Author Topic: Fall Photography Thread  (Read 65893 times)

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
Re: Fall Photography Thread
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2009, 12:13:42 pm »
Near Drumheller, AB.

"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2009, 12:27:17 pm »
Here's a closer crop of the first photo...and a second photo of a bee in flight.

:o

:o :o

I need a better camera now.  Great shot.
Mr Pickypants

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2009, 02:18:12 pm »
Near Drumheller, AB.

Beautiful, so sharp, it looks like it was drawn! How did you do that?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2009, 03:56:57 pm »
That's an awesome shot Cord!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2009, 05:06:22 pm »
Awesome shot, Cord.  Looks like a painting.  :)

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2009, 06:09:48 pm »
On today's hike... a female Garden or Corn Spider in her classic zig-zag web.  Her body alone was two inches long!  I could have gotten closer, but I was a bit intimidated.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2009, 06:10:43 pm »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2009, 10:53:43 pm »
On today's hike... a female Garden or Corn Spider in her classic zig-zag web.  Her body alone was two inches long!  I could have gotten closer, but I was a bit intimidated.

Yeech. Ontario is indeed a Godless place, much as we were taught.

Bitchin' paintwork on that bad boy.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2009, 11:01:07 pm »
 :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

And yes... quite the markings.  Like some weird Goth pig.  ;D

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2009, 11:08:14 pm »
Is it my imagination or has that spider spelled out the word MUMMY? Just tilt your head to the right... :o

Beautiful, so sharp, it looks like it was drawn! How did you do that?

Every time I go there I think the same thing - that the view looks like a painting. I did some processing on the photo but less that you'd expect - just increased the contrast, saturated the colors a bit, and sharpened. I was very happy with the result. I'm glad you enjoyed it.  

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2009, 05:37:05 pm »
Is it my imagination or has that spider spelled out the word MUMMY? Just tilt your head to the right... :o 

;D

Hey - simple (silly) question for you photo-types: I'm taking pictures in 4:3 format. Do I have to crop them to 3:2 to get them printed on 4x6 paper? That seems the standard size these days.

(I think I do.  ::))

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2009, 08:30:53 pm »
You probably should crop them to 3:2 if you want to fill the 4x6 paper.  You can leave 4:3 if you are ok with a big white border.  You can also squish and stretch 4:3 into 3:2. 

That spider reminds me of Miss Spider's New Car.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2009, 08:39:47 pm »

;D

Hey - simple (silly) question for you photo-types: I'm taking pictures in 4:3 format. Do I have to crop them to 3:2 to get them printed on 4x6 paper? That seems the standard size these days.

(I think I do.  ::))

Yep.

3:2 for 4x6
7:5 for 5x7 (funnily enough)
5:4 for 10x8

etc.

If you don't crop them, either they will (badly) or you will get white borders.

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2009, 10:52:43 pm »
Thanks, guys.

I was afraid of that.  :-\

Hmm.... 4:3, 3:2 or 1:1   :P

Too many choices with my camera.  :rofl2:

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-167
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2009, 12:37:56 am »
I think of the sensor in my camera the same way that I think of the screen on my big TV.

The boundaries of the sensor or the screen don't determine the composition of the content.

I can watch Casablanca at a 1.33:1 ratio or Forbidden Planet at 2.35:1 on my set. The content is not required to fill all of the space on the screen all of the time.

The most famous medium format camera of all time is the Hasselblad which shot 2 1/4" square images. It was the king of advertising and magazine photography. It went to the moon. I'll bet 95% of all commercially reproduced Hasselblad images were never printed full frame. In fact, even today, most widescreen movies are shot on a full 35mm frame and cropped for theatrical presentation.

Don't let your vision be determined by the shape of your sensor or the popular "snapshot" printing format. Yes, 4x6" is the most popular format for small printing. But 11x14", a common large print format, is more closely matched to the 4x3 aspect ratio. 4x3 also fits 8x10" better than the sensor shape found in most APS-c DSLRs...but these considerations should be secondary. There is no one ideal aspect ratio...for prints or movies.

