Author Topic: Fall Photography Thread  (Read 65909 times)

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
Re: Fall Photography Thread
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009, 05:58:53 am »
Clever - I wonder if anyone out there has a Bug"B"dun plate? Nice picture.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009, 11:38:54 am »
A friends car. It has twice as much HP as mine.

With all that sizzle under the hood, you need a lot steak sauce!   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-167
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 12:32:03 pm »
I went out this morning to photograph some other subjects but it was a weirdly foggy day. When I got to the end of the block, I turned the camera into the sun at took this picture at 9:00AM here in Winnipeg.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009, 03:44:22 pm »
Photos from today's plant walk.

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2009, 07:45:36 pm »
Two More pics from today.

At the top is a picture of a pumpkin growing in my yard. I looked at it an thought, "That is the GREENEST sight I've ever seen".

The bottom picture is the companion piece to my fog picture. After a bleak foggy start, the day got warm and sunny. Here's a late afternoon picture of the Triumph still going strong in mid-September.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2009, 07:49:02 pm »
Nice all around, Dex.  Meant to comment on your fog shot before I posted mine.   And that pumpkin pic is very green, indeed!  Love it.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2009, 07:55:49 pm »
One forgets how tall tire sidewalls used to be!   Thosr tires look as if they came off an vintage F150. Does that passenger door open if you hit a bump 1/2 way around a corner.  I drove a Tr6 where that happened.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009, 08:32:15 pm »
The tires on the 250 are so old that I think they may have been carved from rock by Fred Flinstone.

They were old and beat up when I got the car in 1994. The previous owner told me to replace them as soon as I got the car. And every year I say I will...and every year, I don't. But, after doing some work on the car this year, I really want to bring it "up to spec" next year. I already have a list of parts I need.

One issue with the tires is my front suspension. Although it tracks straight as an arrow, I can see that the tie-rod ends are overdue for replacement (another thing I was warned about some years ago). And, of course, I repaired my brake problems this year so now I have full braking again. I'm afraid that, if I put fresh tires on the car, they might be TOO good. As it is. the old tires flex and slide a bit which helps keep stress off the suspension. New ones might just transfer all of the force up into the mechanicals and I fear that I'll hit a high-G corner and pop the tie-rod ends :).

And that passenger door is always locked unless I have a passenger (which is very rare).

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2009, 10:45:35 pm »
Remember that rubber corrodes over time, those will be due for replacement ASAP.  P.S. I saw a red TR6 today, love 'em! And great shots too.

Brig' your photos are getting better everytime I see one, is that still your point and shoot?  If so that macro mode is fantastic!

The mushroom one is my fave, the side lighting provides awesome texture to the whole scene, well done!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2009, 11:09:43 pm »
Brig' your photos are getting better everytime I see one, is that still your point and shoot?  If so that macro mode is fantastic!

The mushroom one is my fave, the side lighting provides awesome texture to the whole scene, well done!

Thanks for the feedback, Rob!  The mushroom my favourite, too.  I've noticed that my most serendipitous shots are the ones where something catches my eye, and I'm drawn to it like a magnet.  Light always has something to do with it, as well as colour and texture.  I got down on my belly for that one, which always makes my fellow hikers think I'm a nutjob.  :rofl2:   And yes, still the same point-and-shoot Sony.   :)

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2009, 11:48:44 pm »
My daughter and I took a stroll through the forest/preserve atop Westmount Lookout.  Here are some photos.  More to come later:

The path:

Some colour of the season:

Fossil fuel source? ;D

Closeup:

Berries for the birds?:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 12:12:46 am by random006 »

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2009, 12:03:20 am »
More from today's walkabout:

Fungus Graffiti!:

Fungus Condos?:

My daughter with the seasonal evidence:

Green Energy?:

An arachnid at home:

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2009, 12:08:42 am »
Final set from today:

A rare find:  An excellent condition Jaguar E-Type V-12.  Note the really cool car behind it: :rofl: :rofl:

The dash:

Climate Control, old school? :rofl2:

Rear view, showing the name badge:

Eat my exhaust!:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 12:13:47 am by random006 »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2009, 12:42:52 am »
Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous!

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +44/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 128i, 2017 Kia RIO EX, 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WDGMC Sierra
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2009, 01:17:10 am »
That Jaguar E-Type is.... stunning.   :drool:

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2009, 07:05:06 am »
Even nicer without a front plate to mess with the lines of the grill (lucky Quebecers).  Nice find, Random.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2009, 10:32:16 am »
 Je Me Souviens..................those are a few of my favourite things...E Types..and BRG,,,,graffiti mushrooms that turn into Pumpinks that ....spawn a TR6 at midnite..i've a sudden urge to break out ma Box Brownie.....................nice shots gang..rat a tat tat..... :banana: :thumbup: :winner:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2009, 10:40:00 pm »
For pirate day:

Ahoy, me hearties!  Prepare to be boarded.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2009, 10:43:46 pm »
Damn I forgot it was pirate day...

Anyway, off to bed to shoot sunrise tomorrow.

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2009, 12:50:14 am »
I hope to be shooting some pics on Monday or Tuesday with a NEW LENS I ordered. I haven't had a truly new lens in over a year and a half. I ordered the lens Wednesday from bhphoto. Right now, It's mocking me because it arrived in Winnipeg this morning but UPS doesn't deliver on weekends (unless you pay a lot). So it sits a few blocks away.

The lens is a Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 EX DC Macro.

This will be my first Sigma branded lens. I won't lie to you, Sigma has a reputation as a crapshoot. But this particular lens has an extremely high percentage of very positive reviews. Before ordering, I asked the various 4/3 system (Olympus) gurus and they almost universally endorsed it. Here's the conclusion from the popphoto review of the lens:

"Conclusion:

For tabletop shooters who like to reach out from the camera position to reposition or otherwise manipulate their subject, this 1:3 macro is probably the closest focusing lens in its class. In all, it's a stellar performer, and significantly better by virtually all optical benchmarks than its predecessor, or, for that matter, competitors such as Nikon's comparable 17-55mm f/2.8 ($1,200, street)."

I chose this lens because I needed something in the "normal" range. The Olympus offerrings (14-54 and 12-60) in the standard range are excellent. However, they heavily overap my beloved 11-22mm lens at the lower zoom range where I won't use them. The Sigma can maintain constant f-2.8 through the entire zoom range.

I can hardly wait for the lens to arrive.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 12:12:24 pm by Dexer »