Author Topic: My 42 year wait...  (Read 79721 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: My 42 year wait...
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2010, 11:36:12 am »

I'll have to look up Loctite 574. Do you have gaskets or rubber seals? I use Loctite Gasket Adhesive on my gaskets, a red spray that becomes extremely tacky in minutes. They never leak thereafter, but are more difficult to remove.

574 is what Porsche uses (used?) at the factory to seal crankcases.  It also works great on side covers and such on bikes.  Look out for North American Loctite products as since they were bought by Permatex many of the products are inferior Permatex product in Loctite packaging.
My 911 valve cover gaskets are of the thick gasket paper type with beads of silicone-like substance on one of the sealing surfaces.  I coat the other surface with 574;  also used it to seal up my transmission.  Bought it at Canadian Bearings.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2010, 10:24:52 pm »
Great story!

I've never really been into Porsche, but after reading what you're all saying, I got to test drive one (as well as a M3) sometime down the line...  :P

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +44/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 128i, 2017 Kia RIO EX, 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WDGMC Sierra
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2010, 10:36:58 pm »
Well done.  Does my heart good to see someone love such a wonderful car so much :thumbup:
:iagree:

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2010, 10:37:51 pm »
Well done.  Does my heart good to see someone love such a wonderful car so much :thumbup:
:iagree:

That reminds me, I can't believe what mint condition that car is in!   :o

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2010, 11:22:24 pm »
Great story!

I've never really been into Porsche, but after reading what you're all saying, I got to test drive one (as well as a M3) sometime down the line...  :P

Julie, this is your lucky day because Mark Motors in Ottawa has a 2005 Carrera GT with only 11,890 kms. Problem is...they are asking $389,900.

http://mark-motors.porschedealer.com/2005/Porsche/+Carrera+GT/Ottawa/ON/GT+Silver+Metallic/silver/538025/info.php

You don't want to know what a brake disc alone costs on that car.  :o

The M3 is far more practical and easier to maintain. A Porsche is not easy to work on. I'm amazed I haven't lost it...must be true love. The drive is very worth it though, at least to me.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2010, 11:45:43 pm »
Great story!

Julie, this is your lucky day because Mark Motors in Ottawa has a 2005 Carrera GT with only 11,890 kms. Problem is...they are asking $389,900.

http://mark-motors.porschedealer.com/2005/Porsche/+Carrera+GT/Ottawa/ON/GT+Silver+Metallic/silver/538025/info.php

You don't want to know what a brake disc alone costs on that car.  :o

The M3 is far more practical and easier to maintain. A Porsche is not easy to work on. I'm amazed I haven't lost it...must be true love. The drive is very worth it though, at least to me.

:o   

Yup, I think I'd be a muuuuuuuuuuuuuch lower priced Boxster/Cayman-type gal.  Apparently they drive really well (e.g. C & D 10 best list).

I don't do well with 'not very practical or easy to maintain' though.... 

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2010, 10:25:56 am »
I wish I hade more mechanical knowledge, that's why I desperately want to build my own.  I wish I could get a new Caterham kit over here...  :'(

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2010, 10:55:16 am »
I wish I hade more mechanical knowledge, that's why I desperately want to build my own.  I wish I could get a new Caterham kit over here...  :'(
I totally sympathise with you.

I desperately wanted a Caterham while I was in the UK but at no time in the 29 years I lived there did I have access to a garage to build one. ( the first 20+ of those years I could not afford to even look at the kit)  After moving to Canada it was not possible for various reasons... house with no garage for instance.  Now in my dotage I doubt I could get out of one... I'd get in with the help of gravity.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2010, 11:09:46 am »

Hire A Student ... to build it?  :)

I can top up fluids and change tyres, anything else is beyond my capabilities.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2010, 11:24:09 am »

Hire A Student ... to build it?  :)

I can top up fluids and change tyres, anything else is beyond my capabilities.

I WANT to build it, to look at every part and see how it goes together and why.  It's the only way I'll learn.

Anything else, I take apart, then call the garage when I can't get it back together...  :rofl2:

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2010, 11:52:03 am »
You R the Student For Hire ... work for peanuts?  :)

I do want to build a car or re-build one of my current one. 

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2010, 12:55:27 pm »
Oh I see what you mean.  New Caterhams are not allowed in though.  >:(

I'll figure it out at some point, I'll buy an old one and take it apart first.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2010, 01:07:45 pm »
Stock up on Duct Tape ...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2010, 01:45:18 pm »
..start wif BIGGER patio doors............................................... ::) :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2010, 08:04:10 pm »
Well its all back together with no spare parts or fasteners remaining...like there could be.  ;)

Twelve new spark plugs were installed.
New upper and lower valve cover gaskets were installed.

A learning experience to say the least, but the drive is worth it countless times over. To own one of these, you better be a good wrench or have a deep wallet for the hourly shop rates.

Somewhere under the left fuel rail is an upper valve cover and three spark plugs. To get to them, you need access from above and below. The dual distributors are in the foreground...

The view after removing the blower motor and ducting...

Somewhere under the right fuel rail is an upper valve cover and three spark plugs. To get to them, you need access from above and below. The power steering pump (what do I need that for at speed) is in the background, the AC is in the foreground...

The view after removing the airbox...

Look at those nice frame rails...all original and fifteen years old.  :banana:

I'm good for at least five years before going through all that again. :banghead:

This week the exhaust system goes back on and finally, I get to start it.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2010, 08:45:46 pm »
I just wish 911's had a nicer engine bay.  Even that GT3 I shot, I took a couple of pics of the engine bay but never used them for anything, it just looks like the inside of a washing machine, such a shame for a nice car.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2010, 08:54:17 pm »
I just wish 911's had a nicer engine bay.

Or at least one that isn't as compact and crammed in. Work on one and you'll understand. Time for my hands to heal.  ;D

But its all behind you when you're driving...and what sound.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2010, 09:07:02 pm »
I just wish 911's had a nicer engine bay.

Or at least one that isn't as compact and crammed in. Work on one and you'll understand. Time for my hands to heal.  ;D

But its all behind you when you're driving...and what sound.

I know, but a nice engine is a work of art.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2010, 09:23:48 pm »
The old original IROC RSR cars had nicer bays, but still with the flat engine design and sheet metal it's hard to see much of the engine.   911 engines actually look mechanically more attractive from below.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2010, 09:28:04 pm »
...work of ART...more like a Carney barker's lounge.................nice warm spot fer racoon Lodge "guests".............