The picture should be composed in way that best suits the material and your vision of that material.

If you are doing a run of pictures for cousin Ed's Birthday party and you plan to make a bunch of cheap prints, by all means, leave extra space so that people don't get their heads cut of in 4x6" prints.

Just don't use the snapshot format as your guide for serious composition.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2009, 12:46:53 am »

Here's my story on why I'm a bit scared of spiders...

When we were young, we'd play Hide and Seek in the surrounding corn fields.  One day, we were playing, and when I ran to "Home Free", everyone stood there looking at me horrified, unable to say a word.  Turns out running through the corn field, I had run through dozens upon dozens of webs, and the lower half of my body was crawling with a bazillion of those yellow, menacing looking Garden Spiders.

Yea...I'm not a big fan of spiders...though I am in the process of procuring the 2nd/3rd largest spider species in the world...a Brazilian Salmon Tarantula.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2009, 01:32:07 am »
Why oh why RR?

I think of the sensor in my camera the same way that I think of the screen on my big TV.

The boundaries of the sensor or the screen don't determine the composition of the content.

I can watch Casablanca at a 1.33:1 ratio or Forbidden Planet at 2.35:1 on my set. The content is not required to fill all of the space on the screen all of the time.

The most famous medium format camera of all time is the Hasselblad which shot 2 1/4" square images. It was the king of advertising and magazine photography. It went to the moon. I'll bet 95% of all commercially reproduced Hasselblad images were never printed full frame. In fact, even today, most widescreen movies are shot on a full 35mm frame and cropped for theatrical presentation.

Don't let your vision be determined by the shape of your sensor or the popular "snapshot" printing format. Yes, 4x6" is the most popular format for small printing. But 11x14", a common large print format, is more closely matched to the 4x3 aspect ratio. 4x3 also fits 8x10" better than the sensor shape found in most APS-c DSLRs...but these considerations should be secondary. There is no one ideal aspect ratio...for prints or movies.

The picture should be composed in way that best suits the material and your vision of that material.

If you are doing a run of pictures for cousin Ed's Birthday party and you plan to make a bunch of cheap prints, by all means, leave extra space so that people don't get their heads cut of in 4x6" prints.

Just don't use the snapshot format as your guide for serious composition.

I sort of agree, leaving a bit of space is good as then you can choose the print size easier, but it also makes it so you have to crop to get the perfect composition.  I prefer to compose for 3:2 or 5:4 depending on what I'm shooting, I know where 5:4 is in my viewfinder.  If you always rely on cropping for composition then you never learn good composition IMHO.

An example of mine from this thread is the farm shot:

I deliberately shot this wider (it is cropped) in case I wanted a large print from it that wasn't 3:2, but it did take some of the fun out of the in camera composition process.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2009, 01:39:12 am »
Why oh why RR?

Sigh..because I opened my mouth.  And now I have to keep my word.  Import Queen's little guy asked if he could put "something" in my 10 gallon spare display aquarium.  I used to breed snakes and my 12 year old albino corn snake that lived in that display case died.  So it's been un-used since.  I said he could put a critter of his choosing in the tank and that I'd take care of it for him until he was old enough to do it himself.  I thought snake, since he rather enjoyed the ones I had, or possibly a Horned Frog (Pacman Frog).  Maybe a Leopard Gecko.  Well he saw a friend's tarantula...so now it's game on for the tarantula.  I'm scared of spiders, but it's more important to me that I keep my word to a kiddie.

So I'm going to have a gigantic spider in the house.  Will be interesting to say the least...they have a leg span up to 10"+ by the way.... :o
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 01:40:43 am by rrocket »

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2009, 07:28:15 am »
RR - might be a good idea to start writing that obituary now. You just never know what might turn around and bite you! :-\

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2009, 09:56:04 am »
I used to have a corn snake, amazing creatures!