Author Topic: 2010 Ford Taurus SHO; Day 1  (Read 30476 times)

markathome

Re: 2010 Ford Taurus SHO; Day 1
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2010, 11:52:53 am »
I have to agree, seems expensive, until you start comparing it to the competitors that offer 365HP, AWD, and all the technology.
But, seems to be selling well here in the states, dealers can hardly keep regular Taurus on the lot and the SHO is still a rarity.

Any reports on how well the AWD is working out in the snow?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 11:55:41 am by markathome »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2010, 12:03:07 pm »
Speaking of luxury features, I was surprised to see that the SHO comes with massage seat(s), cooled seats, heated steering wheel, and retractable/power rear sunshade. You certainly don't see these things on many (if any) cars below $50K.
Keep in mind that some current luxury cars over $50K don’t even have auto headlights.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2010, 12:42:56 pm »
Have we determined that the SHO is even in the same size department as the 3 series?! Taurus seems awfully big.

I would buy this thing at 40k no questions asked! Maybe a visit to the states in a year or two wouldn't be such a bad idea. Anyone know for sure if Ford warranties US purchased cars?
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2010, 04:02:27 pm »
WOW, TOO PRICEY FOR A FORD!  :o
sorry but for the same amount of money you can get more from other better car makers ie bmw, mercedes, lexus etc

How do you define better? Mercedes has dismal reliability compared to Ford. I suspect that a new 15-20K Kia  also has better reliability that Mercedes

However, I agree with the posters who say that a 50K Taurus is a problem.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

pcurve

« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2010, 06:06:38 pm »

Underneath all the gizmos, this $51k car is engineered to a $30k price point.  

How did you determine that? Based on the starting MSRP for the base Taurus?
If so, by the same token, the BMW 3 Series is engeineed at $35K price point, but a fully loaded 335xi can go as high as $65K so what a hell is BMW thinking, right?

Just curious ....

yes it's based on base MSRP.

BMW does get criticized by people all the time about their ridiculous option pricing.  And most people do not option up their BMW to the nth degree.  Why spend $50k US on a 3 series when you can get a 5 series?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2010, 06:13:12 pm »
Actually it is nearly impossible to get a base model BMW.  Most do pay $50k for a 3-series and $70k for a 5-series.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2010, 08:08:20 pm »
The only other direct and realistic competitors for the SHO are Genesis V8 and 300C AWD. What other mainstream, full-size, 350+ hp sedans are out there?
How does this car compare price wise with these other cars when similarly equipped?

EDIT: They are all around $50K MRSP.

Not even IMO: the 300C is just not in the same league of the SHO. Just a few minutes behind the steering wheel will convince anyone; the SHO is so much more refined. The other vehicle that is (ironically) a close competitor is the Lincoln MKS which is a better value for the $$$ at that price level (and weight!).

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2010, 09:26:59 am »
I think it's a nice car underneath it all.  It has all the right things to make for a great car.  It's the styling that puts me off.  I really don't car if a car can do 0-60 in 4 flat.  If it doesn't look good or attractive, then who cares.  Last years Pontiac G8 GXP (which I doubt there's a lot of) looked much better on the outside, performed better in every category, and was RWD.  Ford's been advertising the ecoboost as having V8 power with V6 economy, but like all other turbo motors, that's hardly the truth.  They all end up burning fuel just like a bigger engine.  Basically, if it makes V8 power, it's gonna burn fuel like a V8.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2010, 10:22:11 am »
I think it's a nice car underneath it all.  It has all the right things to make for a great car.  It's the styling that puts me off.  I really don't car if a car can do 0-60 in 4 flat.  If it doesn't look good or attractive, then who cares.  Last years Pontiac G8 GXP (which I doubt there's a lot of) looked much better on the outside, performed better in every category, and was RWD.  Ford's been advertising the ecoboost as having V8 power with V6 economy, but like all other turbo motors, that's hardly the truth.  They all end up burning fuel just like a bigger engine.  Basically, if it makes V8 power, it's gonna burn fuel like a V8.

I don't really see the G8 as a competitor. No AWD and they're after a different crowd in my opinion. G8 is much more boy-racerish whereas the new Taurus is much more upscale/sophisticated.

my two cents

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2010, 11:04:05 am »
Ford completely missed the mark with the SHO.  It is overpriced by about $25K. 

Which other 365hp, twin turbo, awd, full sized sedan are you comparing it with to come to that conclusion?

The Taurus name is clearly remembered as a rental fleet mainstay car......cheap, cheap, cheap, can it shake off it's cheap rental car image?  Not in 10 years.

No one has gotten away with just slapping a turbo on a cheap car that has a rental car stigma attached to it, and declare itself as a luxury car with a $51K plus taxes sticker.  Nobody buys thats, a cheap rental car just doesn't wake up one morning and delusional thinks "I'm now a BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infinity."  You can cut open the hood, install a huge engine blower in the car, but at the end of the day, it is still the same old rental car.  If it looks, talks, and walks like a duck, it is a cheap rental car.

p.s. lay of the booze, just maybe you can see better and think clearly.  :o

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2010, 11:27:00 am »
I don't think Ford was ever trying to sell a lot of these. They are a halo car they could make easily with limited resources. As such it makes a huge amount of sense, far better than pouring money they don't have into totally new designs. Lutz take note.

