Author Topic: Lexus LF-A (production)  (Read 17525 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Lexus LF-A (production)
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 06:07:47 pm »
Just making sure. They did a good job making my bike sound nice. :)
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 06:30:53 pm »
I think part of the excessive price will be the rarity (somewhat) of these.  Only 500 will be produced.  For perspective, they've already built more than 5000 Gallardos.

I like the TFT gauges....check them out about 1:10 into the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fTfRh0_RQ4&feature=player_embedded

And listen to the wail of that engine!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HAMKHRJbrU

Paid endorsement?  Complete ball-wash?  I dunno... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytjOyB3VwIo

And the rumours are low 7:20s at the 'Ring..(if that matters).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 06:41:05 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +44/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 128i, 2017 Kia RIO EX, 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WDGMC Sierra
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 10:15:08 pm »
And listen to the wail of that engine!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HAMKHRJbrU

Agreed...Sounds awesome. :drool:

Mitlov

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 01:01:19 am »
The fact that a Gallardo is "better value for the dollar" doesn't really matter in my opinion.  If you're looking for a six-digit supercar, none of that stuff matters.  If you wanted a good-value high performance car, you'd be in a Vette or a GT-R or something like that.

My bigger concern is whether the Lexus badge can support a US$375,000 price tag.  Mercedes can (SLR), but at least until very recently, Mercedes had more badge cachet than Lexus.  That's no longer true at the IS versus C-Class and GS versus E-Class, but we'll have to see if the same holds true at this level.

And selling each of them at a loss?  WTF? 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 01:14:02 am »
The fact that a Gallardo is "better value for the dollar" doesn't really matter in my opinion.  If you're looking for a six-digit supercar, none of that stuff matters.  If you wanted a good-value high performance car, you'd be in a Vette or a GT-R or something like that.

My bigger concern is whether the Lexus badge can support a US$375,000 price tag.  Mercedes can (SLR), but at least until very recently, Mercedes had more badge cachet than Lexus.  That's no longer true at the IS versus C-Class and GS versus E-Class, but we'll have to see if the same holds true at this level.

Well I think with the engine, the monocoque chassis and some of the other tech, not too mention only 500 total cars....they will all sell.  As far as the loss?  They may sell at a loss, but they'll write that down, plus write off much of the program as R&D.  I'd assume some of the technology will make it into other cars.  But yea..in the economic climate, it is a bit surprising....

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 10:02:20 am »

I like the TFT gauges....check them out about 1:10 into the video

Well at least you give you something to look at while the car does all the shifting for you.   ;D

I like it...sounds wicked...looks wicked too.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 07:49:16 pm »

If you have the money to be able to easily afford one of these, I don't think badge cachet really comes into it IMO.  I'd rather have a used Zonda, now that's a car with passion, fire and soul!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Mitlov

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 01:04:45 am »
If you have the money to be able to easily afford one of these, I don't think badge cachet really comes into it IMO.  I'd rather have a used Zonda, now that's a car with passion, fire and soul!

Around here, most folks with money prefer to show it.  There are three Lambos in the Medford area, and AMG Mercs are pretty popular with the captains of real estate (how the rich get rich in southern Oregon).

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 11:37:59 am »
Yes, I've no doubt they'll sell every one they build.

But I think, if Toyota is trying to show it can be exciting, fun, and dynamic, then they should be looking at building something that competes directly with the Gallardo, V8 Vantage, R8, etc. Not a $400 000 hypercar.

Better still, why not a new Supra priced against the GTR and ZR1?

A super-expensive, limited edition sports car is a great way to demonstrate engineering prowess and know-how, but a well-priced, high-end sports car would do more to demonstrate the new direction Toyota apparently wants to take. The FT-86 is a step in the right direction, but I'm talking about something between $75 - 150k. A powerful, fast, luxury sports coupe. Right now Toyota is looking at the low(er) end and the super high-end. They need something in the middle...

Mitlov

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 11:58:33 am »
Yes, I've no doubt they'll sell every one they build.

But I think, if Toyota is trying to show it can be exciting, fun, and dynamic, then they should be looking at building something that competes directly with the Gallardo, V8 Vantage, R8, etc. Not a $400 000 hypercar.

Better still, why not a new Supra priced against the GTR and ZR1?

A super-expensive, limited edition sports car is a great way to demonstrate engineering prowess and know-how, but a well-priced, high-end sports car would do more to demonstrate the new direction Toyota apparently wants to take. The FT-86 is a step in the right direction, but I'm talking about something between $75 - 150k. A powerful, fast, luxury sports coupe. Right now Toyota is looking at the low(er) end and the super high-end. They need something in the middle...

