Author Topic: Inside Story: 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ  (Read 10433 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Inside Story: 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ
« on: January 14, 2010, 07:35:26 am »

A more modern and European-inspired cabin than GM interiors of the past, the new Chevy Equinox’s roomy cabin impressed interior reviewer Michael Clark with its many cool and useful features.  Criticisms were few.

Read More...

elcee

Re: Inside Story: 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 09:43:37 am »
km per tank means nothing to me. 2000 km on a tank of 200 litres is 10 litres per 100 km. I KNOW THE TANK ON THIS SUV IS NOT 200 LITRES BUT IT IS JUST TO MAKE A POINT THAT LITRES PER 100 KM IS WHAT MATTERS.
I would take a Tiguan.

my two cents

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 03:31:15 pm »
This is one heavy car for it's 4 cyl engine, overall MPG a dismal 22 real world driving.  The Equinox resembles the outdated and discontinued Saturn Vue, a clone if you asked me.   ???

Bob Jones III

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 10:39:39 pm »
European?  I don't think so.  That interior is hideous.  Very low class.  It looks like the Camaro, and looks cheap to boot.

my two cents

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 11:52:10 pm »
It appears the Equinox is another poor re-run/sequel of the discontinued short lived Saturn Vue. :'(

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 12:21:04 am »
Ahh the troll of all trolls.  You can't let it go that Chevy has produced a winner.  I think you need to use Google and lookup the definition of rebadge.  Because according to you, a foot shorter Suv, with different engines, completely different interior and exterior is a rebadge.  I guess the Honda Insight is a rebadge of a fit.

Bryan

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 01:59:53 am »
Sounds like the reviewer had a pretty good experience with the vehicle. It pretty much reflects my impressions as a 2 month owner now.

And, yeah, those initial comments are pretty suspect.
I own an Equinox, (and moved from a BMW so I'd like to think I can comment on fit, function and handling) and so far I am extremely impressed. I got the 4 cylinder for the gas savings. As a downside, real world gas mileage ranges between 24 and 26 miles per gallon. If I just measure Highway mileage, I can definitely average over 30 miles per gallon for the trip, but it definitely is a bit of an art form to keep the average MPG over 30. Plus I have a heavy foot since people tend to love to cut me off in this vehicle.

The only other downside is what I feel is a pretty big blind spot in the rear quarters. The 4-cylinder engine is enough to get the job done. It's not extremely smooth under merging acceleration (you kind of have to stomp on it to really make it go), but it does go once it goes. I basically keep it in ECO mode all the time since the potential gas savings is why I purchased this vehicle.

The vehicle feels well planned out and this will be our reliable family carrier until BMW, Audi, or even VW comes up with a respectable performing competitor that pulls down excellent gas mileage. As of now, Mazda and even Hyundai, (hell, even KIA) have compelling vehicles in this segment. The europeans have been sitting on exceptional TDI technology for a good while now. Time for them to throw the 4 cylinder TDI in their entry level CUVs. In this case, they waited way too long. Tiguan mileage is laughable, as is Toureg's. The Audi and BMW's just cost too much for the low mileage. BMW released their TDI sedan that is exactly the ticket, but it costs too much. Throw that engine in a better looking redesigned X3 (or X1), and they'll definitely have a winner.

Ben1004

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 10:21:44 am »
I agree w/ Bryan
CUV and Diesel are perfect for each other.   
Europe and Asia have had this combination for many years now and the sales figures prove it.   I was considering the Jetta TDI wagon but I prefer the high sitting position of SUVs so I am just waiting.   TDI in the Tiguan would be perfect as would diesel in any other CUV in the market.   

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 01:09:24 pm »
A buddy of mine's dad bought one of these so it'll be interesting to get the reviews on how its going. If the SRX and Vue are not built on this same platform then they should have gone to better lengths to make them look different.

40k though seriously!? Wow lots out there in that price range. Highlander, Pathfinder, even the full framed Explorer (v6 only mind you) I think makes that cutoff. In fact I'd rather the Chevy Traverese which bases at what $36k? Get that elctro-whizbang crap out of there and give me the extra space. That said I hope it does well for GM - they really need to start getting some good news.

