Author Topic: Shelby Cobra project  (Read 18785 times)

uwbrother

Shelby Cobra project
« on: January 18, 2010, 07:55:37 pm »
Hey guys,
1965 Shelby Cobra has been my dream car for as long as I remember.  Does anyone know how much a project starting from replica kit costs, assuming I am *not* doing much work myself?  Canadian dollar is high these days, so I am hoping that parts will be cheaper.  Am I better off buying one from ebay already built?  I am not into building, just love this car and have been dreaming about it for over a decade.

What other gotchas come with a car like this?  Can this be a daily driver?  Are insurance rates suicidal?  I am hoping someone here knows. 

thanks.
Z. 

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
Re: Shelby Cobra project
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 09:19:14 pm »
You know, the Interwebs are your friend...

$13,000

The basic MkIII Cobra parts list contains items as listed below. It is important to note that, with the exception of shocks, ball joints a battery, new tires and a paint job our kit – in combination with a single 1987 to 2004 V8 Mustang provides almost everything required to build a complete functional, full size replica of a street legal racing Shelby Cobra. We have provided a list of options not because you must purchase several of them in order to complete your car but because we recognize that individual owners may want to personalize their Cobra. 

http://www.westerncanadacobras.com/mk3-cobra/what-does-the-kit-contain/

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 10:05:58 pm »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 10:15:04 pm »
There is also Factory Five too, check out their forum for used ones.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 09:55:34 am »
from Alberta - http://www.halerconcepts.com/english/sumo.htm

Probably best buying one already built - just make sure you can import and register the one you want if its from the US (cheapest place likely) as kit car import rules are a little different.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 10:06:02 am »
From riv.ca

Kit cars

Kit cars are treated as vehicles whether they are imported assembled or unassembled in a kit.

Kit cars do not meet the import requirements for a U.S. Statement of Compliance (SOC) label, the 17-character vehicle identification number (VIN), or admissibility status. A kit car is not permitted entry unless it was assembled 15 years ago or more and the importer can submit proof of age, such as a registration document. The age of a kit car is determined by the date of assembly rather than the model year of the reproduction or the date of manufacture of a donor car. If in doubt, contact Transport Canada for a determination of the kit car’s admissibility.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 10:59:27 am »
It would cost a fortune to have someone else build one for you, so you  pretty much have to buy an assembled one.  Get one already on the road for less hassle.

Here's an example of what you're looking at.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/31794.html

PRICE REDUCED $ 37,500 Firm
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario Canada

Ford Cobra . Brand New, kit car, 428 Cobra Jet Motor, Aluminum Head & Intake, 4 wheel Disc Brakes, 4 Speed top loader with Hyd. Clutch, Ford 9" ,355 Posi, coilovers all 4 corners American Hildebrant style wheels, Pearl Orange paint with Escalade Pearl White Strips, Tan leather interior, detailed with Polished Aluminum, Powder coated Headers & Sidepipes, BFG T/A, Runs cool, comfortable & FAST.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 11:10:59 am »

Probably best buying one already built - just make sure you can import and register the one you want if its from the US (cheapest place likely) as kit car import rules are a little different.
:iagree:
Absolutely! You will never get the time, energy and $ out of the endeavor. Buy it built and from within Canada.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 11:29:47 am »

Wow...that's a cool car.  It would likely scare the hell out of me.  I really like the Daytona Coupes.

I wonder if you could drive this daily given it's generally Mustang mechanicals?

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 11:46:23 am »

Wow...that's a cool car.  It would likely scare the hell out of me.  I really like the Daytona Coupes.

I wonder if you could drive this daily given it's generally Mustang mechanicals?
Rain hitting your skin at around 60mph is like thousands of little needles. You would need a top at least on those days. Othere than that, why not?
Railton

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 04:19:59 pm »
From riv.ca

Kit cars

Kit cars are treated as vehicles whether they are imported assembled or unassembled in a kit.

Kit cars do not meet the import requirements for a U.S. Statement of Compliance (SOC) label, the 17-character vehicle identification number (VIN), or admissibility status. A kit car is not permitted entry unless it was assembled 15 years ago or more and the importer can submit proof of age, such as a registration document. The age of a kit car is determined by the date of assembly rather than the model year of the reproduction or the date of manufacture of a donor car. If in doubt, contact Transport Canada for a determination of the kit car’s admissibility.

So you can BUILD one in Canada though can't you?

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 05:15:21 pm »
Rain hitting your skin at around 60mph is like thousands of little needles. You would need a top at least on those days. Othere than that, why not?
Railton

Ya...and if you had the coupe, it'd be even better.

uwbrother

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 12:08:02 am »
Thanks everyone.

I did google the heck out of it, but did not find a decent cost.  I agree that buying one already built is likely the safest choice. I can always upgrade parts as necessary.

Now if I can just convince my wife that no vacations for 10 years is a good idea...

:)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 12:25:22 am by uwbrother »

uwbrother

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 12:24:45 am »
One more question...

How bad is insurance on these cars?  I currently have a 4-door 2002 VW Jetta 1.8T that I will sell, if I go down this route (do not need a commuter car anymore).  I know it's just guesstimate, but am I looking for something comparable?  2x?  3x?  5x?

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 12:33:13 am »
It would cost a fortune to have someone else build one for you, so you  pretty much have to buy an assembled one.  Get one already on the road for less hassle.

