Author Topic: Chrysler Delta  (Read 6023 times)

vdk

Re: Chrysler Delta
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 11:28:15 am »
Oh sure, NOW they decide to bring over Lancia. ;D
:rofl2:

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 08:41:08 pm »
The grille from your link is what tells me it is a chrysler. Such as the older 300M  and the latest 300.

The Chrysler grille is a rounded rectangle--small on the 300M (which, for the record, I also thought looked cheap) and big on the current 300 (which looks great in my opinion).  This is a small rounded pentagon, which REALLY doesn't work for me.  It's a Lancia grille with a Chrysler badge.  A few Lancias for you:

yes these pictures you have posted are lancia ,but the first link of the Chrysler Delta show a different grille from these.The bars in the Delta grille go across which is similar to a Chrysler grille while the other ones you show are Lancia bars going up and down.  Just saying it's not totally a Lancia grille.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 08:46:44 pm by Seafoam »
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Mitlov

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 11:48:07 pm »
yes these pictures you have posted are lancia ,but the first link of the Chrysler Delta show a different grille from these.The bars in the Delta grille go across which is similar to a Chrysler grille while the other ones you show are Lancia bars going up and down.  Just saying it's not totally a Lancia grille.

I was talking about the shape of the grille, not whether it's filled with a waterfall, a diagonal grid, a horizontal/vertical grid, a hexagonal grid, etc.  Putting a grid inside of a pentagon doesn't make it a Chrysler grille, because Chrysler has not used a pentagonal grille ever before to my knowledge, and a grid inside of a distinctively-shaped grille is not at all unique to Chrysler.  It's the overall grille shape that generally defines the brand identity (inverted triangle for Alfa, nostrils for BMW and Pontiac, large rounded rectangles for new Audis, etc), not what fills in the space inside that overall shape.

DrJay

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 09:42:44 am »

I was talking about the shape of the grille, not whether it's filled with a waterfall, a diagonal grid, a horizontal/vertical grid, a hexagonal grid, etc.  Putting a grid inside of a pentagon doesn't make it a Chrysler grille, because Chrysler has not used a pentagonal grille ever before to my knowledge, and a grid inside of a distinctively-shaped grille is not at all unique to Chrysler.  It's the overall grille shape that generally defines the brand identity (inverted triangle for Alfa, nostrils for BMW and Pontiac, large rounded rectangles for new Audis, etc), not what fills in the space inside that overall shape.

Lets not forget the space between the two bumpers.... :stick:

Mitlov

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 07:12:00 pm »
Lancia Delta caught testing in Michigan; the Chrysler Delta appears to be a foregone conclusion and not just a one-off auto show stunt.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/05/lancia-delta-tests-in-michigan-will-it-become-a-chrysler.html

I posted the Lancia Delta interior before and I'm going to post it again.  Please, Chrysler, leave the interior alone.  It'll be a first for a long time (first ever?) that a Chrysler would have a segment-leading interior:

And while the Delta looks odd with the two-tone paint scheme that the Detroit tester has, it's handsome in a solid color:

« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 07:15:43 pm by Mitlov »

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 10:52:57 am »
Cool.  That would give them a good entry in that market.  Would they replace the Caliber with this thing?

Mitlov

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2010, 11:02:58 am »
Cool.  That would give them a good entry in that market.  Would they replace the Caliber with this thing?

I think they'd replace the now-ancient PT Cruiser with this thing.  People say Americans don't buy hatchbacks, but the PT Cruiser has been an exception to the rule.  The Delta fits particularly well with Chrysler's image if they call it the Airflow, which I've been campaigning on the internet for them to do ;)

I don't know what they're planning to do with Dodge in terms of a compact car.  In order for the Delta to fit with Dodge, it'd need both a substantial restyling job and some decontenting to bring the price down.  The Delta is definitely a more natural fit with Chrysler than with Dodge.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2010, 11:38:47 am »
I'd love to see ChryCo bring over the Fiat Punto to replace the Caliber. 
Probably a bit too small to replace a Caliber, but still...

