Author Topic: Steering You Right: Snow rage  (Read 3633 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Steering You Right: Snow rage
« on: January 18, 2010, 04:03:14 am »
Forced to walk in the middle of a side street because of heavy snowbanks on the sidewalks, a pedestrian was honked at repeatedly by an irate motorist.  Does the pedestrian have grounds to call the police?  Lawyer Jordan Charness advises.
Read More...

Michael

Re: Steering You Right: Snow rage
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 10:03:34 am »
I think the point here is that pedestrians do not have the right to walk in the street. At least in Québec, pedestrians do NOT have the right of way at all times. I am an advocate of pedestrian rights, in fact, I stop at all pedestrian crosswalks (i.e. when they have the right of way) but I will not stop for those who decide to cross any which way. I never quite understood these folks who choose to walk down the middle of the road because the sidewalks are snow covered. Most of the time they walk with their backs to the traffic! Doesn't it make a whole lot more sense to walk slowly on the sidewalk than to attempt to share the road with vehicles, especially when the road surface is slippery???

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 11:07:33 am »
I think the point here is that pedestrians do not have the right to walk in the street. At least in Québec, pedestrians do NOT have the right of way at all times. I am an advocate of pedestrian rights, in fact, I stop at all pedestrian crosswalks (i.e. when they have the right of way) but I will not stop for those who decide to cross any which way. I never quite understood these folks who choose to walk down the middle of the road because the sidewalks are snow covered. Most of the time they walk with their backs to the traffic! Doesn't it make a whole lot more sense to walk slowly on the sidewalk than to attempt to share the road with vehicles, especially when the road surface is slippery???

While I agree in principle, you are making some assumptions that are too general in nature.  Here are but two points to consider:

1)  Not all roads in have sidewalks.  Simply drive through Beaconsfield, Baie d'Urfe or Kirkland suburbs of Montreal to see examples.  A couple of winters ago, some of these roads were reduced to one lane country roads due to snow cover.

2)  Snow covered sidewalks can be just as icy, if not more so, than the streets.  In many cases, I have seen city crews make sure that the roads are as ice free as possible while doing little or nothing for the sidewalks.  Even if they do put some salt or abrasives down, the runoff from the lawns causes the sidewalks to freeze over.  Remember, most sidewalks are slanted to the road, probably for drainage reasons.  The problem then becomes one of an icy surface literally forcing people onto the street!

In short, while I too would prefer if pedestrians would use the sidewalks exclusively, it is not always possible.  I too have been forced to walk on the roadway, albeit in safer manner than most people it seems.  I walk in the opposite direction of traffic whenever possible so as to keep an eye on errant vehicles coming my way.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 03:37:38 pm »
A little "toot" and rolling down the window with "hey, dude, I'm going to go around you" would have done.  No need to get out of the SUV and get all ragey.  Christ, people have become nothing but a bunch of selfish a$$holes, and it seems to be rising in terms of socio-economic status.

I have two distinct groups of students, one is very low in terms of socio-economic status.  Sure, they're difficult to motivate for many reasons, but they're incredibly respectful.  My "high-end" students feel entitled to whatever they want (which their parents normally provide) and can't understand why the rest of the world hasn't seemed to clue into the "we get everything we want, when we want" rules they live by.

It used to be that if I were going to be tailgated, cut off, or whatever, it was typically someone driving a bit a wreck.  Now it's $60K pick-ups and SUV's.

Jody

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 12:58:31 am »
I know the guy was being a jerk, but would it have been so hard to step aside for a second facing him so he could drive bye????  ???

Offline robsaw

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 02:03:13 am »
Sounds like there is more to this story - one jerk vs another.

Mike

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 10:12:31 pm »
Think about it guys... you're driving down the road when you see a pedestrian who's right in the middle of it. You honk at him/her (different cars have different horns, so an SUV horn may sound "less polite") and instead of moving over, the pedestrian gives you the finger. Of course I'd be pissed off.

Couldn't he move over and let the car pass or does he expect the SUV to follow him?

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 10:34:40 pm »
Think about it guys... you're driving down the road when you see a pedestrian who's right in the middle of it. You honk at him/her (different cars have different horns, so an SUV horn may sound "less polite") and instead of moving over, the pedestrian gives you the finger. Of course I'd be pissed off.

Couldn't he move over and let the car pass or does he expect the SUV to follow him?

Hey if you give him a ride, you can take him off the road.