In all fairness, they're not entirely lacking in mid-priced performance machines:

It may be that Toyota decided that a GT-R fighter would be too similar to the IS-F in the grand scheme of things and that it would cannibalize IS-F sales more than bringing in new buyers.  I'd like to see a new Supra too, but I think it's a legitimate concern.

Though maybe the answer would have been to shorten the IS-F's wheelbase, scrap the back seat and back doors, and keep the rest and call it the new Toyota Supra V8?  It'd be a parts-bin special of a parts-bin special, but at least they wouldn't lose money on every one they sold like the LFA.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2009, 12:09:54 pm »

.....................AAAAHHHhhhhh the ZONDA MONEY....................and the "HILLS" are alive with the ...........................wake UP Saf it's ALL a DREEEEMMMMMM..... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(....................

I COULDA BEEN A CONTENDAAH.....................OK maybe NOT...... :think: :nono: :skid: :drive: :skid: :skid: :skid: :drive: :drive: :drive: :skid: :banana: :banana: :drive2: :drive2: :drive2: :drive2: :drive2:

On second tho'ts...if an English BUTTON can screw UP 5 times in practise..   and be F1 Campioni....maybe me and Max have a chancer eh!!!!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:13:17 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +44/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 128i, 2017 Kia RIO EX, 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WDGMC Sierra
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2009, 03:55:18 pm »
Jeremy Cato seems to like the new LFA:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/driving-it-home/new-lexus-halo-car-will-curl-your-toes/article1335625/

New Lexus halo car will curl your toes
Jeremy Cato

Yes, I've driven it – the 2011 Lexus LFA super car. All 552 horsepower of it. It's fast, it's serious and it's sexy.

I'll have more details next Thursday in Globe Auto, but I can say now that Lexus finally, finally will have a halo car that casts a high-performance shadow across the whole brand.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2009, 09:16:44 pm »
In all fairness, they're not entirely lacking in mid-priced performance machines:

It may be that Toyota decided that a GT-R fighter would be too similar to the IS-F in the grand scheme of things and that it would cannibalize IS-F sales more than bringing in new buyers.  I'd like to see a new Supra too, but I think it's a legitimate concern.

Though maybe the answer would have been to shorten the IS-F's wheelbase, scrap the back seat and back doors, and keep the rest and call it the new Toyota Supra V8?  It'd be a parts-bin special of a parts-bin special, but at least they wouldn't lose money on every one they sold like the LFA.

Fair point. And certainly a possible sceanrio - there's an IS (convertible) coupe now... perhaps an IS-F coupe is in the cards? And if they were to offer that, maybe (big maybe), a cheaper Toyota Supra based on the same platform? A la what Nissan/Infiniti has done with the 350Z/G35...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2009, 12:01:54 am »

Around here, most folks with money prefer to show it.

Must be a North American thing, I know tons of people who would rather buy a Noble rather than something with more cachet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_M400

Mitlov

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2009, 01:30:45 am »

Around here, most folks with money prefer to show it.

Must be a North American thing, I know tons of people who would rather buy a Noble rather than something with more cachet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_M400

America invented the Corvette and the Mustang.  Britain invented the Rolls-Royce and the Bentley.  Are you sure about that theory? ;)

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2009, 01:35:23 am »
America invented the Corvette and the Mustang.  Britain invented the Rolls-Royce and the Bentley.  Are you sure about that theory? ;)

Maybe, but England invented the Cateram, which is cheaper and faster. :P

Offline bensonc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Venza AWD
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2010, 10:02:11 am »
If that gas pedel does stick, hell is close.
The engine sound great and rev build up so quick!!!  :rofl:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 10:04:04 am by bensonc »

DrJay

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2010, 12:53:41 pm »
The rear-end looks good with its R8-ish elements but the front-end just doesn't work for me.  I think it's the headlights design that fugs it up.   :P

Since the Lexus LF-A will have a limited run of 500 units and a price tag north of 400 000 USD, I suppose that the akward elements of the design will be quickly forgiven.  The 4.8L V10 with a 9000 redline will certainly help.

Supercar or Hypercar?

The sound of this car is incredible.  Having an F1 derived V10 will make it worth the price of admission for some.

Holy Crap! I need a raise or a lottery win ... I am all the way in with this one!  With limited production, has anyone mentioned how many NA will get or will it be by order only?

vdk

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2010, 12:58:32 pm »
Interesting article from C&D: Behold the New Lexus WTF Column

DrJay

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2010, 01:13:28 pm »
Interesting article from C&D: Behold the New Lexus WTF Column

Thanks for sharing. A must read IMO puts things in perspective (explains a few things) but does'nt diminish the fact that the car is awesome.