Author Topic: Toronto Shoot - Pics & Details  (Read 10218 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Toronto Shoot - Pics & Details
« on: October 15, 2009, 12:17:48 am »
OK, I thought I'd start another thread so that these were on the first page. So, I set myself a goal for this shoot, basically to take some black and white shots of Toronto to try and capture the atmosphere of the city, and to nail the skyline shot I've been after all year.  It can be difficult with kids to make time for things like this, but my wife was a star and let me indulge.
  :heart: :flowers:

I started the day at 5am, got to Toronto at around 6:30am.  I parked down near the ferry so I wouldn't have far to walk after going out to the islands in the evening.  I e-mailed Jeff and some people in work to help plan a route around the city and interesting things to see, this helped tremendously as I would have been wandering around aimlessly otherwise.

If you haven't seen it already I put together a video of the shots, with some soulful music from Metric, a Toronto band (thanks Jeff).
VIDEO LINKY

All the shots were taken in colour (RAW) and then converted to black and white in photoshop.  Rather than post all the settings, if you want any, just ask.  I used the Sigma wide angle lens a lot (10-20mm) to emphasise the height of the buildings, it's such a great lens.  I tried a few different styles, used the tripod where needed, and also took some "from the hip" Cartier Bresson style, which was fun.  OK, here we go.

Shooting street candids is tough as the best of times, shooting homeless people sort of feels like you are taking advantage. I don't think I could do photojournalism for a living, I think I'd always want to intervene.  I got this shot just after having missed out on an awesome shot, because I asked someone if I could photograph them and they said no.  So I changed my tack to shoot first, ask permission later (if at all).  The background speaks for itself, I love it.

Urban Angel

This was shot from the hip walking through the tunnels under the railway tracks.  50mm, set to f/2.2, focus a few metres in front, continuous shooting, and fire away!  I love the juxtaposition with the first shot, these people were more concerned with the contents of their lattes than anything else going on around them.

Coffee

These three large black buildings in the financial sector look so ominous and serious, everything is very uniform and immaculate.  They are so black and flat they remind me of the monoliths in 2001, an advanced form of multifunction robot.  I love the way the clouds came in just to give the shot that impending sense of doom.

Monolith

Brookfield Place (formerly BCE Place), the "crystal cathedral of commerce".  Now I didn't know about this place, it wasn't on my route, I just sort of stumbled on it by accident after walking through one of the doors.  I looked up, and WOW!  I'm sure this place has been shot thousands of times, so instead of the futuristic look, I went for something altogether more industrial in the processing.  To me the finished item looks more like the large factories and industrial ship building yards of the Northern England and Scotland.

I had to re-edit for DPC, but 20th out of over 200 isn't bad, quite pleased with that!
http://www.dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=826176
 :)

Dark Arches

This shot I processed differently from the rest, sort of a blurry gritty glow.  It was shot through the mucky windows of the CN/Skydome walkway.  Not an amazing shot by any means, but I got it for a friend of mine who loves trains!

VIA

This triangular building is down near Front St, I took a few shots from different angles but this on is my fave.  The wide angle hides the sides completely and really makes it look like a tower right up to the sky.  I don't know much about the architecture but the design of the widows remind me of those on the Glasgow tenements which is where I grew up as a child, something very comforting and sturdy about the design.

Esplanade Tower

Shooting for black and white you have to look for tones, reflections, angles and shapes much more than for colour. I really love how this steel and glass structure came out.  A bit abstract but with every grey tone in there!

Angles

This is one of my favourite shots of all of them.  When the sun hits the RBC building in the morning it acts as a giant golden reflector, lighting up the opposite side of the street with a soft glow.  What I really like about this shot apart from the lighting is the fact it contains people and transport.  Sometimes when you are trying to cature a cityscape you want as few distractions as possible in the shot, but with the bus, the people, and the wide angle making the buildings lean in to me it lends a real small town feel.  You'll see the same again with one of the other shots.

Front St Life

Another candid.  This one was a bit more fun as the guy didn't mind being photographed at all, but this shot from the side worked best.  The Leafs were in Dundas Sq doing some sort of show all day, so with the music blaring this gentleman decide to dance and drum away.  The fact he's wearing a tie is just a bonus, and the ambulance is the sobering element to his situation.

Drummer

Again looking for shots that wouldn't normally be shot, I really like this one of the CN Tower.  It makes it look a bit futuristic, a bit Jetson's!  Being someone who likes symmetry, the unequal window sizes plus the window missing from the bottom left add that little bit of chaos for me.

CN Reflection

Not sure of the security arrangements on the subway, another one shot from the hip to avoid attention.

Arrival

This is the other cityscape/life shot I was talking about.  Again great lighting, planning, and a sturdy tripod allowed me to really capture the scene.  This is where I got accosted by security, who accused me of being a potential terrorist and asked me to move on.  Seeing as I was on the larger stones (privately owned), and not the smaller stones of the sidewalk I had no choice.  But once again I got the shot first, yay!  How did they know I was part of the Judean People's Front!  :rofl2:

Shapes Financial

This is a mural over a car park near Dundas, it's part of the Paint Your Faith celebration, I found a link here:
http://www.wondercafe.ca/paint_your_faith
And lucky for me they have only recently finished it.  If you get a chance do check it out, it's amazing.  It's on the corner of Shuter and Church IIRC.  I must say, heading East of Yonge St is certainly an experience!  The way the area around Dundas St E, Bond St, Church St etc changes from what is West of there is incredible, it's like it's only a few metres away but it's like another world.

Car Park Mural

Now this shot may not seem special to you guys, but to us Brits who only associate the term "street car" with "desire" it's an unfamiliar romantic element of North American culture that I wanted to capture.

Street Cars Westbound

Another subway shot, this time with me pressed up against a wall.  Same as the street car sign, the subway isn't a familiar tool of transport to me, it's an icon of city life.  A living breathing mechanism to get everyone around in semi chaos, the ebb and flow of people who know exactly where they are going, have the correct change, and do not deviate from their paper or playlist.  You can hear it wherever you are, you can feel the heat venting from the buildings and streets.

Departure

This place is special to me.  When we came here in 2004 for a city break the first night we went around the corner from the hotel to Mr Greenjean's for a meal.  It was hilarious, I ordered burger and chips, and got exactly that, a burger and a plate of chips (me thinking I had ordered fries!)  :rofl2:  First lesson in language ha ha.  I just remember being amazed at the number of levels in the Eaton centre, and with a food court and access to the subway and PATH system I thought, why would you ever go above ground! 

I proposed to my wife a couple of days later in the CN Tower, the rest is history.

Eaton Centre

I do love doing night/long exposure shots, especially capturing car light trails.  This is a combination of a few exposures at Dundas Sq.  The blurry people really make it for me too.

Dundas Lights

And my final shot.  I got the ferry out to Centre Island at around 5:30pm hoping to catch any rays of evening sun, unfortunately it was too cloudy for any sunset shots.  So I sat it out until it got dark, on a spooky rocky outcrop, me being the only one who got off the ferry!  I am so pleased with how it came out, it was just as I had imagined it.  I was a bit worried about half an hour earlier as the light was going down but none of the offices had switched on any lights at all, I thought it was going to be a very dark skyline! 

Skyline

Hope you enjoy the shots, any comments and constructive criticism are welcome.  I'll be making a 2010 calendar available in a couple of days if anyone wants one. (See Below)

;D

Editied to add a link to my calendar, I can't wait to get one!

Toronto Calendar by Rob Smith
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:44:26 am by Just Bob »

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: Toronto Shoot - Pics & Details
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 12:31:52 am »
Well WTF else is new?  Evertytime you post pics, you make me feel worse about myself for a lack of artistic talent.  Dirty bastard!

As always....outstanding work.  I expect nothing less.  :)

I'll be in TO this Thur/Fri and possibly Sat with Import Queen.  Maybe get together for a beer and a stogie, Bob??
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:34:28 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Leviathan

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 12:38:50 am »
you suck  ;D

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 12:46:17 am »
you suck  ;D

LOL, taken on board.  :rofl2:

Thanks RR.  Wish I could, really do, but got lots to do this weekend unfortunately..  :(

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 01:19:03 am »
Wow! Truly outstanding photos, as usual.

I lived in Toronto from '80 to '87, so it was fun to see the city again. Even though I'm sure lots has changed, your photos were instantly familiar - not just the physical landmarks, but the way the images capture the feel of the place.

Fantastic job!

vdk

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 01:30:30 am »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 01:35:40 am »
not just the physical landmarks, but the way the images capture the feel of the place.

Fantastic job!

That's great to hear, thanks!

LOL at vdk!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 10:17:23 am »
Once again, truly amazing work. :thumbup: 

Check your PM

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +44/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 128i, 2017 Kia RIO EX, 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WDGMC Sierra
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 12:24:11 pm »
Very well done. There is something about the Eaton Centre shot that really captivates me.

Something about it reminds me of some Escher art work.

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 12:36:38 pm »
Beautiful shots Rob!  Hmmm I may be calling you about using your shots for a real estate calendar. 

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 01:15:10 pm »
Great work!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 06:22:27 pm »
Nice work, Bob. 

Was that a GE P42DC engine in VIA Rail colours?  Did you see any of the old EMD F40PH?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 09:29:56 pm »
Beautiful shots Rob!  Hmmm I may be calling you about using your shots for a real estate calendar. 

Thanks all, sounds good Tim!

Spock, I have no idea... I only know British engines, Class 37's, 47's etc.

baumer00

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 09:37:50 pm »
Great job, you really are an artist.

Offline Mr. Black

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 12:41:02 am »
Awesome!  :)

Leviathan

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 01:41:44 pm »
Great job, you really are an artist.
Indeed. Nice to see someone on top of their "game" like this  :)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 01:46:30 pm »
..so...yer just a wee Glaswegian nyaff efter 'a..wi' a good 'ee..........................Tenament BOB :stick:..................GOOD SHOW OLD CHAP............................... :winner:..don't let winnin' tha noballs prize go ta yer heid laddie............
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:51:37 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 05:22:09 pm »
From Just Bob:
How did they know I was part of the Judean People's Front!

Hey!  This forum is for the People's Front of Judea!  Get lost! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Great photos, Bob.  That financial district shot is amazing.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 12:43:20 pm »
Great work. Not keen on the Coffee or the tube coming into the station. It's my eyes sorry.  ;D

I'm wondering if you ever try a holga?   http://microsites.lomography.com/holga/

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 11:51:28 pm »
Great work. Not keen on the Coffee or the tube coming into the station. It's my eyes sorry.  ;D

I'm wondering if you ever try a holga?   http://microsites.lomography.com/holga/

Not yet, I am gonna get one though just for the fun of it, might give Elliot one too.  In the meantime I have a "Holga" filter to work with in photoshop.  :rofl2: