Author Topic: My 42 year wait...  (Read 79780 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: My 42 year wait...
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2010, 09:37:05 pm »
Or at least one that isn't as compact and crammed in. Work on one and you'll understand. Time for my hands to heal.  ;D

I wonder if the oil-pressure idiot light switch is still on the front top of the engine?  They are prone to leak oil all over the exhaust causing a great smoke show.   I've changed mine twice, it requires a ratchet and socket, 2 universal joints, 2 extensions, a mirror and great patience.  Some people drop the engine a few inches to get to it.

I've worked on worse though, I once owned a British car. ;D
Mr Pickypants

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2010, 09:48:54 pm »
$5 in spray paint, and $10 in plastic cover can qualify as art!

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2010, 10:25:47 pm »
The old original IROC RSR cars had nicer bays.

Now that is nice and so simple. It reminds me of the earlier 911s of the 60s and 70s.

What engine was that based on? I see lots of ignition wires; is that a dual plugged engine?
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2010, 10:39:29 pm »
I wonder if the oil-pressure idiot light switch is still on the front top of the engine?  They are prone to leak oil all over the exhaust causing a great smoke show.   I've changed mine twice, it requires a ratchet and socket, 2 universal joints, 2 extensions, a mirror and great patience.  Some people drop the engine a few inches to get to it.

Yes, it is still on top towards the rear and it looks like it sits above the engine oil filter.

I never had much use for my universal joints and mirror...till now. I use the 1/4" drive to get most of the job done and then finish off with the 3/8" drive if needed. The swivel mirror lets me see what I can't see.

Then you must be one hell of an incredible mechanic and above all...great electrician. LOL There is a reason why the British drink warm beer...because Lucas made the refrigerators. Lucas is also known as the Prince of Darkness.  :rofl:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2010, 10:55:53 pm »

Yes, it is still on top towards the rear and it looks like it sits above the engine oil filter.

I never had much use for my universal joints and mirror...till now. I use the 1/4" drive to get most of the job done and then finish off with the 3/8" drive if needed. The swivel mirror lets me see what I can't see.

Then you must be one hell of an incredible mechanic and above all...great electrician. LOL There is a reason why the British drink warm beer...because Lucas made the refrigerators. Lucas is also known as the Prince of Darkness.  :rofl:

Bitter is best served slightly cold, but not ice cold.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2010, 09:55:57 am »
Bitter is best served slightly cold, but not ice cold.

Bob, I don't think they drink warm beer, if they ever did.

The anti-Lucas thing is what comes about in our motorcycle circles. Someone I know had Ariel Square Fours, BSAs, a Sunbeam (which was on display at the Guggenheim museum) and other British bikes, but his daily driver was a BMW...something he could trust on long trips.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2010, 10:34:44 am »
Now that is nice and so simple. It reminds me of the earlier 911s of the 60s and 70s.

What engine was that based on? I see lots of ignition wires; is that a dual plugged engine?

I wish it were in mine.  That's a 1974 RSR 3.0 liter with mechanical fuel-injection, and yes it's dual-plugged (you don't want to know how much that distributor costs)  Good for about 330hp at 8000rpm.

Sounds like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrGy80CUi9g&feature=related
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:44:44 am by blur911 »

speed12sil

« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2010, 04:23:46 pm »
Have a question for you. Is it just me or does the 993 have the steering wheel slightly offset to the right when you sit in the driver seat? I find myself having to turn to the right about 3 degrees from straight ahead to be able to hold the wheel.

I just wish I could hear the engine sound more from the inside. I know how loud and wonderful it is when standing outside the car, but inside, I can't really hear much of the engine when it's being pushed hard.

Your engine bay is ridiculously clean. Damn :o

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2010, 07:17:27 pm »
Have a question for you. Is it just me or does the 993 have the steering wheel slightly offset to the right when you sit in the driver seat? I find myself having to turn to the right about 3 degrees from straight ahead to be able to hold the wheel.

I haven't noticed it, but then I only bought the car late last summer.

I'm 188 cm and have plenty of headroom. My only complaint is knee-room ahead of the steering wheel, but I also got used to that.

I just wish I could hear the engine sound more from the inside. I know how loud and wonderful it is when standing outside the car, but inside, I can't really hear much of the engine when it's being pushed hard.

My ashtray and cigarette lighter have never been used.  ??? So what does that have to do with anything? I now keep a pair of those yellow foam ear plugs in the ashtray. If I'm just cruising on the highway which is very rare as I usually take twisty back roads, the engine noise can get annoying at a constant RPM.

My OEM mufflers are the ones modified by Robin Sun in the US. They are loud enough on the outside according to my friend who heard me coming up the street from a distance, yet when he came along for a ride he said it was very quiet inside. The 993 has very good sound insulation.

speed12sil

« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2010, 02:15:09 am »
Thanks for the reply. I was getting confused about the ashtray part until I saw the ear plugs being stored there :D

Oh forgot to say. Congratulations on your purchase of a beautiful '95 yellow 993. I don't know if you made the car even cleaner than it already was, but that is just so nice and clean(sorry my vocab is limited  :P)

By the way, do you intend on auto-crossing your 993? That can be really fun(if you haven't done so before already).