Here's an example of what you're looking at.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/31794.html

Ford Cobra . Brand New, kit car, 428 Cobra Jet Motor, Aluminum Head & Intake, 4 wheel Disc Brakes, 4 Speed top loader with Hyd. Clutch, Ford 9" ,355 Posi, coilovers all 4 corners American Hildebrant style wheels, Pearl Orange paint with Escalade Pearl White Strips, Tan leather interior, detailed with Polished Aluminum, Powder coated Headers & Sidepipes, BFG T/A, Runs cool, comfortable & FAST.

That is a decent price.

uwbrother

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 11:11:33 pm »
There's this one too. I hate where he put the CD player, but hey. He's asking $31k:

(sorry, I can't post links yet :(. It's on ebay)

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 05:46:14 pm »
Hey guys,
1965 Shelby Cobra has been my dream car for as long as I remember.  Does anyone know how much a project starting from replica kit costs, assuming I am *not* doing much work myself?  Canadian dollar is high these days, so I am hoping that parts will be cheaper.  Am I better off buying one from ebay already built?  I am not into building, just love this car and have been dreaming about it for over a decade.

What other gotchas come with a car like this?  Can this be a daily driver?  Are insurance rates suicidal?  I am hoping someone here knows. 

thanks.
Z. 

I own a Shelby Cobra replica and absolutely love it.  To answer some of your questions, I would say: 1) you probably cannot build a Cobra replica for less than it costs to buy a nice resale Cobra, so do it if you want the experience of building a car but not to save $$s; 2) you cannot import a kit car (assembled or unassembled) into Canada unless you can prove that it's at least 15 yrs old, and trust me, this is FAR easier said than done; 3) do not buy anything from eBay unless you've met the 15 year condition, or you'll be stuck with a car you can't bring home; 4) if you live in Ontario, I can tell you that home-built Cobras are practically uninsurable except through facility Association, but professionally built cars may qualify under one or two collector car programs, so you are right to consider this BEFORE buying (insurance varies by province); and 5) I wish my Cobra could be considered a daily driver -- it works just fine, but insurance restrictions prevent this type of usage, not to mention it attracts WAY too much attention to leave unattended in parking lots and whatnot.
"Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot." - George Carlin

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 07:03:34 pm »
Scarecrow, you have made the perfect case for having 2 sets of anal retentive bureaucrats burnt at the stake. The Feds and the Insurance people.

Your point 2. how do you PROVE that all the bits are 15 years old or do they only care about engine and chassis numbers?  I have read the rules about importing pieces of kit cars and those rules seem to be pretty obscure.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 07:18:13 pm »
I own a Shelby Cobra replica and absolutely love it.

:ttiwwp:

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 11:56:13 am »
Scarecrow, you have made the perfect case for having 2 sets of anal retentive bureaucrats burnt at the stake. The Feds and the Insurance people.

Your point 2. how do you PROVE that all the bits are 15 years old or do they only care about engine and chassis numbers?  I have read the rules about importing pieces of kit cars and those rules seem to be pretty obscure.

You are quite right: The rules on kit cars imports are not easy to sort out.  But I spent more than a year seriously researching all aspects of this -- importing, registering and insuring -- before buying my car, so I think I've got a handle on it.  Let's see if I can make it simple re: importing.

For completely assembled kit cars (incl. Cobras): The best way to prove the car's age is to have a state DMV-issued registration document that clearly identifies it as a "kit car" or "special construction vehicle," where the "model year" is the year+month the vehicle was completed and first registered for road use (i.e., 1995 MY or older).  Transport Canada considers a government-issued document like this to be the most credible.  However, many U.S. states register kit cars based on the year the engine was built (e.g., 1966 FE block), or the year the replica is meant to resemble, and in these cases you end up with the wrong kind of documentation (e.g., a 2005 Factory Five roadster being titled as a "1966 Cobra" which it clearly isn't).  I had managed to find a seller in New Hampshire who had a very nice 1986 Contemporary Classic Cobra with the correct state title, but ultimately I ended up buying a resale Cobra in Canada.

For unassembled kit cars: Transport Canada prohibits the importation and sale of new motor vehicles that do not meet federal safety standards, and this applies to unassembled kits as well.  On the other hand, it is legal to import car parts or what Transport calls "starter kits" for the home builder, provided you have obtained their written approval beforehand.  The key is that the "starter kit" cannot contain enough parts to be deemed a "motor vehicle."  And the problem is that Transport won't tell you in advance what can be included, or what must be excluded.  They sure don't make it easy for you.  Factory Five Racing and its official Canadian distributor, Western Canada Cobras (B.C.), have taken the time to sort this all out with Transport, which is why there are quite a few FFR "starter kits" coming into Canada and not too many other brands around (e.g., ERA Replicas, Kirkham, Superformance, etc.).

So, let's say you find someone selling a 15 year old Cobra kit that hasn't been completed yet (a project car that the seller has lost interest in).  Is this eligible under the 15 year rule?  Absolutely not.  The kit car has to have been 100% finished/completed/assembled at least 15 years ago.

I'm a frequent poster on many Cobra forums and have seen many fellow Canadians make some serious and costly mistakes, so I try to pass on what I've learned at every turn.  It is possible to realize the dream of owning a nice Cobra replica, but it's a bit of a minefield in Canada, and I encourage you to do your homework first to avoid nasty surprises.

Here's a photo of my Superformance Cobra replica, one of a handful of SPFs in Canada.  It's a top-quality replica, is visually identical to an original 427S/C, and uses many original components -- real Halibrand knock-off wheels, Smith gauges, Lucas switches, MotoLita steering wheel, etc.  Engine puts out 450-hp and car weighs 2400-lb.