Author Topic: CD Article: 2010 Ford Transit Connect  (Read 8351 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2010 Ford Transit Connect
« on: October 21, 2009, 06:16:04 am »

Test Drive:
2010 Ford Transit Connect

2010 Ford Transit ConnectThe future of efficient transportation is driving the right sized vehicle for the job, says Assistant Editor Jil McIntosh. Alone in the compact, purpose-built delivery van segment, the new Ford Transit Connect is a great little vehicle, she says.
 More: View the photos | All the Test Drives

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
Re: CD Article: 2010 Ford Transit Connect
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 09:02:35 am »
I think that this is an interesting vehicle and like it very much. Did Nissan or another manufacturer not build something similar recently? Anyway, being a small trailer towing enthusiast I think that something like this would be well suited for the task...with stronger mechanicals and Nivomat load levelling struts on the rear suspension. If it could achieve a tow rating of about 3500 Lb. it could do well in this guise. Maybe the diesel would have the torque necessary for towing. A pick-up truck does not offer the covered carying space necessary when towing a small trailer like a T@B or such.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 04:08:12 pm »
 I have seen a few of these around town lately. A local Tim Horton's has one. It replaced one of those gas guzzling econoline E150 full size vans. A local utility company has one as well.  The telephone company out here used caravan's 20 years ago. They tried to save gas with them but they became to overloaded so the savings did not develop. I would say these would provide a savings if they weren't overloaded. 2 liter 138 hp not a lot of power.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Greg B.

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 07:41:08 pm »
These are starting to show up around here, but they are not the smallest truckets running around locally. My neighbors run the local Vespa agency and they have a bizarro delivery van that appears based on a Vespa, with a corrugated metal box on the back of a very small vehicle. And there are a number of Suzuki trucklets running around, mostly flatbeds but I think I've seen some with a box, that are very narrow.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 10:33:19 pm »
Found many Ford Transit in China and Hong Kong (seen one as a police truck)

The Transit I sat in was basically a van that sat 10 plus the driver. 1-3-3-4 config.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 10:56:39 pm »
These are starting to show up around here, but they are not the smallest truckets running around locally. My neighbors run the local Vespa agency and they have a bizarro delivery van that appears based on a Vespa, with a corrugated metal box on the back of a very small vehicle. And there are a number of Suzuki trucklets running around, mostly flatbeds but I think I've seen some with a box, that are very narrow.

One of these?? 

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Leviathan

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 02:18:38 am »
I've seen some of these

Mitlov

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 02:23:01 am »
The Ford Transit Connect: the best ride for Italian plumbers since

In all seriousness, I definitely get the appeal for small businesses, but I don't quite understand if this thing is also supposed to sell to private owners (and if so, what demographic).

Honda Owner

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 02:33:31 am »
I don't quite understand if this thing is also supposed to sell to private owners (and if so, what demographic).

I bet surfers will go mad for it like they did with the Previa.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 05:24:33 am »
I think this is strictly a commercial vehicle.  I see ICS runnning these now.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 08:34:09 am »
Many people like to travel across country with trailers and a lot of these trailers are small ones...maybe 3000 LB down. Finding a suitable vehicle that will do this on more than an occasional basis is a bit of a problem. For this duty a pick-up truck is overkill and personally I don't want a truck around. Small trailers do not have much storage inside so a tow vehicle that can offer this is desirable.
Yes it is a commercial vehicle but it looks like it can also be more with the ability to have a second row seat which could be removed and stored if only two people are travelling.
We do this with a Caravan SXT with tow package (3500Lb tow rating) which is fine but a shorter vehicle would be better I think. Front wheel drive is no issue for us...it works ok (2000LB trailer loaded). At least have not had a problem so far and have crossed Canada shore to shore twice as well as other trips. Anyway, this van may not be able to offer a version with enough power and torque...maybe 200 HP not screaming it's head off or a diesel with plenty of torque. The low loading height of this van and sliding doors are also very nice. A Nivomat softer rear springing with the included load levelling set-up works well for this duty. Producing a comfortable ride loaded or not.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 08:42:48 am by Rupert »

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 08:40:57 am »
As someone pointed out in the article's comments, these arrive to Canada equipped as passenger vans, with windows, benches and carpets. All of this is then ripped out, shredded and sent to recycling. My question to Ford: why not offer the option of selling these as low-cost minivans at ~$24k-25k? For most families, this would be perfect for carrying kids to school, activities, etc.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 08:56:21 am »
Totally agree. They might be able to sell them cheaper thusly equiped...must cost money to do all of the tearing out and refinishing and recycling. A better idea...maybe?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 10:46:53 am »
As someone pointed out in the article's comments, these arrive to Canada equipped as passenger vans, with windows, benches and carpets. All of this is then ripped out, shredded and sent to recycling. My question to Ford: why not offer the option of selling these as low-cost minivans at ~$24k-25k? For most families, this would be perfect for carrying kids to school, activities, etc.

They may rip out the interiors for the cargo version, but that doesn't mean the passenger version isn't available as well. It's called the Wagon XLT: http://www.ford.ca/app/commercial/en/vehicles/transit_connect.do?tab=KTTmodels

I saw one on the road the other day with the rear window in the door. Couldn't look inside to see if it had seats.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 11:06:33 am »
Hmm interesting...

From the site:

Wagon XLT comes with features that you and your passengers will enjoy including:

Power windows, locks, exterior mirrors, remote keyless entry with two key fobs
Electronic Passive Anti-Theft System
Rear defrost, heated mirrors
Second row, three-passenger, split folding (60/40) cloth bench seat
AM/FM/CD with audio input jack

$28,299

A tad expensive IMO... Closer to $24k-25k would make more sense for an essentially barebone passenger van with limited comfort features... especially when you can get a very well equipped Mazda5 or Rondo for less than the $28,299 of the Transit Wagon XLT.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 11:32:20 am »
I wish Ford would bring over the full size transit. The Econline is well past it sell by date, Very dated too.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 11:44:47 am »
I wish Ford would bring over the full size transit. The Econline is well past it sell by date, Very dated too.

Why? would you buy one?

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 11:45:50 am »
Probably not...but everything made in Europe is better.  :rofl2:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 11:47:24 am »
As someone pointed out in the article's comments, these arrive to Canada equipped as passenger vans, with windows, benches and carpets. All of this is then ripped out, shredded and sent to recycling.

That has to be one of the stupids things I read in a while
And I though Cord had the funniest stories out there

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 12:34:46 pm »
Why? would you buy one?

Oh yes most def. Need one for my Business. The Econline Feels so dated. Even the dash does. I drove one to Hanover a week ago. I could see no difference to a 15 year old one. The facelift base is fugly. Be nice to get into a modern van. For now I stick with crappy thirsty Astro and wait and hire when I need a something a little bigger.

Probably not...but everything made in Europe is better.  :rofl2:

When comes to vans.Yes. Vans in NA are such a small market so they say. Which is why there has been very little improvement for over 20 years. Funny There does seems to be a lot of them on the roads. The Sprinter is nice and modern but it is so over price and only so so reliability.

Anyways I'm not sure if there is e-nuff need for such a small Turkish made van in Canada. Sales will be low at best. Which I don't think will give this van longevity time will tell.  :-\