The fact they are selling far more than they thought they would has to be very sweet.

my two cents

« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2010, 11:55:54 am »
I don't think Ford was ever trying to sell a lot of these. They are a halo car they could make easily with limited resources. As such it makes a huge amount of sense, far better than pouring money they don't have into totally new designs. Lutz take note.

The fact they are selling far more than they thought they would has to be very sweet.

:think:
A carmaker plans not to sell them......Huh?  :banghead:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2010, 02:01:48 pm »
These cars have a HUGE tuning potential (as with any turbo car). Stock, they're putting down about 300HP/300TQ to the wheels.  A tune on a 100% stock SHO, they're running 13.1s.  With an intake and exhaust, they're running 12.7s.  Doing the reverse math, that well over 400HP (420HP or so) at the crank.

Fun!!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2010, 02:16:27 pm »
Ford completely missed the mark with the SHO.  It is overpriced by about $25K. 

Which other 365hp, twin turbo, awd, full sized sedan are you comparing it with to come to that conclusion?

The Taurus name is clearly remembered as a rental fleet mainstay car......cheap, cheap, cheap, can it shake off it's cheap rental car image?  Not in 10 years.

No one has gotten away with just slapping a turbo on a cheap car that has a rental car stigma attached to it, and declare itself as a luxury car with a $51K plus taxes sticker.  Nobody buys thats, a cheap rental car just doesn't wake up one morning and delusional thinks "I'm now a BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infinity."  You can cut open the hood, install a huge engine blower in the car, but at the end of the day, it is still the same old rental car.  If it looks, talks, and walks like a duck, it is a cheap rental car.

p.s. lay of the booze, just maybe you can see better and think clearly.  :o

By your metrc, the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and Subaru WRX are basically econocars with turbos and AWD thrown at them.

Furthermore, the current and previous Taurus/500 are based on the Volvo S80 platform, not nearly a cheap platform. Nothing at all in common with the previous mid sized Taurus.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2010, 06:46:59 pm »
More words of wisdom from 2 cents.  So what's that make the Hyundai Genesis?  Another cheap rental fleet car with a big engine and leather interior. It is a Hyundai, how dare they make a 40K+ car.  If this car (the Taurus) had a different name, what would be your argument?   

Being a Ford, you can expect a lot of room to haggle and lower the price significantly.  I wouldn't be surprised if someone were able to get this car in the low 40's.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2010, 08:41:18 pm »
These cars have a HUGE tuning potential (as with any turbo car). Stock, they're putting down about 300HP/300TQ to the wheels.  A tune on a 100% stock SHO, they're running 13.1s.  With an intake and exhaust, they're running 12.7s.  Doing the reverse math, that well over 400HP (420HP or so) at the crank.

Fun!!

Only reason to get an SHO  @ previous enjoyed pricing, and show up as the ultimate sleeper.

my two cents

« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2010, 09:37:47 pm »
More words of wisdom from 2 cents.  So what's that make the Hyundai Genesis?  Another cheap rental fleet car with a big engine and leather interior. It is a Hyundai, how dare they make a 40K+ car.  If this car (the Taurus) had a different name, what would be your argument?   

Being a Ford, you can expect a lot of room to haggle and lower the price significantly.  I wouldn't be surprised if someone were able to get this car in the low 40's.

Exactly, your opionion towards the Genesis it is exactly the way the Taurus is viewed, cheap car brands.  Ford by no means can compete with the Luxury brands.  Ford sedans are largely viewed as trailing Toyota and Honda in the desireability factor.  Some may argue Hyundai and Kia have already surpassed Ford and GM brands. 

:light:  See Mozeby you agree with me, the SHO will have to be discounted in order to sell.  IT IS OVERPRICED. :popcorn:

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2010, 10:36:42 pm »

Exactly, your opionion towards the Genesis it is exactly the way the Taurus is viewed, cheap car brands.  Ford by no means can compete with the Luxury brands.  Ford sedans are largely viewed as trailing Toyota and Honda in the desireability factor.  Some may argue Hyundai and Kia have already surpassed Ford and GM brands. 

:light:  See Mozeby you agree with me, the SHO will have to be discounted in order to sell.  IT IS OVERPRICED. :popcorn:

Yet the Taurus has been outselling the Maxima, Avalon, Genesis sedan etc.

Your ideas on brand perception are outdated. Consumer Reports' polling show Ford behind Toyota (first overall), but ahead of Honda (third overall).

Consumer Reports

Mitlov

« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2010, 12:54:54 am »
Consumer Reports

I think it's remarkable that Mazda comes in nearly last in brand perception.  Is there something that the mass-market "knows" that enthusiasts don't?  (Mazda got a 13 for brand perception; the top three were Toyota at 196, Ford at 141, and Honda at 135).

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2010, 10:00:48 am »
Yet the Taurus has been outselling the Maxima, Avalon, Genesis sedan etc.

Your ideas on brand perception are outdated. Consumer Reports' polling show Ford behind Toyota (first overall), but ahead of Honda (third overall).

Consumer Reports

Interestingly, Chevrolet is number 4 (132), just a tick behind Honda, but well ahead of Volvo, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Subaru and Lexus (all in the 80's). Go figure!
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons