Author Topic: Lexus LF-A (production)  (Read 17500 times)

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
Re: Lexus LF-A (production)
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2010, 10:38:31 pm »
Even the BMW X6 has a little 2002 in it
Oh ya?  Where?  The rondel?

(Lexus) better stop trying to be all things to all people.  It better figure out what it wants to be.

Well, that's good advice for any car brand & company in general.

I could say the same thing about Porsche...Boxter and Cayenne...WTF?

I could say the same thing about Ferrari...no manual and hybrids...WTF?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2010, 10:53:00 pm »
The rear-end looks good with its R8-ish elements but the front-end just doesn't work for me.  I think it's the headlights design that fugs it up.   :P

Since the Lexus LF-A will have a limited run of 500 units and a price tag north of 400 000 USD, I suppose that the akward elements of the design will be quickly forgiven.  The 4.8L V10 with a 9000 redline will certainly help.

Supercar or Hypercar?

The sound of this car is incredible.  Having an F1 derived V10 will make it worth the price of admission for some.

Holy Crap! I need a raise or a lottery win ... I am all the way in with this one!  With limited production, has anyone mentioned how many NA will get or will it be by order only?

IIRC, Canada gets 6-10.  Australia gets 5.  Japanese allocation (165) is sold out, Euro allocation (70) almost sold out.  No idea about US allocation (150) for sales.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Mitlov

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2010, 04:35:10 am »
The rear-end looks good with its R8-ish elements but the front-end just doesn't work for me.  I think it's the headlights design that fugs it up.   :P

Since the Lexus LF-A will have a limited run of 500 units and a price tag north of 400 000 USD, I suppose that the akward elements of the design will be quickly forgiven.  The 4.8L V10 with a 9000 redline will certainly help.

Supercar or Hypercar?

The sound of this car is incredible.  Having an F1 derived V10 will make it worth the price of admission for some.

Holy Crap! I need a raise or a lottery win ... I am all the way in with this one!  With limited production, has anyone mentioned how many NA will get or will it be by order only?

IIRC, Canada gets 6-10.  Australia gets 5.  Japanese allocation (165) is sold out, Euro allocation (70) almost sold out.  No idea about US allocation (150) for sales.

Sales are accelerating dramatically with no signs of stopping.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2010, 09:57:21 am »

Read an interesting tidbit on Ferraris and stupid flappy paddles recently. Apparently, the big bonus for car manufacturers, Ferrari specifically in this case, is MUCH lower warranty claims on flappy paddles then on real transmissions. So the bean counters are winning again, even at Ferrari!

Sadly, Ferrari as a dream car has now died for me. Would never buy a sports car/driving toy with an automatic transmission, just as I would not buy one with automatic steering. Not that i was THAT close to signing up for one anyway, so the dealers and Ferrari will get over it quickly. :)
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

DrJay

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2010, 12:19:01 pm »

Read an interesting tidbit on Ferraris and stupid flappy paddles recently. Apparently, the big bonus for car manufacturers, Ferrari specifically in this case, is MUCH lower warranty claims on flappy paddles then on real transmissions. So the bean counters are winning again, even at Ferrari!

Sadly, Ferrari as a dream car has now died for me. Would never buy a sports car/driving toy with an automatic transmission, just as I would not buy one with automatic steering. Not that i was THAT close to signing up for one anyway, so the dealers and Ferrari will get over it quickly. :)

Enzo Ferrari.....is crying right now

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2010, 04:45:13 pm »

Enzo Ferrari.....is crying right now

Well, he might be turning in his grave, but then again, it might be out of joy.   
Ferraristis always claim Ferrari road car was and have always been built to support Ferrari racing program, which was old man Enzo's life.    and if all that mattered was going faster, then flappy paddle is the right way to go for Ferrari, isn't it?

for me, at this point in time, joy of driving involves 3 pedals and shift knob on my right.    It may change in the future, but for now, nothing made by Ferrari today appeals to me too much.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2010, 04:48:35 pm »
..How i miss(ed) the NSX...................... ???............... :-\................... :'(...................... :bang:....... :brkhrt:.......... :think:.................. :banghead:.................. :eye:........ :'( :'( :'(
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2010, 05:39:42 pm »

Sales are accelerating dramatically with no signs of stopping.
:rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2: :fiver:
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Mitlov

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2010, 11:17:32 pm »

May I give you a new dream?

How does a mid-engined 5.2L V10, 550 hp, RWD, and 6MT sound to you?  Meet the Gallardo LP550-2 Valentino Balboni.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2010, 11:31:12 pm »
^^Shrugs...LF-A was quicker IN THE WET than an AWD Gallardo...so I'd imagine it would eat this car up too....

Man...I sure dig the wheels though!  Nice!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:37:53 pm by rrocket »

Mitlov

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2010, 11:41:14 pm »
^^Shrugs...LF-A was quicker IN THE WET than an AWD Gallardo...so I'd imagine it would eat this car up too....

Erik wanted a car where you row your own gears.  You know, with a clutch pedal and a stick.  You can't do that in an LFA, no matter how fast it is.  I can understand that desire.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2010, 11:42:52 pm »

Erik wanted a car where you row your own gears.  You know, with a clutch pedal and a stick.  You can't do that in an LFA, no matter how fast it is.  I can understand that desire.

Yea...I guess I can't.  ::) Because of the 15 cars I've owned...4 have been autos...

Mitlov

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2010, 12:37:12 am »
Yea...I guess I can't.  ::) Because of the 15 cars I've owned...4 have been autos...

Erik said he didn't want a Ferrari anymore because you couldn't row your own gears, and you suggested that he get an LF-A (where you can't row your own gears) over a car where you can.  It's that simple.  It's not about what you've owned or what you yourself prefer.  Why would you suggest a manumatic car to a guy who said he no longer lusts after Ferraris because they only offer manumatics anymore?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2010, 12:45:04 am »

Erik said he didn't want a Ferrari anymore because you couldn't row your own gears, and you suggested that he get an LF-A (where you can't row your own gears) over a car where you can.  It's that simple.  It's not about what you've owned or what you yourself prefer.  Why would you suggest a manumatic car to a guy who said he no longer lusts after Ferraris because they only offer manumatics anymore?

I didn't suggest anything to Erik.  Go read what I wrote.  Since this is the LF-A thread, I merely made an observation that the LF-A would eat this car up. 

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2010, 01:37:32 am »
well, strictly speaking, the fastest 4 wheeled non-flight production vehicle IS automatic(Veyron, anyone?), so YES if outright speed is all one cared about, LS-F is pretty good.. 

but stilll.... i think it would be EVEN BETTER with choice of manual. ;-)

and maybe EVEN MORE BETTER with couple hundred grand slashed off its price.

Mitlov

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2010, 11:08:18 am »
I could say the same thing about Porsche...Boxter and Cayenne...WTF?

I understand with the Cayenne (even though it saved the company financially), but what's wrong with the Boxster?  It's a driver-focused sports car with a flat six behind you.  Not exactly what I'd call a betrayal of Porsche's roots.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2010, 03:29:55 pm »
I understand with the Cayenne (even though it saved the company financially), but what's wrong with the Boxster?  It's a driver-focused sports car with a flat six behind you.  Not exactly what I'd call a betrayal of Porsche's roots.

Nothing wrong with the Boxster (or Boxter as I called it !!)  I must have been juxtaposing the Boxster (good) with the Cayenne (bad).

It's easy to show what good the Cayenne has done for Porsche's bottom  line...it's tougher to predict what the long-term impact will be.  Porsche become Porsche by designing sports cars...and the Cayenne's success owes much to that.

vdk

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2010, 03:34:36 pm »

Nothing wrong with the Boxster (or Boxter as I called it !!)  I must have been juxtaposing the Boxster (good) with the Cayenne (bad).

It's easy to show what good the Cayenne has done for Porsche's bottom  line...it's tougher to predict what the long-term impact will be.  Porsche become Porsche by designing sports cars...and the Cayenne's success owes much to that.

As much as people hate the Cayenne, it brought us the Boxster, Cayman, new 911s and GT3s. Amen to that!

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2010, 04:45:46 pm »
As much as people hate the Cayenne, it brought us the Boxster, Cayman, new 911s and GT3s. Amen to that!

Which is payback in my books as the 356, racing 911s, 917s, 962s brought us the Cayenne.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2010, 12:52:49 am »

May I give you a new dream?

How does a mid-engined 5.2L V10, 550 hp, RWD, and 6MT sound to you?  Meet the Gallardo LP550-2 Valentino Balboni.

Been dreaming of that ever since I read about it the first time. A guy who understands what driving is actually about. Loved the following quote from him. Gotta love a guy apologizing for a stupid flappy paddle gearbox!

"My major concern was to avoid electronic help as much as possible – to let the driving pleasure come from the suspension tuning and power delivery." This is one of the reasons why Balboni was so apologetic about the E-gear. Since the start, he's been personally, "Very much against E-gear," because it takes some amount of vehicle control away from the driver and hands it to a computer. As far as rear-wheel drive goes, he has been against all-wheel drive Lambos from the start. In fact, he told me, "the company was split in two over AWD."

Imagine! Taking control of a sports car away from the driver and giving it to a computer!

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:54:51 am by Erik »