Author Topic: CTC Review: 2010 Testfest  (Read 30530 times)

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
Re: CTC Review: 2010 Testfest
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 07:53:40 am »
Of the categories I have an interest in, AND have cars that interest me. I have to add that my voting is affected to some extent by whether the car is mainly/totally new, or mostly the same as before. :

SMALL CAR (under $21k)
Hyundai Elantra Touring     
Kia Forte Koup     
Mazda3   
Want to win: Kia Forte Koup/ Think will win: Mazda3. In saying that, I make the 'leap of faith' that the Kia throttle problem is a very short term TSB to fix it. Although it hasn't been fixed yet and should have. Still having trouble adjusting to the Mazda3 grill.

SMALL CAR (over $21k)
Honda Insight     
Kia Forte     
Kia Soul     
Mazda3 Sport     
Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback     
Nissan Cube     
Volkswagen Golf   
Want to win: Golf/ Think will win: Mazda or Golf. Beyond the marketing hype, neither the Mazda3 Sport or Golf seem that much different than before. Once optioned with comparative features the Mazda3 Sport has priced itself out of the market, in my opinion. The base engine in the Golf is still "wrong".

The Koup and Forte seem like they were put in the wrong categories, as the Koup is more expensive with the same features. Furthermore, technically the Forte (sedan) even in top trim (SX) isn't over $ 21k. I was reluctant to even include this category.

LUXURY CAR (over $50k)
BMW 335d Sedan     
Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon     
Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan (E 350)   
Want to win: 335d / Think will win: 335d

SPORTS - PERFORMANCE (under $50k)
Chevrolet Camaro     
Ford Taurus SHO     
Hyundai Genesis Coupe     
Mazdaspeed3     
Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Ralliart     
Volkswagen Golf GTI   
Want to win: Hyundai Genesis Coupe/ Think will win: Genesis Coupe (V6). I discount the Mazda as its much the same car as before, especially with the identical engine and transmission. Same goes for the GTI. However, who knows what priorities the testers have in the back of their minds? Too close to call! Too bad Hyundai provided a track version of the V6 Genesis Coupe (I'm assuming that), the normal version is better all around.

SPORTS - PERFORMANCE (over $50k)
Audi S4     
Jaguar XFR     
Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe (E 550)   
Want to win: S4 / Think will win: S4
Also think the S4 will be car of the year.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 05:28:41 pm by dougjp »

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 12:35:41 pm »
SHO in the performance category?! Are you kidding me? I like the car and I can't believe Ford threw their money away by entering that car in this category. Sure its probably the fastest in a straight line but yeesh, its THOUSANDS of dollars more than any of the competition. In fact I'd be surprised if you could find an SHO under $50k on a Ford lot right now. The one we have here is $52k.

Looks to be some interesting categories for sure. I look forward to scrutinizing the results when they come out! :)
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 04:42:20 pm »
doug, some good guesses there and I think you will be correct on most fronts.

Regarding how journalists votes, well if everyone were to follow the rules it should be very unbiased.  Things like "It hasn't changed much" shouldn't affect the voting although it probably does influence.    The voting process is very elaborate we have many categories to vote on from 1-10.  I have come out of a car saying "clear winner in the category"  then I write down my numbers, and it comes out behind a couple of other cars.... because despite me "liking" a car more in reality the sum of all the parts sometimes beats out the "I like it" as it should.

There is a "subjective" category so if you like a car more you can boost it a little with this, but its overall weighting is small.

gut

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 03:05:07 am »
First pic on day 3 is labeled: "2010 Mazdaspeed3" even though it is BMW series 3 on the picture.
A good one, probably by accident as I don't think you did that intentionally...  ;).

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 11:31:20 am »
Announced winners in blue...

SMALL CAR (under $21k)
Hyundai Elantra Touring     
Kia Forte Koup     
Mazda3   
- I guess the voters don't mind the face.

SMALL CAR (over $21k)
Honda Insight     
Kia Forte     
Kia Soul     
Mazda3 Sport     
Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback     
Nissan Cube     
Volkswagen Golf   
- How many categories can the Mazda3 be in?

FAMILY CAR (under $30k)
Ford Fusion     
Subaru Legacy Sedan     
Toyota Prius     
Volkswagen Golf Wagon TDI
- Interesting

FAMILY CAR (over $30k)
Buick LaCrosse     
Ford Fusion Hybrid     
Ford Taurus     
- Wow...a redo of an older chassis over a new car?

LUXURY CAR (over $50k)
BMW 335d Sedan     
Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon     
Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan (E 350)   
- Not surprised here

PRESTIGE (over $75k)
Audi R8 5.2 FSI     
BMW 7 Series Sedan (750i)     
Mercedes-Benz S400 Hybrid     
Porsche Panamera   
- Damn Panamera

PERFORMANCE (under $50k)
Chevrolet Camaro     
Ford Taurus SHO     
Hyundai Genesis Coupe     
Mazdaspeed3     
Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Ralliart     
Volkswagen Golf GTI   
- Can't give everything to the Mazda3

SPORTS - PERFORMANCE (over $50k)
Audi S4     
Jaguar XFR     
Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe (E 550)   
- OK...whatever...not sure I get the Prestige/Performance category split

CONVERTIBLES
Audi A5 Cabriolet     
Lexus IS Convertible (IS350C)     
Nissan 370Z Roadster   
- Surpised here

SUV - CUV (under $35k)
Chevrolet Equinox     
Subaru Outback     
Toyota Venza   
- Arctic...come off the ledge!

SUV - CUV ($35k-$60k)
Acura ZDX     
Audi Q5     
GMC Terrain     
Lexus RX 350     
Mercedes-Benz GLK350 4MATIC     
Volkswagen Touareg TDI Clean Diesel     
Volvo XC60   
- So they like diesels?

SUV - CUV (over $60k)
Acura MDX     
Audi Q7 TDI     
Cadillac SRX     
Lexus RX450h     
Lincoln MKT   
- There you go Arctic...you got one.

Overall, looks like the Germans take the contest...Germans 7...Japanese 4...Americans 1

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 02:33:09 pm »
What? Venza with advanced tie wraps on the floor mats!!  WTF...sorry disqualified.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 03:04:26 pm »
I don't agree with all of them, but the only real surprise of the lot for me is the Touareg. Didn't think VW had a chance. Platform is nearing the end of its life cycle and in that company, it's quite a coup.

Should also be extremely pleased with Golf GTI in the performance category.

Outback is another I'm somewhat surprised at.

Mazda's never shut out  :winner:

Haven't looked at how close the final tallies were (probably not published on the web site for awhile yet) but am interested to see how close they were to each other.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

vdk

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 03:16:11 pm »
Wait. The GTI > Speed3  but the Mazda3 > Golf ??? Considering the Speed3 has about 60hp over the GTI it makes little sense to me.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 03:21:31 pm »
Wait. The GTI > Speed3  but the Mazda3 > Golf ??? Considering the Speed3 has about 60hp over the GTI it makes little sense to me.

Mazda3 > Golf no doubt because of the 2.5 I5, and perhaps pricing/features. Again, want to see the scoring.

vdk

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2009, 03:31:43 pm »
Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ont. •
After several days of concentrated testing at its annual TestFest, the 2010 Best New AJAC award winners in 12 vehicle categories were announced today by the Automobile Journalists Association of Canada.

Volkswagen was the big winner, capturing three awards: Best New Family Car (Under $30,000) for the Golf Wagon TDI, Best New Sports/ Performance Car (Under $50,000) for the Golf GTI and Best New SUV/CUV ($35,000 to $60,000) for the Touareg TDI Clean Diesel.

Mazda and Audi took two awards apiece. The compact Mazda3 won the Best New Small Car (Under $21,000), while the Sport version took Best New Small Car (Over $21,000). The Audi S4 took the trophy for Best New Sports/Performance Car Over $50,000, while the A5 Cabriolet won Best New Convertible.