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2010, 05:52:49 pm »
By the way, do you intend on auto-crossing your 993? That can be really fun(if you haven't done so before already).

I'm trying to convince him, it's starting up soon ;D

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2010, 08:25:18 pm »
I don't know if you made the car even cleaner than it already was, but that is just so nice and clean (sorry my vocab is limited  :P)

The car was quite clean; it just wasn't my kind of clean. The engine bay looks the way it does because I went at it with my special soap. After fourteen years, there was a fair share of the usual oil mist coating on everything.

Why do you say that your vocab limited? I never noticed anything.

By the way, do you intend on auto-crossing your 993? That can be really fun (if you haven't done so before already).

Most probably not; I'm not rich enough. But I will get a friend of mine who is a Porsche driving instructor to take me around the track just so that I can experience what the car is really capable of.

I was thinking of treating myself to a Porsche Driving School next winter in the US.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2010, 08:33:04 pm »
I'm trying to convince him, it's starting up soon ;D

Too late Blur! You should have tried me when I had the burning desire to hit the track.

In the early to mid 70s when I was in my teens, I would write the Jim Russell school for an info pack. Back then, a three-day course in a Formula Ford was about $695. That amount might as well have been $1M to me and there was no way my mom could have treated me to something like that.

I still have the JR stickers and patches.  ;)

BTW, I started driving my mom's VW Beetle when I was 8 and when I was 12, I was driving the city streets in Montreal. Start em early I say!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2010, 10:48:09 pm »
By the way, do you intend on auto-crossing your 993? That can be really fun (if you haven't done so before already).

Most probably not; I'm not rich enough. But I will get a friend of mine who is a Porsche driving instructor to take me around the track just so that I can experience what the car is really capable of.

Are you anywhere within a reasonable drive to Picton, Ontario?   
May 16th, Picton Airport, only $25.
Scary rides are free

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2010, 09:09:18 am »
Scary rides are free.

$25 is the least of my worries. Its the tires, brakes, etc. that I was thinking of.

Too close to my departure for my Alps motorcycle tour. I have lots to do before then.

I'll send you a PM before the end of the weekend.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2010, 01:15:22 pm »
Scary rides are free.

$25 is the least of my worries. Its the tires, brakes, etc. that I was thinking of.

Yeah, I know  ;)

It really isn't that bad though, although I've been through a few sets of brake pads I'm still on the same rotors for 15 years.   A set of R888 rears lasted probably about 80 runs, fronts twice that, and I drive there on them; a typical autoslalom is 5 or 6 runs.
Besides that, help the economy, support a tireworker and wear 'em off  ;D

Some people come out with full-tread tires on powerful cars and overheat/overdrive them and get excessive wear. Hoosiers or V710 can also wear quickly on the airport surface. 

BTW, what tires are on your car and how much do you expect to drive it?

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2010, 06:25:48 pm »

Front: Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position; 205/50 ZR 17
Rear: Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position; 255/40 ZR 17

I went with the original 17s over the 18s that the owner had on the car prior to the sale.

They are near the end of their life and from what I could tell, a bit old and hard.

I plan on getting the OEM rims restored next winter and installing a set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires. I'll go for grip over wear since it'll only see occasional use.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2010, 09:42:48 pm »

Front: Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position; 205/50 ZR 17
Rear: Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position; 255/40 ZR 17

I plan on getting the OEM rims restored next winter and installing a set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires. I'll go for grip over wear since it'll only see occasional use.

I'd go for something with even more grip then.  Something like a Dunlop Star Spec.  Higher performance then the Michelin, stupid amount cheaper, plus they'll be worn out by the time they get hard. Of course YMMV.

215/45ZR17 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
Blackwall   In Stock    2    $121.00   $242.00
255/40ZR17 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
Blackwall   In Stock    2    $159.00   $318.00

Shipping Options from New Castle, Delaware (choose one)   Shipping Method   Estimated Delivery Date   Cost
   UPS Standard (Canada)   04/23/2010 - 04/26/2010    $122.16

Additional Fees and TaxesExcise Tax:   $0.00
GST:   $32.62
PST:   $60.11
Duty:   $39.20
Provincial Tire Fee:   $23.36
Brokerage Fee:   $30.00
Grand Total (USD):   $867.45

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2010, 07:26:35 pm »
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec...

Looks like a good tire but it doesn't come in a 205/50 -17. I'm sticking to stock sizing.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2010, 10:11:44 pm »
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec...

Looks like a good tire but it doesn't come in a 205/50 -17. I'm sticking to stock sizing.

Bigger is sometimes better, small fronts are to make sure it tends to naturally understeer, which keeps lawyers happy.  I always run 225 fronts on 7" rims.  How wide are your front rims?

All IMHO of course, your car.   ;D