Author Topic: Chrysler Delta  (Read 6024 times)

Mitlov

Chrysler Delta
« on: January 11, 2010, 11:59:44 am »
Appears to be a straight-up rebadge of the Lancia Delta compact hatch.

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1041474_2010-detroit-auto-show-chrysler-badged-lancia-delta

And here's a dash from a Lancia Delta dash, since we don't have pictures of the Chrysler Delta dash:

No specs or pricing available yet.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Chrysler Delta
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 12:20:02 pm »
It USED to be that Lanci's were object of desire... I don't know if they still are. I suspect they have gone through the same homogenization as most interesting cars have... SAAB for instance.  Maybe French cars are the only ones left with individuality.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

DrJay

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 12:33:48 pm »
It would take something pretty spectacular to revive this company .... and sadly this isn't it pretty generic (not ugly just generic) what class would this compete in? would it replace the caliber? or is it more pacifica sized? or sebring?
regardless it's time Chrysler you have had a good life ...time to let go  :drool:

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 12:56:10 pm »
Based on the people in the background, is looks like a Sebring-sized vehicle.  A new one of these would likely do better than the existing Sebring being only 'good' at being bad.

I like the styling, but I hope there is a sedan coming over.....Americans hate stationwagons!

Fortune favours the bold!

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 01:01:22 pm »
That VW display across the hall looks much more interesting....

Mitlov

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 01:04:29 pm »
what class would this compete in? would it replace the caliber? or is it more pacifica sized? or sebring?

The Delta is a C-segment car, so this would go against Golfs and Corollas.

Personally, I think it looks really nice except for the grille (which looks Chinese, and not in a good way).  The swooping lines are very art-deco and actually fit with the Chrysler aesthetic nicely.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 01:09:47 pm »
Does look compact - from that second picture, looks like the hatch opening is awfully narrow

Mitlov

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 01:27:28 pm »
I don't know my Lancias, that well, so I did some research.

The Lancia Delta is indeed a C-segment car.  Gas engines are a 1.4L turbo and a 1.8L turbo, with a couple different horsepower outputs.  Interior is superb.  Ride is pleasant, but it doesn't sound like it'll be causing the Focus and Mazda3 to sweat with the young'uns who want sportiness.  Handling sounds adequate but not envigorating.  This is a luxurious cruiser of a compact car, not a sports-sedan-for-the-masses like the MkIII Focus.

Video review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOkKRRRcErg

CAR Magazine's write-up:

t’s notably roomier than most C-segment hatches – thanks mostly to the 100mm wheelbase stretch over the donor Fiat Bravo platform – and the materials used within are pleasingly posh and luxurious. The leather trim on the seats and doors of our test car were almost Rolls-Royce soft and supple and the stitching looked hand-done by Italian craftsman (it’s not, but who’s to know?).
Lancia has focused on delivering a luxurious experience and they’ve done a good job. The ride is good, helped by electronic dampers that can be tuned to a firmer ‘sports’ mode by the push of a button. Even in ‘sports’, the Delta rides with more suppleness than most small hatches.

There is, of course, a trade-off. There’s nothing too much wrong with the handling, at least not in ‘normal’ driving; but push hard on the secondaries and the Delta lacks the steering and handling response of an A3 or a Golf, let alone the class-leading Focus.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Lancia-Delta-CAR-review/

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 02:07:08 pm »
Interior is superb.
This is a luxurious cruiser of a compact car, not a sports-sedan-for-the-masses like the MkIII Focus.

This seemed way bigger than a Civic to me when I checked it out at the Paris autoshow a year and a bit ago.  The interior materials were REALLY neat.

Here's a photo I took of the interior...note the suede stuff on the dash.  How's that for soft touch?

Mitlov

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 02:11:08 pm »
Given how it seems to almost straddle C-segment and D-segment, I wonder if they're intending on using this one model to replace both the PT Cruiser and the Sebring?  At least for the short-term.  Could work.

DrJay

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 03:35:45 pm »
Interior is superb.
This is a luxurious cruiser of a compact car, not a sports-sedan-for-the-masses like the MkIII Focus.

This seemed way bigger than a Civic to me when I checked it out at the Paris autoshow a year and a bit ago.  The interior materials were REALLY neat.

Here's a photo I took of the interior...note the suede stuff on the dash.  How's that for soft touch?
Hmm the sued is a nice touch but this reminds me a little of earlier Buick type styling wrapped in suede but with less Bu and more "Ick"

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 06:10:59 pm »
That "stuff" is called Alcantara - a Lancia interior specialty...
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 06:30:53 pm »
what class would this compete in? would it replace the caliber? or is it more pacifica sized? or sebring?

The Delta is a C-segment car, so this would go against Golfs and Corollas.

Personally, I think it looks really nice except for the grille (which looks Chinese, and not in a good way).  The swooping lines are very art-deco and actually fit with the Chrysler aesthetic nicely.
The grille from your link is what tells me it is a chrysler. Such as the older 300M  and the latest 300.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Mitlov

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 08:25:10 pm »
The grille from your link is what tells me it is a chrysler. Such as the older 300M  and the latest 300.

The Chrysler grille is a rounded rectangle--small on the 300M (which, for the record, I also thought looked cheap) and big on the current 300 (which looks great in my opinion).  This is a small rounded pentagon, which REALLY doesn't work for me.  It's a Lancia grille with a Chrysler badge.  A few Lancias for you:

Mitlov

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 08:26:32 pm »
Anyhoo, does anybody else think this would be much cooler if they:

(1) kept the body, mechanicals, and interior,

(2) redid the aesthetic design from the A-pillar forward, and

(3) brought back the name "Chrysler Airflow"?

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 09:10:49 pm »

No specs or pricing available yet.

Rear looks similar to a Nissan Murano

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 10:13:26 pm »
Oh sure, NOW they decide to bring over Lancia. ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Canada

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 04:00:24 am »
I wish them the best but I don't think they will pull it off.  It's going to be slow and painfull.  I think what happened to American Motor Corporation - AMC from 1970 to 1987 is happening right now with Chrysler. They will keep chopping chunks out of it until there is nothing left.  It's ironic that it was Chrysler that merged / bought out AMC in '87.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 05:17:17 am »
Oh sure, NOW they decide to bring over Lancia. ;D

Right!   THAT is a Lancia.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440