Author Topic: Sunco to close station in Ontario  (Read 11456 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Sunco to close station in Ontario
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 09:09:13 pm »
Correction on my doom and gloom posting about Sunoco 94.  According to a retailer that operates a "corporate store", it will be the same gas, just under a Petro Canada sign.  He added that Pioneer buy their gas from whomever they get the best price similar to Crappy Tire.  Doesn't know what the score will be with UPI, but can't see any changes.

Sunoco 94 has "up to" 10% ethanol. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 09:38:05 pm »
All gasoline sold in Ontario, Saskatchewan and Manitoba must contain a minimum average ethanol content of 5%, 7.5% and 8.5% respectively.

I believe in 2010, Ontario is going to E10

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 01:33:30 pm »
E10   therefore less "bang" ;).............ENERGY for our BUCK...................i notice the diff when i get Mille on Shell V Power...better mileage...small but noticeable.......I'm NOT anal enuf to put a micrometer ON IT............................. 8)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 12:35:00 pm »
So what is going to happen to 94?

Well there is Shell V-Power.

All they have to do if they are going to use that "label" is actually give me V-Power which is 100 in Europe or an equivalent of about 95 here.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

vdk

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 12:37:22 pm »
I wish they would use the real VPower gas and make it a marketing ploy.

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2010, 12:38:15 pm »
All gasoline sold in Ontario, Saskatchewan and Manitoba must contain a minimum average ethanol content of 5%, 7.5% and 8.5% respectively.

I believe in 2010, Ontario is going to E10

I thought the same.  However, on the front of the Shell pumps there is a label affixed that indicates the ethanol % by grade.  The V-Power (premium) is indicated as containing 0% ethanol?!?
Internal combustion thrust I trust

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2010, 04:22:21 pm »
The planned move to 10% was dropped in 2008
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 04:12:57 pm »
..as long as it gets my HEAL_I COPTER ta 60 in 6 seconds................ :rofl:

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2010, 05:39:51 pm »
Was really disappointed in the decision since I pretty much stick only to Sunoco to fill-up ever since I realized the difference between dirty Esso diesel and Sunoco. Plus it seems most of the Sunoco stations, especially all the new ones, have diesel pumps. I've HATED Petro-Canada... something about the chain, which is silly if the gas is the same (same company and source?). Still, don't know if I can see myself going to Petro... will have to see, and depends which locations get rebranded. Shell was going to be next on my list.

Upon reading that PR, converted my Performance Points to free gas last week. Have to feel bad for those independent operators.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 01:23:37 pm »
The response I got from Shell Canada after asking why the V-Power octane rating we get isn't at the same octane rating as the V-Power (100) that they sell in Europe, which in our octane rating method should be 95 as I stated to them.

In Canada the octane rating is the average of the RON and the MON ((R+M)/2) called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI) or Road Octane Number where in some other countries, like in Europe octane rating shown on the pump is the RON. Hence the octane rating shown in Canada are 4 to 5 points lower than the rating shown in some other countries for the same fuel.

Our highest on-road octane fuel is Shell V-Power with an AKI of 91.

Thanks Shell for something I already knew and stated in the e-mail to you.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2010, 01:42:03 pm »
The response I got from Shell Canada after asking why the V-Power octane rating we get isn't at the same octane rating as the V-Power (100) that they sell in Europe, which in our octane rating method should be 95 as I stated to them.

In Canada the octane rating is the average of the RON and the MON ((R+M)/2) called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI) or Road Octane Number where in some other countries, like in Europe octane rating shown on the pump is the RON. Hence the octane rating shown in Canada are 4 to 5 points lower than the rating shown in some other countries for the same fuel.

Our highest on-road octane fuel is Shell V-Power with an AKI of 91.

Thanks Shell for something I already knew and stated in the e-mail to you.

Nothing quite like a technical letter written by a sociology grad eh!.     Although... it would have been better to have pointed out that no cars sold in NA REQUIRE  100 RON gasoline as they come from the factory.  I must say I have never seen Euro V-power but I did rent a MB A-classe a few years back that only ran properly on Euro-98.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline roundupready

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2010, 03:16:08 pm »
Read in an article a few years back. A Shell spokesman claimed they'd never put ethanol in their VPower (top grade) gasoline.

I can't find the reference right now.
---------------------------
2013 328 xDrive
2010 Legacy 3.6R LTD
2005 Legacy GT 5EAT Stage 2

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2010, 04:40:52 pm »
Nothing quite like a technical letter written by a sociology grad eh!.

I was thinking a "form letter response".

Although... it would have been better to have pointed out that no cars sold in NA REQUIRE 100 RON gasoline as they come from the factory.

True and which is 95 in our numbers. I can understand the requirement there with cars operating at 200+ kph and more load on the engine. But there are other conditions that require a higher octane...at least as a safety buffer.

I run an air/oil cooled motorcycle in the Alps that sees its fair share of low speed (minimal cooling - higher cylinder head temperatures), lower RPM while twisting the throttle (loading) to drive out of some very steep hairpins.

The same goes for my air cooled Porsche. I prefer to run a higher octane to play it safe. As it stands, it needs 91 which is the best I can get here.

I must say I have never seen Euro V-power but I did rent a MB A-classe a few years back that only ran properly on Euro-98.

Most Shell stations carry 100. Other brands are Aral Ultimate 100, OMV 100, etc.

The 98 that you bought is known as Super Plus. 95 is their Super which is being phased out slowly.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2010, 04:42:43 pm »
Read in an article a few years back. A Shell spokesman claimed they'd never put ethanol in their VPower (top grade) gasoline.

I can't find the reference right now.

I heard the same thing from the person that sold me my Porsche. I use V-Power here, not just for the octane which is what other brands carry, but for the so-called additives, if you can believe their claims.

DrJay

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2010, 04:55:21 pm »
So where am I going to get my Gold Diesel from now on? did anyone mention a time line for these closures or re-badge? Are they dissapearing all-together or did someone buy em out? (forgive me i'm just catching up here)

vdk

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2010, 07:54:41 pm »
So where am I going to get my Gold Diesel from now on? did anyone mention a time line for these closures or re-badge? Are they dissapearing all-together or did someone buy em out? (forgive me i'm just catching up here)

Shell has premium diesel.

DrJay

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2010, 02:32:02 pm »

problem with that is where I live we have one shell station that doesn't sell diesel (this blows)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2010, 02:56:14 pm »
..that must be s HELL TURBO then.............

Offline 21Rouge

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Vibe; 15 TDI Golf Wagon
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2010, 03:13:42 pm »
I expect one of the competitors to take care of our 94 octane problem. There is a market for it. At least in big cities like Toronto.

I noticed that certain Petro Canada stations are advertising the availability of 94 octane gas. Is this a recent development i.e Petro Canada offering 94?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 03:35:52 pm by 21Rouge »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2010, 03:34:39 pm »

problem with that is where I live we have one shell station that doesn't sell diesel (this blows)

Shell at Edinburgh and Speedvale in G sells both regular diesel and V-power diesel... assuming you live where your profile  says, DrJay.