The Best New Family Car (Over $30,000) award went to the Ford Taurus. Best New Luxury Car (Over $50,000) was captured by the BMW 335d sedan.

The Subaru Outback was awarded Best New SUV/CUV (Under $35,000), while Best New SUV/CUV (Over $60,000) went to the Lexus RX 450h.

It should not go unnoticed that three category winners were diesel powered, while a fourth featured a hybrid powertrain.

Brian Harper, National Post

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2009, 04:28:12 pm »
...diesels   wot's THAT.....DIRTY POOL.......... :rofl2: :bow: :bow2: :light: :flowers: :thumbup: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :skid: :skid: :skid: :skid: :drive: :drive:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Vil

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 04:54:28 pm »
Mazda3 > Golf no doubt because of the 2.5 I5, and perhaps pricing/features. Again, want to see the scoring.

The scoring is right here.  The 3 won by 1 point!

http://www.ajac.ca/web/ccoty/2010/comparison_category.asp?cat=64

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2009, 05:11:00 pm »
I think Soul and Cube should have been in a new "funny little car category", they both deserve better than last place.  I'm a fan of those little buggers.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2009, 05:30:33 pm »

The scoring is right here.  The 3 won by 1 point!

http://www.ajac.ca/web/ccoty/2010/comparison_category.asp?cat=64

Fascinating seeing the individual scores for each item (and the number of those that get rated) for each car. Now I understand what Wing meant by this being a hectic tiring experience!

So it could be said that the Mazda3 beat the Golf because of....the emissions score ???  

A person could go mad analyzing and comparing cars using the details within the overall ratings.  :P  It surprised me that the reviewers found the Golf's engine performance ratings with the 2.5L 5 cylinder to be way better than the Mazda Sport?

The results sure gave me a few surprises, however I think its fair to say it wasn't bad. No "dogs" ("accidents of manufacturing") won any category.  :rofl2:

Overall however, the whole affair's credibility is questioned when there is no category for value for money, or a weighting applied to equalize cars with greatly different costs. Especially in price sensitive categories.  

vdk

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2009, 07:57:50 pm »
What? Venza with advanced tie wraps on the floor mats!!  WTF...sorry disqualified.

Don't you guys dare :censor: on this thread please. Thank you!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2009, 08:08:26 pm »
Looks like the votes were really close for a few categories.  I was surprised by the Outback (which won by a lot) and the Taurus (which barely beat out the Fusion which I thought would win) -- although I also was thinking the Lacrosse would win it was great.

The Toaureg was a HUGE surprise to me, but I checked the results and my guess of the Q5 was very close!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2009, 08:11:37 pm »
Doug, there certainly is a "price factor"  It is not on the ballot but each car's results get multiplied by the price factor.  It is quite a complicated system.  And I drove like 35 cars I believe it was tiring!

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2009, 08:26:17 am »
Seems like some companies might have missed the boat by loading up their cars and having them compete in higher categories.

Both the Soul and the Cube were fairly heavily loaded vehicles.What if.....

Same goes with the Buick Lacrosse ad the CTS Wagon - way at the top of the price ladder. What if....

The biggest puzzle from the results, for me,  is the Touareg. Clean Diesel or not it is still a very old, old design.

On the other hand it looks like cars with the fun factor or driving enjoyment still manage to win over people - GTI and Mazda 3S are no doubt deserving for what they deliver.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2009, 10:24:54 am »
Touareg was a huge surprise for me, I assumed it would be the Q5 or GLK350 and they came in 2nd / 3rd.  The tabulation of votes include acceleration numbers and cargo capacity and such and the Touareg does well in those cases, enough to push it over the top.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2009, 10:37:20 am »
.toureg WINS..sounds like common sense DESERTED U lot..................admit it Wingie it's just a BIG BEANFEST...........and soon forgotten...except fer a few ADS and $$$'s under the table fer "research" and TRIPS to warmer climes......... ;D ;) :stick:.....

I'll PICK my BEST CAR...................without the help of 100 ODD!!! tired testers...... :shuffle: