Author Topic: Electrics are to make some serious noise  (Read 4901 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Electrics are to make some serious noise
« on: October 16, 2009, 04:06:48 pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/automobiles/14hybrid.html?_r=2&hp

Working with Hollywood special-effects wizards, some hybrid auto companies have started tinkering in sound studios, rather than machine shops, to customize engine noises. The Fisker Karma, an $87,900 plug-in hybrid expected to go on sale next year, will emit a sound — pumped out of speakers in the bumpers — that the company founder, Henrik Fisker, describes as “a cross between a starship and a Formula One car.”

Nissan is also consulting with the film industry on sounds that could be emitted by its forthcoming Leaf battery-electric vehicle, while Toyota has been working with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the National Federation of the Blind and the Society of Automotive Engineers on sounds for electric vehicles.

well, you know what happens when one blind leads the other  :stick:  :rofl2: Booooriiiiing, Toyota!

It's nice to see Nissan on board. While the Leaf's exterior is a fail (in my current opinion) I wouldn't mind one if it sounds like an old school SS.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
Re: Electrics are to make some serious noise
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 05:20:17 pm »

Leviathan

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 04:47:25 pm »
I'd want mine to sound like the Jetsons http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjy-fnsmWR4

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 05:13:01 pm »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 09:18:48 pm »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 09:24:41 pm »
Yea, some claim they are TOO quiet...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 08:25:13 am »
... ???....a clothes PEG and a piece of CARDBOARD.................................. :o
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 11:00:26 am »
... ???....a clothes PEG and a piece of CARDBOARD.................................. :o

that would work...need spokes!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 07:53:16 pm »
http://money.cnn.com/2010/05/19/autos/electric_car_noise/index.htm?section=money_autos

"EW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Automakers and advocates for the blind have agreed on a plan to address an unintended problem caused by electric and hybrid cars: They endanger sight-impaired and distracted pedestrians because they make no noise when running on electric power.

The groups joined together to present Congress with a proposal for minimum noise levels that future electric cars would have to make.
Sometimes even sighted pedestrians can be unaware of the cars' approach.

"As a person who walks my dog in Virginia, where there are no sidewalks, I've been startled by hybrid cars, too," said Gloria Bergquist, vice president of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers.

A study done last year by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration showed that hybrid cars tend to hit pedestrians more often than other cars in situations where the approaching car cannot be seen.

The AAM, along with the Association of International Automobile Manufacturers, the American Council for the Blind and the National Federation for the Blind, presented Congress with suggested language that could become part of the Motor Safety Act of 2010, a bill now moving through Congress that would create a host of new auto safety rules.

The proposed language would have NHTSA create a new safety standard for electrically powered cars involving some sort of minimum sound required when operating at low speeds. At higher speeds, wind and tire noise are typically enough to make the car detectable.

The sound couldn't be just anything. For instance, vehicle owners would not be able to "customize" the sound of their car the same way they can download ringtones for cell phones. That's specifically prohibited in the proposed rule.

Instead, car manufacturers would provide an approved sound or set of sounds for a given make and model of car.

It would be up to NHTSA to set the minimum noise level a vehicle would have to make at givens speeds and to determine what sort of sounds would be allowed. The sounds would need to communicate something about the car's speed and acceleration, just as the sound of a rumbling gasoline engine does."

Oh, well...
I was driving through a Costco lot today and one idiot almost walked into me while texting (my car wasn't moving) and the others did not hear me while I was driving between rows of cars, or maybe didn't care to let me pass through [Toronto?]
General public IMO should get used to the idea that cars will be getting quieter, while disabled ppl could wear some electronic device that would communicate with electric cars, making the latter emit some noise while around such people.
It seems to be almost a fashion trend lately to make everything safe on the government's part while we, armed with ABS, ESP, airbags and so on choose to take advantage of all that while texting, talking, reading, applying makeup, eating and drinking instead of concentrating on either crossing a road or driving a car.
P.S. to Ghosn: plz make it a G37 coupe  ;)

Nathan@1010tires

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 02:14:54 pm »
Mario Brothers theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEKDF_WbMlg

Oh, yes.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:18:46 pm by Nathan@1010tires »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 12:57:23 pm »
This works too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7A9Y5dwPHI
 :rofl2:
credit:autobloggreen

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 01:10:50 pm »
 :rofl2:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 01:27:04 pm »
Bridge would be all over those BIG Honkers..... :P

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 02:13:21 pm »

A couple of weeks ago, I saw some kids on bikes doing that...I didn't know anyone still did that, haven't seen it in years.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 02:16:18 pm »

A couple of weeks ago, I saw some kids on bikes doing that...I didn't know anyone still did that, haven't seen it in years.

My seven year old and his buddies do this regularly.  Just last night he asked me to cut a chunk of plastic from a milk jug to use rather than a piece of cardboard.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 04:18:11 pm »
My eldest son's pedal tractor has a lever that engages a thin strip of metal which clicks on the driving sprocket making a diesel-like ticking noise.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 04:39:44 pm »
^^So it sounds like a Subaru then??   ;D

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 08:13:27 pm »
Pretty much.   :rofl2: :rofl:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 12:43:23 am »
I think one of the best things about electric cars is the near silent operation.