Author Topic: Made in Canada: 2010 Toyota Corolla LE and Honda Civic DX-G, Part two  (Read 18305 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Both of these Canadian-made compact sedans are proving to be capable performers in Ottawa’s sub-zero temperatures, despite the fact that the Civic DX-G doesn’t come with electronic stability control.  Heated seats would also be nice, say the authors.

Read More...

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
Re: Made in Canada: 2010 Toyota Corolla LE and Honda Civic DX-G, Part two
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 10:26:23 am »
From the article quote "with the Honda emerging as the top-selling compact car by a few percentage points each year), they’re close in price, and they both have great resale value."

You might have to fix this statement on them both having great resale value :rofl:
Reports have one of these OEM resale values dropping like a rock.

jacko

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 10:39:58 am »
although toyota have their gas pedal recalls and floor mat recalls right now, i would still buy a toyota over a honda anytime, any day, anywhere!

with the amount of problems i've had with my honda, forget it!
they look great and all, but when it comes to dependability, durability - toyota comes out on top.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 11:43:39 am »
From the article quote "with the Honda emerging as the top-selling compact car by a few percentage points each year), they’re close in price, and they both have great resale value."

You might have to fix this statement on them both having great resale value :rofl:
Reports have one of these OEM resale values dropping like a rock.

Great I'll be able to pick one up for a song in a couple of years. ;D
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

CatsEye68

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 11:54:57 am »
although toyota have their gas pedal recalls and floor mat recalls right now, i would still buy a toyota over a honda anytime, any day, anywhere!

You cannot buy a new 'Rolla anywhere right now, for any price. Sales are embargoed.

I'm astounded the authors made no reference to this.

b16vtec

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 12:21:42 pm »
Between the two, I would get neither.
I'd probably pick the Mazda 3, despite the Jokeresque front fascia. ;D

paul246

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 02:04:31 pm »

they look great and all, but when it comes to dependability, durability - toyota comes out on top.

My '99 Honda Accord has given me exactly ONE problem since I bought it new, and that mirror switch was replaced under warranty.

I think I'll be staying with Honda for the foreseeable future.

Canada Stig

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 02:15:33 pm »

My '99 Honda Accord has given me exactly ONE problem since I bought it new, and that mirror switch was replaced under warranty.

I think I'll be staying with Honda for the foreseeable future.

Yeah, but those Toyotas have amazing acceleration - with no effort from the driver!  Is this what they mean by "standard cruise control"?

All kidding aside, Toyota will come out of this OK.  It's all about how they manage it for the next few weeks, and I suspect they will do it right. 

Remember the Audi "unintended acceleration" problem from the 80s - now they are a premium brand competing with BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc and their R8 sports car is among the best in the world - competing with Porsche, Ferrari (and even the twin sister, Lamborghini) quite nicely.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 02:25:25 pm »
CStig - "Remember the Audi "unintended acceleration" problem from the 80s - now they are a premium brand competing with BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc and their R8 sports car is among the best in the world - competing with Porsche, Ferrari (and even the twin sister, Lamborghini) quite nicely."

True, in today's context; but don't forget that the "unint accel" problem of the 80s almost killed Audi in NA. That was almost 30 years ago now, and sure, Audi is fine now. But they were not fine for a few years after the big fiasco.

Toyota is facing a serious global problem of public perception today, likely the largest problem they have ever faced. They will get by it in time, I think, but the next couple years may not be to their liking. Their sales and profits will definitely shrink.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 03:11:16 pm »

You cannot buy a new 'Rolla anywhere right now, for any price. Sales are embargoed.

I'm astounded the authors made no reference to this.

Is there really a need to mention it?  So many other articles/threads have already fully covered it.  Just look at this thread.  It is already turning into a Toyota recall thread.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 03:22:24 pm »
Interesting review.

I owned a 2001 Civic DX-G from new and sold it last year. The engine was as sweet as the day is long. Interior items fell apart though. Under warranty the Honda dealer replaced a driver side door panel and 2 passenger side ones because the fabric was coming off it. When I sold the car both had the fabric falling off again. The headliner was coming apart at the back of the car as well.

The trannie died at 60000km but was replaced by Honda and the fuel/trunk release cable was replaced 3 times. Were these first year bugs?

Contrast this to my parent's loaded 2009 Corolla LE which has not had one issue yet. They are concerned about the recall but so far the car has been perfect for them.

The Civic I had was amazing on gas but the lack of sound deadening material wore on me as I used it for a sales vehicle for the last year that we owned it and it went from a city dweller to a primarily highway driven car. Lots of road and wind noice. My parent's Corolla? Like a "mini-Lexus". Nice and quiet and pefect for racking up the highway miles in comfort.

I would buy another HOnda but my current favs are the CRV and Fit. I would not hesitate to get another Toyota (we have a 2007 Yaris hatch right now).

Paul Barriscale

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 06:11:02 pm »
Grant & Paul,

Great review and an interesting perspective. Especially for two cars made right here in Canada. This following passage on the Honda Civic confused me however ...

"But if ESC and traction control are high on your list of desired features, you’ll have to wait for the 2012 model, by which time you’ll see an all-new Civic with government-mandated electronic stability systems."

I just checked the Honda.ca web site and for the 2010 model year, ESC with Traction Control is already available on the Civic EX-L, Civic Si and Civic Hybrid.

All good things,

Paul Barriscale
Vancouver, B.C.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 07:39:48 pm »
Grant & Paul,

Great review and an interesting perspective. Especially for two cars made right here in Canada. This following passage on the Honda Civic confused me however ...

"But if ESC and traction control are high on your list of desired features, you’ll have to wait for the 2012 model, by which time you’ll see an all-new Civic with government-mandated electronic stability systems."

I just checked the Honda.ca web site and for the 2010 model year, ESC with Traction Control is already available on the Civic EX-L, Civic Si and Civic Hybrid.

All good things,

Paul Barriscale
Vancouver, B.C.

Yes it was available but not on the Civic DX- G which was tested. Not on the base car I guess.

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 07:40:02 pm »
I don't like the current design of the Civic. I had one as a rental for 2 weeks. The interior plastics looked cheap, the door locks are too small and I don't like digital dashboards. I prefer analog gauges.

When you opened the window, the way the wind comes in was extremely annoying. Never experienced that in any other car.

The previous generation (2004-2005 were  better).

I would rather take the Toyota.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 07:43:22 pm by overtakeyouintheleftlane »

1 + 1 = ?

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 10:30:56 pm »
Personally own a honda civc EX-L and thinks its a great little car. Pretty much what i was looking for, gas mileage, practicality, roominess, looks decent and fun to drive. The only thing iam a little unsatisfy about is the price of the car. I think they overpriced it a little for the canadian market. But i guess most cars are, so personally not much to complain about the civic in my personal opinion.

Michael Blue

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 02:54:51 pm »
I was looking at both last fall, and in the end bought the Corolla, though CE (with Enhanced Convenience Package).  The major reason for selecting it was the price - similarly equipped Civic would be much more expensive, and I didn't have the money.  Now I wish I would have the Civic.  While Corolla is pleasant to drive, quiet and smooth, the seat comfort is terrible.  I'm a thin guy (6'2" and 180 pounds), and the seat cushion is too narrow - the side bolsters dig into my butt, making it very uncomfortable on longer drives.  Maybe if I had a big, fat-upholstered butt, I wouldn't feel the narrow seat cushion...  Unfortunately, this poor seat design didn't show up during the test drive - it took a few weeks of driving to sink in.  Also, there is no lumbar support.  One big advantage of Corolla over Civic might be the quietness.  While commuting to work it probably makes no difference, but on long drives it's nice to have a quiet car, and being able to listen to music, rather than the road noise.
If you're thinking about buying Corolla, check the comfort of the front seats with the understanding that if you feel suspicious pressure on your butt, it would get much worse later on...  Amazing that Toyota can't design a comfortable car seat, while even Hyundai can...

1dollar+work=millions

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 03:15:03 pm »
I was looking at both last fall, and in the end bought the Corolla, though CE (with Enhanced Convenience Package).  The major reason for selecting it was the price - similarly equipped Civic would be much more expensive, and I didn't have the money.  Now I wish I would have the Civic.  While Corolla is pleasant to drive, quiet and smooth, the seat comfort is terrible.  I'm a thin guy (6'2" and 180 pounds), and the seat cushion is too narrow - the side bolsters dig into my butt, making it very uncomfortable on longer drives.  Maybe if I had a big, fat-upholstered butt, I wouldn't feel the narrow seat cushion...  Unfortunately, this poor seat design didn't show up during the test drive - it took a few weeks of driving to sink in.  Also, there is no lumbar support.  One big advantage of Corolla over Civic might be the quietness.  While commuting to work it probably makes no difference, but on long drives it's nice to have a quiet car, and being able to listen to music, rather than the road noise.
If you're thinking about buying Corolla, check the comfort of the front seats with the understanding that if you feel suspicious pressure on your butt, it would get much worse later on...  Amazing that Toyota can't design a comfortable car seat, while even Hyundai can...

Very true in my opinion, i was very close in buying the corolla le instead of civic EX-L because of the price too. Also for quietness and softer springs, the corolla will be a bit better on the highway. I ended with civic because they had 0.9% finance for 5 years and can sacrifice quietness for sportiness of the car. 0.9% is close to borrowing for free, whereas toyota finance rate for 5 years was 3.9%. Iam glad i bought the civic EX-L, happy with the car and will be keeping it untill it cannot run no more.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 05:13:47 pm »
I'm a thin guy (6'2" and 180 pounds), and the seat cushion is too narrow - the side bolsters dig into my butt, making it very uncomfortable on longer drives.  Maybe if I had a big, fat-upholstered butt, I wouldn't feel the narrow seat cushion...  Unfortunately, this poor seat design didn't show up during the test drive - it took a few weeks of driving to sink in.

Well, I'm 6' and 155lbs and find the Corolla seats very comfy, even on long drives.  We found the Civic seats unbearable even after just an afternoon of testing the car.  Others are the opposite.

Michael Blue

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 08:54:28 am »
When I was shopping for the car, Honda had 7.8% financing, though they offered $2,500 off.
As to the seat comfort, my mother finds the seat comfortable.  I think that either small people
and/or people with really small butts fit within the narrow side bolsters just fine.  However,
people of average (and above) girth don't.  Seems like the seat was designed by Japanese
engineers and not really tested by people who live in Europe or NA.  So on one hand Toyota
adjusts the pedals to fit winter boots, adjusts the door pocket (I believe) to fit an ice scraper,
but on the other hand they ignore the seat comfort - go figure.  Another silly ergonomic booboo
is the driver's left elbow rest - when the seat is pushed all the way back (tall drivers), the driver's
left elbow is past the elbow rest so it can't be used...and the right elbow rest is hard plastic.
One wouldn't expect these stupid design quirks from an automaker that in some ways set the global
standards for making cars.

dennisdm

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 09:37:32 am »

Both cars are real good, if you want ride get the
Corolla, if you can stand the two foot deep mini van like dash and not being able to see any part of the front of the car get the Honda.