Especially this particular version:      :drool:

http://www.lincah.com/search/fiat+grande+punto+abarth+2009

Mitlov

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 11:43:40 am »

The Punto is a B-segment car, not a C-segment car like the Caliber.  So they might bring it over, not to replace the Caliber, but instead to do battle with the Fiesta and Fit.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2010, 11:47:52 am »
That's what the 500 is suppose to do.

Rumour has it Chrysler is either bringing nothing... or a lot of car :rofl:

They really have to do something though, they can't sell their current lineup much longer.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2010, 11:51:10 am »

The Punto is a B-segment car, not a C-segment car like the Caliber.  So they might bring it over, not to replace the Caliber, but instead to do battle with the Fiesta and Fit.

Yes, probably the Bravo would me a more likely Caliber replacement, but I think it rides on the same platform as the Delta ??

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2010, 11:51:47 am »
I don't want to put a damper on things. Lancia are always been nghtmare to own and run. TBH they rubbish. Lovely to look at. I'm not how this going to help Chrysler. Fiats are so so too. I won't touch either cars.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2010, 12:01:04 pm »
What I don't understand is what Chrysler is doing?  What is there to "test"  Make sure it passes our safety and emissions requirements then SHIP IT!

There is no need for a lengthly development cycle the car is already production ready. 

Chrysler is in horrible shape, driving one right now (the routan...) has had me notice them on the road.  All square looking junk mobiles OMG, I can't believe people buy these things (Charger, sebring, caliber)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2010, 12:05:56 pm »
Lancia had lost its way years ago design wise at least in my eyes. I used to like their cars, Delta included, 15-20 years ago (same story with Seat).
Those bubbly faces/grills don't do it for me. They look like a Chinese knock-off of another car.
Grande Punto is OK, but nothing special. It would be a novelty in North America for a little while more than anything.
Also, combining Chrysler and Fiat reliability reputation, it would provide another no-no reason for me.

I'd look at Alfa though, although they will be premium and I'm not sure I'm sold to their new look. I love the current 159, one of my all-time favorites.

Mitlov

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2010, 12:45:04 pm »
What I don't understand is what Chrysler is doing?  What is there to "test"  Make sure it passes our safety and emissions requirements then SHIP IT!

There is no need for a lengthly development cycle the car is already production ready. 

Who said it was lengthy testing?  This is one tester spotted on one occasion, not months and months of testing.  I suspect they did have to tweak FI mapping or exhaust to meet US emissions requirements  and chassis structure to make it meet US safety requirements.  Once that was done, they're doing a bit of testing to make sure that the new FI mapping doesn't cause stalling (Forte SX) or unintended acceleration, and to make sure that the slight changes in weight distribution from the additional safety structure doesn't cause unintended consequences in handling (Lexus GX).

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2010, 02:20:16 pm »
They probably also must ensure that their fisher price plastics hold up :P

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2010, 02:24:22 pm »
What I don't understand is what Chrysler is doing?

Treading water.

In April, 40% of Chrysler sales were FLEET.  All financing is thru Obama Motor's GMAC.  In the next few months Obama Motors is going to change the name of GMAC to "xxxx" Bank.  Starts with an "A", just can't remember the name.  That way the FED can pump more $$$ into it without the bad headlines.

Mitlov

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2010, 02:46:31 pm »
They probably also must ensure that their fisher price plastics hold up :P

The Delta's got a really nice interior according to European reviews I've read.  Uninvolving driving experience, but comfortable ride and roomy interior with nice materials.  Sounds pretty-well suited to North American tastes if people can get beyond the brand stigma.

Mitlov

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2010, 02:47:39 pm »
What I don't understand is what Chrysler is doing?

Treading water.

In April, 40% of Chrysler sales were FLEET.  All financing is thru Obama Motor's GMAC.  In the next few months Obama Motors is going to change the name of GMAC to "xxxx" Bank.  Starts with an "A", just can't remember the name.  That way the FED can pump more $$$ into it without the bad headlines.

Darned right they're treading water, relying in significant part on Charger cop cars and Ram work trucks.  Fiat can't modify their lineup of B-segment, C-segment, and D-segment cars overnight, and Chrysler is in a holding pattern until they do.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2010, 03:10:21 pm »
Chrsyler had a great concept the 200C a few years ago before the huge collapse not sure what happened to it, it was nice but they focused on crappy cars instead.