If anyone cares my 2WD V6 Tucson is averaging 21MPG city / 27MPG Hwy (some of that with a roof carrier). Thats over the roughly 3 years that I've owned it so far - so summer/winter combined.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

GM convert

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 05:44:20 pm »
My wife recently got one of these as a company vehicle. 

It's AWD, LT1 package with the v6.  I will freely admit that I've never been a GM fan.  However, this Equinox has left me very impressed.  The vehicle handles very well (the v6 comes with 18" wheels), and the fit and finish is far and above the GM of just a few years ago.  Gone are the big rubbery dash buttons and dated interior styling.  I think the exterior is one of the nicer looking out there right now, too (unlike the corporate twin, the Terrain, which I think is ugly on the outside).

Dependability will remain to be seen.  Hopefully, it's improved as much as the design and execution of the vehicle itself.

My class favourite prior to the 2010 'Nox was the CRV.  I can honestly say that if I was looking right now, I'd certainly pick the Equinox.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 05:57:54 pm »
If anyone cares my 2WD V6 Tucson is averaging 21MPG city / 27MPG Hwy (some of that with a roof carrier). Thats over the roughly 3 years that I've owned it so far - so summer/winter combined.
I do not care
That is pretty shitty mileage

Leviathan

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 06:43:40 pm »
That said I hope it does well for GM - they really need to start getting some good news.
They're selling these things as fast as a 3 shift plant can spit them out. Is that not good news?

Mitlov

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 06:51:02 pm »
It's funny how the review itself is pretty glowing, saying good things about interior fit-and-finish and even praising the fuel economy in the context that the test was in "the deadest of the dead of winter," but the comments are overwhelmingly negative.

Leviathan

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 06:54:54 pm »
It's funny how the review itself is pretty glowing, saying good things about interior fit-and-finish and even praising the fuel economy in the context that the test was in "the deadest of the dead of winter," but the comments are overwhelmingly negative.
Well, ignore that 2% feller. Actual Equinox owners checking in seem to be pretty happy.

Leviathan

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 06:57:00 pm »
40k though seriously!?
If you don't like $40K pricing don't get the top-of-the-line LTZ model  ::)

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 07:33:27 pm »
That interior's not my cup of tea but I too am glad GM seems to have a product people want in this vehicle.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

my two cents

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 07:51:57 pm »
Ahh the troll of all trolls.  You can't let it go that Chevy has produced a winner.  I think you need to use Google and lookup the definition of rebadge.  Because according to you, a foot shorter Suv, with different engines, completely different interior and exterior is a rebadge.  I guess the Honda Insight is a rebadge of a fit.

You just don't declare yourself a winner, the Saturn Vue Repeat (Equinocks) had a terrible start and failed at the end.  Only after long term ownership and reliability history can you really declare the Vue Repeat a success.  Till then, GM will continue to pay for the sins of their fathers.

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 09:35:14 am »

You just don't declare yourself a winner, the Saturn Vue Repeat (Equinocks) had a terrible start and failed at the end.  Only after long term ownership and reliability history can you really declare the Vue Repeat a success.  Till then, GM will continue to pay for the sins of their fathers.

So you can support and cheerlead for Hyundai and Kia who have probably the worst reputation in the industry for reliability and long term ownership.  I'm not declaring the Equninox the winner, it's the media who in large have written that it is now equal to the class leaders.  Pick up a magazine for God's sake and learn something.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 10:27:47 am »

So you can support and cheerlead for Hyundai and Kia who have probably the worst reputation in the industry for reliability and long term ownership.  I'm not declaring the Equninox the winner, it's the media who in large have written that it is now equal to the class leaders.  Pick up a magazine for God's sake and learn something.

I'm sorry Mozeby but that first sentence couldn't be more untrue. Can't believe you're telling other people to pickup a magazine and read something. Where have you been the last 5 years? Hyundai is way above the domestics (except Ford maybe) and well, everyone is above Chrysler/Dodge.

airbalancer: the statement was rhetorical - for comparison purposes of any people who might be trying to figure out real-world mileage of this Equinox vs. competition. Thanks for contributing something useful to the thread though.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 10:30:06 am »
your welcome ;D