want to be Fangio; but wild and aggressive when you and the road are in tune. And I had manuals in all my previous BMWs.

I think a lot of ppl who have not driven a GOOD DCT-type (or F1 if you prefer) tranny don't really know how super they are. Not all of these trannies have been that good. The early SMG BMW trannies were so-so. But the new 7 speed, dual clutch is superb.

Some drivers are true hard-core manual users; others are just wanna-bes.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

vdk

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 01:26:40 am »
It's a Ferrari though not a Bimmer. Chances are it's the car you dreamed of when you were a kid. You're just not getting the full experience without a manual transmission no matter how fast they are.
I understand having an automatic in a DD. Not in a hardcore Ferrari meant to be driven 5k/yr.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 01:30:56 am »
It's a Ferrari though not a Bimmer. Chances are it's the car you dreamed of when you were a kid. You're just not getting the full experience without a manual transmission no matter how fast they are.
I understand having an automatic in a DD. Not in a hardcore Ferrari meant to be driven 5k/yr.

Good point, I was referring more to Paddles vs Manuals in more cars than just a Ferrari.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 01:38:03 am »

But they do it to emulate and use the technology from their F1 cars.  Ferrari is racing first..and this is racing technology.  I see both sides of the coin.

Mitlov

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 01:47:07 am »
I drove a MkV GTI with the DSG, and even though the MkV GTI is a vastly superior car to the MkIV Jetta 1.8T, I found it a lot less fun.  The DSG is better at shifting than I'll ever be but it's just so much less involving.

And if I want three pedals in my daily driver, what I want in a dedicated fun-only car is a no-brainer.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 02:01:18 am »
I drove a MkV GTI with the DSG, and even though the MkV GTI is a vastly superior car to the MkIV Jetta 1.8T, I found it a lot less fun.  The DSG is better at shifting than I'll ever be but it's just so much less involving.

And if I want three pedals in my daily driver, what I want in a dedicated fun-only car is a no-brainer.

That's just it though.  For some, "fun" is driving a manual and interacting as much as possible with the car.  For others, getting the quickest lap around a race track defines their "fun".

It was much the same when I was deciding on my Supra.  My heart said "get the manual", but since I would be racing it as much as possible, my brain said "get the auto".  In the end, I decided I wanted to win (or have the best shot possible) every time I went to the track.  Although it undoubtedly would have been fun rowing my own gears, being in the winner's circle accepting your trophy and prize money is also very, very fun  ;)

Mitlov

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 03:26:29 am »

That's just it though.  For some, "fun" is driving a manual and interacting as much as possible with the car.  For others, getting the quickest lap around a race track defines their "fun".

It was much the same when I was deciding on my Supra.  My heart said "get the manual", but since I would be racing it as much as possible, my brain said "get the auto".  In the end, I decided I wanted to win (or have the best shot possible) every time I went to the track.  Although it undoubtedly would have been fun rowing my own gears, being in the winner's circle accepting your trophy and prize money is also very, very fun  ;)

If you race--as in racing against other people--then of course you want something that will help you win.  If you only race against yourself and the clock, or you just enjoy spirited-but-non-competitive driving, involvement trumps performance-enhancing electronics.

I think you'd agree that people who race competitively are a small minority of drivers.  So while I understand your position, I also understand why it's not the majority opinion of this forum.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 06:31:47 am »
I'm not afraid to admit that I did select the paddles with my new Ferrari. Considering that I will tracking this car every chance I get I want to be able to get the best lap times that I can.

I'm also probably one of the few people that actually enjoy the DSG in my GTi and use it almost every time I drive. I find it funny how some people say its boring on non-involving but I find it a lot of fun coming off the hwy, banging off 4-5 perfect downshifts, then up through the gears on the way up the twisty road to only have to go hard on the brakes and nail more perfect downshifts. I'd never be able to be that good with a full manual.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 06:35:02 am »
I let u know after tonight's Lotto Max draw   :rofl:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 06:37:09 am »
I'd want to try them both and then pick the one I liked best.  I don't care what you want, I'm not some manual-trans snob that tries to raise my nose at someone for not choosing a manual transmission.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 06:48:05 am »
I'm not afraid to admit that I did select the paddles with my new Ferrari. Considering that I will tracking this car every chance I get I want to be able to get the best lap times that I can.

I'm also probably one of the few people that actually enjoy the DSG in my GTi and use it almost every time I drive. I find it funny how some people say its boring on non-involving but I find it a lot of fun coming off the hwy, banging off 4-5 perfect downshifts, then up through the gears on the way up the twisty road to only have to go hard on the brakes and nail more perfect downshifts. I'd never be able to be that good with a full manual.

I selected paddles as well.  I spent many happy  hours driving my boss's Ferrari in 1974 with its V12 and manual gearbox. FWIW I got to drive it as I lived in central London and he lived on the coast and my d/l was deemed ( by him) worth less, to him than his was should we get arrested for speeding or one too many beers at lunch...
30 years pass here with only manual gearboxes in many cars.
Now I have a DSG and after the first few months I find I only use the paddles/manual mode about once a month if that and even then just on a couple of particular corners where I want to be changed down before I get there rather than entering the corner with the transmission frantically changing from 6th to 2nd itself.

So.  A modern really fast big car, in Ontario today.  DSG/DCT/F1.     But a small fast car, an Exige for instance then definitely a manual.  In NO CASE a slushbox automatic.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 07:27:01 am »
I'd want to try them both and then pick the one I liked best.  I don't care what you want, I'm not some manual-trans snob that tries to raise my nose at someone for not choosing a manual transmission.
+1 on this.

I've never driven a Ferrari. Past Ferraris I've read about had less than great manual gearboxes. If it had a really wonderful manual I would choose it. If it wasn't perfect maybe I go with the paddels. The simple act of pusing down a padeal with my foot (clutch) doesn't make the drive more fun for me. I think that having both hands on the wheel, being able to pay mpore attetnion while I'm acelerating with the engine screaming might be more fuin thatn trying to get the shift just right.

Double clicking the paddles on my DSG for a computer controled two gear double clutch downshift is fun you need to try it to know.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 08:12:40 am »
I recently read an article in CAR magazine about the new 458 and the notion of paddles only didn't bother me at all.  This car has SOOOO much potential that I think having one less thing to worry about would be a blessing.  Of course, if I had a 458 (or 430) it's only purpose wouldn't be boulevard cruising.  I'd be violating my insurance policy as often as possible and taking it out on the track.  I'm not nearly a good enough driver to fully exploit the Ferrari and would prefer to be able to put more focus into driving.

Plus I think the sound of the V8 blipping under every downshit would erase any issues about me not using my left foot.

A Porsche?  Manual Please.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 08:19:41 am by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 09:15:07 am »
I recently read an article in CAR magazine about the new 458 and the notion of paddles only didn't bother me at all.  This car has SOOOO much potential that I think having one less thing to worry about would be a blessing.  Of course, if I had a 458 (or 430) it's only purpose wouldn't be boulevard cruising.  I'd be violating my insurance policy as often as possible and taking it out on the track.  I'm not nearly a good enough driver to fully exploit the Ferrari and would prefer to be able to put more focus into driving.

Plus I think the sound of the V8 blipping under every downshit would erase any issues about me not using my left foot.

A Porsche?  Manual Please.

:rofl2:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 09:25:34 am »
I haven't tried a VW DSG yet, I will definitely have to do this.

One thing for those of you who own one, is the reason that journo's find it a bit boring because the shifts are too smooth?  Would it feel more meaty if the shifts were stronger, or more jerky?